Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461360 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2590 on: December 13, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
At the very least, it should crack $1 billion. The new movie will definitely be released in 3D, but it will be post-converted, so I don't know how that may affect the 3D ticket sales.
The price is the same either way, and the general masses don't know the difference anyway.  No effect.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2591 on: December 13, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
At the very least, it should crack $1 billion. The new movie will definitely be released in 3D, but it will be post-converted, so I don't know how that may affect the 3D ticket sales.
The price is the same either way, and the general masses don't know the difference anyway.  No effect.

3D costs more here, but you're probably right.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2592 on: December 13, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
The difference is that Avatar had all the hype of 3D as a new technology, and it was (the first?) shot in 3D, so it truly made it groundbreaking.  Couple of things are needed to make a movie generate that much $$$.  A) Repeat views.  Something in the movie has to make people want to go back and see it again.  B) Getting all demographics to see it.  Star Wars has those going for it.  Phantom Menace cracked $1B in an age without 3D.  So, I can see Ep VII easily getting $1B, maybe surpassing $1.5B. 

I really don't know what the tangibly greater appeal that Titanic and Avatar had that make them the only two films crack the $2B mark - and it's not even close after that... Avengers at $1.5B-ish
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2593 on: December 13, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »
It's always nice to have some more details, although the names don't tell us much. On the other hand, it's a bit interesting that they didn't list Finn and Rey's last names as they did the others.

*Prays to god that there aren't any Solo / Leia / or even Luke kids*

Daisy Ridley's character, Rey, is almost definitely either a Solo or Skywalker. Her look in the new trailer was even largely inspired by unused concept art of fem!Luke from the 70's.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
TPM only cracked $1bn after it was re-released in post converted 3D. It didn't make it on its original run.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2595 on: December 13, 2014, 10:21:32 AM »
TPM only cracked $1bn after it was re-released in post converted 3D. It didn't make it on its original run.

Keep in mind that was 15 years ago now, and it still made over $900m in its original run. 900m back then would probably be at least equivalent to 1 billion now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2596 on: December 14, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
It's a really small detail, but I really love that little rolling droid. It must be some of the most humble, yet genuine, CGI I've seen in a long time.

So apparently the reason I felt this way is because that little droid (or BB-8 now I guess), isn't even CGI. So that's cool.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2597 on: December 14, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »
It's a really small detail, but I really love that little rolling droid. It must be some of the most humble, yet genuine, CGI I've seen in a long time.

So apparently the reason I felt this way is because that little droid (or BB-8 now I guess), isn't even CGI. So that's cool.
Wait what? How?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: December 14, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »

Wait what? How?

Duh, they just hired a droid.  :loser:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/14/mark-hamill-says-star-wars-the-force-awakens-bb-8-is-a-prop-not-cgi

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2599 on: February 12, 2015, 03:47:12 AM »
Some rumors about the upcoming Star Wars: Battlefront. It's supposedly linked with The Force Awakens in some areas, that's why I thought it belongs in this thread. Again rumors so take it with a grain of salt.

https://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/tons-star-wars-battlefront-rumors-links-star-wars-force-awakens/

The story of Star Wars: Battlefront’s campaign will span pretty much the entire Star Wars saga.
That sounds a bit to ambitious but if so pretty damn cool.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: February 13, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »

Wait what? How?

It might be a practical effect - augmented by CGI - for example it might be on an arm that has been removed in post production.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2601 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
Mark Hamill said it was all practical, and that he they let him 'play around' with it once or something.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2602 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
Or, you know, it's remote controlled. Like how they used to do robots for about two decades before CGI became the rage  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2603 on: February 14, 2015, 02:49:13 AM »
Or, you know, it's remote controlled.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: February 14, 2015, 04:57:58 AM »
If it's remote controlled - i'd like to see how it articulates since it looks like a rolling ball with another ball on top that stays up right.

I'm guessing it's two dome shaped "wheels" attached to an upside down  T shape with the head on top.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: March 05, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »
Poor ol' Harrison's hurt himself again.  Was piloting this..........serious injuries,not life threatening. 

PS  Hmmm.......could be critical depending on who you read  :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:28:35 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2607 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »
He's been involved in three crashes now...one he wasn't pioloting....two he was.....a helicopter and now this. I'd say it's time to re-think the whole 'I wanna be a piolot' dream Mr. Ford. No need to go dying like that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Rumour has it he's been hanging around with bout to crash - I suggest he choose his company more carefully  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2609 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Rumour has it he's been hanging around with bout to crash - I suggest he choose his company more carefully  ;D

:facepalm:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
Yep - need to turn that filter back on   ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2611 on: March 06, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »

wut
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2612 on: March 07, 2015, 01:45:21 AM »

wut
It was a pun.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2613 on: March 12, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
So, Star Wars: Episode VIII release date is May 2017.

Also, first SW offshoot single film release to be named Star Wars: Rogue One, in December 2016.

:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2614 on: March 12, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »
Excite I am
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2615 on: March 13, 2015, 03:23:05 AM »
Cool stuff. I still have my doubts about the stand-alone movies, but I am very excited for the future 'Episodes'.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2616 on: March 13, 2015, 04:27:48 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:55:34 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2617 on: March 23, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
Out of nowhere thought: Has Lucas detailed exactly why he made each change to his movies? Saying the original releases weren't finished is not what I mean. Has he, as a director, explained the changes he made and why, to him, that makes those scenes better?

Calvin6s

« Reply #2618 on: March 23, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:55:44 PM by Calvin6s »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2619 on: March 23, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
The only one I remember that he's specifically addressed is the "Han shot first" issue.  He said that in the first movie, Han was a badass renegade, certainly not above shooting some bounty hunter if it meant he gets out of there alive.  But over the course of the trilogy, he becomes a hero as much as Luke and the others, and he had trouble with Han shooting a guy in cold blood like that.  So he changed it to make Greedo shoot first.

This of course inadvertently reveals what we've suspected all along: that Lucas didn't have some "grand plan" in mind for the trilogy or six or nine films as he's said at various times.  Also, damn, the original re-edit was horrible.  For a professional bounty hunter, Greedo was a horrible shot.  The version out there now is almost believeable, but still pretty bad.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2620 on: March 23, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
Out of nowhere thought: Has Lucas detailed exactly why he made each change to his movies? Saying the original releases weren't finished is not what I mean. Has he, as a director, explained the changes he made and why, to him, that makes those scenes better?

I think he didn't have the technology to make one actor (Greedo) shoot before another actor (Han Solo).  I could say I don't care about his changes.  They are in the past.  Except they weren't.  The ROTJ Darth Vader "Nooo" just made the whole release a waste.  Can't we just get the cleaned up print and special FX that are just improved, not changed, just for one nice BluRay release?

But hopefully that is a thing of the past now.

I bolded probably the most frustrating one. I mean as a director you must realize how injecting that into the scene completely undoes how powerful the original was, right?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2621 on: April 16, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »
Saw something on Facebook about a new trailer today. Any truth to that, I thought it was supposed to premiere at Avengers.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2622 on: April 16, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
Saw something on Facebook about a new trailer today. Any truth to that, I thought it was supposed to premiere at Avengers.
Apparently the theater premiere will be with Avengers. 

It is expected to debut today for the crowd at Star Wars Experience in Anaheim.  People assume that it will then land online later today.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2623 on: April 16, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
Ahhh gotcha, thanks hef  :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2624 on: April 16, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »
:vader: