Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461336 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1190 on: May 17, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
I think the prequel trilogy is the worst Star Wars movie. I honestly have a difficult time choosing the true cream of the crap.

From my point of view it is the original trilogy that is terrible!

The prequels are like the opposite of sand.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1191 on: May 17, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
You know who rules? Jabba. Such a cool character.

+1
Jabba is a pimp.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1192 on: May 18, 2012, 01:36:18 AM »
AOTC is easily the worst Star Wars movie.

TPM is much worse. I can't even sit through that movie, that kid is so painful to watch. AOTC is bad, but it has redeeming hliarity, plus some better fights.
AOTC is so bad that it's almost good, whereas TPM is so bad that I just have to leave. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #1193 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:44 AM »

TPM is much worse. I can't even sit through that movie, that kid is so painful to watch. AOTC is bad, but it has redeeming hliarity, plus some better fights.
AOTC is so bad that it's almost good, whereas TPM is so bad that I just have to leave. :lol

Better fights? The 3 way fight (while illogical in every way) was way cooler than anything I can remember from ATOC.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: May 18, 2012, 01:42:09 AM »

Better fights? The 3 way fight (while illogical in every way) was way cooler than anything I can remember from ATOC.

I didn't think much of the 3 way fight. Kind of just dancing around. The Yoda one was silly, but at least it was entertaining, and there are the clone war scenes. TPM had a kid flying around in a spaceship making stupid calls like "OOPS!" and accidentally saving the day. Vomit.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1195 on: May 19, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
Yeah, it's sad when TPM gets kind of a pass when only 15 minutes of it aren't completely awful.  That fight scene is cool, but it's not enough to save the turgid dog dump that is the rest of that movie.

Unlike most other SW fans, I don't hate all of AotC.  It's watchably bad.  Even the romance scenes, which drag, are at least occasionally amusing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1196 on: May 19, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
So are we all in agreement that the Prequel Trilogy is not canon?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1197 on: May 19, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
So are we all in agreement that the Prequel Trilogy is not canon?

Bravo sir :clap:

I already removed all the prequel films from my dvd collection and gave them to my cousin.

Online Adami

« Reply #1198 on: May 19, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
What prequels?

Also George should get credit for inventing a new numbering system where the first number is 4............and there are no numbers before it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1199 on: May 19, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

No way. I'm not a huge fan of TPM, but atleast it had Darth Maul, the duel, and the Podrace. AOTC was filled with horrible love scenes, Hayden Christensen, and that horrible anti-climatic lightsaber duel. I think the Yoda dueling scene was even worse than Jar Jar. It was the fakest, dumbest looking shit I have ever seen. Even the battle of Genosis wasn't that interesting to watch.

*falls out of the ship*
"Are you alright-""UH HUH"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1200 on: May 19, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »

No way. I'm not a huge fan of TPM, but atleast it had Darth Maul, the duel, and the Podrace. AOTC was filled with horrible love scenes, Hayden Christensen, and that horrible anti-climatic lightsaber duel. I think the Yoda dueling scene was even worse than Jar Jar. It was the fakest, dumbest looking shit I have ever seen. Even the battle of Genosis wasn't that interesting to watch.

*falls out of the ship*
"Are you alright-""UH HUH"

I pretty much agree with this completely. I don't really like TPM that much, but at least I can sit through it from beginning to end and get some enjoyment from it here and there as I watch it.

ATOTC on the other hand, I am unable to sit through the whole movie. I just get bored and turn it off. And the lightsaber fight at the end, which is supposed to be the big payoff, ended up being such a dud.

ROTS I actually 75% enjoy, besides NOOOO and Younglings 

Online Adami

« Reply #1201 on: May 19, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
ROTS is ruined by the last 3rd of the movie. As soon as he gets called Darth Vader the movie sucks. Everything before that isn't bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1202 on: May 19, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
ROTS is ruined by the last 3rd of the movie. As soon as he gets called Darth Vader the movie sucks. Everything before that isn't bad.

They really botched that transformation. I was hoping it would be subtle and tasteful, but it was like Palpatine just flipped a switch and Anakin goes from wanting to arrest Palpatine to killing children for him, all in the progression of 60 seconds.

Online Adami

« Reply #1203 on: May 19, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »

They really botched that transformation. I was hoping it would be subtle and tasteful, but it was like Palpatine just flipped a switch and Anakin goes from wanting to arrest Palpatine to killing children for him, all in the progression of 60 seconds.

Well it was even worse then that. Anakin wanted to save Padme so much (from a nightmare keep in mind) that he felt it was fine to murder dozens of children, all of the Jedi and even wearing red contact lenses. Then as soon as she disagrees with him about something he kills her.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1204 on: May 19, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
The last part of ROTS was cool when I saw it at the midnight showing (hey, btw, that come out SEVEN years ago today!), but it certainly hasn't aged well. Parts of it, atleast. The "Nooooo" scene is shameful, some the script was very weak, and Anakin's transformation was done very poorly. Still, mostly a very solid film, miles ahead of TPM and AOTC. I love the ending sequence where the children are separated, kind of brought the films full circle (and I will admit, I teared up the first time I saw it in theaters).

Online Adami

« Reply #1205 on: May 19, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
The last part of ROTS was cool when I saw it at the midnight showing (hey, btw, that come out SEVEN years ago today!), but it certainly hasn't aged well. Parts of it, atleast. The "Nooooo" scene is shameful, some the script was very weak, and Anakin's transformation was done very poorly. Still, mostly a very solid film, miles ahead of TPM and AOTC. I love the ending sequence where the children are separated, kind of brought the films full circle (and I will admit, I teared up the first time I saw it in theaters).

It was sad, when Padme died of a broken heart. Pure emotion right there. Yup. Pure emotion.

Christ what a horrible script.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1206 on: May 19, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
I also saw it at midnight, in costume too  :facepalm:

And in the moment, it all seemed so cool and I got wrapped up in it, but as time has gone by I noticed more and more flaws.
One thing I will say is that, even though I was caught up in midnight madness, I still cringed during NOOOOOOOOOO

Online Adami

« Reply #1207 on: May 19, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
Star Wars actually changed the way I see movies. When I saw AOTC in theaters, I thought it was amazing.

The last movie I saw in theaters was The Avengers, now I'm worried that if I see it again....I will realize it was terrible, much like AOTC. Oh Xenu I hope I'm wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: May 20, 2012, 02:10:43 AM »

Pretty much this, although the first half of the movie did nothing for me either.
The whole movie just felt like going through the motions to get from point C back to point A as best they could at that point. Having seen the OT (plus what was so obviously set up in E1 and E2), ROTS just felt very predictable, and just exposition for the sake of tying off the story, rather than telling its own story.
Everything in ROTS either felt redundant or pointless, because it was the middle of the whole story, and not the end.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1209 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »
Don't know if this has come up before, but I just read an short article saying that David Prowse has never seen any residuals from RotJ because apparently the movie has never turned a profit.  I'm not dumping this entirely on Star Wars, since this is just one common element of an insanely stupid business model, but it is exactly why I'd like to see that entire system collapse.  Time to steal more movies from torrent sites.

Quote from: Lord Vader
“I get these occasional letters from Lucasfilm saying that we regret to inform you that as Return of the Jedi has never gone into profit, we’ve got nothing to send you. Now here we’re talking about one of the biggest releases of all time,” said Prowse. “I don’t want to look like I’m bitching about it,” he said, “but on the other hand, if there’s a pot of gold somewhere that I ought to be having a share of, I would like to see it.”
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: June 01, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »
How could anyone expect to get away with sending a letter like that about STAR WARS? WTF?

If this is true, it's got to be one of the ballsiest lies ever.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1211 on: June 01, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
Sorry, I meant to link to the whole article which gives a brief explanation.  It's all about bullshit accounting practices.  Same sort of thing the music industry was doing to people for the last 60 years.  He's no different than all of those Motown cats that died penniless.

Last year, we wrote about Hollywood accounting and how the big studios set up "corporations" for each movie, specifically designed to "lose money," often by paying money back to the studio itself. Basically, the studio sets up this "company," but then charges the company a huge "fee," such that the company itself rarely, if ever, becomes profitable. Of course, hugely successful films usually still get past the threshold, but perhaps not all of them. Hugues Lamy points us to the news that the actor who played Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi is saying that Lucasfilm still isn't paying residuals, claiming that the film is still not profitable:

This is why I've never had any qualms about stealing movies and music.  Fuck those people.  (I do usually pay for games, BTW). 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1212 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
I thought this was somewhat interesting.  As some people are aware, George Lucas has changed a few things in his Star Wars movies over the years.  His buddy Steven Spielberg did something similar with his movie "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial".

There's a scene in "E.T." where federal agents armed with rifles are hassling Elliott and his friends on their bikes.  When the movie was re-released in 2002, Spielberg added a few deleted scenes back in, and had digitally changed the rifles to walkie-talkies.

He has since stated that he regrets doing that, and when "E.T." comes out on Blu-ray later this year, the original theatrical version will be intact, complete with rifles, and the deleted scenes will be in the extras.  Link

"I was disappointed in myself... I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T."

One scene, one somewhat minor thing that a lot of people didn't even notice.

Hmm... I wonder if Spielberg and Lucas still chat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1213 on: June 01, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
I thought this was somewhat interesting.  As some people are aware, George Lucas has changed a few things in his Star Wars movies over the years.  His buddy Steven Spielberg did something similar with his movie "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial".

There's a scene in "E.T." where federal agents armed with rifles are hassling Elliott and his friends on their bikes.  When the movie was re-released in 2002, Spielberg added a few deleted scenes back in, and had digitally changed the rifles to walkie-talkies.

He has since stated that he regrets doing that, and when "E.T." comes out on Blu-ray later this year, the original theatrical version will be intact, complete with rifles, and the deleted scenes will be in the extras.  Link

"I was disappointed in myself... I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T."

And that is why I respect Spielberg.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1214 on: June 01, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »
It won't happen until he's dead, but he'll eventually be regarded as America's best filmmaker. 
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1215 on: June 02, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
It still blows me away that the man filmed and released Jurassic Park and Schindler's List around the same time.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1216 on: June 02, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
I'm really curious how much different ROTJ would been if Spielberg would have been able to direct it, as GL originally intended.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1217 on: June 03, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
Yeah, it's sad when TPM gets kind of a pass when only 15 minutes of it aren't completely awful.  That fight scene is cool, but it's not enough to save the turgid dog dump that is the rest of that movie.

Holy shit.  We must have lived on different planets the last 13 years.  I'm not even sure where to begin on that one, it's likely the most bashed film in the history of film.  Whether it is deserving of that or not is beside the point.

Well it was even worse then that. Anakin wanted to save Padme so much (from a nightmare keep in mind) that he felt it was fine to murder dozens of children, all of the Jedi and even wearing red contact lenses. Then as soon as she disagrees with him about something he kills her.

A nightmare that was real.  That's the important thing.  More importantly, a nightmare he MADE real by trying to prevent it.  It's very much like Greek mythology.  The dark side is like a drug, and Anakin believed that he could accomplish something good by doing evil things, which is impossible.  It consumes you to the point to where it becomes more important to you than your original intention.  Also, sith eyes are yellow, not red.

Sorry, I meant to link to the whole article which gives a brief explanation.  It's all about bullshit accounting practices.  Same sort of thing the music industry was doing to people for the last 60 years.  He's no different than all of those Motown cats that died penniless.

Last year, we wrote about Hollywood accounting and how the big studios set up "corporations" for each movie, specifically designed to "lose money," often by paying money back to the studio itself. Basically, the studio sets up this "company," but then charges the company a huge "fee," such that the company itself rarely, if ever, becomes profitable. Of course, hugely successful films usually still get past the threshold, but perhaps not all of them. Hugues Lamy points us to the news that the actor who played Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi is saying that Lucasfilm still isn't paying residuals, claiming that the film is still not profitable:

This is why I've never had any qualms about stealing movies and music.  Fuck those people.  (I do usually pay for games, BTW). 

I'm gonna try to make my point without getting on a high horse, but you're doing more damage than you think.   People can hate "the man" all they want, but piracy isn't just about the fat cats.  Who it really hurts is people like me.  I'll leave it at that.

And that is why I respect Spielberg.

And that is why I lost what respect I did have for him.  It sure is easy to bend over to fan service and go back on what he obviously believed to be a better artistic choice in the past as long as people will cheer afterward. 

Funny how it's all the people griping about preserving cinematic history that get happy about this kind of news.  But now it's cool to pretend like the special editions never happened because they're still getting the version they wanted.  Like it or not, those versions happened, and they are also part of cinematic history.  The notions of preserving cinematic history have always sounded noble, but it has always been more about the notion of collective ownership over a franchise, and fan service is not art.

I'm really curious how much different ROTJ would been if Spielberg would have been able to direct it, as GL originally intended.

Or his original first choice, David Lynch.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1218 on: June 03, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
By the way, Spielberg re-cut Close Encounters at least twice, and one of the results is solidly in my top five films ever.  If Lucas were making the movies better, then I'd be commending him.  He's not.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1219 on: June 03, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
Funny how it's all the people griping about preserving cinematic history that get happy about this kind of news.  But now it's cool to pretend like the special editions never happened because they're still getting the version they wanted.  Like it or not, those versions happened, and they are also part of cinematic history.  The notions of preserving cinematic history have always sounded noble, but it has always been more about the notion of collective ownership over a franchise, and fan service is not art.

The gripe has never been that Lucas changed his movies, it's that he changed them and then made the new versions the only ones available.  People liked the original versions; they are part of film history.  People who like the new versions can be free to buy the new ones; I have no problem with that.  I'd just like the choice of being able to purchase a copy of the movie I remember from my childhood and watch it in HD.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: June 03, 2012, 11:20:02 PM »

The gripe has never been that Lucas changed his movies, it's that he changed them and then made the new versions the only ones available.  People liked the original versions; they are part of film history.  People who like the new versions can be free to buy the new ones; I have no problem with that.  I'd just like the choice of being able to purchase a copy of the movie I remember from my childhood and watch it in HD.

It seems everyone has the same sentiment that Lucas is free to mess with the movies as much as he wants, as long as people can also have the originals released in the same quality. I don't know why that's so hard to understand, even if he only considers his modified versions to be the definitive versions now.
Even though it's a big undertaking to try and restore the original movies, it also means he gets to double dip with both versions. He's probably afraid that the sales of the original versions will reveal the hard truth about what people think about everything he's done to the movies in the past 15 years. :lol

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1221 on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »

Bingo?

That was my point, Spielberg made it so that the special edition won't be available anymore.  Yet for all of those complaining that such changes raped their childhood memories, they have no problem with Spielberg saying "sorry, kids who grew up with the new version or anyone that happened to enjoy it, your memories don't fucking count".  It's something he did because he is a coward and didn't want anymore backlash.  He proved that his desire to be liked is more important, and I just can't respect a man who doesn't have the sack to stand up for his own work. 

And the original Star Wars cuts are available on DVD.  They're not available in HD (yet), but are preserved in the National Film Registry forever, they'll never die.

By the way, Spielberg re-cut Close Encounters at least twice, and one of the results is solidly in my top five films ever.  If Lucas were making the movies better, then I'd be commending him.  He's not.

This is clearly a matter of opinion, and beside the point.  I have always held your opinion in high regard, however.

It seems everyone has the same sentiment that Lucas is free to mess with the movies as much as he wants, as long as people can also have the originals released in the same quality. I don't know why that's so hard to understand, even if he only considers his modified versions to be the definitive versions now.

The recent uprising of folks praising Spielberg for killing off his special edition of ET prove that this isn't necessarily true.  People want to win.  They want to be right and Lucas to be wrong.  It all ties back to the idea of collective ownership.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1222 on: June 03, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
Merely pointing out that I, personally, don't care if he re-edits the movies as much as he wants.  I think he ruined them, and I won't support his endeavors.  Like everybody else, I'd appreciate if he left the originals available somewhere (which I would actually support). 

I suppose the crux of the matter is the philosophical question of the purpose of art.  Is it to move the artist, or the people who judge his work?  I'd consider that personal decision, and won't fault somebody for deciding to please himself.  I will judge his decisions and his work, though, and part of that will be with my wallet. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »

The recent uprising of folks praising Spielberg for killing off his special edition of ET prove that this isn't necessarily true.  People want to win.  They want to be right and Lucas to be wrong.  It all ties back to the idea of collective ownership.

There is no right/wrong in the creative realm. This is just petty.
Most opinions I see on the matter express that they just want a good copy of the original movies in HD. They are Lucas' movies, not the public's, and he has the right to do whatever he wants to them. Even if it makes them totally shit.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1224 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:26 AM »

That was my point, Spielberg made it so that the special edition won't be available anymore.  Yet for all of those complaining that such changes raped their childhood memories, they have no problem with Spielberg saying "sorry, kids who grew up with the new version or anyone that happened to enjoy it, your memories don't fucking count".  It's something he did because he is a coward and didn't want anymore backlash.  He proved that his desire to be liked is more important, and I just can't respect a man who doesn't have the sack to stand up for his own work. 

I realize that it's just a matter of degree, but are you actually saying that that one edit in "E.T." (changing the rifles to walkie-talkies) is the same as the hundreds of edits to dozens of scenes that Lucas has made to the Star Wars movies, sometimes changing the entire meanings of scenes and/or characters?