Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461342 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1680 on: January 13, 2014, 09:46:31 PM »
I only ever watch the prequels for the action sequences.  They're good in all of them.  Everything in between is shite... in all of them.  Especially all of them.

Sans the Count Dooku and Anakin lightsaber battle in AOTC. That was a terribly shot sequence

Agreed, because I wouldn't even call it an action sequence.  You can't even call it a lightsaber duel.  It was mostly just closeups on Christiansen and Lee with red/blue/green lighting and lightsaber sound effects.

Edit - ninja'd
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1681 on: January 13, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
I won't put my ranks up because I would be shot

Don't worry, I get it all the time.  :biggrin:

I proudly and openly love all the (live action) Star Wars films.   :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1682 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:50 AM »
Sure it is.  You just choose not to see it.
So - let me get this straight - Padme DIED because Anakin "died."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1683 on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »
I just want to know what kind of far away galaxy they live in where they can surgically attach a bionic hand but can't take away the excruciating pain of childbirth.  So many examples of poor writing in the prequels.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1684 on: January 14, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
I just want to know what kind of far away galaxy they live in where they can surgically attach a bionic hand but can't take away the excruciating pain of childbirth.  So many examples of poor writing in the prequels.

And related to that, the bionic hand itself was COMPLETELY fake and unbelievable.  I mean, come on!  It didn't even make that Steve Austin sound
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
Edit: Oops
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:35:03 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline j

« Reply #1686 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:17 AM »
I think Return of the Jedi is my favorite as well.

ROTJ
ESB

ANH

ROTS

AOTC
TPM

-J

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #1687 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
Pretty cool video about Geno Smith's upbringing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC8HWKECaQ

...And, there's the real reason he switched agents after the draft. I don't think his previous agent could offer such a nice PR piece like that.

I don't think he was in Star Wars.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
Pretty cool video about Geno Smith's upbringing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC8HWKECaQ

...And, there's the real reason he switched agents after the draft. I don't think his previous agent could offer such a nice PR piece like that.

I don't think he was in Star Wars.
I have *no idea* how that got in here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1689 on: January 15, 2014, 04:54:58 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1690 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
The sad thing is, if Geno was in the prequels, I don't think he could have made them worse.  Or maybe the saddest thing is that even if Sanchez was in the prequels, I don't think he could have made them worse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1691 on: January 15, 2014, 09:29:06 AM »
The sad thing is, if Geno was in the prequels, I don't think he could have made them worse.  Or maybe the saddest thing is that even if Sanchez was in the prequels, I don't think he could have made them worse.

Geno-coaster would have made every even number movie good and every odd number movie suck.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1692 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »

Maybe.  I think there are a few ways to look at it. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1693 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

I don't.

But hey, whatever gets you through the night.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1694 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »

I don't.

Doesn't matter.  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1695 on: January 15, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
She died from her heart being broken which is great way to die.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1696 on: January 16, 2014, 04:51:11 AM »
It's not butthurt at all.  It's a criticism of bad writing.  It's his story, he can screw it up however he wants.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1697 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
Ok.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1698 on: January 16, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
I can see how you can look at the way the end of ROTS is shot with Padme and Anakin and not think you're supposed to make the connection that they're both dying, one a literal death and one a metaphorical one.

Be in another room when that scene happens, because it's bloody OBVIOUS that's the intent. Padme has her last breath as Vader takes his first artificially induced one. You're practically being clubbed over the head with it. Is it silly that she dies essentially in childbirth in a society that's conquered FTL travel and communications and has artificial intelligences all over the place? Sure. But it's kind of obvious the conclusion we're meant to draw there. If anything, it's TOO obvious.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1699 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
I can see how you can look at the way the end of ROTS is shot with Padme and Anakin and not think you're supposed to make the connection that they're both dying, one a literal death and one a metaphorical one.

Be in another room when that scene happens, because it's bloody OBVIOUS that's the intent. Padme has her last breath as Vader takes his first artificially induced one. You're practically being clubbed over the head with it. Is it silly that she dies essentially in childbirth in a society that's conquered FTL travel and communications and has artificial intelligences all over the place? Sure. But it's kind of obvious the conclusion we're meant to draw there. If anything, it's TOO obvious.

This would be fine if we actually cared about their relationship.  There's a lot of blunt symbolism in movies that people love because they care about what's happening.  In Episode IV, there's the scene early where Luke is looking at the twin sunset longingly while the hero music plays.  The movie is practically screaming LUKE IS DESTINED FOR GREATER THINGS AND DESPERATELY WANTS TO REALIZE THAT DESTINY.  But it's an iconic scene because you care about him already.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1700 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »

This would be fine if we actually cared about their relationship.  There's a lot of blunt symbolism in movies that people love because they care about what's happening.  In Episode IV, there's the scene early where Luke is looking at the twin sunset longingly while the hero music plays.  The movie is practically screaming LUKE IS DESTINED FOR GREATER THINGS AND DESPERATELY WANTS TO REALIZE THAT DESTINY.  But it's an iconic scene because you care about him already.

This, completely.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1701 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
Nah, he's just checking out a cool double sunset.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1702 on: January 17, 2014, 03:53:01 AM »

I bet he's holding a blunt, we just don't get to see it.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1703 on: January 17, 2014, 05:37:13 AM »
I'm really digging the fact that as soon as someone else agrees with my perception of the film the response is "but it doesn't matter because I don't care".  :lol

I'm not here to change anyone's mind about the quality of the film, but many enjoy it, and believe it or not, the film as a whole, and especially the ending, got a lot of love from film and art critics.  So all that I ask is that we stop acting as though it is objectively poor.  The lowest form of film "criticism" is an attempt to rob someone else of their enjoyment of a movie. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1704 on: January 17, 2014, 06:36:45 AM »
By all means, enjoy it.

And I am certainly not saying that those things aren't juxtaposed in the edit of the film, to tie together the importance of the various things.

But the insistence on a symbiotic relationship, and that there is an actual cause/effect relationship in the fabric of the actual plot of the film. . . I just don't see it.

But me not seeing it should have no impact on your enjoyment of the film.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1705 on: January 17, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
Agreed.  Nor does it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1706 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »

I bet he's holding a blunt, we just don't get to see it.

:omg:

:hat

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1707 on: January 17, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
I'm not here to change anyone's mind about the quality of the film, but many enjoy it, and believe it or not, the film as a whole, and especially the ending, got a lot of love from film and art critics. 

Are you serious? The 'Nooooooooo!' part is panned nearly every place I see it. Lauding the ending to ROTS is like congratulating Lucas for finishing a Highlights connect-the-dots. It really wasn't anything unique, compelling or worthwhile.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1708 on: January 20, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
I'm not here to change anyone's mind about the quality of the film, but many enjoy it, and believe it or not, the film as a whole, and especially the ending, got a lot of love from film and art critics. 

Are you serious? The 'Nooooooooo!' part is panned nearly every place I see it. Lauding the ending to ROTS is like congratulating Lucas for finishing a Highlights connect-the-dots. It really wasn't anything unique, compelling or worthwhile.

Of course I'm serious.  By any critical measure we have access to (film sites), the film got high marks.  And one art critic recently went as far as to say that the final half hour is the greatest single piece of art (not just film) in the past thirty years.  I'm not necessarily saying I agree, but still, the point remains that most of the negativity stems from Internet discussion and things like that, not from professional criticism or even general viewership.   I remember a few years back the forum did a poll rating each of the six films and they all did pretty well - the low point being The Phantom Menace, which hovered around a 6/10 and the high point being Empire which did nearly perfect.  Yet, as the story goes, you would never know that just by reading the posts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1709 on: January 20, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
...but still, the point remains that most of the negativity stems from Internet discussion and things like that, not from professional criticism or even general viewership.

I'm not sure where you get that from, but that does NOT seem to be the case at all.  At best, I think you can say that opinions among both professional critics and general viewership vary wildly.  Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there is a LOT of negativity out there about the prequels.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1710 on: January 20, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
With the anticipation brought about by 16 years of waiting, I think the PT failed miserably. 

The crux of the entire PT was laid out in one 5 minute scene in A New Hope. It's not like there was a whole laundry list of requirements that had to be met:

Anakin was Obi-Wan's student.  He was the best starpilot in the galaxy. He was a cunning warrior and a good friend. He followed Obi Wan on some damn idealistic crusade....

Except for the seduced by the dark side part and the droids belonging to Captain Antillies, there wasn't a whole lot more that needed to be a part of the PT.  Rather than try to develop on these themes throughout the 3 movies, Lucas shoehorned them into ROTS.  Yeah, we saw the pod race...little Anakin can fly, but it came across as forced.  We never needed to see Han Solo smuggling; we could tell he was that way just from Ford's performance....and that is where the PT ultimately failed IMO.

I still have hope for the next trilogy.

And by the way.....the script is officially complete.

Any thoughts or hopes for the title of Episode VII??

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: January 20, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »

A new hope.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1712 on: January 20, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »

A new hope.

An Even More Newer Hope

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: January 20, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

A new hope.

An Even More Newer Hope

A new and improved hope!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1714 on: January 20, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »
Episode VII:None More Black