Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 464031 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
The cinema sins guy's voice is super irritating :lol

Really? I think he's voice is rather pleasant, and he has great delivery for some of the lines he has. Also it may be because I've grown to know it for like 4 years now.

Calvin6s

I have no problem with some things getting filled in later, but if you have to constantly handwave various points just to get through the movie, my arms get tired.
Honestly, that is a hilarious way to sum it all up.  These are not the Star Wars points you care about <wave hand>  :tup

Each Star Wars movie starts with a crawl.  Why not give us just a bit of backstory regarding the origins of one or two of the biggies, and drop a line or two along the way for some of the others?  It would have gone a long way towards not making it seem like all it's doing is setting up the next couple of movies.
My fear is not that they are saving it for the next movies, but that it will just be handwaved away completely.  TFA cannot be judged until the trilogy is complete.

Maybe episode 9 will end with Snoke and Kylo sitting in a diner talking about every day life.  Then you hear a space door woosh open, the ignition of a lightsaber blade and the glow of blue on Snoke and Kylo's face .... black screen (but with stars) and blue letter credits.  When that happens, you can throw a chair through the screen and join a class action lawsuit  :corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have no problem with some things getting filled in later, but if you have to constantly handwave various points just to get through the movie, my arms get tired.
Honestly, that is a hilarious way to sum it all up.  These are not the Star Wars points you care about <wave hand>  :tup
This is the emoticon you're looking for.  :jedimindtrick:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Calvin6s

I've made no effort to find the hidden emoticons here (and doubt I ever will).  But the deathsticks - go home jedi mind trick emoticon is pretty funny.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
In the case of TFA, the discussion and debate has actually improved my opinion of the movie, because people had good explanations for a lot of the problems I had, and it made me realize that a lot of the issues I had are really just gaps that future films may yet fill in.

I swing back and forth on this one.  First, yeah, I came out of TFA feeling pretty mixed and downright disappointed about some things, but people have pointed out that many of the problems I had really were explained and I just didn't catch them, or I needed to think about it more and they made more sense than I thought.

But there are at least a couple of rather big things about TFA that just weren't explained at all (the First Order, the Knights of Ren, Snoke) and I feel like if you put too much off and say "It will all be explained later" then you really are detracting from the movie we're currently watching.  What if, by some ridiculous event, no more sequels get made?  We're left with a movie that's fun, but a bunch of stuff that was never explained.  I have no problem with some things getting filled in later, but if you have to constantly handwave various points just to get through the movie, my arms get tired.

Each Star Wars movie starts with a crawl.  Why not give us just a bit of backstory regarding the origins of one or two of the biggies, and drop a line or two along the way for some of the others?  It would have gone a long way towards not making it seem like all it's doing is setting up the next couple of movies.

I get what you're saying, but I think Star Wars is a case where they can very safely assume they'll have the opportunity to tell the rest of the story, and have clearly designed it in such a way to keep you wanting more, just like the classic serials that inspired it. Generally I like a movie to be 100% self contained and not require me to research or read a comic book to understand what they couldn't be bothered to put into the movie, but in the case of Star Wars, I can accept that it's part of a grander story to be revealed in pieces.
Not to mention, they had to catch you up on over 30 years of events since ROTJ while also setting up a new saga, so they were never going to be able to do it all in a single two hour movie even if they tried. They told you enough to keep the story moving, while leaving some points open for debate to keep the fans wanting more. This movie gave us very little information about Snoke other than him being some mysterious bad guy in charge, but the Emperor didn't appear at all in A New Hope. The story didn't require you to know more than that for now.

I'm not one to simply give the benefit of the doubt or excuse problems, but for the moment my opinion on TFA is "pending" until we have more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Calvin6s

Not to mention, they had to catch you up on over 30 years of events since ROTJ while also setting up a new saga
I'm thrilled they skipped ahead 30 years.  And I assume the majority of those 30 years was rebuilding and pew pew fights to try and finish off the Empire.  Didn't want to see complete movies about forming a government and Jedi Order.  To be honest, most of the Star Wars books blow.  They can fill in what happened in those 30 years as much as they want, but I'm perfectly fine with it being a bunch of repetitive and relatively static story.

This movie gave us very little information about Snoke other than him being some mysterious bad guy in charge, but the Emperor didn't appear at all in A New Hope.

I like the idea of Snoke being Yoda and Ren being Luke more than Luke being Yoda and Rey being Luke.  The most compelling part of TFA was Ren fighting the path to the light side.  He shouldn't underestimate Luke or suffer his grandfather's fate.

In a way, Kylo is as his name implies.  A combination of Luke (needs more training) and Leia (already part of the fighting when the story begins). sKYwalkersoLO.

I'm not one to simply give the benefit of the doubt or excuse problems, but for the moment my opinion on TFA is "pending" until we have more.

It is a bit strange as that is my opinion as well.  But I don't know how much was actually mapped out as opposed to the hand off being "we set up this, take it from here" which could get messy and go horribly wrong.  Part of what I loved about something like A New Hope is I recall being very satisfied other than "I want more."  But there was enough background info on each character that it would have stood on its own had it been the only Star Wars ever made.  Yet at the same time, when you see the other movies (including the prequels) you can rewatch the movie and scenes take on a different meaning a new layer of depth is added.

I have had a hard time reading the new books.  Started with Aftermath and blew through the first half.  Like somebody trapped on an island finding a morsel.  Don't care what it taste like.  Food.  Then I just had the hardest time finishing it.  I tried the audio book version, but that was even worse as I'd quickly find that I wasn't really paying attention.  Some of that comes from giving up on the old books as well.  The ones I truly enjoyed were the Han Solo Trilogy, the Dark Lord Trilogy, Bane Trilogy and Darth Plageius.  To a lesser degree the Thrawn Trilogy +2, but it was already super hyped before I read it, so the expectations weren't met.  Oh.  The Republic Commando series was decent.  I think I started losing interest on book 3 though.

That leaves a ton of Star Wars books that were read with the "maybe it gets better next chapter" feeling.  At some point, you just give up.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Maybe I'm the only one but I didn't even know Snoke's name until I started reading comments here and go "oh, he was the hologram guy".

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Maybe I'm the only one but I didn't even know Snoke's name until I started reading comments here and go "oh, he was the hologram guy".

They said his name several times in the movie as far as I remember.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Yeah, that was quite clear.

Calvin6s

Maybe you were too busy admiring your first really good look at Kylo Ren in character.  My mind sometimes does that.  Ponder on something (as if you are reading a book), but the big movie screen doesn't pause.  Now you missed something simple like a name call out.

It was mentioned several times, but if you missed it during something like "Supreme Leader Snoke demands your presence" or whatever they said, then caught it when Leia was talking about Snoke, your mind might not make the connection.

Don't worry.  You aren't going senile.  These things happen to the best of us.  :D  And our minds work differently  (but maybe schedule a doctor's visit just in case  :P )

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
To be fair if you compare it to the original name, we didn't really learn much about the Emperor either, until the latter half of the trilogy. This time we got the name in the first one, which is more than just "The Supreme Leader".

Offline RuRoRul

The real reason is because they needed the Army of the Dead to get past a particular problem, but keeping them around to finish off Sauron would've made it way too easy (as you said), so they had to be released in order to keep up the dramatic tension.  It wasn't really explained in the movie, and if there was an explanation in the book, it didn't stick with me.  I think you're basically supposed to not think about that.  There are a number of major and minor conflicts along the way to The Big One at the End, and if you think about it, The Big One at the End isn't really the big one anyway.  Once the ring is destroyed, everything pretty much falls apart and The Good Guys don't really have to do anything but stand there and watch it all crumble.

But back to your point.  Yeah, folks on the Internet love to pick apart every little detail.  It's amazing how many people say things like "Overall, I loved it and found it very entertaining, but here is my list of 117 things that I found wrong with it".
In the LOTR book, the Army Of The Dead doesn't show up at Pelennor Fields, they only defeated the Corsairs (the guys in the ships) off page and allowed Aragorn too take those ships with a bunch of men from the rest of Gondor to Pelennor fields. So in the books the dead weren't really shown to be as ridiculously overpowered so it wouldn't have been as much of an issue why they didn't keep them. In the film though if they were going to show the recruiting of the Army of the Dead, it makes more sense to show them turn the tide at the big battle rather than just to take some ships (which wasn't even shown in the theatrical version) and spend time explaining that Aragorn found some more men to come and join the battle. But yeah, that does mean that we have to watch Aragorn get rid of them right after it's shown they can basically defeat Sauron's entire army. At least it was lampshaded by Gimli a bit.

I would take a slightly different stance about the "nitpicking" thing, rather than it just being a case of there being less of it "then" vs. "now" being why, for example, LOTR avoided it. It may have got even more common now with social media and more people using the internet, but the same thing happened as long as the internet has been around (and before, surely, but I think the internet really made the difference as before then there wasn't really a good way or purpose for people who dislike stuff to communicate about it). How many times have we heard about the eagles from LOTR for example? But despite things like that being widely pointed out as a "plot hole", that hasn't ruined people's appreciation for Lord Of The Rings.

The thing is, there will always be things to criticise and pick apart about any movie, but imo people are idiots if they thing those are the things that make a movie good. And that's where I think a lot of people go wrong criticising the prequels - they nitpick "plotholes" or individual silly events or designs that are supposed to be just self-evidently stupid... but the fact is similar criticisms can be made about things in the Original Trilogy or The Force Awakens. (For me, the fact that the Millennium Falcon is just sitting there unguarded in essentially working order, when it is driven home to the audience that people on the planet are poor, live in crappy conditions, and even make a living scavenging for parts, was a particularly ridiculous moment). But the fact is, where those films succeeded and the prequels didn't was on a more fundamental, "Filmmaking 101" level, not in having a story that makes perfect sense and no small elements to criticise. They were more competent films that engaged with the audience and provided an enjoyable experience, and that's why more people like them than the prequels - and it's why when people point out the problems with, say, The Force Awakens, more people try to explain it away or just say "I don't care", while when people do the same thing with the prequels more people say "Haha yes, that's so stupid".

That's why (and I know I have mentioned this several times) I like the Plinkett reviews of the prequels so much. Yes, they do just openly mock some of the designs or nitpick individual scenes that would be given a pass by most if they were in another film (though at least they do it in a unique and humorous way), but they also point out the deeper problems with the movies that made people not connect with them. It's the "Who is the protagonist of The Phantom Menace?" or "Can you describe any character without saying their job or what they wear?", rather than the "That plan doesn't make too much sense when you think about it" or "That was a stupid line about sand". Lots of people might not have even noticed that was what was wrong with it (... but their brain did) and so that's why they gravitate towards "plotholes" and "nitpicks" to explain it, even while giving similar things a pass in the OT or TFA.

For me, I found The Force Awakens enjoyable, and I look forward to watching it again when it's released on Blu-ray... I think it has problems but they were papered over easily because I was enjoying the ride. I also find it hard to take the story too seriously for some reason; it felt like a lot of what happened was very much just "this would be cool if it happened now" rather than coming naturally from the plot. I know all films and stories are like that to some extent, and I may have been affected by my outside knowledge, but for The Force Awakens it felt very transparent at times. That's why I'm not really interested in dissecting the storyline too much or trying to predict for the future.

I also think that the new trilogy(?), and perhaps even the retroactive reception of The Force Awakens, will depend more on the next film. I think people were very happy to just see a competently made enjoyable Star Wars film that felt more like the old ones after a lot of people were soured by the prequels... but once we get saturated with Star Wars stuff again I don't think people will be as forgiving.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Honestly, I don't think that all of the questions from The Force Awakens will be answered, at least in the films (How did the First Order come to be? How did Maz get Luke's light saber?). This sequel trilogy seems to care way more about the experience of what's going on than the background of it all.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Honestly, I don't think that all of the questions from The Force Awakens will be answered, at least in the films (How did the First Order come to be? How did Maz get Luke's light saber?). This sequel trilogy seems to care way more about the experience of what's going on than the background of it all.

Like Maz says " that's a story for another time ". Like just brushing it off. Maybe for an Anthology movie.

And I heard that they'll explain C3P0's red arm in future too....sigh.... Can't people just accept that it implies that in the 30 years since we last saw these characters - they've been off having adventures?

May as well have a whole comic all about " WHY DO LUKE LEIA AND SOLO ALL LOOK REALLY OLD NOW ?!!!!? "

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I don't think all answers needs to be answered though. Maz is a collector of items and she happened upon the lightsaber somehow during all of her business deals. I don't think we need more than that. It's similar to how in Episode 4 we hear about Darth Vader and that he was "seduced by the dark side". That was really all we needed, and 3 movies of backstory was a story that didn't need to be told. So I'm perfectly fine with certain things not being answered, as long as the important ones are. Let's say for example that we find out that Rey is Luke's daughter, but we hear nothing at all about her mother in this trilogy. Now that would be a question demanding an answer.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
I don't think all answers needs to be answered though. Maz is a collector of items and she happened upon the lightsaber somehow during all of her business deals. I don't think we need more than that. It's similar to how in Episode 4 we hear about Darth Vader and that he was "seduced by the dark side". That was really all we needed, and 3 movies of backstory was a story that didn't need to be told. So I'm perfectly fine with certain things not being answered, as long as the important ones are. Let's say for example that we find out that Rey is Luke's daughter, but we hear nothing at all about her mother in this trilogy. Now that would be a question demanding an answer.

Agreed 100%. To be honest, I think it's kind of fun leaving some questions unanswered. The only mystery I really care about at this point is whether or not Rey comes from the Skywalker bloodline.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Some things WON'T be answered in the films; some things will be reserved for any new novels/comics/whatever that are published.  That's already been established by the current regime at Disney - from here on out, it's all canon.

But I would imagine that any MAJOR details will, in fact, be answered onscreen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RuRoRul

I don't really think anything will be "answered" from The Force Awakens in sequels. To be honest the only thing I thought had a slight chance of being included in one of those spin-off films was Luke's light saber, since it made a point of it. For the rest, they can publish whatever they want in comics and books, but if it's not in the films then it doesn't and shouldn't matter for the enjoyment of the films, it will just be extra for fans that enjoy it (what I mean is that "it explains it in the spin-off comics" is not a satisfactory excuse for something in future films being poor or not seeming to make any sense).

Not sure if my post was one of the ones you were replying to, but when I said in my post that the retroactive reception to The Force Awakens will depend on future films, I wasn't really thinking about them explaining anything in future films (on the contrary, I think they will forge ahead onto new ideas and any loose ends that are left will just be swept under the rug left to the expanded universe). Just that if Episode VIII doesn't deliver, then people might not look back on The Force Awakens as fondly either ("they fooled us bringing the original cast and practical effects back, but then they just ruined it in the next film"); think of the episode or season of a TV show that people loved at the time, but after later episodes aren't well received people end up rating the whole show or season poorly.

Offline The Trooper

Just watched the bonus TFA blu ray. Good stuff.

Calvin6s

Doesn't it come out April 5th?

Calvin6s

It's the "Who is the protagonist of The Phantom Menace?"
Who is the protagonist of Pulp Fiction? 

This is why I don't have a raging boner for Plinkett. 

Anakin can't be the protagonist because he wasn't introduced immediately.  Well, just like the OT and TFA, neither were Luke and Rey.  Even more important, the antagonists were introduced within the first few minutes.  Kylo Ren, Darth Vader and Palpatine.

Another example is complaining about Obi-Wan staying behind in Tatootine. Therefore, he can no longer be considered the protagonist.  Perhaps:

(For me, the fact that the Millennium Falcon is just sitting there unguarded in essentially working order, when it is driven home to the audience that people on the planet are poor, live in crappy conditions, and even make a living scavenging for parts, was a particularly ridiculous moment).
Unguarded.  Nope.
Poor planet. Yup.
Crappy. Heck Jakku is essentially Tatootine.
Scavengers.  Yup.  (Jawas?)

Further, not only was Luke not the first person introduced immediately, the better comparison (the ensemble) was.  Leia, then Luke, then Ben (dies) then Han.  Poe, then Finn, then Rey, then Han(dies).  (or was it Han, then Leia, then Luke this time).  Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon (dies), then Padme, then Anakin.

The similarities are all there.

"Can you describe any character without saying their job or what they wear?"
With relative ease?

If one can't, then they were either not trying, never cared about the movie to begin with or went in looking to hate it.

Anakin:  Gifted,  Righteous.  Loyal to a fault.  Conflicted but manages to stay on the wrong side of things.
Obi-Wan: Annoyed.  Stinging Wit.  Doesn't wear emotions on his sleeve, but has moments showing he truly cares.  (Just like OT)
Qui-Gon:  Wise.  Gifted.  Conflicted but manages to stay on the right side of things.
Palpatine: Conniving, Smart, Strategic.  Psychopath.

Relatively easy.

Calvin6s

Forgot to add on protagonist v. ensemble.

Luke was hardly always in the scenes.  The one considered the best, Empire, he's not being chased through an asteroid field and not on Bespin for quite some time.  He's also *missing* for a bit in the beginning.  So screen time does not equal filmmaking 101, and that was definitely a Plinkett critique.

Calvin6s

Holy crap that is cute.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Hey so I finally saw this film. Despite having no interest in it initially, the positive reports made me interested, and wow it was really great. Great characters and dialogue, great action sequences, and overall it just felt like Star Wars. I was very pleased, and am looking forward to the next installment.

Ninja out.

Calvin6s

Star Wars: A New Awakening
How much of this did you catch on first viewing?  Some of it was obvious.  Some took a bit more paying attention.

I know one thing I never caught on the prequels until a year or two ago:

Calvin6s

Anybody catch the Star Wars Rebels season 2 finale?  I was really starting to lose interest, but the double episode (1 hour) finale was pretty good.  There's a lot of speculation that Ezra becomes Snoke.  Seems like a stretch to me because the novelization said Snoke was around before Ezra was born, but Ezra does seem to be headed down the path to the dark side.

Offline kaos2900

The Rebels finale was amazing! I think Ashoka is still alive and Ezra is heading towards the dark side. There is no way he's snoke.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I just watched star wars rebels last night for the first time and I LOVE it. I can't wait to continue on through the episodes.

Calvin6s

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:44:13 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Polarbear

Rebels finale was indeed really good!

Loved the introduction of Maul and of course, the confrontation of Ahsoka and Vader.

But i think blinding Kanan, is the ballsiest move Dave Filoni has ever done!

Calvin6s

First, a lot of people seem to be talking about it.  As I said, really enjoyed the Rebels finale.  But it turns out this is hardly a unique view:  the saber helicopters.  Yeah.  It was kinda dumb.  Might be the stain on an otherwise great episode(s).

Second, Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Kylo's Parents
Please let it be more than mommy and daddy didn't take him to the zoo and play catch so Snoke pulled up in his blacked out van and offered him a sub sandwich.

I've had many thoughts on what could make Kylo Ren what he is.  One being that he was mediocre under Luke because he is great with the Dark Side, but so / so with the Light.  Luke wouldn't let him entertain the Dark Side.  Snoke proved to him how powerful he could be with the Dark Side.  So his own ego had to choose between staying in the Light and being mediocre (worse because his Skywalker lineage means mediocre is a let down) or live up to expectations of power with the Dark Side.  And he doesn't even really like the Dark Side.  But his inferiority complex won't let him be anything other than the new legend.  So he is torn.  Would also explain why he didn't get the rush when he killed Han.  He fed off the tension and conflict, but deep down he didn't truly want to kill Han.  So he didn't feel vindication and freedom to be his own man, but instead felt confused and lost.

Something like that sounds better than Dad showed up late to pick him up after soccer practice.  I prefer tortured, not entitled.

Calvin6s

Saw this over at a Star Wars forum when I guess a few members starting arguing personally instead of topically and it ended with this

I found it hilarious so I thought I'd share here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The voice actor for Admiral Ackbar has died at the age of 93. RIP.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Calvin6s

The voice actor for Admiral Ackbar has died at the age of 93. RIP.
Admiral "Bib Fortuna" Ackbar

Offline jammindude

Saw this over at a Star Wars forum when I guess a few members starting arguing personally instead of topically and it ended with this

I found it hilarious so I thought I'd share here.

LOOSEN UP!   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude