Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455517 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #5320 on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »
I generally like movies that are not overly long. More movies should target the 105-120 minute runtime IMO.

But i also like longer movies, when the story justifies the runtime. Something like BvS certainly did not..

TFA had a breakneck pace, and did not answer some important questions properly. It's only fitting that TLJ is a longer movie that has time to explain some of the unexplained things from TFA.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5321 on: October 02, 2017, 05:18:46 AM »
Weird so many think the pacing of TFA was too fast, I thought it was just right for the story being told.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5322 on: October 02, 2017, 05:19:55 AM »
Weird so many think the pacing of TFA was too fast, I thought it was just right for the story being told.

Yeah I'd agree with you.  Rogue One I had pacing issues with, not TFA.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5323 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »
The first half of Rogue One definitely had issues, way too much stuff was happening at a breakneck speed. The second half more than made up for it for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5324 on: October 02, 2017, 05:40:50 AM »

Agreed.

I still think it could have slowed down a bit in certain places, but i generally did not have issues with it. Maybe i just wish i didn't need to wait two years, to get answers into some of the burning questions from TFA. :biggrin:

But, i digress.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5325 on: October 02, 2017, 05:45:11 AM »

It's par for the course for modern Hollywood action movie, but it was too fast paced imo, and they missed some crucial emotional moments because of it, instead opting for extraneous action sequences.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5326 on: October 02, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
Maybe, but for me when someone says too fast-paced, the transformer movies hold that honor. Compared to that TFA is a lot more balanced in its pacing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5327 on: October 02, 2017, 05:51:34 AM »
If you have to use Michael Bay as your baseline, you might have to reevaluate your position. :lol :P

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5328 on: October 02, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »
Maybe, but for me when someone says too fast-paced, the transformer movies hold that honor.

The pacing is one of the lesser issues I have with those films!

If you have to use Michael Bay as your baseline, you might have to reevaluate your position. :lol :P

I still say 'The Rock' was one of the great action movies of the 90's.   The rest of his filmography is well, yeah.....lets just say not so good.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5329 on: October 02, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »

I still say 'The Rock' was one of the great action movies of the 90's.   The rest of his filmography is well, yeah.....lets just say not so good.

I could sign up to that. Totally ridiculous plot, but still very enjoyable.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5330 on: October 02, 2017, 07:35:06 AM »
The Rock is still one of my favorite movies of all time.

Also, we're almost 2 months from TLJ and there still hasn't been a proper trailer. It's got to be release soon.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5331 on: October 02, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »

Also, we're almost 2 months from TLJ and there still hasn't been a proper trailer. It's got to be release soon.

There has been some rumors going around, that it will release on 9.10.2017. That's a week from now.

Supposedly during a Monday night Football game..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5332 on: October 02, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »

I've heard that we'll get a trailer on the 9th.

Ninja'd by Polarbear.  :laugh:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5333 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
I thought that The Force Awakens was fast-paced but also well-paced. Rogue One felt a tad slow to me, but was still a really enjoyable flick.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5334 on: October 02, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
The older I get, the less patience I have for overly long movies (Christopher Nolan, I'm looking at you). If it's focused and entertaining, by all means make a long movie. If it's long just because you don't know how to edit your work, get out of here. Once you stretch beyond 2 hours, I usually start to get restless.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5335 on: October 03, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
The older I get, the less patience I have for overly long movies (Christopher Nolan, I'm looking at you). If it's focused and entertaining, by all means make a long movie. If it's long just because you don't know how to edit your work, get out of here. Once you stretch beyond 2 hours, I usually start to get restless.

I'm the opposite. I prefer my movies to be 2.5-3 hours in length. That's not to say you can't tell a good story in 2 hours or over/under a hair...but all things being equal I like a long movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5336 on: October 03, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
It depends on what the movie calls for, but if the movies calls for a longer run time, don't cut it down because viewers have a shitty attention span. And I can easily see how this movie would need the longer run time. For scifi/fantasy, 2.5 hours shouldn't be a concern at all.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5337 on: October 04, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
I think that pacing is the most important factor. If memory serves, A New Hope is the shortest Star Wars film, but it feels like one of the longest. Don't get me wrong - great movie, one of my all-time favorites - but slow as molasses at times.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5338 on: October 04, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
^Really interesting observation.  I hadn't really thought about it as being one of the shortest.  But, yeah, pacing is everything.  And not trying to cram in too much is key.  I posted in the Alien Covenant thread that I just saw that movie this past weekend, and it felt short to me.  I had to recheck the run time and was surprised that it is actually 2 hours, 3 minutes.  I assumed it was under 2 hours.  It certainly felt like it.  And it's not that it was such a brilliant movie that time just flew by.  It was just paced well and didn't try to do too much in terms of information overload.  In fact, I think it was actually too streamlined and simplified and could have had more supporting detail and complexity.  Obviously, different types of movies will call for different pacing.  For me, the pacing in Covenant worked in its favor.  Overall, I think the pacing in the Star Wars films is pretty good and works fairly well for the most part (although the two new films I think maybe barely cross the line into trying to do too much in the time allotted), and I like your observation about the variation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5339 on: October 04, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »

I am the opposite, but also similar. Let me explain.

The older I get, the more I enjoy longer films, but I have less time to devote to it. My take is -- films should be the length the director and creator feel is appropriate to tell the story. And if it is long, then you just need to work that into your schedule, even if it means doing it in two days. That sucks, but that has become my reality. For example, I don't usually have 2 hours and 45 minutes to watch The Dark Knight in a straight shot these days. I did when it first came out, but not any longer. So, I typically watch the first half, and then come back to it in a day or two in the evening when I have another couple of hours.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5340 on: October 04, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
I couldn't give a rats arse what the length is.  I've sat through 90 minute movies that were boring as hell and felt like 2.5 hours.  I've sat through 2.5 hour movies that went by like *snap* that.

I've also watched near 3 hour movies that felt like I lost 5 hours of my life, and a few brain cells (looking at you, Transformers franchise)

So long as I'm entertained, and my interest/attention doesn't wane, I don't really care how long it is.  Either way, I always go pee when the commercials are running.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #5341 on: October 09, 2017, 06:28:42 AM »
New trailer to premiere tonite on Monday Night Football at half time

Online faizoff

« Reply #5342 on: October 09, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
And according to director Rian Johnson, it's best to avoid watching the trailer... which is not news to me as I never watch the trailers.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5343 on: October 09, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
And according to director Rian Johnson, it's best to avoid watching the trailer... which is not news to me as I never watch the trailers.

It's a shame that trailers reveal too much these days. If there's one franchise that shouldn't and doesn't need to spoil anything in the trailer to ensure success, it's Star Wars.
I'll watch the trailer anyway, since I don't care what it might give away (I already know plenty from reading around), and if a movie's good, it should have plenty to offer beyond what a trailer shows.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5344 on: October 09, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »

It's a shame that trailers reveal too much these days. If there's one franchise that shouldn't and doesn't need to spoil anything in the trailer to ensure success, it's Star Wars.
I'll watch the trailer anyway, since I don't care what it might give away (I already know plenty from reading around), and if a movie's good, it should have plenty to offer beyond what a trailer shows.

:iagree:  Looking forward to watching this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #5345 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
Well me personally I don't want ANY plot points to be given away in the trailer, I'm sure the movie will be good and will have a lot more than what is shown/revealed in the trailer. It's just a personal preference. I remember seeing someone made a comparison of the trailers in the 70s/80s and they've pretty much stayed the same in terms of revealing several things from the movie. Anyways, I've been on a self embargo on trailers for a very long time now and I think it really helps me with the enjoyment of the movies and shows I watch.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5346 on: October 09, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »
Looking forward to the trailer, but it will be tomorrow my time before I get to watch it. Will look out for first thing in the morning.

I seriously doubt they will reveal anything too spoilerific, but I hope we get a good feel for the tone of TLJ.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5347 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
I seriously doubt they will reveal anything too spoilerific, but I hope we get a good feel for the tone of TLJ.

Trailers are all made the same way anyway, regardless of the movie and the plot:

- Vague introductory shot, that doesn't define anything
- Sudden burst of action, protagonists talking, nice scenes
- Rush of ever faster paced scenes, all culminating in the screen going black and the title appearing
- Post-title scene that usually caters to the die-hard fan, with a little nugget that every obsessed fan will know

:D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5348 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
I wouldn't even bother with a trailer. I mean, it's only two months away from release and everyone who is going to see this movie is already going to see it....most likely three or four times. I can't imagine the trailer will catch any 'new' viewers.....like 'oh, a new Star Wars...really? Cool...I'll go see it.."

I'd leave it a mystery

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5349 on: October 09, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
I am going to hold off on watching the trailer until I get some feedback with regards to exactly how spoiler-y it is. I may even consult this very forum for advice... :biggrin:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5350 on: October 09, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
I personally can't wait. I know it will just make me more excited and will also make the next 2 months go even slower.  :corn

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #5351 on: October 09, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »
New poster  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5352 on: October 09, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »
This character will be back.  This other character will be back, also.  And look, this character too!  And... yep, that character too!  Wow, so many characters will be in this movie.  This looks awesome!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5353 on: October 09, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »
Good trailer. Wet the whistle a bit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5354 on: October 09, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
Ya....I wish I hadn't watched it.   Maybe some of the stuff it hinted might happen isn't really going to happen, but ya.   It didn't have any true spoilers, but it hinted at things that would have rather not been hinted at.

I can see why he told people not to see it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude