Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461383 times)

Offline zepp-head

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #770 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
Seriously, their rating system needs work.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #771 on: September 12, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
I don't think people should be able to vote before the product is actually released, but other than that I don't have much of a problem with it.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #772 on: September 12, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
Yeah but that's a pretty major flaw in my opinion. 

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #773 on: September 12, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
One of my housemates has KOTOR, so I decided to play it. It's taught me a few things about life.

1) Games exist which do not have checkpoints.
2) In these games, if you die, you die. Full stop (not a semi colon). You are dead. Gone. Game Over. Permanently.
3) When you think you've been doing well for the last three hours, and then you die, it's infuriating.
4) When everyone's saying "beware of the mutants", and even a healer says "the mutants beyond this gate WILL kill you", don't open the sodding gate.
5) If it's Star Wars and you don't get to use force powers or a lightsaber within three hours, you're going to ragequit, especially if you were collecting a lot of lightside points.

Edit: Fun game while I was still alive though.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
Umm, you do know about quick-saving, right? 

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #775 on: September 12, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
One of my housemates has KOTOR, so I decided to play it. It's taught me a few things about life.

2) In these games, if you die, you die. Full stop (not a semi colon). You are dead. Gone. Game Over. Permanently.
3) When you think you've been doing well for the last three hours, and then you die, it's infuriating.
4) When everyone's saying "beware of the mutants", and even a healer says "the mutants beyond this gate WILL kill you", don't open the sodding gate.
5) If it's Star Wars and you don't get to use force powers or a lightsaber within three hours, you're going to ragequit, especially if you were collecting a lot of lightside points.

It's definitely more strenuous to get light side points.  I've played through the game a few times, and I still feel bad in real life about some of the things I did for dark side points.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #776 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
I hope you do know that you can save things.

Overall though, that game is fantastic. I was thinking about playing it again the other day actually. Started the second one, but I don't think I ever finished.

KOTOR and Republic Commando would be my two favorite SW games.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #777 on: September 15, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »
Just remembered this was coming tomorrow. Sweet.

Anyway, there is rumor that there's Natalie Portman explaining the Sifo Dyas mystery on the "spoofs feature." Which is pretty hilarious since it was promised over and over we would get that and never did. GL has a sense of humor apparently.

EDIT: Wait, just looked this up on amazon, 91 minutes of spoofs!? That's insane.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #778 on: September 15, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »
^^^
I believe that was confirmed.  It's a shame they essentially ran out of screen time to explain it in the films.

Canceled my pre-order since they come out tomorrow and it hadn't shipped yet.  So I'm gonna get up early (got the day off), bag myself a box set and nerd out alllllll day long.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #779 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:05 PM »

best game ever

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #780 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:33 PM »
^^^
I believe that was confirmed.  It's a shame they essentially ran out of screen time to explain it in the films.

Canceled my pre-order since they come out tomorrow and it hadn't shipped yet.  So I'm gonna get up early (got the day off), bag myself a box set and nerd out alllllll day long.

I considered cancelling my pre-order and buying it in store...........hell, I'm going to do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: September 15, 2011, 10:43:08 PM »
As soon as I get home from my "colon scoping procedure" I'll be chowing down on food and watching the special features.   :tup

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #782 on: September 16, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
Just got through the first two films, they look beautiful.  I think I like Attack of the Clones more right now than I ever have, something just clicked more this time watching it through.

The original trilogy has some interesting deleted/extended scenes to be sure.  The "Yoda communes with Qui-Gon" deleted scene is the disappointment of the box set for me so far, since I really looked forward to finally seeing it.  Unfortunately, it's an animatic of Yoda, no Liam Neeson voice, and it's about 20 seconds long.  No "love is the answer to the darkness" or why the jedi failed, just "with my training you can retain your consciousness even after your physical self has perished". 

Very cool stuff overall and I've only just begun to tap into it.  Onto Revenge of the Sith.

Long live Star Wars.  :biggrin:

Also: https://www.hulu.com/watch/1502/saturday-night-live-natalie-portman-monologue
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:45:12 PM by zepp-head »

Offline gm5k

« Reply #783 on: September 16, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »

best game ever

I want to do a run through with only guns and force powers(for my character), no melee weapons.  Have a feeling I'm going to get bored really fast though  :lol

Even more than that though, I wanna get my hands on a copy of KOTOR The Sith Lords soon.  Really underrated game IMO, bugs and all.  The writing is so damn good and dark  :metal

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #784 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
The original trilogy has some interesting deleted/extended scenes to be sure.  The "Yoda communes with Qui-Gon" deleted scene is the disappointment of the box set for me so far, since I really looked forward to finally seeing it.  Unfortunately, it's an animatic of Yoda, no Liam Neeson voice, and it's about 20 seconds long.  No "love is the answer to the darkness" or why the jedi failed, just "with my training you can retain your consciousness even after your physical self has perished". 

Is that a joke or did you seriously expect an OT deleted scene to be about a character Lucas thought up only a little over a decade ago?

Offline TL

« Reply #785 on: September 16, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
Apparently ROTS was originally going to have a more comedic tone;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvCf29AxiTc&feature=player_embedded

Online Adami

« Reply #786 on: September 16, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »

Is that a joke or did you seriously expect an OT deleted scene to be about a character Lucas thought up only a little over a decade ago?

It was supposed to be in the end of Sith. Not sure why he expected it in episodes 1 or 2.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »

It was supposed to be in the end of Sith. Not sure why he expected it in episodes 1 or 2.

Not sure why you guys are assuming I was looking in the wrong place and somehow still succeeding in watching it.  Regardless, the deleted scenes are on discs 7 and 8, not on the discs with the films themselves.  Yes, it's a scene from Revenge of the Sith, and no, I did not look for it in Episodes I, II, IV, V, or VI.

Revenge of the Sith appears to be unchanged other than a reinserted wipe from the theatrical cut of the film.

Online Adami

« Reply #788 on: September 16, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
I assumed what I did because you first said "just got through the first two films" then started talking about deleted/extended scenes, which I thought you meant were inserted into the film.

Let me know if there's any other awful changes like Jabbas palace.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #789 on: September 16, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »
Oh no, sorry for any confusion.  I watched the deleted scenes separately, I haven't watched the originals yet, but finished the prequels.

So far I've noticed overall color correction to all 3 so far.  Digital Yoda in The Phantom Menace (and he no longer wears his hood at the funeral), new screens the Nemoidians use, an enhanced "force run" effect, and an increase in battle droids in the final land battle. 

Attack of the Clones features Anakin hearing Shmi's voice during his nightmare, and without comparing it's hard to confirm, but I can almost guarantee the part where Yoda saves Obi and Anakin by lifting the beam is cut differently.  The color shift is most noticeable in this film, all of it is a bit more cyan.

Revenge of the Sith has no changes I caught outside of a re-inserted wipe.

To be continued.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #790 on: September 16, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »

WWWHHHHAAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?!?!!?   THIS IS REAL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
Watching Episode I now, which looks fantastic, but I was just thinking: In the scene before the battle, the queen explains the whole three-pronged attack/battle/diversion to the rest of the guys. Did she think of the whole thing herself? Doesn't she have advisers who would do that stuff? Wouldn't the jedi and her head of security been in on it?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:58 PM »
Not sure why you guys are assuming I was looking in the wrong place and somehow still succeeding in watching it.  Regardless, the deleted scenes are on discs 7 and 8, not on the discs with the films themselves.  Yes, it's a scene from Revenge of the Sith, and no, I did not look for it in Episodes I, II, IV, V, or VI.

Oh, well you mentioned that the OT had some deleted scenes and then mentioned that scene, so I thought you were implying that Lucas meaning to shove more prequel trilogy trash into the OT under the guise of "I had it planned all along, guys" like most of the stuff he did.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #793 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »

I thought it already did? ???
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #794 on: September 17, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »

WWWHHHHAAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?!?!!?   THIS IS REAL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's in the deleted scenes.  I'm still puzzled by it.

Oh, well you mentioned that the OT had some deleted scenes and then mentioned that scene, so I thought you were implying that Lucas meaning to shove more prequel trilogy trash into the OT under the guise of "I had it planned all along, guys" like most of the stuff he did.

Nope.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #795 on: September 17, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »
Anyone watch the OT blu rays yet?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #796 on: September 17, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Anyone watch the OT blu rays yet?

And when you do, describe the deleted scenes.  If I did ever buy the OT on blu ray, that would be the only reason.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #797 on: September 17, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
I don't know if the OT alone on blu ray has the deleted scenes.  I watched them all the other day.

There is some interesting stuff from early A New Hope of Luke in the Tosche Station talking to Biggs and a few others.  Biggs secretly tells Luke he is joining the rebellion.  It also pretty much spells out that the Empire is Marxist. 

Han originally was with a woman in the Cantina whom he kisses and turns away as soon as Obi-Wan and Luke sit down.

Luke and 3PO in the Landspeeder to find R2 was taken out because the visuals weren't up to par.

In an alternate take of the scene added into the special edition, Red Leader tells Luke that he once flew with his father (doesn't call him by name).  "If you're half as good a pilot as him, we'll be alright".

There some other smaller scenes from A New Hope, like an old woman encouraging the landspeeder to drive safely.  It also appears that Han and Greedo were originally meant to fire at the same time. I'll chime in with more later.

Offline ehra

« Reply #798 on: September 17, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Even more than that though, I wanna get my hands on a copy of KOTOR The Sith Lords soon.  Really underrated game IMO, bugs and all.  The writing is so damn good and dark  :metal

If you like that then go to Good Old Games and buy a copy of Planescape: Torment, it was made/written by the same guys. You will not be disappoint.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #799 on: September 17, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
Star Wars Ultimate Edition: Han & Greedo Shootout (skip to 30 seconds)

https://youtu.be/P2i0nvnErFU

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #800 on: September 17, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »
I don't know if the OT alone on blu ray has the deleted scenes.  I watched them all the other day.

There is some interesting stuff from early A New Hope of Luke in the Tosche Station talking to Biggs and a few others.  Biggs secretly tells Luke he is joining the rebellion.  It also pretty much spells out that the Empire is Marxist. 

Han originally was with a woman in the Cantina whom he kisses and turns away as soon as Obi-Wan and Luke sit down.

Luke and 3PO in the Landspeeder to find R2 was taken out because the visuals weren't up to par.

In an alternate take of the scene added into the special edition, Red Leader tells Luke that he once flew with his father (doesn't call him by name).  "If you're half as good a pilot as him, we'll be alright".

There some other smaller scenes from A New Hope, like an old woman encouraging the landspeeder to drive safely.  It also appears that Han and Greedo were originally meant to fire at the same time. I'll chime in with more later.

Oh no, I know.  I seem to remember official press releases saying that the OT's bonus disc would have deleted scenes for all three.

Also I've seen that first one, laughably dreadful. :lol

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #801 on: September 17, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »

:lol

I'm in favor of Han shooting first, but I've never understood why Greedo shooting first hurts his "badass" persona.  He has a gun in his face, he was always in self-defense.  In the blu-ray, it looks like they fire at the same time. 

Oh no, I know.  I seem to remember official press releases saying that the OT's bonus disc would have deleted scenes for all three.

I liked it.  :D

Online Adami

« Reply #802 on: September 17, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »

That was way funnier than I thought it would be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #803 on: September 18, 2011, 08:26:48 AM »

:lol

I'm in favor of Han shooting first, but I've never understood why Greedo shooting first hurts his "badass" persona.  He has a gun in his face, he was always in self-defense.  In the blu-ray, it looks like they fire at the same time. 

I liked it.  :D

I mean I liked the scene itself, but as you said it had those "EVIL COMMIES" overtones, and that ruined the scene for me.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #804 on: September 18, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
From what I've pieced together from the other films, that's how I always viewed the Empire anyway, so that doesn't really bother me.  If anything, it's kinda interesting to have it actually said outright. 

The Empire Strikes Back only has a couple new touches.  The Wampa puppeteer's arm is no longer visible, and the Cloud Car that passes by Leia's window now casts a reflection.  It looks like the saber's are a LITTLE better than on the DVD. 

The deleted scenes include a couple things with the rebels holding Wampas.  Extended dialogue after "You could use a good kiss" that ends with Leia getting pissy and calling Han a hotshot.  Extended "scruffy looking nerf herder" that begins earlier with only Luke and Leia.  Extended kiss on the Falcon where after the initial kiss, she says "Okay, hotshot" and they kiss again, more passionately before being interrupted by 3PO.  More training with Yoda, involving him holding some sort of beam for a while, then moving it which Luke is supposed to grab.  And finally, a scene of Leia tending to Luke at the end, where Boba Fett is mentioned by name.

Return of the Jedi's deleted scenes have an alternate opening of Vader going to his meditation chamber and reaching out to Luke as he did in Empire.  This was fully scored and is actually on the Special Edition soundtrack if any of you have that.  Meanwhile, Luke is in a Tatooine cave making his green lightsaber.  Moff Jerjerrod has basically an entire subplot lumped together in one long deleted scene, where he is choked by Vader but lives, and is later given the order to turn the Death Star to destroy Endor if they lose the shield.  Crix Madine has some deleted scenes as well, where he is commanding a ship, and he even has some of Ackbar's lines.  The rebels led by Han can be seen storming the bunker, some cool unfinished action, which of course ends with them being ambushed.  This time, when the Imperial says "You rebel scum", Han replies "scum?", it's done very well.  Various shots of pilots in cockpits, most of which did not make the movie, can be seen repeating lines the director shouts at them, in most cases very poorly.  One of the female cockpits made the film but was overdubbed by a man.  There is a Mon Cal pilot at the end that repeats mainly humorous lines (I imagine they would've been overdubbed by other lines) like "fried Calimari tonight!" and "this is the last time I'm flying Lucas Air!".