Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 456174 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread -- USE OTHER THREAD FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS
« Reply #3395 on: December 16, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
I'll be seeing it at 7:30pm tomorrow, so roughly only 32.5 hours! :caffeine:

16 hours for me. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread -- USE OTHER THREAD FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS
« Reply #3396 on: December 16, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »
I'm jealous of all my Irish, U.K., European, Australian, and New Zealand friends that get to see it a day ahead of me.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3397 on: December 16, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »
Going to a MIDNIGHT showing tonight !!!

Me too  :metal 6 hours and counting. Also seeing it in IMAX 3D on Friday.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3398 on: December 16, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
HUGE SPOILER

Massive Star Wars spoiler.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3399 on: December 16, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
Star Wars spoiler:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3400 on: December 16, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
Might need to avoid some rather popular places on the internetz in general.  jingle.son is totally bummed that he just got spoiled about something pretty major via Instagram.  He's holding it in, but quite clearly bummed.

So, guess I'll be gettin off FB too for the next couple of days.  Luckily, I don't use the tweeters.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3401 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »
You can infer from the trailers and from the fact that it's likely going to be the same story as the first movie, that someone is going to die. No idea who though. I'd rather not be spoiled on that either. It could be Han, or Finn (god I hope it isn't), or maybe even Kylo...his actor isn't slated to be in VIII, so who knows?

(Not posting in the spoilers thread because it's just speculation. Not actual spoilers.)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3402 on: December 16, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
You can infer from the trailers and from the fact that it's likely going to be the same story as the first movie, that someone is going to die. No idea who though. I'd rather not be spoiled on that either. It could be Han, or Finn (god I hope it isn't), or maybe even Kylo...his actor isn't slated to be in VIII, so who knows?

(Not posting in the spoilers thread because it's just speculation. Not actual spoilers.)

I doubt Rey would be so emotional over Kylo Ren's death

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3403 on: December 16, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
I don't get it, but okay.

Bosky, you're a national treasure.

But not the crappy kind with Nicholas Cage, the good kind like Betty White.

Hey asshole, those movies are great!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3404 on: December 16, 2015, 10:45:51 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: December 16, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »
Bit of a stretch. It's the first 4-5 albums for Metallica, and after the Star Wars PT, people mostly weren't expecting or anticipating more movies until TFA came along, which by all accounts has redeemed it.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #3406 on: December 16, 2015, 11:55:52 PM »
I'm gonna see TFA in a week, how do I avoid spoilers till then? Besides the obvious..
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3407 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »
I don't know what counts as the obvious, but be wary of the kinds of people you have on social media who might feel the need to blab, maybe block some people until you've seen it. Social media altogether is a crapshoot for spoilers.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3408 on: December 17, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »
12.5 hours to go!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3409 on: December 17, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »
Sitting in the theater. 17 minutes to go!
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3410 on: December 17, 2015, 10:01:58 PM »
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

holy fuck

that was fucking incredible
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3411 on: December 18, 2015, 01:55:19 AM »
Got myself tickets for Sunday!  :metal

Can't wait!!

Star Wars Main Theme - Single by Galactic Empire
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #3412 on: December 18, 2015, 02:05:12 AM »
I've literally had dreams about this movie for the past few months and I'm finally gonna see it Monday!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: December 18, 2015, 04:06:28 AM »
I've literally had dreams about this movie for the past few months and I'm finally gonna see it Monday!!

I had a dream the night before I saw it that it was going to be awful. :lol The first half of the movie was some random Empire characters doing paperwork or something, then it was some kind of board game with diagrams. It was quite strange.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3414 on: December 18, 2015, 04:13:20 AM »
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

holy fuck

totes.  i'm definitely going again.  this blows the hind tits off any of the prequels.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3415 on: December 18, 2015, 08:19:54 AM »
Good to hear the positivity!

I have to wait until Monday to see it.   :(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3416 on: December 18, 2015, 09:29:31 AM »
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

holy fuck

totes.  i'm definitely going again.  this blows the hind tits off any of the prequels.

yep. I'm going to take the kiddos on Sunday I think....this movie is the PERFECT transition to the future of STAR WARS......very well done IMO
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: December 18, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
With a new Star Wars movie coming out every year, how long do you guys think it'll take before the hype collapses and/or they drive the series into the ground? Do you think the endless possibilities of the universe will actually be taken advantage of in a way that won't make it seem like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel in 4 years?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:45:55 AM by Implode »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3418 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »
Going to see it again today in the very early afternoon, as it won't be as busy
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online faizoff

« Reply #3419 on: December 18, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
With a new Star Wars movie coming out every year, how long do you guys think it'll take before the hype collapses and/or they drive the series into the ground? Do you think the endless possibilities of the universe will actually be taken advantage of in a way that won't make it seem like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel in 4 years?
Is there one every year? I mean I know Rogue One comes out next year followed by episode 8 which will give us a star wars movie every year up to 2017, are there more standalone movies planned after that?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3420 on: December 18, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
I thought Disney said that their plan was to have spin-off movies in between each of the trilogy movies and then a new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3421 on: December 18, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Yes, that's what they said.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3422 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »
Is there one every year? I mean I know Rogue One comes out next year followed by episode 8 which will give us a star wars movie every year up to 2017, are there more standalone movies planned after that?

I thought Disney said that their plan was to have spin-off movies in between each of the trilogy movies and then a new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future.

Yes, that's what they said.

I think there are so many avenues and possibilities in that universe....so many characters to explore....that they could keep it fresh with some good writing and original ideas.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: December 18, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
The possibilities are indeed there. I hope you're right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3424 on: December 21, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »
To bring discussion back over here, let's do some rankings! From best to worst, my favorite Star Wars movies are as follows:

And also, I think the prequels are objectively lazily written and directed films. That doesn't mean people can't enjoy them, but to say they are as good as or better than the OT is misguided. Also, to say that it's completely opinion-based is unfair to the art of film making. Ask anyone with experience in film or credibility; the overwhelming majority agrees that the prequels are simply not good.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3425 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »
To bring discussion back over here, let's do some rankings! From best to worst, my favorite Star Wars movies are as follows:

And also, I think the prequels are objectively lazily written and directed films. That doesn't mean people can't enjoy them, but to say they are as good as or better than the OT is misguided. Also, to say that it's completely opinion-based is unfair to the art of film making. Ask anyone with experience in film or credibility; the overwhelming majority agrees that the prequels are simply not good.

LOL @ that.

III
I
V
II
VI
IV

I'm thinking that VII will wind up between I and V.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3426 on: December 21, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
Rankings:  What DTF does best.

I refuse to rank TFA after just 4 days and one viewing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3427 on: December 21, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
LOL @ that.

For research purposes, how old are you? And how old were you when you first saw the prequels?

Online Polarbear

« Reply #3428 on: December 21, 2015, 09:09:32 AM »
Okay, let's rank the Star Wars movies then. Im still not 100% sure where TFA will land but, it's most likely third on my list.

Attack of the Clones might be one of the worst movies i have ever seen. It's in the same league as Batman&Robin, Wicker Man(Nicholas Cage) and The Happening. It is just embarrassing. Ep.1 has a few redeemable moments, and ROTS was actually pretty decent.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3429 on: December 21, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
I'm seeing TFA tonight!

Current rankings:

V
IV
VI

III

I

II