Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455169 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5355 on: October 09, 2017, 09:41:32 PM »
Ya....I wish I hadn't watched it.   Maybe some of the stuff it hinted might happen isn't really going to happen, but ya.   It didn't have any true spoilers, but it hinted at things that would have rather not been hinted at.

I can see why he told people not to see it.

Exactly.  I'll keep this small for those that are trying to stay away from any spoilers.

is Kylo gonna blast mom away?  Perhaps, but I'm not buying it the way that the trailer suggests.  Is Rey gonna join up with Kylo?  Doubt it.  Nice to see Snoke in the flesh though - and I'm thinking that him (in the yellow robe) is the one "torturing" Rey?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5356 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
I only watched it quickly, but I don't feel like the trailer gives away much. There's the usual deceptive editing to make things appear a certain way, but without having seen the final movie, nothing jumped out at me as spoileriffic. Maybe I'll have to watch it again.
Either way, it all looked good. It's Star Wars.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5357 on: October 09, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
I was in a noisy bar and saw the entire trailer, but had no audio. Is the spoiler said or shown?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5358 on: October 09, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
Its a combination.   Not sure either one would make sense without the other.

EDIT - ...and like I said.  Its really not a black and white spoiler.   I dont think they gave anything away.   But there was a bit more info than I was comfortable knowing about.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5359 on: October 09, 2017, 11:39:07 PM »
Really liking Finn's new look.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5360 on: October 09, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »
It looks great! Love the trailer.

I don't need to see any more trailers or tv spots, only two months to go!

Now i'm just waiting for the Redlettermedia trailer reaction parody.. :biggrin:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5361 on: October 10, 2017, 02:57:41 AM »
I've watched it a few times now. Looks great. At first I thought Luke seemed a bit off, but then again we haven't really been introduced to Old Luke properly yet, so we've no idea what he's become. The visual effects look top notch. I hope we get to see a bit more of Phasma this time - the face off between Finn and her looks promising.

I'm almost certain that last scene was cut to be deliberately misleading. Rey couldn't go to the Dark Side. Could she? Could she?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5362 on: October 10, 2017, 06:09:01 AM »
Incredible poster and trailer. When Luke said "I wasn't afraid of it then, but I am now", I got the chills man...

While I think that the trailer should definitely be avoided by anyone who wants to go in completely clean, I also think that there is probably a lot of deceptive cutting and misdirection. There's no way that everything in the movie goes exactly as it seems. I didn't feel that it was too spoiler-y.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5363 on: October 10, 2017, 07:23:07 AM »
I'm really happy spoilers don't bother me much. Great trailer. It looks like it might go in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5364 on: October 10, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
Incredible poster and trailer. When Luke said "I wasn't afraid of it then, but I am now", I got the chills man...

While I think that the trailer should definitely be avoided by anyone who wants to go in completely clean, I also think that there is probably a lot of deceptive cutting and misdirection. There's no way that everything in the movie goes exactly as it seems. I didn't feel that it was too spoiler-y.

absolutely. I cannot imagine that any of what we saw that folks are now speculating due to the way it was cut is actually going to happen. I just don't see Disney allowing major plot points to be revealed in a freaking trailer. It served it's purpose but I don't buy for one second any of what we were being led to believe by it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5365 on: October 10, 2017, 07:58:55 AM »
I've watched it a few times now. Looks great. At first I thought Luke seemed a bit off, but then again we haven't really been introduced to Old Luke properly yet, so we've no idea what he's become. The visual effects look top notch. I hope we get to see a bit more of Phasma this time - the face off between Finn and her looks promising.

I'm almost certain that last scene was cut to be deliberately misleading. Rey couldn't go to the Dark Side. Could she? Could she?

But we also don't have the context of the full scene.  It's possible that she could reject his offer and fire up a lightsaber.  It's nothing to get worked up over, but I do like how it was presented - The Last Jedi.  Is she the last because she's the chosen one?  Is she the last because she turns?  We'll find out in a few months.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5366 on: October 10, 2017, 08:00:54 AM »

But we also don't have the context of the full scene.  It's possible that she could reject his offer and fire up a lightsaber.  It's nothing to get worked up over, but I do like how it was presented - The Last Jedi.  Is she the last because she's the chosen one?  Is she the last because she turns?  We'll find out in a few months.  :)

...or we won't.  I mean, it's quite possible that the end of the movie is her apparent turn, leaving a major cliff hanger until Ep. IX. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5367 on: October 10, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »

...or we won't.  I mean, it's quite possible that the end of the movie is her apparent turn, leaving a major cliff hanger until Ep. IX.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the line Rey is saying about 'someone to show her where she belongs" is her speaking to Luke on that island and not what the trailer is leading us to believe....that is was Kylo.

What I did like was the confirmation from Luke that Kylo is 'strong'...I mean, we know that from the first film where he shows off his force skills (stopping laser shot mid flight/reading minds/etc etc) AND taking a direct hit from Chewbacca's crossbow laser (that they spent all film showing what a powerful weapon that was) and the fact that Luke senses the same thing in Rey is interesting as well.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5368 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
A bit random, but I wonder what the carbon fibre-looking strip is on Kylo's face:

https://youtu.be/Q0CbN8sfihY?t=78

At once stage in the trailer you see him with a vertical scar in roughly the same place, as he was at the end of TFA. I thinking this might be some sort of healing device or futuristic sticking plaster.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5369 on: October 10, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
Someone told me a theory of theirs that I really like: Rey was trying to forge an alliance with Kylo so that they could go back to Luke and inspire him to return to the mix. Perhaps the three of them uniting is the only way to defeat Snoke. Rey's first step is recruiting Kylo so that she can then recruit Luke.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5370 on: October 10, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
I'll join along the "Trailers can be misleading and the editing is deceiving" line. I would be very surprised if the two scenes of Kylo aiming and Leila scared and Rey asking for guidance and Kylo offering her hand are consecutive.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5371 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I'll join along the "Trailers can be misleading and the editing is deceiving" line. I would be very surprised if the two scenes of Kylo aiming and Leila scared and Rey asking for guidance and Kylo offering her hand are consecutive.

I think there's zero chance of those scenes being linked. There is just no possible way they'd put something like that in a trailer....there's simply no NEED to do it. I think it's intentional for sure but it was intentionally misleading.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5372 on: October 10, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
Anyone else think that Rey and Kylo are twins?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5373 on: October 10, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
Anyone else think that Rey and Kylo are twins?

I’d thought about that possibility, but what would steer me away from it is the fact that there was zero mention of any of Leia and Han’s other offspring in TFA. Rey and Leia meet at the end of the movie, but there’s hardly any dialogue between them. I remember Han giving Rey some world weary advice at one point, but it didn’t seem like there was any hint of a father/daughter relationship.

Of course I could be totally wrong..  :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5374 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time that a twin is totally pulled out of the director's a$$ without any previous thought about it  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5375 on: October 10, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
I actually think that the shots MirrorMask is referencing are consecutive. I just don't necessarily think that the context of what's happening will match our expectations, if that makes sense.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5376 on: October 10, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
I actually think that the shots MirrorMask is referencing are consecutive. I just don't necessarily think that the context of what's happening will match our expectations, if that makes sense.

I agree about the second one definitely. There’s more happening there than we yet know. I’m thinking that Kylo and Rey might be forced to team up to take on some other side quest, perhaps.

The first situation may be more straightforward, in that it creates a neat way for Leia’s character to be written out of the series, and has parallels with what happened in TFA.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5377 on: October 10, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5378 on: October 10, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
:clap:

Perfect.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5379 on: October 10, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Dear Lord...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5380 on: October 10, 2017, 06:26:16 PM »
Why was Chewbacca Computer generated?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5381 on: October 11, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
Theorizing from trailer:

The quote from Luke that went something like "this will not end like you think it will" seemed to take place between him and Rey in that water cavern. I'm curious as to if that was Luke's version of what Yoda did to him with the walk through the tree roots where he ran into Vadar? And he's essentially telling Rey the same thing Yoda told him...as if she had some sort of vision and is going to run off to rescue Finn/Poe?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5382 on: October 11, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
I just realized this, but the scene where Rey breaks the ground is very Dragon Ball Z. She's sitting there powering up, meanwhile the ground is shaking, pebbles are flying through the air, and everyone else is trembling with fear. Probably unintentional, but I don't think I've ever seen that kind of thing before in a live action movie.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5383 on: October 13, 2017, 02:06:43 AM »
It looked like there was a CGI version of Carrie Fisher in some scenes in which they messed up on her nose. That bothers me a bit, she deserves much better than that..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5384 on: October 13, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
Carrie Fisher finished shooting all of her scenes for the movie, as far as I know, so if her nose looked weird, it wasn't due to CGI. Obviously correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain of that.

I also feel like no CGI was done on Chewbacca, although I'm less confident in that assumption. Has anyone come across sources that state otherwise?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5385 on: October 13, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »
Carrie Fisher finished shooting all of her scenes for the movie, as far as I know, so if her nose looked weird, it wasn't due to CGI. Obviously correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain of that.

I also feel like no CGI was done on Chewbacca, although I'm less confident in that assumption. Has anyone come across sources that state otherwise?

Rian Johnson tweeted that it was 100% real. I think it's mostly because Chewy looks different without Mayhew.

I think they said there will be no changes made to the movie since Fisher's death, including CGI. But they certainly apply filters to her to make her look younger in these movies, which makes her look a little fake.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5386 on: October 13, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
Theorizing from trailer:

The quote from Luke that went something like "this will not end like you think it will" seemed to take place between him and Rey in that water cavern. I'm curious as to if that was Luke's version of what Yoda did to him with the walk through the tree roots where he ran into Vadar? And he's essentially telling Rey the same thing Yoda told him...as if she had some sort of vision and is going to run off to rescue Finn/Poe?

That makes sense. Though I have also read theories that that specific quote & scene is from the flashback to when Kylo and the Knights of Ren destroy Luke's Jedi Temple.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5387 on: October 13, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
Theorizing from trailer:

That makes sense. Though I have also read theories that that specific quote & scene is from the flashback to when Kylo and the Knights of Ren destroy Luke's Jedi Temple.

Hmmmm...that's interesting as well. Could totally be plausible.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5388 on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
I couldn't make out another interesting line from Luke - the one that ends with "it didn't scare me back then, it scares me now". What comes before?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5389 on: October 13, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »
"I've seen this raw strength only once before."