Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 456178 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #3325 on: December 07, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
He caught lightning in a bottle with Episode IV.  Others made V and VI what they were, in spite of Lucas... not because of him.  Then, he completely controlled (and had the money to) the PT movies, and just did what he wanted.

@ Bosk... that's already a better screenplay for the PT than what Lucas delivered.

George Lucas is a good idea man. He just needs a filter to put those ideas through, because if he's the only one in charge you get Jar Jar.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3326 on: December 07, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »
" Jar Jar is the key to all this. If we can make Jar Jar work. He's a funnier character than we've had before "

- George Lucas.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3327 on: December 07, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
He caught lightning in a bottle with Episode IV.  Others made V and VI what they were, in spite of Lucas... not because of him.  Then, he completely controlled (and had the money to) the PT movies, and just did what he wanted.

@ Bosk... that's already a better screenplay for the PT than what Lucas delivered.

George Lucas is a good idea man. He just needs a filter to put those ideas through, because if he's the only one in charge you get Jar Jar.

I'd sign off on that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: December 07, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
Oh, and.....count me in as one of the people who have now fell for and am buying the idea of Kylo Ren being Luke Skywalker. Reading these 'fan theories' about it....it all 'makes sense' and the more I think about it the more I believe it and think that it'd be cool.....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3329 on: December 07, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »
Luke is not Kylo Ren. Look and the numerous trailers where Kylo is approaching Finn. His helmet is off and you can see his long black hair blowing in the wind. Adam Driver is not Luke.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: December 07, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
Luke is not Kylo Ren. Look and the numerous trailers where Kylo is approaching Finn. His helmet is off and you can see his long black hair blowing in the wind. Adam Driver is not Luke.

This. There's a publicity shot of Kylo Ren with no helmet on and it's not Mark Hamill.

In the Red Letter Media predictions video - they basically show an Island off Ireland which exactly matches some leaked shots of Mark Hamill on Obi Wan Robes. They guessed he is in hiding.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3331 on: December 07, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
Also wanted to agree about Lucas having good ideas but needed a filter for the prequels. It also sounds like he has viewed Episode VII and "Really liked it".

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3332 on: December 07, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »

This. There's a publicity shot of Kylo Ren with no helmet on and it's not Mark Hamill.

In the Red Letter Media predictions video - they basically show an Island off Ireland which exactly matches some leaked shots of Mark Hamill on Obi Wan Robes. They guessed he is in hiding.

These are all distractions from the dark side.....

:biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: December 07, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »
AKA the SW fanbois.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3334 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
I wouldn't call myself a hardcore Star Wars fan by any stretch (I love the original trilogy, hate the prequels, have watched some Rebels, played some SWTOR, but apart from that I haven't read the comics, books, played any of the other games) but it's interesting to see all these weird theories like Luke being Kylo Ren when it was confirmed maybe a year ago that Kylo Ren would be played by Adam Driver, who is most likely the son of Leia/Han.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3335 on: December 07, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »
Oh, and.....count me in as one of the people who have now fell for and am buying the idea of Kylo Ren being Luke Skywalker. Reading these 'fan theories' about it....it all 'makes sense' and the more I think about it the more I believe it and think that it'd be cool.....

:facepalm: No.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3336 on: December 08, 2015, 01:58:03 AM »
Also wanted to agree about Lucas having good ideas but needed a filter for the prequels. It also sounds like he has viewed Episode VII and "Really liked it".
Yea I saw an article a couple of days ago that Lucas had seen it and he really liked it.

Here it is: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-attend-star-wars-845948
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3337 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:27 AM »

This is Kylo Ren. He is NOT Luke Skywalker.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3338 on: December 08, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
And if they were casting someone else as Kylo Ren to throw people off the scent, I think they'd cast someone a little closer in stature. 6"3' vs 5'9", not to mention the rest of the proportions. That would be a huge discrepancy after the reveal, even for a movie.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3339 on: December 08, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »
Watched Revenge on the weekend.  By far the best in the PT.  It still feels rushed.  They really needed more time to convince the audience of Anakin's turn.  He went from wanting to kill Palpatine and tattling on him, to joining him and committing genocide in one afternoon.  And the fact that the love story sucked made it hard to believe that was the reason he turned.

Exactly.  Lucas had the bones of a really good story, but it just wasn't executed in a way that was even halfway convincing.  I think that, for his turn to be truly convincing, you needed a series of bigger tragedies that the Jedi must have been perceived by Anakin to have had a hand in.  For him to go so far as to want to utterly exterminate the Jedi, and even the children themselves, he had to have become convinced that they were truly evil and a threat to order in the universe.  Here is an example of how it the turning could have worked within the storyline Lucas created and could have been a lot more convincing:
-Ep. 1:  Anakin is actually more shocked and emotionally distraught when he learns that the Qui Gon and the Jedi are not there to free the slaves, including Anakin's mother, and he agrees to go with Qui Gon and Obi Wan only after an emotional confrontation with them where they convince him that he can do good as a jedi, but that it is not the jedis' purpose to upset the political order on Tatooine or anywhere else, despite that some practices go on that they may personally be against.  Anakin secretly vows to himself that he will someday free the slaves and come back for his mom once he is older and has more influence.
-Ep. 2:  Palpatine manipulates things such that the separatists bring the galaxy to the brink of war (which is basically what was going on anyway).  Anakin is against war and believes that the jedi and senate should be doing everything they can to prevent prolonged all-out war, even if, ironically, that means swift and decisive military action to squash the threats to peace.  The major conflict that begins the clone wars either occurs on Tatooine, killing many of the people Anakin grew up with, or on Naboo, killing people Padme is close to.  Anakin feels resentful toward the jedi and senate for (1) not preventing war, and (2) allowing people he cares about to be caught in the crossfire.  He also hates the separatists.  AND he is fearful that he will not be able to protect the ones he loves if he does not rise up and choose a different path for himself.  He reluctantly remains faithful to the jedi way, but these seeds of doubt and dark-side emotions are planted, and Palpatine manipulates them and feeds them behind the scenes.  Anakin vows that he WILL find a way to restore order, which includes freeing the slaves and rescuing his mom (who is still alive on Tatooine).
Ep. 3:  As war rages on, Anakin distinguishes himself as a great jedi warrior and ally of the republic, which is basically where he was at the beginning of the real ep. 3.  But he is conflicted, and is still being driven by the events in Ep. 2 and the horrors and suffering of war in general.  The turning happens a bit earlier in the movie.  The big event is some sort of conflict where Obi Wan is involved in a battle where Anakin's mother dies JUST as Anakin was finally in a position to go back and bring her away from Tatooine.  Anakin's grief and despair take over and he goes berserk and turns into an absolute rage monster, not only blaming Obi Wan and the jedi for not doing enough to establish peace and order, but perhaps actually fomenting war for some sort of political gain.  Padme advocates for the republic and the jedi, and Anakin becomes convinced that she is a traitor, and almost kills her.  She escapes, but he is convinced that she is dead.  Having lost everything, Anakin goes and confronts Obi Wan, and everything becomes twisted during the conversation (due to Palpatine manipulating things to create a misimpression in Anakin's mind), and Anakin is convinced that Obi Wan and the jedi are truly evil.  Gets burned in lava and becomes the Vader we all know, but not because of the stupid high ground issue.  All of these events, combined with the physical and emotional trauma he has just suffered, push the now deformed Anakin totally over the edge, and he now (in his mind, justifiably) believes the jedi and republic are enemies of peace and order, and vows to exterminate them.  Order 66 is initiated and Vader goes and purges the jedi temple as the black armor-clad vader.  Montage of events occurring over the next few months, which includes jedi being hunted down and killed; only Yoda and Obi Wan survive, and both go into hiding;  Padme survives a few months and delivers the children, and dies in childbirth because the damage inflicted by Vader months earlier injured her more than people realized, and childbirth physically does her in, but Vader knows nothing about this; Gratuitous death star construction scene; roll credits.

Yeah, that is a much darker story.  But the problem is, the creation/origin story of a villain as simultaneously complex, powerful, and evil as Vader really is supposed to be HAS TO be dark.  And this series of events (or one like it) at least gives a better motivation for the transformation.

Very nice, 1. 9/10 would watch.

One of the things that seem awkward in Anakin's transformation in Ep. III is his clear lack of motivation. True, Padme dying was a big deal, but that doesn't seem enough to take him to a 'I pledge myself...... to your teachings......' after chopping off Mace's arm just because 'I NEED HIM!'. Yesterday, he was asking Obi-Wan's forgiveness, revealing Sidious' identity to the Jedi Council and just being a good Jedi teenager with some issues as every teenager does. The next day he had yellow eyes and killed some Jedi younglings. I would have hoped a slower but steadier transformation to the dark side as bosk's outline suggests; more real, more human.

I think the biggest problem of the prequels is the amount of information displayed on screen. Lucas had a whole bunch of stories he wanted to tell, but failed to do so with many of them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: December 08, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »

This is Kylo Ren. He is NOT Luke Skywalker.

could be a trick promotional shot?

:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3341 on: December 08, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
Why are those snowtroopers marching with Edward Scissorhands?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline retaehTmaerD

« Reply #3342 on: December 10, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3343 on: December 10, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSFp-gw6lY
Is this the new one?  I was told to avoid it because it is spoilery.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3344 on: December 10, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSFp-gw6lY
Is this the new one?  I was told to avoid it because it is spoilery.

I watched... it's the International trailer (with some kind of orient subtitles).  Mostly stuff that's already been shown in the other trailers and TV spots... maybe about 20% new stuff.  Can't say it was terribly 'spoilery'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3345 on: December 10, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
But it DOES show NOMACs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3346 on: December 10, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
But it DOES show NOMACs.

And (Dark) Lord Nafarius
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3347 on: December 10, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
Hard to believe we only have to wait one more week! I'll be staying off the net starting Wednesday until Thursday night when I get to the see the movie.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #3348 on: December 10, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
I better stay off this particular thread for two weeks till I've seen Vii.   :\
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3349 on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:57 AM »
How hilarious would it be if Kylo Ren was Khan :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3350 on: December 11, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »
TOO SOON!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: December 11, 2015, 02:36:06 AM »
" I am Khan. There is nowhere I cannot go. I used my genetically engineered intellect to create a dimensional gateway between realities. "

Simon Pegg as Watto : " we'sa fucked pretty bad "

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #3352 on: December 12, 2015, 01:51:43 AM »

This kind of raises a good question. Is there going to be a separate thread to discuss the new movie when it comes out? Or, is it open season in this thread? I'm excited to see the new movie, but I don't anticipate being able to see it for the first couple of weeks due to my work schedule. I'm wondering if I should avoid this part of the forum starting next week.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3353 on: December 12, 2015, 02:09:15 AM »

This kind of raises a good question. Is there going to be a separate thread to discuss the new movie when it comes out? Or, is it open season in this thread? I'm excited to see the new movie, but I don't anticipate being able to see it for the first couple of weeks due to my work schedule. I'm wondering if I should avoid this part of the forum starting next week.

I think it would be best if we had a thread specifically for The Force Awakens so that the people who see it don't need to worry about posting spoilers, and the people who haven't seen it yet don't have to worry about seeing spoilers.
So perhaps the first person to see it who wants to post about it should create a new thread.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: December 12, 2015, 03:46:05 AM »
Star Wars The Force Awakens v. Kylo Ren Solo

:neverusethis:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3355 on: December 12, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »

I think it would be best if we had a thread specifically for The Force Awakens so that the people who see it don't need to worry about posting spoilers, and the people who haven't seen it yet don't have to worry about seeing spoilers.
So perhaps the first person to see it who wants to post about it should create a new thread.

Agreed 100%

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3356 on: December 13, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3357 on: December 13, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »
My name is...KYLO.......

..RenBinks.. . . .

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3358 on: December 14, 2015, 11:21:21 AM »
I saw Star Wars oranges and Star Wars coffee creamer in the grocery store over the weekend. Nothing special about the product. The labels were just Star Wars theme. I swear, every single store in this country has at least one item with Star Wars on it. Shit, Kohls has a few thousand.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3359 on: December 14, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
Sadly, that's what Star Wars has always been about.  :-\