Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461276 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2940 on: September 18, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »
The Phantom Menace was one of the biggest movies ever, and that movie was awful. The trailer alone for The Force Awakens is already a better movie than TPM, and it already has a ton of positive PR going in.

Just like the 2009 Star trek Movie. :neverusethis:

Some purist didn't like it though.  Mmmmnnnn..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2941 on: September 18, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
There was no comparison there. Quit yer trolling.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2942 on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »

What you described about Star Wars is the same that happened with Star Trek.  Big buzz for the trailers, great reviews form critics. Only the purists did not like it.

So it is very similar so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2943 on: September 18, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »
One might also think about the fact though that when Avatar went up on screen the whole digital 3D spectacle was a huge magnet for people to lift their asses and go to the movie theatre.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: September 18, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »

What you described about Star Wars is the same that happened with Star Trek.  Big buzz for the trailers, great reviews form critics. Only the purists did not like it.

Star Trek 2009 didn't have anywhere near this much buzz or positivity, especially from the existing fans (Trek fans were just desperate for Trek), unlike TFA which at this point is almost universally anticipated by fans. It also didn't do that well. Aside from having spaceships and you trying to get under my skin, there's no similarity. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2945 on: September 18, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
 :lol

Well, i think after the last 3 Star Wars movies, fans are dying for Star Wars as well. :biggrin:

One might also think about the fact though that when Avatar went up on screen the whole digital 3D spectacle was a huge magnet for people to lift their asses and go to the movie theatre.

Very true.  That was a huge pull.  I remember many of my friends loosing it over the I-MAX 3D.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2946 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:18 AM »

Star Trek 2009 didn't have anywhere near this much buzz or positivity, especially from the existing fans (Trek fans were just desperate for Trek), unlike TFA which at this point is almost universally anticipated by fans. It also didn't do that well. Aside from having spaceships and you trying to get under my skin, there's no similarity. :biggrin:
I agree with Blob 100%.  I love Star Trek, but there is absolutely no comparison here as far as level of excitement and anticipation.  The fan base for Star Trek is much smaller than that of Star Wars.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2947 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
:lol

Well, i think after the last 3 Star Wars movies, fans are dying for Star Wars as well. :biggrin:

There's been plenty in the meantime for Star Wars fans, including a couple of cartoon series, video games, great merchandise etc. And they're getting a real Star Wars movie at the end of the year. Star Wars is one of the most well managed franchises from a fan perspective, despite the crappy prequels. Star Trek has never really compared in that regard, unfortunately.

NOW QUIT IT!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2948 on: September 18, 2015, 08:05:57 AM »
Do you think The Force Awakens will crush Avatars record on the "highest-grossing film of all time"?

God I hope so.

Even worst case it should crack $1bn. If the movie is actually good, it should be around $1.5bn, and if it's amazing, who knows.

I think it will make $2bn easily.

If it's in 3D it will make an extra 33% on top of that. Plus repeat viewings and DIsney will kep it in the cinemas for about 6 months which will also help.

I'm gonna say 1.5bn EASILY. 2bn most likely and $3bn not a chance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2949 on: September 18, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »
despite the crappy prequels. Star Trek has never really compared in that regard

I Agree. Star Trek has never had any crappy prequels. :neverusethis:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2950 on: September 18, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »
I feel this movie is going to break whatever the world record is for highest grossing movie of all time. It's going to. People were excited about The Avengers, they're going to be 10x more excited about this.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2951 on: September 18, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »

I agree with Blob 100%.  I love Star Trek, but there is absolutely no comparison here as far as level of excitement and anticipation.  The fan base for Star Trek is much smaller than that of Star Wars.

Oh I agree, i'm just playing with Blob and he knows it. :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2952 on: September 18, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
It seems like the anticipation for Episode VII is even greater than there was for Episode I. I'm pretty sure it's going to break every record know to man. :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2953 on: September 18, 2015, 10:31:17 AM »
It seems like the anticipation for Episode VII is even greater than there was for Episode I. I'm pretty sure it's going to break every record know to man. :hat

Including Best Star Wars Movie.

i.e. The first "good" one. :neverusethis:

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2954 on: September 18, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »

Including Best Star Wars Movie.

i.e. The first "good" one. :neverusethis:

Someone needs to learn to love The Empire Strikes Back. :neverusethis:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2955 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:05:04 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2956 on: September 19, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: September 19, 2015, 12:09:32 PM »
Groovy. I might even snap them up !

But what aspect ratio will they be ? And will they be digitally remastered ?

I think they should do a JAWS type digital remaster . Clean everything up and release on Blu Ray in 16:9 with no new footage.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2958 on: September 19, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:05:18 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2959 on: September 19, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »
Whatever. If they release them in 16:9 with a bit of a clean up on Blu ray with nothing new added. I reckon they'll make an absolute fortune.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2960 on: September 19, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2961 on: September 19, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
3. I hope it makes a killing.

4. I hope George Lucre doesn't get a penny of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2962 on: September 19, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
I would like to buy that, but I already have the newest (I think) bluray box with all six films, which are the new versions with all the weird changes. I don't know if I'll want to spend money buying movies I already own, even if I'd like to have the theatrical cuts..

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2963 on: September 19, 2015, 11:37:42 PM »
It is a great day when my seven year old son watches a Star Wars Marathon with me and says. Dad, Yoda rules and that Jar Jar sucks . Proud Dad I am :rollin

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2964 on: September 20, 2015, 05:43:58 AM »
I imagine this will be like literally every other movie that has come out in the last ten years: if I see it, I will enjoy it while it is on the screen, and then I will never think about it again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2965 on: September 20, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
I think people are overly optimistic on how much this might gross.  In today's dollars, sure, it might get bigger than Avatar.  In real terms, I highly doubt it.  Avatar had something (the recorded 3D aspect) that was completely original and unique to the industry, and some absolutely stunning cinematography.  That's why it was able to top Titanic.  I don't think Star Wars has enough in the brand to overcome that.  People went to see it for the hype, and went back to see it because it was gorgeous.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. 

*prepares for the fanboys to dispute this*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: September 20, 2015, 07:06:46 AM »
We're all just speculating at this point, so all we can do is wait and see. I won't claim it will top Avatar (as I said, I think that will entirely depend on how good the movie actually is, because it doesn't have gimmicks to rely on), but I don't think anyone would doubt that it's going to make a shitload of money one way or another. The only question is just how large a shitload of money it will be. :lol

But I think there is definitely potential to do it. If an average dinosaur movie can make $1.6bn, I believe anything is possible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:13:20 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2967 on: September 20, 2015, 08:04:05 AM »
If Avatar relied on a gimmick - ( namely 3D I assume ) - how come it made damn near $3bn worldwide and not every 3D movie makes close to that ?

Must just be the 3D.

It couldn't possibly be the fact that people enjoyed it and kept going back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: September 20, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
If an average dinosaur movie can make $1.6bn, I believe anything is possible.

Yeah. :| Literally no idea how that happened. It wasn't even that amazing. It was a fun film. But Not THAT good.

It's not even like the dinosaurs looked super realistic ( they looked awful ).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2969 on: September 20, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
It couldn't possibly be the fact that people enjoyed it and kept going back.

I'm not saying people didn't enjoy it, but the visuals were a motivating factor for many people seeing it, and even the people who liked it mostly admitted the plot itself was nothing great or original.
It would be hard to deny that the 3D was at least a big factor. I'm not saying people couldn't otherwise enjoy it! There have been a ton of 3D movies since, but it was the first of the modern trend, so it stood apart at the time, and a lot of the 3D movies since have been sloppy post-conversions, which made the novelty wear off pretty quickly. At the time, there weren't really other 3D movies to see, nor the consumer equipment to watch it at home.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:19:22 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2970 on: September 20, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
I really don't think that Avatar made $2,800,000,000 just from it being in 3D.

I don't know why but some people ( not having a go at anyone on here ) can't seem to accept that people actually enjoyed the movie.

They always put it down to " The 3D was a gimmick " - despite it being one of the best 3D movies - not only at the time but also since.

Or it only made that much because it was re-released.

Star Trek 2009 was in the cinema for six whole months and made a whopping $385m so that's not it either.

And as for the basic plot. I actually liked it BECAUSE of the basic plot.

tl;dr - some people liked the movie despite all the "gimmicks"...

NOW - STAR WARS.

I might actually get the Theatrical Trilogy on Blu Ray and i'm interested in Force Awakens and will go and see it. But i'm more excited for Star Trek Beyond, obviously :p

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2971 on: September 20, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
As I just said, I didn't at all say that people didn't enjoy the film on its own merits, and I didn't say that it made $3bn only because it was 3D. Why bother arguing against this mythical "they"?
I simply said that it was helped by the novelty of 3D, because that was a unique experience at the time. Not sure what the problem is with that. Maybe it made an extra $1bn because of the 3D, maybe $500m, maybe $1.5bn, I don't know. There's no doubt it would have still been huge, but if people wanted to see a 3D movie, their only option at the time was to pay to see it again. It definitely brought in a lot of the repeat viewings, regardless of how good or bad the film was.

I'll believe they're releasing the OOT on Bluray when I see it. This rumour has been brought up too many times for me to believe it. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: September 20, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »

I'll believe they're releasing the OOT on Bluray when I see it. This rumour has been brought up too many times for me to believe it. :lol

Indeed. But it would never have happened under George Lucre because he has no idea what people want and doesn't give a shit.

Now that Disney own the rights and will be looking to make a return on their $4bn investment - it seems highly logical....(captain).....

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2973 on: September 20, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
Lucas probably didn't want to release his "unfinished" versions to the world.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2974 on: September 20, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »
I read somewhere that from merchandise alone they're set to make about $5bn from this movie. I don't think they'll have any problem getting a return on their investment.

It's a big undertaking to restore the OOT, but the movie needs to be rescanned for future releases above 1080p anyway, so hopefully this will really happen.

Lucas was a jerk who didn't care about what anyone else wanted.