Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 463901 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #945 on: October 27, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
He was surprised in ROTS.  That was before ANH.  It was Lucas' way of explaining (poorly) how something worked in the original trilogy.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #946 on: October 27, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Obi-Wan has learned how to become a "Force ghost" -- basically enabling him to ascend to another plane.  He has successfully distracted Darth Vader long enough to allow Luke and the others to escape (well almost, he probably could have given them just a few more minutes), and knows that he'll be more useful to Luke as something of a spiritual advisor than anything he can do in the physical world.  There's a short exchange toward the end of Episode III where Yoda tells Obi-Wan that he's been in contact with Qui-Gon, who has learned how to do it.  The implication is that Yoda and Obi-Wan eventually also learn it.

Admittedly, the destruction of Alderaan is strangely without repercussions.  Leia doesn't even seem to think about past the next scene.

Who else can do it? Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin... are they the only ones or was it something more common? And didn't Obi-Wan seem surprised when he found out in ROTS? (It's been awhile since I've watched it)

Yeah he did.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
I'm certain George Lucas will just keep re-releasing the franchise in every new medium that comes along until you have a 360 degree fully immersive pod which you step into and interact with the movie characters in real time and all around you.

Or something.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: October 28, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »
Obi-Wan has learned how to become a "Force ghost" -- basically enabling him to ascend to another plane.  He has successfully distracted Darth Vader long enough to allow Luke and the others to escape (well almost, he probably could have given them just a few more minutes), and knows that he'll be more useful to Luke as something of a spiritual advisor than anything he can do in the physical world. 

Yeah, cause there's no way a living Obi-Wan could do stuff like tell Luke to use the force, or send him to the Dagobah system.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #949 on: October 28, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »
I'm not saying I agree with his choice.  I'm just explaining what he did and why, as I understand it.  A lot of people watch that scene and wonder what the hell Obi-Wan was thinking.

I thought it was pretty obvious.  He looks right at Luke, he smiles just a bit, switches off his light saber, and lets Vader take him out.  But there's no body.  Next scene, you hear his disembodied voice.  Kinda creepy, actually.  But Obi-Wan probably figured he couldn't take Vader in a fight, so he might as well use the time he had the best he could.  If he'd won, Vader would be dead and we'd have no story, so obviously he wasn't going to win.  If he'd somehow gotten out of there, he still would've been a liability to their cause.  Another person on board, another person to get from Point A to Point B, and he really didn't seem that interested in the rebellion in the first place.  He seemed little more than curious about R2D2, and decided to help Luke and the others, but he'd done pretty much all he could do.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #950 on: October 28, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
I'm not saying I agree with his choice.  I'm just explaining what he did and why, as I understand it.  A lot of people watch that scene and wonder what the hell Obi-Wan was thinking.

I thought it was pretty obvious.  He looks right at Luke, he smiles just a bit, switches off his light saber, and lets Vader take him out.  But there's no body.  Next scene, you hear his disembodied voice.  Kinda creepy, actually.  But Obi-Wan probably figured he couldn't take Vader in a fight, so he might as well use the time he had the best he could.  If he'd won, Vader would be dead and we'd have no story, so obviously he wasn't going to win.  If he'd somehow gotten out of there, he still would've been a liability to their cause.  Another person on board, another person to get from Point A to Point B, and he really didn't seem that interested in the rebellion in the first place.  He seemed little more than curious about R2D2, and decided to help Luke and the others, but he'd done pretty much all he could do.

This doesn't happen  ;D

Okay, nitpicking aside now.  Originally, Obi-Wan was set to live up until the point where Yoda dies, and there would be no Yoda at all.  But during production, Lucas realized it wasn't very noble or fitting of Obi-Wan to just sit back and watch the pilots attack the Death Star while doing nothing on his own to help.  So, Ben had to die.  Sir Alec was not happy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #951 on: October 28, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
Well, and he was probably also thinking something along the lines of, "If I'm a spirit, it's that much easier to go back to that cave world and hunt down and kill that stupid giant lizard and its offspring for throwing me off its back and falling a couple hundred feet all those years ago.  Mmm...  BBQ giant  lizard..."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #952 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »

This doesn't happen  ;D

Seriously?  I haven't seen it in a while, but I was sure he did.

Dammit.  I just watched the scene again, and he doesn't.  He just holds it in front of him, obviously not fighting anymore, but he doesn't switch it off.  Someone's been playing Jedi mind tricks with my memory.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:03:53 PM by Orbert »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #953 on: October 28, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
Yeah, he just lowers his guard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #954 on: October 28, 2011, 02:23:44 PM »
But it's off when it drops to the floor, along with the empty robe.  WTF?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #955 on: October 28, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
Too dangerous to have an ignited light saber just fall to the floor unattended.  Next thing you know, some stormtrooper who isn't pay attention comes along and trips over it...  Obi Wan would not be so careless.  Especially since the empire has no shortage of sleazy personal injury lawyers in over 800 systems.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #956 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
I think that's why, in my (faulty) memory, he switched it off before Vader took him out.  It drops to the floor switched off, and he didn't switch it off after he was taken out.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #957 on: October 28, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
As far as I remember, lightsabers generally automatically switched off when their bearer died. Don't know how it works, but if I recall correctly it was always the same in the films, and also e.g. in the Jedi Knight game series.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #958 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »
Heh heh, a dead man's switch.  Actually that makes sense, even if they don't explain how it works.  A live light saber hitting the ground and rolling around could cause some serious damage.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #959 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
Yeah, light sabers were designed to switch off automatically, unless of course it's a red one and you're throwing it at Luke.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #960 on: October 29, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
anyone have blu rays for the first 3? how are they?

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: October 29, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »
anyone have blu rays for the first 3? how are they?

Which "first three"?  I've only watched Episode I and Episode IV on my Blu-Ray set, and they're both awesome.  The sound and picture quality is remarkable.  More so for Episode I since it's newer but Episode IV is still fantastic.  The CG Jabba in Episode IV looks REALLY bad, but it always did.  I tend to shut my mind off to those added scenes anyways.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #962 on: October 29, 2011, 01:39:59 AM »
I meant the original three films. Was wondering about the transfer.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #963 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:22 AM »
I meant the original three films. Was wondering about the transfer.

They look amazing man. Just great.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Blu-ray/14903/#Review

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #964 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
Here's one of my latest video, the "Asteroid Field" section from Empire Strikes Back, where I play the entire soundtrack...on the french horn ;)

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rpFZAH9A1Y

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #965 on: November 28, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
Here's one of my latest video, the "Asteroid Field" section from Empire Strikes Back, where I play the entire soundtrack...on the french horn ;)

:tup

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

Amazing job! That is one of my favorite Star Wars songs. And your playing was spectacular!

And of course your John Williams tribute is amazing as well.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:04:24 PM by Implode »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #967 on: December 05, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #968 on: December 17, 2011, 03:15:51 PM »
Is Leia a strong character? Interesting discussion I was just getting in with a friend of mine today. I'm personally of the belief that she starts out being pretty superficially strong at best, and then is made weaker over each successive movie, proving that physical strength or "attitude" doesn't translate into real depth.

Offline ehra

« Reply #969 on: December 17, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
There's a pretty good After Hours video on that topic:

https://www.cracked.com/video_18249_why-star-wars-secretly-terrifying-women.html

edit: Probably NSFW

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #970 on: December 18, 2011, 06:45:56 AM »
Nice find. :tup

BTW folks, in the ever-continuing battle between Originals and Prequels, whose soundtracks did you like more? I'm actually kinda conflicted myself, because the Originals are great because of the Errol Flynn they give to those movies, but I love the iconic pieces of the Prequels as isolated pieces of music. I think they're absolutely brilliant...even if they are cheap ripoffs.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #971 on: December 18, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
There's a battle between the originals and the prequels?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #972 on: December 18, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
People who like the Prequels more vs. the Originals, idk. You see it all the time in forum threads and YouTube comment wars.

Kosmo

« Reply #973 on: December 18, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »
YouTube comment
Yeah, I wouldn't read those.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #974 on: December 18, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »
:p

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #975 on: December 18, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
The prequel music is pretty damn good and cool.  But the original is simply iconic/epic/legendary.  Nothing can top it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ehra

« Reply #976 on: December 18, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
The only bit of music from the prequels that I remember is the bit where the choir is being all dramatic while the trumpets (I think?) are like "do do doodloodoo do do dooloodoo do do dooloodoo do do dooloodoo" really fast. The originals, on the other hand, are full of memorable themes.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #977 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
Yeah, yet again the OT beats the PT. The prequels had some good stuff musically, especially TPM, but I feel like there was a lot of reusing of cues. Isn't the music from the part in TPM where they board the Queen's ship on Naboo and break through the blockade (THAT LITTLE DROID DID IT DURRR) reused later during the end of the pod race, and then used again in AOTC and ROTS?
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #978 on: December 18, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
To be fair, I'm sure a lot of the reuse of musical cues was intentional.  I haven't actually analyzed it all, or even watched the PT more than once, but it would make perfect sense to hear the same music during some scenes on Tatooine as in the OT, or hear the Imperial March when you first see Darth Vader or even Palpatine once you realize who he's gonna turn out to be.  That kind of thing.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #979 on: December 18, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
Yes, but the scenes reuse the exact same recording of the music, which just seems lazy.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!