Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461291 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2275 on: October 04, 2014, 03:06:49 AM »
They went light sabre crazy in the prequels . Especially when Obi Wan was fighting that robot ( Darth Grevious ? ) with 4 light sabres.  ::)

So much stuff in the prequels was Lucas thinking :

" well people liked this from the originals - now i'm gonna ramp it up times ten and take away any meaning that the original scenes had. "

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2276 on: October 04, 2014, 05:20:39 AM »
They went light sabre crazy in the prequels . Especially when Obi Wan was fighting that robot ( Darth Grevious ? ) with 4 light sabres.  ::)
In all fairness (despite the insanity of General Greivous), there SHOULD have been more lightsabers in the prequels.  There were still Jedi around then.  In the OT, all of the Jedi are dead, and the only people who still had lightsabers were Darth Vader and Obi-Wan (and later Luke).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2277 on: October 04, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
The problem with over-using the lightsabers in the prequels is that they lost a lot of their charm and what made them special. In the original trilogy, the lightsaber feels mysterious, an ancient and powerful weapon, only wielded by the Jedi (and the Sith) and you get a sense of how it's not a very common weapon, but only used by a few. The sparse use of the weapon also gave it more power, once they took out the lightsabers, you knew they meant business and that shit would go down. In the prequels, everybody.. and I mean everybody has a lightsaber, you even see classes of small kids practicing with them. Characters pull out their lightsabers as soon as they hear noises. It's just an excuse to throw more CGI into a scene overloaded with it already.

Giving everybody a lightsaber and giving them "reasons" for flashing them in every scene really killed a lot of it. If Luke had run around with his lightsaber out in all of the original trilogy, it wouldn't have been as special when he confronted Vader or the Emperor.

I also want to point out that adding more colors to them only made it more stupid IMO. Samuel L Jackson wants a purple lightsaber? I always liked the simplicity of the original colors. You had Blue which was sort of the apprentice Jedi, Green which was the master Jedi, and Red for the corrupted Sith. I understand Yellow is quite normal in the books/novels/games (whatever) and I think another "global" color could be cool, but seeing characters have unique colors only to themselves was kinda lame.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2278 on: October 06, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »
The problem with over-using the lightsabers in the prequels is that they lost a lot of their charm and what made them special. In the original trilogy, the lightsaber feels mysterious, an ancient and powerful weapon, only wielded by the Jedi (and the Sith) and you get a sense of how it's not a very common weapon, but only used by a few. The sparse use of the weapon also gave it more power, once they took out the lightsabers, you knew they meant business and that shit would go down. In the prequels, everybody.. and I mean everybody has a lightsaber, you even see classes of small kids practicing with them. Characters pull out their lightsabers as soon as they hear noises. It's just an excuse to throw more CGI into a scene overloaded with it already.

Giving everybody a lightsaber and giving them "reasons" for flashing them in every scene really killed a lot of it. If Luke had run around with his lightsaber out in all of the original trilogy, it wouldn't have been as special when he confronted Vader or the Emperor.

I also want to point out that adding more colors to them only made it more stupid IMO. Samuel L Jackson wants a purple lightsaber? I always liked the simplicity of the original colors. You had Blue which was sort of the apprentice Jedi, Green which was the master Jedi, and Red for the corrupted Sith. I understand Yellow is quite normal in the books/novels/games (whatever) and I think another "global" color could be cool, but seeing characters have unique colors only to themselves was kinda lame.
I agree with you, but to be fair it makes sense that in a Republic with a prosperous (don't know if this is the appropiate term) Jedi Order the lightsabers were a common sight.
In the empire era we only know of the existence of only 5 jedi in the whole galaxy so it kinda follows a logic.

BTW if I'm not mistaken the colour of the lightsabers it has to do normally with the specialization every jedi follows when becomes a Knight. This is not a rule though, every jedi can pick any crystal.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2279 on: October 06, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Shit I'd be sportin' a purple saber if given the option...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2280 on: October 13, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
I'd be too. I love the way they look, separate from the in-universe aspect
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2281 on: October 13, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

Well, I suppose it depends if you mean special to you (the viewer) or special in the SW universe.   I'm kinda in the camp that says it follows the logic and makes what Luke and Ben and Anakin and Yoda did in the OT special knowing that they were but four that survived of the many.  It made the 'discover' by Luke more poignant knowing that so many were lost to history and this is one of the very few that remained.   It was also necessary to establish why others would know what it is, but not have them (as opposed to being something that was ALWAYS so rare that only a few people even know what they are).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2282 on: October 13, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
Yeah, I agree with that.  The widespread use of them in the prequels is not only consistent with the history Lucas set up in the OT, but is pretty much necessary.  Zantera, I think you are more projecting your fan nostalgia and how you thought things should be rather than seeing them in terms of how the story set them up to be.  This is actually something that Lucas somehow managed to get right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2283 on: October 18, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
NO ONE is talking about Rebels???

I missed the premiere, but I just watched it On Demand, and I have to say that I was *really* impressed.   When I first saw The Clone Wars premiere, I was really disappointed, and subsequently never followed it (though I heard it got better).    My feeling after watching this premier was a complete 180 degree turn.   I really loved this.   

This just gets me that much more excited.  I think Disney is definitely doing it right.  Star Wars IS BACK!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2284 on: October 19, 2014, 02:47:50 AM »
I need to start watching Rebels as well. Should be great!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2285 on: October 19, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
Going to be watching Episodes 2 and 3 tonight before the premiere of 4 tomorrow.

BTW, they are going to be re-premiering the pilot episode on ABC on October 26th with a bonus scene....with James Earl Jones in a cameo as Darth Vader!  :metal

I will give everyone one warning.   The animation on the Wookies is *TERRIBLE*...   The story and all the characters absolutely have the feel of the original Star Wars we all know and love, but some of the animation is suspect, and the Wookies are particularly awful.    But it doesn't effect the story at all.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2286 on: October 22, 2014, 08:14:45 AM »
I watched the first episode, and I fully agree with you on the Wookie animations. However, I liked the episode way more than I thought I would. It really has a classic Star Wars feel, albeit a bit focused on a younger audience.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2287 on: October 22, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »
A bit more behind than I wanted to be, but watched the second episode tonight.   There is no doubt about it.   The animation is almost distractingly bad, but the story writers have NAILED it.   Totally has the feel and the emotion of the OT.  Can't wait to watch the next one.

....and the bonus footage next week with James Earl Jones should be amazing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2288 on: October 23, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
I gotta say guys, I'm a little shocked at how little anyone is talking about this.   I mean, TCW got more discussion than this, and it was not as good a show, and certainly not as big a deal.   I mean...this is the very first output of the Disney-era...I figured everyone would be on this like white on rice to see if they got it right or not.   (Obviously, I think they nailed it) 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2289 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
I'm not talking about it because I have no idea what you are talking about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2290 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
I'm not talking about it because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Star Wars Rebels!  The first output from Disney in the Star Wars universe!   Brand new animated series!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2291 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
I had no idea.  Where is it on?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2292 on: October 23, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
Currently on Disney XD Monday night, and we're 4 episodes in.  (I'm getting caught up on On Demand)  The pilot will RE-premier on ABC next Monday with a few seconds of bonus footage that will feature James Earl Jones as Darth Vader.

The timeline is between RotS and ANH.

I just watched episode 3.   It was a bit more "fluffy", but it was still good.   You know what I realized though?   They borrowed *A LOT* from Firefly.   Not in a bad way, but they are obviously tapping into the Firefly fanbase that isn't getting their "fix".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2293 on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
I never saw Firefly.

This sounds pretty good, but I likely will end up just catching up on it when it hits NetFlix or the DVD box set comes out.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2294 on: October 24, 2014, 06:35:13 AM »
I don't care about animated series.  Besides, it is just background and filler.  If it's important, it will be on a film screen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2295 on: October 25, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
I could never take cartoon spinoffs of live action feature films as canon, regardless of what it is and who produced it.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2296 on: October 25, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »
So you mean I shouldn't consider a court case in which Jay sues the Quick Stop with a jury of NBA players canon? Dammit
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2297 on: October 26, 2014, 02:14:16 AM »
NO ONE is talking about Rebels???

I missed the premiere, but I just watched it On Demand, and I have to say that I was *really* impressed.   When I first saw The Clone Wars premiere, I was really disappointed, and subsequently never followed it (though I heard it got better).    My feeling after watching this premier was a complete 180 degree turn.   I really loved this.   

This just gets me that much more excited.  I think Disney is definitely doing it right.  Star Wars IS BACK!!!

Dude, all the seasons of  The Clone Wars are on Netflix, and I watched them all this summer. While I agree the first season was a tad weak, yet entertaining, the rest are incredible.

I can't wait to check out Rebels!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2298 on: October 26, 2014, 04:26:17 AM »
I could never take cartoon spinoffs of live action feature films as canon, regardless of what it is and who produced it.
Ditto

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2300 on: October 26, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
For what it's worth, I caught the encore presentation on ABC of the debut episode.  I agree, the animation, of the wookies especially, was noticeably "bad" (or is it "stylistic"?) but I thought the direction of the episode was extremely good and it gives me hope for the new films.  Still a little more kid-oriented than I'd like, but I enjoyed it more than the Clone Wars (which I didn't watch that much because I didn't find what I saw compelling).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2301 on: October 26, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
For what it's worth, I caught the encore presentation on ABC of the debut episode.  I agree, the animation, of the wookies especially, was noticeably "bad" (or is it "stylistic"?) but I thought the direction of the episode was extremely good and it gives me hope for the new films.  Still a little more kid-oriented than I'd like, but I enjoyed it more than the Clone Wars (which I didn't watch that much because I didn't find what I saw compelling).

I'm excited to see the bonus footage with Darth Vader.   DVRing it.  (west coast, and I have a *very* early bedtime)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2302 on: October 27, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
I don't care about animated series.  Besides, it is just background and filler.  If it's important, it will be on a film screen.

Agents of SHIELD would like a word with you.  ;)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2303 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »

Agents of SHIELD would like a word with you.  ;)
Well, it's on film, and on a screen.  And not animated.

I like that show.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2304 on: October 27, 2014, 03:29:07 PM »
rumor that John Williams is currently writing new music that will appear in a trailer for Episode 7 that will be shown starting around Christmas time:

https://www.theforce.net/story/front/Rumor_John_Williams_Scoring_Episode_VII_Trailer_In_LA_Next_Month_160550.asp

previously John Williams already has stated that he was going to start composing music for the new film this month.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
I wonder if they'll keep the opening crawl and theme music.

Does that not seem a bit old hat now ?

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2306 on: October 28, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
I would be shocked if they didn't have the same opening crawl and main theme over it.  After all, they've maintained it for the first 6 episodes, so it should be the same for the 7th, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2307 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
I would be shocked if they didn't have the same opening crawl and main theme over it.  After all, they've maintained it for the first 6 episodes, so it should be the same for the 7th, right?

Yeah, it is a MUST.  The opening crawl is practically the equivalent of a "main character" in the SW universe.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2308 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

What?  No. 

Are you high?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2309 on: October 28, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »

What?  No. 

Are you high?

Yeah... it's about as mandatory as John Williams writing the score.  These things go hand in hand in a Star Wars movie.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion