Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 463757 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
You know how the middle in a Trilogy is "usually" the weakest ?

Well if you consider SW as a trilogy of trilogies... :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
:tiojorge: :tiojorge: :tiojorge:
:tiojorge: :dangerwillrobinson:  :tiojorge: 
:tiojorge: :tiojorge: :tiojorge:

Trapped Inside This Jorge-o-varium !!!

:lol Truly, a nightmare to behold.

Pretty standard 3 act story arc.

And so much this-ness. On one hand, yes...there absolutely are a good couple handful of similarities to the OT. On the other...you're trying to hard, people. Lord. If you go that route, you might as well consider the fact that nothing is original anymore and *nearly* every idea has in some shape, form, or momentary tinge of neurons firing has been thought of before and therefore the OT is not original and it all sucks and it's all a cop-out. No fun. They're sucking the fun out of it all. There's a line, sure. I don't think TFA has crossed it. If it was coat-tailing off of the OT, it'd be apparent even to the people who aren't obsessed with making that connection.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I've never understood the Ewok hate, actually.  They're funny and silly, but in true sci-fi fashion, they have their own society and culture, and they organize to help fight the bad guys.  They brought some levity to things.

I'm not sure that it is "hate"--at least, not from me.  But the fact that the Battle of Endor did take on a silly, lighthearted tone that made it less serious, and the fact that the Ewoks were a big part of the reason why (but not the only reason--Chewbacca Tarzan yell, I'm looking at you!), takes it down a notch for me.  Not enough to ruin the film by any stretch, but definitely enough to put it below Empire instead of at the same level.  If you wanna call that "hate," I think you are overstating the point.

EDIT:  Same thing with what was added to Jabba's palace.  It went from "Jabba is gangsta and is running things, and like any boss, he can have in-house entertainment nonstop" to "let's do a big musical number, Star Wars style!," which I don't think ANYBODY outside of Lucas has ever felt worked well.

Okay fine, it's not true hatred.  But time and time again, the Ewoks are pointed out as what brings the movie down.  Some people actually do say that the movie is ruined because of them and that whole subplot, and some are more accomodating.  Some think they're kinda cool and/or cute but stall the story and thus the movie as a whole.  Some think the whole thing is stupid.

Rather than say all that, I used the term "Ewok hate".  For once, I tried to be succinct, and look what happened.

Orbert, You'd think they could still make a 5.1 like they do with older albums.  Look at what Steven Wilson did with Yes Fragile.  I hope they could release that at some point.

Steven is able to craft 5.1 versions of albums because the original multitrack masters still exist, and he can pan any channel to any location.  That's why I was saying I don't know how it works with movies.  If they went into the vaults, would the original multitrack masters of the soundtracks still exist?  I suspect not, because I don't think I've ever seen a film originally released with a 2.0 soundtrack released in 5.1.  I've seen (and heard) 5.1 synthesized out of 2.0 via software, but it's usually pretty bad.  I always figured that once the soundtrack is finished and married to the film, there's no real reason to keep the masters around.

It may be possible but prohibitively complex and/or expensive, but as far as I know, it's never been done.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
One could only hope.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Perhaps it will be...a new hope.

...Oh jesus fucking christ, I'm turning into Dave. SOMEONE SAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  :heart :P

RIP DTP.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I've never understood the Ewok hate, actually.  They're funny and silly, but in true sci-fi fashion, they have their own society and culture, and they organize to help fight the bad guys.  They brought some levity to things.

I'm with you. I get the whole "small cute things taking down AT-ST's" thing, but to me that's a pretty small thing. :dunno:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I don't mind the Ewoks.  I actually think they are kind of cool.  But when things starts to border on silly, that's when it goes just slightly too far.  While I believe an integral part of "Star Wars" is the levity that raises its head every once in a while, that felt slightly heavy handed to me.

Of course there's heavy handed and then there's atomic bomb level oh-my-god-what-is-this-jar-jar-kill-it-with-fire that showed up in the next movie.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
what 's the story behind the creating a light saber? I've read that the more refined the technique of constructing the saber the 'better' or more stable it is? Would that explain why Kylo Ren's saber appears to be so 'rough around the edges', especially when it's compared side by side to Anakin/Like's old saber in the battle at the end. Anakin/Lukes saber is very clean edge and quiet whereas Ren's is very rough and noisy.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jar Jar makes the Ewok's look like...fuckin...SHAFT !!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
what 's the story behind the creating a light saber? I've read that the more refined the technique of constructing the saber the 'better' or more stable it is? Would that explain why Kylo Ren's saber appears to be so 'rough around the edges', especially when it's compared side by side to Anakin/Like's old saber in the battle at the end. Anakin/Lukes saber is very clean edge and quiet whereas Ren's is very rough and noisy.

I have read that Kylo's saber is rough because he made it himself, so I believe you would be correct.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also Kylo's saber is rough and unfinished as he is also rough and unfinished.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Like sand, etc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
They should have left in the shot from the trailer where he turns on the saber with the side bits. That was one of the most talked about shots, and then they cut it!

Like sand, etc.

Don't even. :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I think they'll add a flashback scene in Ep.8 where we get to see Kylo Ren construct his lightsaber with the dialogue mirroring Anakin's from AotC: "I hate light, it's coarse, rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere"

It's like poetry

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Except he won't sound like he's whining about how his first period hurts.

SUCH a great line utterly marred by the exposition.

*Sigh* Spoken like a true pantywaist, Hayden. *Slowest clap ever*

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Just when I think humanity cannot let me down or surprise me any more than it already has...

Petition to bring George Lucas back.

U-UMMMMMMMMMM

UUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
My first thought at the idea of George Lucas making another star wars

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:39:01 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
That was my first reaction as well.  But the petition appears to be to just have him come back as director.  Not writer, producer, or anything else.  Of course he would have a huge effect on the movie as director, so that would probably be "bad enough", but there's something of a symmetry in having him come back and direct the last one.  He directed the first one, but didn't write the screenplay for that one, either.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lucas proved on the PT that he's not a very good director any more. With all due respect to him for creating Star Wars, it's best if he's nowhere near the new movies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Yeah, I guess I agree.  But my hope is that he's learned something from the PT.  He has to know that the majority of the public now considers them inferior to the OT, and place the blame squarely on him.  I think that's why he agreed to let it go, let someone else take the reins.  Maybe he'd actually listen to some of the people who tell him "George, no, we really don't want..." and "What if we...?"  The thing I hear most is that he apparently had full control and no checks and balances.

Oh well, it's a nice thought.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think even since the PT, he's proven that he cares more about his own vision than about satisfying the fans. He either has no awareness at all, or doesn't give a shit.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I think even since the PT, he's proven that he cares more about his own vision than about satisfying the fans. He either has no awareness at all, or doesn't give a shit.
This, it's evident in practically every comment or interview he has given in the last 20 years, including things he has said about the new film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Trooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOSCASqLsE

Kylo Ren in Undercover Boss from Saturday Night Live

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
 :lol

Offline T-ski

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
While the extra wait isn't fun, I'm glad they've pushed it back. There wasn't all that much time between TFA and Ep VIII's originally scheduled release date, and I read a few days ago about the writing changes, so this will help ensure they nail it.
There's been a lot of important feedback from TFA and this will give them time to take that more into consideration, and expectations will be higher for a strong original movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
TFA passes 100m in China. It'll be intradasted to see what the global total will be on Monday.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
While the extra wait isn't fun, I'm glad they've pushed it back. There wasn't all that much time between TFA and Ep VIII's originally scheduled release date, and I read a few days ago about the writing changes, so this will help ensure they nail it.
There's been a lot of important feedback from TFA and this will give them time to take that more into consideration, and expectations will be higher for a strong original movie.

I'm glad that they've pushed it back as well. Take your time and get it right. Hell, I'd be fine if the films were released 3 years apart like in years past.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I'm fine with the wait as well. The worst part of waiting is the last few weeks anyways, but that is the whether it's been one year or three.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Plus we have Star Trek Beyond to fill the gap :neverusethis:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Pretty much this. The way time is passing by in my life right now this will be out essentially tomorrow.......

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always been a fan of the original trilogy, but after watching the Force Awakens, my interest has been rejuvenated big time in the entire franchise. I re- bought all the movies and have basically been obsessed. Awesome stuff!!

Return of the Jedi was the first movie I saw in a Theater