Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 456181 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4725 on: January 29, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
I just wish the changes weren't an all or nothing game. Some of the changes were really good, I think. Fixing the matte paintings, the lightsabers and other effects that looked a bit meh in the original, or changing the emperor so their's more continuity, or even adding digital ships to the fights so they seem more big.

But they just took it too far. I wish there was a way to get rid of the bad changes, and keep the good ones. But sadly it's a black and white thinking style.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4726 on: January 29, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
I just wish the changes weren't an all or nothing game. Some of the changes were really good, I think. Fixing the matte paintings, the lightsabers and other effects that looked a bit meh in the original, or changing the emperor so their's more continuity, or even adding digital ships to the fights so they seem more big.

But they just took it too far. I wish there was a way to get rid of the bad changes, and keep the good ones. But sadly it's a black and white thinking style.
Yeah. There's a cool shot or two that they added of the X-Wings and Y-Wings prior to the assault on the Death Star in A New Hope, but then there's also the enormous amount of stupid extra droids and creatures in Mos Eisley, the bad-looking Jabba scene...

Online Adami

« Reply #4727 on: January 29, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »

Yeah. There's a cool shot or two that they added of the X-Wings and Y-Wings prior to the assault on the Death Star in A New Hope, but then there's also the enormous amount of stupid extra droids and creatures in Mos Eisley, the bad-looking Jabba scene...

Exactly, some are good, some are really really bad.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:45:10 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4728 on: January 29, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »
The changes they made on the special editions were atrocious.  I remember watching Empire and there were random lines changed that weren't even bad to begin with.  Han slicing open the tonton to build the shelter, they changed his line....  Really?  Maybe I lost my mind and it was all my imagination though.

Return of the Jedi was the worst.  The ewok song "Yub Nub" at the end completely removed, replaced with random scenes of people rejoicing on other planets, including a crowd of gungans yelling "weesa win!" When I saw that I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth.  I'm not even a purist, I don't mind changes if they improve it. And the singers and dancers in jabba's palace - they took changes with that WAY too far.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4729 on: January 29, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
The ewok song "Yub Nub" at the end completely removed, replaced with random scenes of people rejoicing on other planets, including a crowd of gungans yelling "weesa win!"

I thought those shots of the other planets was great. It showed that the rebellion was about more than just Luke/Han/Leia. It was about freedom for the whole galaxy. And I even liked the new song, though the kid in me missed Yub Nub.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4730 on: January 29, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »
I have no problem with the special effects being cleaned up and subtle stuff like, cloud city being shown outside the windows and x wings approaching the death star, establishing shots flying in to cloud city or some tentacles on the sarlaac pit. That stuff doesn't mess with the narrative

But shit like dialogue changes, voice actor changes, new dance numbers, character removals, character additions, ie Hayden ghost and stuff like Vader going "no, no" in return of the jedi. Fuck all of that.

I'm honestly surprised that lucas didn't add in extra dialogue when vader was in his meditation chamber of him saying "i miss padme, i miss padme..."

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:37:20 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4731 on: January 29, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Anyone who wants the originals needs to get the Despecialized Editions. You can enjoy them with excellent sound, video and none of the added cheese just the way they were meant to be in DVD fromat. You can make nice DVD cases and everything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yLsvexWBVM8IYSGopKuSfsGk5YIgCwQWd23bqb5ryD4/pub

How to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvZ-rKdYQY

labels and artwork

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Custom-blu-ray-setfor-the-Despecialized-Editions/id/18201

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4732 on: January 29, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
The ewok song "Yub Nub" at the end completely removed, replaced with random scenes of people rejoicing on other planets, including a crowd of gungans yelling "weesa win!"

I thought those shots of the other planets was great. It showed that the rebellion was about more than just Luke/Han/Leia. It was about freedom for the whole galaxy. And I even liked the new song, though the kid in me missed Yub Nub.

I have no problem with the new scenes, I just don't like the fact that they removed memorable parts for them.  But at the end of the day, regardless of the version, I still enjoy the movies and always will  :azn:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4733 on: February 03, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »
An interesting argument advocating for Hayden to show up in Ep. VIII or IX:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-anakin-skywalker-should-return-episode-8-968216  I'm not sure what I think about that.  Part of me reflexively cringes at the very notion.  But I also think he makes some good arguments, not the least of which is simply pointing out that the prequels did not fail because of Hayden's acting; they failed because of Lucas' directing of Hayden's (and others') acting.

I also just want to say that I am really looking forward to the next film.  Disney is knocking it out of the park so far.  Love what they are doing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4734 on: February 03, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
Yeah, I think that most of the hate Hayden gets isn't entirely his fault. For starters, he had some terrible dialogue in the prequels to work with lol 'I DON'T LIKE SAND IT GETS EVERYWHERE'

As you say bosk, I cringe to the thought of having any Anakin leftovers of the prequels in the new trilogy but at the same time it would make the whole 9 movie saga come together nicely.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4735 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
Yeah, I think that most of the hate Hayden gets isn't entirely his fault. For starters, he had some terrible dialogue in the prequels to work with lol 'I DON'T LIKE SAND IT GETS EVERYWHERE'

Yup.  And Lucas just isn't a great director anyway.  Sometimes, a great director can actually get a good performance out of a bad line and make it good.  Not Lucas.  So Hayden had two strikes against him that had nothing to do with him. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #4736 on: February 03, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
Honestly, if ANY actor could give a good delivery of "Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that", they deserve an Oscar on that merit alone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4737 on: February 03, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
I will say that I think it's a pretty cool idea to have Anakin's force-ghost pulling Kylo one direction while the Snoke pulls him the other. The other reasons (in the video) didn't hold much weight with me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4738 on: February 03, 2017, 10:02:06 AM »
Honestly, if ANY actor could give a good delivery of "Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that", they deserve an Oscar on that merit alone.
'You brought him here to kill me *chokes Padme*'

Ah, 2005.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

« Reply #4739 on: February 03, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
Actually, just went over it in my head. Not sure about Attack of the Clones, but you know who could have really pulled off Anakin's part in Revenge of the Sith?

Arnold.

Think about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4740 on: February 03, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
*thinks about it*

Yeah, maybe so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #4741 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
Honestly, go through some of his awful lines from Revenge of the Sith and try to imagine Arnold doing them in a very Arnold way. It works!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4742 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
Do you think that Hayden could pull off lines like "Ice to see you!"?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4743 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »
Well he's got fire covered.

Online Adami

« Reply #4744 on: February 03, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »

This ain't a two way road bro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4745 on: February 03, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
 :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4746 on: February 03, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »

GO! Get to the Speeder!

If it bleeds....we can use the Force on It....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4747 on: February 03, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
It appears....that in your anger....you said consider it a divorce...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4748 on: February 03, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
I can totally see him rocking the 'time to kick some ICE' pun.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4749 on: February 03, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »
Anakin, you killed younglings?

"yes, but they were all bad"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4750 on: February 08, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Anakin, you killed younglings?

"yes, but they were all bad"

"Killed 'em. Bigly"
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4751 on: February 08, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
The changes they made on the special editions were atrocious.  I remember watching Empire and there were random lines changed that weren't even bad to begin with.  Han slicing open the tonton to build the shelter, they changed his line....  Really?  Maybe I lost my mind and it was all my imagination though.

Return of the Jedi was the worst.  The ewok song "Yub Nub" at the end completely removed, replaced with random scenes of people rejoicing on other planets, including a crowd of gungans yelling "weesa win!" When I saw that I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth.  I'm not even a purist, I don't mind changes if they improve it. And the singers and dancers in jabba's palace - they took changes with that WAY too far.

Yes, Return of the Jedi was botched the worst! How Lucas took the original ghost Anakin out and replaced it with the Punk Anakin is a mockery to his own movie.. Plus the new Ewok song that replaced yub-nub was not necessary at all.  The new cgi scene and the song in Jabbas palace is atrocious! In fact, there should be a deleted bonus scene where Jabba throws George Lucas to the Rancor pit just for that reason. Plus, the tentacles and pods were a cheesy addition to the Sarlac in the desert.
South park did a funny episode where George Lucas was raping Star Wars, and Indiana Jones.lol!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4752 on: February 08, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
That updated cgi scene in Jabbas palace with the singing and dancing just looks unbelievably out of place.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4753 on: February 08, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
The worst part about him going back and changing things is that he seemed like he couldn't even make up his mind. Like not only do the changes add little to nothing to the movies, but with things like the scream when Luke falls down the pit in cloud city or Han shot first thing, we changed it...and then changed it back...almost like he just has a problem with leaving things alone.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4754 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
I generally don't have problems with the changes to ANH and Empire. Obi Wan's introduction in the blu-ray version is a tragedy though! When he scares the sand people, he sounds like a drunken wreck :facepalm:. I'ts so bad.

Return of the Jedi got the short end of the stick with the special editions. I actually like the new victory celebration song, better than Yub Nub. But everything from Jabba's palace, to Vader shouting NOO when he kill's the Emperor is just so wrong!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:48:09 PM by Polarbear »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4755 on: February 08, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
Disney announced yesterday that Star Wars Land at both Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida and Disneyland Park in California will be built by 2019!!

I figured this would be the timetable for the completion of these new areas since the last Star Wars saga film is to be released in 2019. As a big Disney fan, I'm not nervous at all. Cars Land at Disney California Adventure is a testament on how the Disney Imagineers treat licensed products in the theme parks. The theming and attention to detail in every Disney park i've been too is incredible. I have no doubt that Star Wars Land, when it opens, it going to be one of a kind.

Construction began around last summer in both resorts. Disney's Hollywood Studios is actually having the task of building TWO new themed areas at the same time, one which is Star Wars Land and the other is Toy Story Land.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4756 on: February 08, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
Disney announced yesterday that Star Wars Land at both Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida and Disneyland Park in California will be built by 2019!!

I figured this would be the timetable for the completion of these new areas since the last Star Wars saga film is to be released in 2019. As a big Disney fan, I'm not nervous at all. Cars Land at Disney California Adventure is a testament on how the Disney Imagineers treat licensed products in the theme parks. The theming and attention to detail in every Disney park i've been too is incredible. I have no doubt that Star Wars Land, when it opens, it going to be one of a kind.

Construction began around last summer in both resorts. Disney's Hollywood Studios is actually having the task of building TWO new themed areas at the same time, one which is Star Wars Land and the other is Toy Story Land.

I was just thinking earlier when I read the announcement:  "I remember seeing the construction when I was there in December, which I could see from just a few feet from where I met Accelerando."  :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4757 on: February 08, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
I'm guessing that we'll get a teaser for The Last Jedi in March and then a full blown 3 minute trailer on May 4th.

Principal Photography wrapped about a year ago now didn't it ?

And I heard today that someone - don't recall who - maybe the head of Disney - had seen the whole film in a rough cut.

So a Trailer can't be too far away.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4758 on: February 08, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
Sounds about right.

Online Adami

« Reply #4759 on: February 08, 2017, 05:19:02 PM »
I guess it'll be attached to Guardians, since that's released May 4th (if you count Thursday releases).
fanticide.bandcamp.com