Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461341 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2030 on: May 22, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
That bastard.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2031 on: May 22, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
At this point, I'm sorry, but I think you're just being a naysayer. Maybe I'll eat my words come December 2015, but I'm not gonna just shit on it before I've even seen a trailer, let alone the movie itself.

If it's good, it's good.  I didn't think the Avengers would be very good, and I was happy to be wrong about that one.

But I have to strongly advise against having any expectations for this movie whatsoever.  It's setting yourself up for disappointment.

And in a personal sense, I hate that JJ Abrams is successful.  I don't like what it says about America.

That's just it, though; I have no expectations for this Star Wars. You seem to expect it'll be shit. Not saying that can't be a valid opinion, but let's at least see some teaser footage first.

I'm sure you'd all expect any film with Robert Pattinson in it will feature him as a wooden, flat, boring actor, right? I read a review of a movie called The Rover (which I now plan on seeing when it comes to the US) that says he was surprisingly very good in it. Just because JJ doesn't have a strong track record doesn't mean he can't still surprise us when the circumstances are right (i.e. directing a series he actually really likes). And it's not like he's a total hack - as I've established, he can write fairly decent screenplays.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2032 on: May 23, 2014, 12:32:57 AM »
But this movie needs a director who's willing to fight for a creative vision.  I saw the leaked casting sheets.  All the new roles were ridiculous stock characters.  Female who's headstrong and insecure.  Male who's tough and cocky.  Stuff like that.  Because's JJ's so limited as a storyteller, I'm not even sure he cares about this stuff.

Have you ever seen casting sheets before? That's basically what they look like. They're not supposed to be detailed character bios, they're a very simplified idea of what they're looking for in casting. Given how late they were with the script, they may not have even had a fully fleshed out script yet when they wrote up the casting sheet either.

Believe me, I'm not a JJ Abrams fan either (just check out the Star Trek thread :lol ), but given the tighter leash he's on, and the people involved, I think his directing input will really make this movie. He's a fan of the source material by all accounts, and even though his style felt shoehorned in with Star Trek, it was really the perfect approach for a Star Wars movie in terms of pacing and presentation. I don't expect him to deviate too far to put his mark on it, I think he just wants to make a great Star Wars film.

On top of that, we have a rough outline from George Lucas (which seems to be the perfect amount of input from him), a script written by the guy who helped wrote ESB rather than the usual JJ lackies, and Disney / Lucasfilm overlooking the whole thing.

JJ is just one part of a pretty large puzzle here, and I think he'll fit into that role just right for this movie to be at least pretty good. Every bit of information so far tells me they want to do this right.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2033 on: May 23, 2014, 04:48:53 AM »
Yeah, Reap.  It's not Shyamalan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2034 on: May 23, 2014, 04:54:28 AM »
What the hell happend to Shyamalan-ma-ding-dong? The Sixth Sense is awesome. Compared to others I actually can stand The Village. Signs is also pretty good and I pretty much enjoyed The Happening. The rest I leave commentless.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2035 on: May 23, 2014, 05:08:55 AM »
Most of the rest have their fans.   Unbreakable is really awesome, and I seem to be one of the few who absolutely loved Lady in the Water.

EDIT:   Don't want to get too far off topic, but I always felt like Night's movies are like classic Twilight Zone episodes...even if that doesn't make for a great *film*.   I honestly think that if he did a TZ revival, it would be brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2036 on: May 23, 2014, 05:12:10 AM »
Yea come to think of it, Unbreakable is pretty cool.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2037 on: May 23, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
I think Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are good/alright, but it seems like he went out of his way with every movie to have a new twist, and for every new movie the story itself was swept aside to focus on the twist, and the twist became dumber and dumber with each movie. In his first few movies, the twist made sense and worked in the movie, but the twists and movies became dumber and dumber, and he pretty much sealed the last nail in his own coffin with After Earth.

I hope he can return and do something good, because personally I love movies with a good twist, but he was lucky enough to start off with his best movie, and everything since has been worse.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2038 on: May 23, 2014, 07:04:36 AM »
Yea come to think of it, Unbreakable is pretty cool.

Unbreakable is awesome.

And along with what Zantera said,

Right off the bat after 6th sense, he should have just done something completely different and then have a "twist" movie here and there throughout his career. But no, now he will forever be know as the twist guy.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2039 on: May 23, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »

At least Shyamalan has a good movie.  Mission Impossible III is passable, I guess, but I wouldn't really praise it at all.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2040 on: May 23, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »

At least Shyamalan has a good movie.  Mission Impossible III is passable, I guess, but I wouldn't really praise it at all.
What? III is my favorite one. Shame on you.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: May 23, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
:lol This thread has turned into Shyamalan is a better director than JJ Abrams...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2042 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:45 AM »
:lol This thread has turned into Shyamalan is a better director than JJ Abrams...
That is really sad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: June 02, 2014, 07:16:01 AM »
Some photos from the set-
https://www.tmz.com/photos/2014/06/02/star-wars-episode-7-set/images/2014/05/31/sw-7-15-jpg/

Nothing super exciting, but it's nice to see more physical stuff rather than CG.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: June 02, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »
Now that is a big pig.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #2045 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »
https://www.tmz.com/photos/2014/06/02/star-wars-episode-7-set/images/2014/05/31/sw-7-15-jpg/

Nothing super exciting, but it's nice to see more physical stuff rather than CG.

Sweet, you can never have too much Tatooine!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: June 02, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »

Sweet, you can never have too much Tatooine!

Is that sarcastic? I only ask because for some reason I've seen nothing but bitching from SW fans about Tatooine being featured so often. Personally, I have no problem with it, and it's such an iconic SW place that it makes sense to include it for familiarity along with the original cast. :dunno:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2047 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
I don't understand people having issues with Tatooine.  To me, it's like the "home planet" of the entire saga.  Luke grew up there, Obi-Wan hung out there.  We find out later that this isn't a coincidence, but whatever.  Shmi is from Tatooine, and Anakin lived his early life there.  It wouldn't make sense to not return to Tatoonie in the new movies.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: June 02, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »
I don't understand people having issues with Tatooine.  To me, it's like the "home planet" of the entire saga.  Luke grew up there, Obi-Wan hung out there.  We find out later that this isn't a coincidence, but whatever.  Shmi is from Tatooine, and Anakin lived his early life there.  It wouldn't make sense to not return to Tatoonie in the new movies.

I agree. I've seen people argue that in such a huge universe of planets and ideas to explore, they keep returning to Tatooine, and that it's an insignificant planet that everyone's trying to get away from, and yet they keep showing it.
Maybe it isn't the most significant planet universally speaking, but it's important to these characters' stories, and it's a familiar setting to ground the movies, and quickly establish the Star Wars "vibe" so people are a bit more open to accepting these new movies.

Maybe it's more of a hardcore fan criticism, for people who are into all of the EU books and videogames etc that have used a lot of new ideas, but as a casual fan, I want to see these familiar settings 30 years later post-ROTJ, and I want to see Tatooine bustling with wacky looking aliens going about their business.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2049 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
I've always liked the Tatooine setting. Its got the definitive Star Wars feel.

And I'm happy to see its return. And more importantly there's one thing I'm seeing nothing of so far and that's blue screen. Sure there's gonna be GC, but less is more imo and so far so good. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: June 02, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
I've always liked the Tatooine setting. Its got the definitive Star Wars feel.

And I'm happy to see its return. And more importantly there's one thing I'm seeing nothing of so far and that's blue screen. Sure there's gonna be GC, but less is more imo and so far so good. 

These days blue screen isn't a necessity for keying a live scene, especially if they're adding extra creatures, or doing matte extensions. I'd still expect them to enhance these shots later with plenty of CG in that manner, but they're obviously focusing on doing as much as they can physically to match the style of the original movies, which is a great sign for this movie.

• DTF.org Member

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2052 on: June 02, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »
Ooh, upping the babe factor.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
Do people actually really go and see films because they fancy someone in it ?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: June 02, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
Wouldn't have thought it would happen this early, but I just felt the first twinge of excitement for this project after looking at those pictures.

According to some of the suits in Hollywood, that's the only reason people go to a film. It's always been a star-driven industry, going to back to Bogart, Cagney, Gable...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2055 on: June 02, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »
I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
But films these days are so expensive. I would never pay up to £15 on a night out at the cinema just because I fancied someone in the film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2057 on: June 02, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
The only reason I want to see The Other Woman is because Kate Upton is in it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2058 on: June 02, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
The only reason I want to see The Other Woman is because Hef wants to see Kate Upton in it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2059 on: June 02, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
I think it's more for people on the fence about it.  They might go see it or not, but hey, there's someone in it that they like and usually they like their work, so that could be enough to go.  Or not.

It's Star Wars.  It seems to me that most people will either go see it or not because it's Star Wars, not because of who's in it.  But as I said, it can't hurt.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2060 on: June 02, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
I have no problem with Tatooine, but it does seem like an awful lot does happen there for being the planet that's theoretically the farthest from that "bright center of the universe."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: June 02, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

I have never gone and paid to see a movie based on the cast. Celebrities aren't a motivating factor for me. If that was all I'm interested in, I'd just use the Google! If it's on TV, and there's someone hot in it (or just an actor I like), it might persuade me to watch it for a bit longer than otherwise.
Neither of those new girls are hot at all anyway. :blob:

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2062 on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »

She can look at me all she wants with those pretty eyes. Damn. Wonderful actress, too.  Great addition to this cast.

EDIT:

My friend just had the brilliant notion that if The Clone Wars series were ever live action, these two new ladies could be your Ashoka Tano and Asajj Ventress

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:06:22 PM by Accelerando »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2064 on: June 03, 2014, 04:16:13 AM »
Wow! They're really going full speed ahead with this practical effects thing.