Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461238 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1400 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
I remember that poster. I also remember Vanity Fair did a spread early on that showed some of the earliest shots of Ewan as Obi-Wan and Maul with his lightsabre and I was just  :omg:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:32:30 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1401 on: February 05, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »
They are an unnecessary middle man.  If they can channel the Force, what's the problem with the individual Jedis channeling the Force, a la the original trilogy?  It's just stupid.

The Jedi DO channel the Force themselves, the midis are just used to communicate and identify.

The Force is the Force, we're essentially just debating about the scale on which it is used, which seems silly to me, but to each his own. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1402 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
My only concern with JJ doing Star Wars and Star Trek is what if he's holding back on one in favour of the other?

Like if a musician goes to make a super-group album with other musicians.  Say they come up with a great idea for a song or whatever but they keep it to themselves to put on their next album.  So what if JJ has a great idea while working on Star Wars but decides to save it for Star Trek, and vice versa?

As awesome as I think JJ is for Star Wars I think it would have better served both franchises to go with someone else.  I'm sure everything will be fine but this is my one of my two major concerns with the other being if George Lucas somehow forces JJ and the rest of the 'new blood' to dumb everything down.

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: February 05, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
That would be my concern if JJ was writing Star Wars, as opposed to just directing it.  We've got a screenwriter so as long as that's good (I'm cautiously optimistic), all JJ can do is put his flair on it, maybe tweak things a tiny bit. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1404 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
Does anyone know how big a role someone writing the treatment plays in the final product? (I'm looking at you, Alex and/or Reap)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1405 on: February 09, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
So...spinoff films.  Original rumors said Yoda, now it looks like Han and Boba will each be getting a film.

This kind of thing works for Marvel, since it's all character-driven comic book stuff, but I don't see how it fits with a plot-driven Star Wars universe.  Han and Boba's importance is only tied into how they can serve what happens in the films.

That said, I can see a Boba film being enjoyable, but I can't see a Han Solo film being anything but an unmitigated disaster.  It would be criminal to recast Solo, but also ridiculous to have Harrison Ford play him again.  And what happens after that, Star Wars origins: Han Solo II?

Maybe continuity is just a thing of the past.  I feel like oversaturation will hurt the franchise overall as well.

It is exciting to have all this Star Wars news though.  At the very worst, I still have the other films and nothing can take my enjoyment of them away, no matter what butthurt fanboys say.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1406 on: February 09, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
Why are you already bitching and complaining about stuff that hasn't even happened yet?  You're stating that the movies will suck and furthermore you're taking shots at "butthurt fanboys" who may not agree with you with the current movies and, presumably by extension, the new ones.

You're preparing to be disappointed 2-3 years before something even comes out and without anything even being confirmed yet and not knowing any details at all.

So basically there's no chance at all you're going to like anything that comes out cuz you're already telling yourself that they will suck and then you'll feel justified that, if you bother to see them at all, if anything goes not to your liking you can pat yourself on the back and come back here and squawk "I told you so!".

Whatever happened to actually waiting to see or hear something first before passing judgment and giving things the benefit of the doubt before trashing them?

FFS
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:27:46 PM by PetFish »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1407 on: February 09, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
You're new to the internet, aren't you, PetFish?  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1408 on: February 09, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
Whatever happened to actually waiting to see or hear something first before passing judgment and giving things the benefit of the doubt before trashing them?
I've never heard of such a thing! It must be a new phenomenon!  :omg:

but seriously...chill for a sec.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1409 on: February 09, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
A Boba Fett movie could work, but I don't want a young Han Solo movie.

1. Harrison Ford IS Han.
2. I'd like to move away from that time period and focus on stuff hundreds or thousands of years before the prequels or 30+ years after the OT.
3. I know most people don't care, but I liked a lot of Han's origin story in the EU, and the odds of that being steamrolled by a movie are around 99%.
4. There's really no point in showing Han's past on screen anyway IMO.
5. Both spin-offs reek of overkill. I wish they'd focus on new characters for eventual spin-offs. Also, don't rush out 5 or 6 movies in 5 or 6 years.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1410 on: February 09, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
Why are you already bitching and complaining about stuff that hasn't even happened yet?  You're stating that the movies will suck and furthermore you're taking shots at "butthurt fanboys" who may not agree with you with the current movies and, presumably by extension, the new ones.

You're preparing to be disappointed 2-3 years before something even comes out and without anything even being confirmed yet and not knowing any details at all.

So basically there's no chance at all you're going to like anything that comes out cuz you're already telling yourself that they will suck and then you'll feel justified that, if you bother to see them at all, if anything goes not to your liking you can pat yourself on the back and come back here and squawk "I told you so!".

FFS

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down.  First of all, you are making a lot of assumptions leading to things I never said.  In fact, I think that is the entire post.

Secondly, I think we are mostly on the same page.  I'm willing to give it a shot, if anything I think most people on here view me as a Star Wars apologist, I just don't like the news/rumors.  My "butthurt fanboy" comment was more about people who act as if something was taken away from them.

A Boba Fett movie could work, but I don't want a young Han Solo movie.

1. Harrison Ford IS Han.
2. I'd like to move away from that time period and focus on stuff hundreds or thousands of years before the prequels or 30+ years after the OT.
3. I know most people don't care, but I liked a lot of Han's origin story in the EU, and the odds of that being steamrolled by a movie are around 99%.
4. There's really no point in showing Han's past on screen anyway IMO.
5. Both spin-offs reek of overkill. I wish they'd focus on new characters for eventual spin-offs. Also, don't rush out 5 or 6 movies in 5 or 6 years.

I definitely agree with 1,4 and 5.  I mostly agree with 2 as well, just because I'm tired of new stuff in that time period conflicting with continuity/films.  The Force Unleashed stories are far too guilty of this, so is the Clone War cartoon a good chunk of the time.  I would rather see stuff in other time periods, like KOTOR time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
I am by no means arguing for a Han Solo-based movie in which someone else was cast as Han. Because I don't want it. But in terms of Harrison Ford being Han... Marlon Brando was Vito Corleone, one of the most iconic figures in the history of film, and DeNiro did a pretty good job of playing a young Vito. Of course it is an exception that it worked so well, but it is possible.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1412 on: February 09, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, zepp.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to what's coming up now that Lucas himself is (hopefully) out of the picture and doesn't take his consulting duties as a means to get what he wants.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1413 on: February 09, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
I know I'll be a minority here, but I have little interest in SW without Lucas.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: February 10, 2013, 01:15:38 AM »
Pretty cool poster from E1:

I always liked that one.  It was one of the first promotional things I remember seeing from Episode 1.

It's a good poster as it's simple and tells you everything you need to know.

I hate the whole collage type thing with scenes from the whole movie depicted in it. It's just cluttered.

I wonder which way they'll go for the new ones.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1415 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:01 AM »
It's a good poster as it's simple and tells you everything you need to know.

It really does. I think from now on when I want to revisit the whole saga I will just look at this poster for a couple of minutes and move on to EP II.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1416 on: February 10, 2013, 02:30:03 AM »
I am by no means arguing for a Han Solo-based movie in which someone else was cast as Han. Because I don't want it. But in terms of Harrison Ford being Han... Marlon Brando was Vito Corleone, one of the most iconic figures in the history of film, and DeNiro did a pretty good job of playing a young Vito. Of course it is an exception that it worked so well, but it is possible.

That's what I was thinking.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1417 on: February 10, 2013, 04:17:26 AM »
So...spinoff films.  Original rumors said Yoda, now it looks like Han and Boba will each be getting a film.

This kind of thing works for Marvel, since it's all character-driven comic book stuff, but I don't see how it fits with a plot-driven Star Wars universe.  Han and Boba's importance is only tied into how they can serve what happens in the films.

That said, I can see a Boba film being enjoyable, but I can't see a Han Solo film being anything but an unmitigated disaster.  It would be criminal to recast Solo, but also ridiculous to have Harrison Ford play him again.  And what happens after that, Star Wars origins: Han Solo II?

Maybe continuity is just a thing of the past.  I feel like oversaturation will hurt the franchise overall as well.

It is exciting to have all this Star Wars news though.  At the very worst, I still have the other films and nothing can take my enjoyment of them away, no matter what butthurt fanboys say.

I agree. I've heard so many rumours about potential side-movies that I worry they could reach the oversaturation that helped kill Trek (along with getting stale).
I don't think they should do a Han Solo movie, because I think it's Harrison Ford's part, and I don't it would work with him now.
I don't know what they'd do with Yoda that would be very interesting. I don't see that sustaining a movie.

I think Boba Fett is their best bet for standalone movies. He doesn't need to be seen without the helmet, so casting won't be a big issue, and he's a badass bounty hunter. Plenty of room for ideas there without getting in the way of anything else.

And I really feel like they should get a full sequel trilogy out of the way before starting with standalone movies, but that's just me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1418 on: February 10, 2013, 04:44:34 AM »
I have little interest in more Star Wars WITH Lucas.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: February 10, 2013, 05:58:01 AM »
So who could play a young Han ?

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1420 on: February 10, 2013, 08:48:23 AM »

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1421 on: February 10, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »
Anybody have cool ideas for spin-offs?

A bunch of people on a Star Wars board want an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan. What would he do between ROTS and ANH besides sit around and practice his Krayt Dragon calls to annoy Sandpeople? I'd rather have an Obi-Wan movie than a Han one, though.

We need a movie about Salacious Crumb's childhood.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1422 on: February 10, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
I would pay to see a feature length movie about Dengar as long as he's portrayed exactly how he is on Robot Chicken.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1423 on: February 10, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »

Zepp....you realize the irony of that particular pic/quote?

It's freaking hilarious!  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1424 on: February 10, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
Of course I do  ;)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1425 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
Obiwan movie would be awesome cuz Ewan rocks.

Yoda would be great cuz it's, you know, Yoda.

Boba Fett would also be great cuz they could even get Temura Morrison to do it.

Han Solo would NOT be great unless they could really find a killer actor for the part, however, it WOULD be great if they did it with Lando as well cuz they have such a history together.  Maybe even a Boba/Han/Lando movie.

Out-of-the-box... R2-D2.  An origins story would be great cuz when we meet him he's just a repair droid but who knows what he's been doing up to that point.  We know where C-3PO comes from but not R2.  He could even have been around since The Old Republic (I'd love to see that in the game, by the way).  He could have done stuff with Yoda as well and when they "meet" on Dagobah R2 already knows him but keeps quiet cuz he rocks.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1426 on: February 10, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
I'd never complain about more Artoo, since he's one of my fave characters.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1427 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
So who could play a young Han ?
Not young but this photo hit me like a rock:

Could it be possible? :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1428 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
Malcolm Reynolds' character owes at least a little bit to Han Solo, no doubt.  I think Mal kills someone in cold blood in each of the few two or three episodes, just to let you know he doesn't take any shit and doesn't care to deal with it, either.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1429 on: February 11, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
I know you're just brainstorming, but having a guy who will soon be 42 playing young Han? Harrison Ford was 33-34 when they filmed the first Star Wars. :P
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1430 on: February 11, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »
I know you're just brainstorming, but having a guy who will soon be 42 playing young Han? Harrison Ford was 33-34 when they filmed the first Star Wars. :P
Haha yea i know, i just love that photo! For some reason he feels so right as Han Solo even though it will never happen.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1431 on: February 11, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »
That photo(shop) works because Firefly was 10 years ago, so Nathan Fillion was then about the same age as Harrison Ford was when he played Han Solo.

No real point, I guess, I'm just sayin'.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1432 on: February 15, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
OK! You better prepare your anus before you read this:

ZOMG!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: February 15, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Well that will provide less incentive for them to come up with a unique and engaging story.

And I highly doubt these deals are “done.” It may be done in principle, but there is no way contracts like this one would be signed this far in advance. He only signed on for another Indiana Jones once everyone could agree on a solid script. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: February 15, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »
Han So Old