Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461303 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #910 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #911 on: October 06, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Here's the thing though - in the originals, the acting was, for the most part, pretty damn good.  The actors may complain, but they did a GREAT job.  Alec Guinness, Ford, Fisher, Jones, even Hamill was great (in his role).  But in the prequels, everyone except McDiarmid was horrible.  Was it the blue screens, as Ewan attested to?  Maybe.

I should mention though that the scene where he tells the Darth Plagueis story, even though it kinda doesn't make sense on a number of levels, is one of the best scenes in Star Wars, purely because of McDiarmid's acting.

----------------

*95% true.

Agreed.  That scene makes the entire movie watchable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #912 on: October 06, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »
Mine too.  I believe someone in this thread mentioned that that same director publicly stated that George does not make films, he makes movies.  I think his work on ESB shows that.

The difference between a film and a movie is...?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #913 on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
Here's the thing though - in the originals, the acting was, for the most part, pretty damn good.  The actors may complain, but they did a GREAT job.  Alec Guinness, Ford, Fisher, Jones, even Hamill was great (in his role).  But in the prequels, everyone except McDiarmid was horrible.  Was it the blue screens, as Ewan attested to?  Maybe.

I should mention though that the scene where he tells the Darth Plagueis story, even though it kinda doesn't make sense on a number of levels, is one of the best scenes in Star Wars, purely because of McDiarmid's acting.

----------------

*95% true.

Agreed.  That scene makes the entire movie watchable.
I honestly thought Ewan McGregor did a great job.  They gave him a couple of awful lines nobody could salvage, but scenes with him were typically bright spots.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #914 on: October 06, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
Mine too.  I believe someone in this thread mentioned that that same director publicly stated that George does not make films, he makes movies.  I think his work on ESB shows that.

I just meant in the sense of a film for its artistic value or a movie for its commercial value.  Those weren't his actual words, I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember exactly how he phrased it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #915 on: October 06, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »
I honestly thought Ewan McGregor did a great job.  They gave him a couple of awful lines nobody could salvage, but scenes with him were typically bright spots.

I thought he was legitimately good in ROTS.  He was able to carry the character with more of a sense of humor (remember, Obi-Wan in the OT generally had a sense of humor about him), and the drama didn't feel overwrought.  Tom Stoppard was able to help him out some.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #916 on: October 06, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »

I just meant in the sense of a film for its artistic value or a movie for its commercial value.  Those weren't his actual words, I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember exactly how he phrased it.

Got it.  Different connotations.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: October 06, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
For all the Star Wars geeks that take geekiness to a higher level, Pottery Barn Kids has a sale on their Star Wars flannel sheet sets.

Twin $47
Full $71
Queen $87

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #918 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
As expected, they're bringing Darth Maul back from the dead for The Clone Wars. lol. Now his death in TPM has no real meaning or impact. Anything to sell more toys and increase ratings. They can't think of interesting new characters, so they regurgitate a guy who was SLICED IN HALF 12 years ago.

I liked the first two seasons of that show better than the prequels, but man did it fall into the abyss (like Maul) in the third season. Just horrendous.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #919 on: October 12, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
I'm not sure why it matters that his death has no meaning or impact; his presence didn't, either.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #920 on: October 12, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »
The show has indeed been going downhill since the middle of the second season.  Bringing Maul back to life is an inexcusably awful idea.

From the announcement about it on EW.com:

"Fans will note that there is precedent for this kind of resurrection. “The Dark Side of the Force is the path to many abilities some consider to be…unnatural,” Darth Sidious says in Revenge of the Sith. Sidious and his master found a way to use the Force to cheat death—that’s how he was able to keep Vader alive after that little swan dive into a lava field."

I guess I missed that part of the movie.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #921 on: October 12, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »
I'm not sure why it matters that his death has no meaning or impact; his presence didn't, either.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #922 on: October 12, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
Guys, it wasn't Darth Maul. It was his clone. They've popped up before.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #923 on: October 12, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
Oh of course, how silly are we? :facepalm:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #924 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »

I know you were just being snarky, but this obviously affects a lot more, mainly opening a can of worms (Maul arguably had the most convincing on screen death in all of the films, whose death CAN'T be explained away now) and cheapening Qui-Gon and Sidious.

And also consider what they could possibly benefit from for bringing him back.  He still has to die (probably), and if it's just to die against Obi-Wan again, what's the point?  If he dies to Anakin, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but okay.  If he dies to Ahsoka, that's beyond inexcusable.

But having Darth Maul alive again makes Anakin having an apprentice between Episodes II and III seem like the most minor of continuity errors.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #925 on: October 14, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
There have been millions of continuity errors in the Star Wars universe, and they'll never be solved. Darth Maul's clones are the least of my worries compared to how Chewie dies. That's shit's just weird.

As far as I know, Maul survived the pitfall, recreated a metal attachment for legs, and found Obi-Wan on Tatooine sometime after Ben dropped Luke off with his aunt and uncle. It took him a hella long time to find him, and I think his reasoning for tracking him down was because he was the only jedi to defeat him. Nonetheless, I think he still gets his (mechanical) ass handed to him.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #926 on: October 14, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the EU to be honest. Didn't Chewie die from being crushed by a moon or something?  :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #927 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
I mean I've personally decided that the only Star Wars and Star Wars-related material I'll ever acknowledge are things related to the Original Trilogy + the KoTORs, so...

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #928 on: October 15, 2011, 04:47:23 AM »
Didn't Chewie die from being crushed by a moon or something?  :lol

The way it was explained to me was Chewie wanted to see if he could keep the moon from colliding with the planet he was on (I think it was Kashyyk, or however you spell it). So he stayed behind, held his arms up in a ready stance to brace it...and got crushed like a dumb cockroach.

WTF

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #929 on: October 15, 2011, 06:23:32 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the EU to be honest. Didn't Chewie die from being crushed by a moon or something?  :lol
If it didn't happen on a film screen, it didn't happen.  The EU is glorified fan fiction.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #930 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36:41 AM »
If it didn't happen on a film screen, it didn't happen.  The EU is glorified fan fiction.

That's how I feel as well.  But people who embrace the EU books as canon are quick to point out that the EU books are technically canon.

I had some friends who were really into the books, and I tried one or two, but just couldn't get into them.  They indeed just felt like fan fiction, more stories with some of the same characters, strictly for those who can't get enough.  I'm really glad I didn't read about Chewie dying like that.  I'm sure it was meant to be a noble attempt and all that, but come on, attempting to physically intervene between two astromonical bodies?  The real Chewbacca couldn't possibly be that stupid.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »
Well this is what's on Wookiepedia:

Han, Chewie, and Anakin (apparently his youngest son wtf) were evacuating people off the doomed planet.

"As the winds picked up, Anakin was knocked into the distance, causing Chewie to run after him. Chewie was able to bring Anakin to safety on the Falcon, but another blast of wind knocked him out of reach. Anakin piloted the Falcon, while his father stood on the entrance ramp hoping to lift Chewie up, but was forced to flee from Sernpidal when he realized it was too late to save Chewie. The Wookiee stood in the moon's trajectory, howling defiantly, and was crushed to death with those Sernpidalians who could not escape. His death drove Han to a resentment of his son Anakin. Han eventually recovered and forgave his son, but the death of his battle-brother and dearest companion would stick with him forever."

Not quite as stupid as Chewbacca thinking he can just palm a moon to stop it, but still...meh.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #932 on: October 15, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
Why the fuck would Han call is son Anakin?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: October 15, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Because bad writers can't come up with good names on their own.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #934 on: October 15, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
Fanfic writers always do that, and it sucks.  Yes, sometimes people name their kids after old, dear friends, and sometimes after their own mom or dad or favorite uncle or whomever.  But it seems to happen every time in fanfic.

And in real fic, too.  I probably shouldn't go there, but that last scene in the last Harry Potter movie (okay yeah I went there) with the "next generation" of Hogwart's students was actually kinda cool.  We know Hogwart's is still around and presumably doing alright.  We know who ended up with whom, and of course then all have kids now.  Then Harry stooped down to say goodbye to son, Ronald James Albus Severus Sirius John Paul George Ringo Neil Geddy Alex Potter.  What the fuck was that about?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #935 on: October 15, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
Well, Anakin did bring balance to the force, if you're gonna name your kid after someone it might as well be him.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #936 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
I think it's more like Han's wife/baby-momma is Leia, and she named one of her kids after her dad.  That sort of thing does happen from time to time in real life, yeah?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #937 on: October 15, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »
Ah yes, I'd heard that Leia and Han end up getting married.  It does make sense for the kid to be named after Leia's father.  I was thinking of it more like Han naming his kid after Luke's dad, which would be weird.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #938 on: October 15, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »

Agreed. 

And the Maul coming back on mechanical legs and fighting Obi-Wan wasn't even on the EU level of "canon" it was a visionaries thing, a "what if" scenario if you will.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #939 on: October 26, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »
My 5 and 4 year old sons began asking me questions about the back of the Honey Nut Cheerio boxes a few weeks ago. They are heavily promoting the re-re-re-re-release of the Star Wars trilogy. So I explained the characters to them, which led to me buying them a couple coloring books.....which led to the cool little light sabers that extend and make authentic noise......which led to the Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker outfits we just bought for Halloween.
  Not ten minutes ago I came across the first Re-release DVD package I had bought those years ago and it hadn't even been opened. they immediately swarmed me and grabbed the DVDs and were really just digging the outside of the DVD cases. My wife asked me what the rating was for the movies and I told her PG......so it looks like this Saturday night me and the boys will be carving up some pumkins then heading to the family room for thier first real Star Wars experience.  :metal How the small things in life make you tear up a bit.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #940 on: October 26, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Awesome!   :tup

Offline Liberation

« Reply #941 on: October 26, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
I've been loving Star Wars for like ten years but there's two things in A New Hope that I still find a bit strange...
1) Obi-Wan's death. Why did he just let Vader kill him? He may have if not won, then at least survived the duel; and he knew he definitely is an important person for the rebels. I find it strange.
2) The destruction of Alderaan. It's the greatest crime the Empire has ever committed, yet after the initial reactions, it's basically never mentioned later.

These two things are just a bit confusing for me, I love everything else. And yes, the new trilogy included. (I could write more about that but I should really go to bed now.)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #942 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »
Obi-Wan has learned how to become a "Force ghost" -- basically enabling him to ascend to another plane.  He has successfully distracted Darth Vader long enough to allow Luke and the others to escape (well almost, he probably could have given them just a few more minutes), and knows that he'll be more useful to Luke as something of a spiritual advisor than anything he can do in the physical world.  There's a short exchange toward the end of Episode III where Yoda tells Obi-Wan that he's been in contact with Qui-Gon, who has learned how to do it.  The implication is that Yoda and Obi-Wan eventually also learn it.

Admittedly, the destruction of Alderaan is strangely without repercussions.  Leia doesn't even seem to think about past the next scene.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #943 on: October 27, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
So David Prowse is coming to my University.

https://news.glam.ac.uk/news/en/2011/oct/26/force-strong-darth-vader-visit-university-glamorga/

Highlight of the article:

"The Moore Show, presented by Kevin Moore..."

I shat bricks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #944 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
Obi-Wan has learned how to become a "Force ghost" -- basically enabling him to ascend to another plane.  He has successfully distracted Darth Vader long enough to allow Luke and the others to escape (well almost, he probably could have given them just a few more minutes), and knows that he'll be more useful to Luke as something of a spiritual advisor than anything he can do in the physical world.  There's a short exchange toward the end of Episode III where Yoda tells Obi-Wan that he's been in contact with Qui-Gon, who has learned how to do it.  The implication is that Yoda and Obi-Wan eventually also learn it.

Admittedly, the destruction of Alderaan is strangely without repercussions.  Leia doesn't even seem to think about past the next scene.

Who else can do it? Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin... are they the only ones or was it something more common? And didn't Obi-Wan seem surprised when he found out in ROTS? (It's been awhile since I've watched it)