Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461347 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4690 on: January 23, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
I am ready for a trailer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4691 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
I'm betting a teaser soon and then a full blown two minute trailer on May 4th.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4692 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
I wonder if there's a reason the color of the logo was switched to red, or if they felt like the marketing could do with a change.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4693 on: January 23, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
I wonder if there's a reason the color of the logo was switched to red, or if they felt like the marketing could do with a change.

Good question.  But the first thought that came to mind is that the title implies an extinction of the Jedi, and red is the color most associated with the Sith, so it is, like the typical middle chapter of a 3-act story, meant to be in line with the bad buys winning and things looking pretty grim for our heroes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4694 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »
Kylo will kill Luke.

Rey will be revealed to be Luke's daughter making her the last Of the Jedi.

In Episode 9 she will have to train with Maz Kanata to take down Kylo or Snoke - teaming up with Kylo Ren who has turned to the light after being full of remorse...

C3PO will have a pointless cameo and be all camp.

EDIT : -

Haha...

" Star Wars fans who hate the prequels never have a valid argument "

They have several but fanboy sheep never accept them anyway.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4695 on: January 23, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

Good question.  But the first thought that came to mind is that the title implies an extinction of the Jedi, and red is the color most associated with the Sith, so it is, like the typical middle chapter of a 3-act story, meant to be in line with the bad buys winning and things looking pretty grim for our heroes.

Hopefully! I'm a fan of the whole 'second act being the darkest' thing, so you might be on to something.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4696 on: January 24, 2017, 01:27:21 AM »
Finally got to see this. Bit of a rocky start, but ended up really loving it. That ending though...  :'(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4697 on: January 24, 2017, 03:08:42 AM »
I felt nothing at the end.

The Vader scene was pure fan service to me and the lead characters were SO dull and cardboard that when they all died - i felt nothing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4698 on: January 24, 2017, 06:19:29 AM »
Love the title. My first thought was that it's referencing Luke, and that Episode VIII will be all about Luke, but that's obviously pure speculation and there are many other possibilities that people have jumped all over. Either way, really excited to hopefully see a first teaser in a few months.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4699 on: January 24, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »

Superbowl Im guessing we get a teaser trailer

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4700 on: January 24, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »

Superbowl Im guessing we get a teaser trailer
Safe bet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4701 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
It seems like a lot of people are reading way too far into the title. It was said by Yoda "the last of the Jedi will you be" which would indicate that the focus of this movie is on Luke. I don't read it as there will not be anymore Jedi or that Luke dies.  :corn

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4702 on: January 24, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
It seems like a lot of people are reading way too far into the title.

I think that is the very reason they chose the title. It's so ambiguous that you can read into it a few different ways....and certainly whatever trailers or footage they release will fuel or aide any number of those angles or theories....meaning we all know there will be no 'clear cut' affirmation of what the title means until after opening weekend.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4703 on: January 24, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
The opening crawl of TFA directly calls Luke the last Jedi, as does Snoke. So it's just a reference to Luke on a surface level. Given that Rey has now found Luke, she will probably get trained like Luke in ESB, so it may refer to her too.
It really doesn't need to be any more complex than that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4704 on: January 24, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »
Given that Rey has now found Luke, she will probably get trained like Luke in ESB

Nah, it wouldn't be like the franchise to just repeat an old story like that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4705 on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »
The opening crawl of TFA directly calls Luke the last Jedi, as does Snoke. So it's just a reference to Luke on a surface level. Given that Rey has now found Luke, she will probably get trained like Luke in ESB, so it may refer to her too.

:lol No it really doesn't.  But it's the internet and Star Wars, so....here comes 11 months of far stretching pontification.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4706 on: January 24, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
Figured they'd call it "The First Order Strikes Back"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4707 on: January 25, 2017, 02:30:18 AM »

:lol No it really doesn't.  But it's the internet and Star Wars, so....here comes 11 months of far stretching pontification.

"  THE REAL LAST JEDI IN THE NEW STAR WARS THEY WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT "

" THE LAST JEDI ISN'T LUKE OR REY - CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHO it might be "

" FAN SPECULATIONS ABOUT THE NEW STAR WARS ? WHO IS THE LAST JEDI ? ITS NOT LUKE ! "

" OMG LUKE AND LEIA WERE NOT RELATED AFTER ALL ! SHOCK NEW TWIST FIND OUT THE REAL LAST JEDI "

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4708 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4709 on: January 28, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
I don't think there's any way they kill off Luke in Ep. VIII. Even if they had planned on doing so, Carrie Fisher's death means no Leia in Ep. IX unless they cobble together some footage. There needs to be one original character left in Ep. IX.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4710 on: January 28, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I don't think there's any way they kill off Luke in Ep. VIII. Even if they had planned on doing so, Carrie Fisher's death means no Leia in Ep. IX unless they cobble together some footage. There needs to be one original character left in Ep. IX.

Well, if that was part of the story they filmed it prior to her dying....and it'd most likely be intracle to the story of VIII.....I don't see how they could reshoot and rewrite to keep him alive at this point

Then again, i don't see them killing him off. It's Luke freaking Skywalker. Mr. Star Wars. He has to remain around IMO.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4711 on: January 28, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »

Well, if that was part of the story they filmed it prior to her dying....and it'd most likely be intracle to the story of VIII.....I don't see how they could reshoot and rewrite to keep him alive at this point

Then again, i don't see them killing him off. It's Luke freaking Skywalker. Mr. Star Wars. He has to remain around IMO.
If they were planning on it, they could somehow delay that moment until Ep. IX, I guess. However I agree that Luke should survive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4712 on: January 28, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »
No opinion.  Since I don't know the story, I can't say whether his living or dying would best serve the story.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4713 on: January 28, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »
I've been slowly going through the original trilogy after seeing Rogue One. Watched The Empire Strikes Back last night, and I was reminded how much I hate that they changed Boba Fett's voice.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4714 on: January 28, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
I've been slowly going through the original trilogy after seeing Rogue One. Watched The Empire Strikes Back last night, and I was reminded how much I hate that they changed Boba Fett's voice.

Maybe one day Disney will get around to releasing the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy on blu ray.  I would get those first day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4715 on: January 28, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »

Maybe one day Disney will get around to releasing the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy on blu ray.  I would get those first day.

They *MUST* know they'd fly off the shelves like nobodies' business if they ever release those. They're probably saving it for when Episode 9 is over and done with.

It's funny how the "Special Editions" actually meant " New Regular Editions"...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4716 on: January 28, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
They must be waiting till episode 9, because the demand is definitely there.  Big time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4717 on: January 28, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
You know what i thought would last til Episode 9 ?

Starkiller Base.

i was shocked when they destroyed it in Episode 7.

??? Now what are they gonna do ?

Please dont build a BIGGER one ffs :lolpalm:

Size of Jupiter. The ring around the outside is the parking bay.

" Welcome to Starkiller Base II. The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone. "

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4718 on: January 28, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4719 on: January 28, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
I was expecting starkiller base to get disabled or severely damaged and then destroyed in later films

When they blew it up, i was like "oh, well so
Much for that"

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4720 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »

Have you seen the Despecialized Versions? Amazingly awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4721 on: January 28, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »

They *MUST* know they'd fly off the shelves like nobodies' business if they ever release those. They're probably saving it for when Episode 9 is over and done with.

They're probably waiting for when the rights to ep 5 & 6 revert to them in 2020, and then they'll have to negotiate for ep 4. Apparently there are new 4K transfers of the movies (or at least ANH so far), which would most likely mean the theatrical versions got scanned, as the SE was only ever done at 2K.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4722 on: January 29, 2017, 02:58:30 AM »

Yeah, that annoys the shit out of me too.

For one, its jarring since I am used to how the voice always used to be
And two, the way that the new guy delivers the lines are flat and stilted, so it stands out in that way as well.

I would probably dislike the prequels less, if characters/actors from them were not shoe horned in to the original trilogy.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4723 on: January 29, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
I also hate what they did to Boba Fett's voice. The other bit that gets me is in ESB where Vader's very abrupt "bring my shuttle" was changed to some long sentence about telling his star destroyer to prepare for his arrival, just so they could squeeze in another shot of a spaceship.

On the release of the originals on Blu-Ray, I'd be happy with them doing subtle changes, like to remove matte lines, or tweak the lightsaber colours, say, but nothing more. I think I could stretch to including the updated Emperor hologram scene in Empire, but keeping the original dialogue.

(Speaking of the Emperor, I thought the makeup job on him for Ep III wasn't very good - not at all close to how he looked in ROTJ.)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4724 on: January 29, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
I also hate what they did to Boba Fett's voice. The other bit that gets me is in ESB where Vader's very abrupt "bring my shuttle" was changed to some long sentence about telling his star destroyer to prepare for his arrival, just so they could squeeze in another shot of a spaceship.
Oh yeah, something irked me about that line, and I wasn't quite sure why. Now I know.