Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455162 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5460 on: December 09, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
Got tickets for Sunday evening. Can't wait

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5461 on: December 11, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »
Will catch up with TFA this weekend but don't think I have time to see TLJ until 26--28 dec so I guess i'll avoid this thread as much as possible until then.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5462 on: December 11, 2017, 03:46:04 AM »
Good luck with that (I mean that sincerely btw :lol ). I've read there are some big twists in the movie, which people will probably be talking about. I don't know what happens as I'm trying not to spoil it this close, but it only takes one jerk to spoil it for you.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5463 on: December 11, 2017, 06:38:27 AM »
Speaking of which.....when is proper etiquette in this thread to fully discuss? After opening weekend? I dont want to spoil for others and don’t want to be spoiled.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5464 on: December 11, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »
I say once it hits opening day, it's fair game. Usually people will just disclaimer a post with SPOILERS as a courtesy, but if you read a thread about a movie/franchise after it's opened and aren't prepared for spoilers, it's your own fault as far as I'm concerned.
Or we could make a separate thread specifically for the movie that clearly states in the title there will be spoilers.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5465 on: December 11, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »
Yea I know, will be quite a challenge. My solid proof strategy is to just treat anything I hear as rumours or personal opinions and then simply ignore it and move on. We'll see how that goes.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5466 on: December 11, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »
In the Marvel thread, most post spoiler stuff in small font for about the 1st weekend / week.  Then perhaps a warning for another weekend, then it's fair game.

I'll be avoiding this thread, and FB.  I'd managed to be blissfully aware of Han's demise before the release, but then some f'n post in my FB feed on opening weekend spoiled it.  jingle.family is going Sunday afternoon, so I'll be off FB for the weekend.  No big loss.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5467 on: December 11, 2017, 10:52:09 AM »
I say once it hits opening day, it's fair game. Usually people will just disclaimer a post with SPOILERS as a courtesy, but if you read a thread about a movie/franchise after it's opened and aren't prepared for spoilers, it's your own fault as far as I'm concerned.

I tend to agree with this. If I haven't seen a movie on opening day I ususally just stay out of threads concerning it until I've seen it. I think it's quite boring to talk about a movie but having what I can say restricted.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5468 on: December 11, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
My boys are becoming somewhat frantic over seeing this on opening day because it is becoming so difficult to avoid spoilers.  I get it.  And I'm tempted to go along because I have the same concern.  But I also think it is a bad precedent to buy into, and buying into it just means you pretty much ALWAYS have to then see stuff on release day to avoid spoilers, which just isn't practical.  So I think I'm going to draw a "line in the sand" and hold off a week just as a teaching opportunity (and for the practical reason that this weekend just doesn't work for us).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5469 on: December 11, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »
I'm going Thursday at 8! Can't wait!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5470 on: December 11, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
This is where it’s nice not being a huge SW fan. I’ll see it, but I don’t care if I have to wait a bit.

I hope it’s good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5471 on: December 11, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
I've gotten in the habit of taking the Friday of opening weekend off for Star Wars movies in December, seeing a mid-day show to beat the crowds, and going Christmas shopping the rest of the day. So I'm going at noon on Friday. Can't wait!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5472 on: December 11, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
I've gotten in the habit of taking the Friday of opening weekend off for Star Wars movies in December, seeing a mid-day show to beat the crowds, and going Christmas shopping the rest of the day. So I'm going at noon on Friday. Can't wait!

Fun tradition!  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5473 on: December 11, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
There was an opportunity for me to see it in Burbank as a my friend's plus one at the Disney Studios....but then his wife was able to get off work  >:( :biggrin:

I started my Star Wars marathon last night starting with Rogue One, and tonight will be A New Hope, Empire tomorrow, ROTJ Wednesday, and Force Awakens Thursday before my 6pm screening of The Last Jedi!

And no im not skipping the prequels because they are bad films, I just didn't have time after managing a commercial shoot last week. I tried to beat traffic so I could start my marathon to include those films, but beating Los Angeles traffic is like rubber lips on a woodpecker.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5474 on: December 11, 2017, 02:29:59 PM »
And no im not skipping the prequels because they are bad films, I just didn't have time after managing a commercial shoot last week. I tried to beat traffic so I could start my marathon to include those films, but beating Los Angeles traffic is like rubber lips on a woodpecker.

Especially right now with 405 closed.  I was just down there this past weekend (and last month as well).  I tried letting you know, but no response.  But, yeah, So. Cal. traffic. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #5475 on: December 11, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
Didn't let me know.  :'(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5476 on: December 11, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
My bad.  But in my defense: (a) I forgot you were in So. Cal., and (b) both trips were limited to Disney, and unlike our buddy Accelerando, I've never read of you having unlimited access to Disneyland to visit people there at will.  Sorry, man.   :'(

Offline Adami

« Reply #5477 on: December 11, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »
My bad.  But in my defense: (a) I forgot you were in So. Cal., and (b) both trips were limited to Disney, and unlike our buddy Accelerando, I've never read of you having unlimited access to Disneyland to visit people there at will.  Sorry, man.   :'(

One of my clients works there. I can't ask him for any tickets, but that should really put me at the top of the list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5478 on: December 11, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
I absolutely did not see your messages! I probably wouldn't have time to meet up last week, but i am bummed that I missed you last month!

Adami, I did not know you lived in SoCal as well

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5479 on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:10 PM »
I am going to a private screening in an hour. I would never do spoilers, but will just rate it

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5480 on: December 11, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »
I am going to a private screening in an hour. I would never do spoilers, but will just rate it

Sometimes I hate you so much.  I'll be typing this again the first week of May no doubt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5481 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »
Me and the kiddos are about to sit down and watch TFA to refresh our memories.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5482 on: December 11, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
Wow that's awesome. Even Thursday feels like such a long wait.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #5483 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
Adami, I did not know you lived in SoCal as well

Why doesn't everyone already know everything about me?!?!?

Yea, I live in Alhambra.

Anyway, I was going to put off seeing this because of audiences, but then I remembered that you can pick reserve seats for IMAX. So I went and bought a nice ticket for a Sunday show at noon. Hopefully won't be packed with annoying adults.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5484 on: December 11, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
Yea, I live in Alhambra.

Oh, wow.  I had no idea you were Chinese.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5485 on: December 11, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
Yea, I live in Alhambra.

Oh, wow.  I had no idea you were Chinese.

Yup! After one year of living here I qualified for a Chinese passport.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5486 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »
I had to marry in.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5487 on: December 12, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »

Well? What did you think of it, without giving anything away?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5488 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
Apparently the review embargo lifts in an hour at 12 am EST today. I will not be surprised if it's the best reviewed Star Wars movie so far.

Which means I'll have to stay away from social media and many websites, probably the internet in general until Thursday 8 pm.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5489 on: December 12, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
The reactions I've read from a lot of fans about a particular thing that happens in the film (I don't know what it is, as I'm avoiding spoilers) has been quite negative, so this might be a divisive one. Or maybe they're just over-reactive fanboys who are pre-judging a movie and trilogy based only on leaked plot points that don't line up with their own desires, so maybe they're full of shit. :lol

Not that I put any stock in that kind of opinion. I'll be going into it with an open mind, and I'm sure I'll at least like it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5490 on: December 12, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
Reviews on Metacritic and Rottentomatoes so far appear to be on par with The Force Awakens and I've read a tweet or two from some people who saw it saying it's the most fun star wars yet. 48 hrs to go for my show!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5491 on: December 13, 2017, 02:21:08 AM »
I'm seeing it later today hopefully!

I'll be posting my SPOILER FREE reactions, once i get back home..

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5492 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:07 AM »
I'm debating whether or not to go to the midnight showing tonight. I'd probably be in pieces tomorrow at work.

We're booked to go next Saturday for my son's birthday, but the chances of staying unspoiled until then are pretty small.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #5493 on: December 13, 2017, 05:47:41 AM »
Going to the midnight showing tonight, have booked tomorrow morning off work.  Really looking forward to this! 11 hours  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5494 on: December 13, 2017, 05:49:27 AM »
Seeing it in 22 hours. No midnight screening for me, or else I'd be seeing it in 10 minutes. :biggrin: