Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461335 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2765 on: April 22, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »
Yup. But Avatar proves that even an unoriginal idea can be remembered if done well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2766 on: April 22, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
Hey, I liked Zathura!

I mean, I was, like, 7 or something when I saw it, but still.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2767 on: April 22, 2015, 01:48:37 PM »
I liked Zathura, too.  I hadn't seen Jumanji yet, and thus didn't realize that it's basically the same story, but that actually shouldn't matter.  On its own, it was fine.  In fact, when we got around to watching Jumanji, I enjoyed that, too, because Robin Williams.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: April 22, 2015, 02:17:57 PM »
Isn't Zathura the sequel to Jumanji ?

One of those sequel that isn't a sequel type films ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2769 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
I liked Zathura, too.  I hadn't seen Jumanji yet, and thus didn't realize that it's basically the same story, but that actually shouldn't matter. 
Well, the films are based on books by the same author.  The book Zathura is a sequel (of sorts) to the book Jumanji, but that isn't the case in the films.

So it does matter.  They made a film that is connected, but didn't connect it.  So for people who don't know about the books, it seems like a ripoff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2770 on: April 22, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
What I meant was that the biggest complaint I've heard about Zathura is that it's just a ripoff/rehash of Jumanji.  To me, that should not matter.  What I care about is whether or not the movie entertained me.  It did.  Is it the same as some other movie?  Doesn't matter.  Is it a ripoff of some other movie?  Doesn't matter.  I can see why it can bother some people, but many, many movies have basically the same plot as some other movie, so what?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2771 on: April 22, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
What I meant was that the biggest complaint I've heard about Zathura is that it's just a ripoff/rehash of Jumanji.  To me, that should not matter.  What I care about is whether or not the movie entertained me.  It did.  Is it the same as some other movie?  Doesn't matter.  Is it a ripoff of some other movie?  Doesn't matter.  I can see why it can bother some people, but many, many movies have basically the same plot as some other movie, so what?
You have a very rare viewpoint.  I would imagine that the vast majority of people think it matters if they perceive that a movie (or book, or TV show, whatever) is ripping off another.

It certainly pisses me off.  It's just lazy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2772 on: April 22, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:00:36 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2773 on: April 22, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »
You have a very rare viewpoint.  I would imagine that the vast majority of people think it matters if they perceive that a movie (or book, or TV show, whatever) is ripping off another.

Wasn't it you and I that had a similar discussion regarding the Big King burger from Burger King, and how it's basically a ripoff of the Big Mac from McDonald's?  You (or whoever I'm confusing you with) said that you couldn't stand the Big King because it's such a ripoff.  It's actually a superior burger.  Bigger, better quality ingredients, pretty much better in every way.  When I eat a Big King, I enjoy it.  Do I care that it's a ripoff of the Big Mac?  Not one damned bit.  What matters is whether I enjoy what I'm experiencing.  Other people can come up with reasons to not like it, but to me what matters is how it tastes, period.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: April 22, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
Is Avatar similar to lots of other movies ? Yes.

Do I care ? No. Lots of movies have the same basic storyline.

Did I enjoy it regardless ? Hell yes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2775 on: April 22, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
Exactly.  It looked cool, had a twist or two, it entertained.  That's all that matters.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2776 on: April 22, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:00:49 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2777 on: April 22, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I don't think anybody was comparing Star Wars to Avatar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2778 on: April 22, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
I would compare Caddyshack with Dude, Where's My Car.

Nah.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2779 on: April 22, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
It's been a little while since I saw Zathura, and I thought it was decent. I didn't care about the similarities to Jumanji, because it still took it in its own direction despite the same premise.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2780 on: April 22, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »
I liked Zathura, too.  I hadn't seen Jumanji yet, and thus didn't realize that it's basically the same story, but that actually shouldn't matter. 
Well, the films are based on books by the same author.  The book Zathura is a sequel (of sorts) to the book Jumanji, but that isn't the case in the films.

So it does matter.  They made a film that is connected, but didn't connect it. So for people who don't know about the books, it seems like a ripoff.

So did they just ignore the tagline on the poster?

Maybe the better word would just be rehash. I usually equate ripoff to a separate entity creating a near clone of something whereas a rehash is the same story universe reusing the same storytelling cycle.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:15:19 PM by orcus116 »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2781 on: April 22, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »
Helps if you can see the tagline.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2782 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »
Changed the image link if that didn't work before. I've never seen the movie but from what little I remember from the marketing it never tried to hide itself from the fact that it was related to Jumanji.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2783 on: April 22, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
That tagline even words it ambiguously so you think it's connected directly to Jumanji. From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense that they'd try to capitalize on Jumanji's success, rather than try to ignore the obvious similarities.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2784 on: April 23, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »

Wasn't it you and I that had a similar discussion regarding the Big King burger from Burger King, and how it's basically a ripoff of the Big Mac from McDonald's?  You (or whoever I'm confusing you with) said that you couldn't stand the Big King because it's such a ripoff.  It's actually a superior burger.  Bigger, better quality ingredients, pretty much better in every way.  When I eat a Big King, I enjoy it.  Do I care that it's a ripoff of the Big Mac?  Not one damned bit.  What matters is whether I enjoy what I'm experiencing.  Other people can come up with reasons to not like it, but to me what matters is how it tastes, period.
I remember discussing it, but I like the Big King, it tastes good.

But it's a ripoff.

If something is a ripoff, it's a ripoff, whether it is good or not, and that one in particular is a pretty blatant one.

The Big Mac is better.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2785 on: April 23, 2015, 11:39:30 AM »
I guess I didn't remember the specifics of the conversation that well.  In general, the idea of blatantly copying something is bad to me, and whoever's doing it definitely loses style points.  But as I said, what it comes down to is whether or not I enjoy the final product.  Hell, there are 1000 different pizza places here in the Chicago area.  Do I care that every single one of them is making something that they didn't invent?  Nope.  I just order the pizza I like.  Same with any food, or movie, or whatever.  I care whether or not I enjoy it.

Now, there will be cases where my awareness that something is literally copied from something else will affect my enjoyment of it.  If I can't watch a certain scene from a movie without it reminding me of the exact same thing happening in some other movie, that can be distracting.  And if it's so distracting that I can't enjoy the scene, then there it is, I don't like it.  But I don't dislike something simply because it copies something else.  I can still enjoy the final result.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2786 on: April 23, 2015, 11:40:51 AM »
I am with Orbert.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2787 on: April 23, 2015, 12:01:44 PM »
There is a local sandwich shop that dates back to the 50s.  They have their version of the Big Mac, too.  It's called the Big Mo.

I give the Big Mo a pass because it is ten times better than the Big Mac or the Big King.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2788 on: April 23, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
I am with Orbert.

But I was already with Orbert.
You are blatantly copying.
But I can still enjoy you being with Orbert.
Proceed.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2789 on: April 23, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
The big carl beats them all.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2790 on: April 23, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
The big carl beats them all.

Five Guys, FTW

thread officially derailed

:trainwreck:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2791 on: April 24, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
Flametrooper!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Calvin6s

« Reply #2792 on: April 24, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:01:19 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2793 on: April 24, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
Yea I heard someone mention the costum from the celebration and that they're in the upcoming movie Including the new snowtroopers. Cool stuff!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Calvin6s

« Reply #2794 on: April 24, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:01:28 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2795 on: April 24, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »
I've downloaded the first 6 Star Wars films. I'm almost there! Should I start with 4,5, and 6 first?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: April 24, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »
Yes. The context in which the films were made is more important than seeing the story in chronological order. Also, just curious. Do you have the theatrical releases or the special editions?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2797 on: April 24, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
Yes. The context in which the films were made is more important than seeing the story in chronological order. Also, just curious. Do you have the theatrical releases or the special editions?

I have no idea  :lol I'm going to assume theatrical release because I didn't see anything about special edition anywhere.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2798 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »
Actually, if you didn't see anything, it's much more likely you have the special editions, which is fine. While some of the changes can be infuriating to many fans, it won't by any means ruin the experience for a first time viewer.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2799 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
Actually, if you didn't see anything, it's much more likely you have the special editions, which is fine. While some of the changes can be infuriating to many fans, it won't by any means ruin the experience for a first time viewer.

What kind of stuff was changed? Were scenes added or removed, or was it just updated effects and stuff like that?