Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 455372 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
Reading from my copy of The Secret History of Star Wars:

"Lucas had a lot of issues to deal with in crafting Revenge of the Jedi.  The "Other"  he had made mention of in the second film is the most notorious of the loose ends he had to tie up."
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
BTW, here's a scene from an early draft of Return of the Jedi. There's an extra character in this version, Jerjerrod, who is assigned by the Emperor to keep Vader away while Luke is converted to the Dark Side. The dialog is clunky, but the line at the end shows Lucas has the ability to come up with quotable lines in him somewhere:

VADER'S PRIVATE CHAMER - STAR DESTROYER

The door to the private chamber slides open, and the Dark Lord of the Sith storms into the room.  His voice echoes through the chamber.

VADER
Jerjerrod!

JERJERROD
(V.O.)
it is not necessary to shout, my old friend.

VADER
What is the Emperor doing with my son...

JERJERROD
My lord Vader, the Emperor does not have to answer to you... besides, I don't believe he has your son.  Where did you come by this piece of erroneous information?

VADER
He's been seen at the palace... and that's where I'm going!

JERJERROD
The Emperor would prefer you didn't... you would go against his wishes.  The Rebel attack is about to begin.  You are truly fearless, my old friend.

Vader lifts the Grand Moff by the neck and begins to lift him off the ground with one hand; Jerjerrod gasps for air and struggles to free himself from the Dark Lord's iron grip.

VADER
You are not my friend, bureaucrat.  I will go to the palace, but you will not live to see it.  I no longer wish to be annoyed by your simpering ways.

JERJERROD
The Emperor will destroy you for this.

Vader snaps the man's neck, and he drops to the floor in a heap.

VADER
I think not... your importance has been greatly exaggerated.
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
Besides, when your two main analogies you're going with are Nazi Germany and the Late Republic, trade embargoes of small planets don't exactly measure up to fires in the Reichstag or crossing the Rubicon.

The more I watch the original trilogy, the more it's obvious that the Nazi Germany comparison is far off the mark, or at least a mere surface reading.  Didn't GL say Anakin, and by extension Darth Vader, was inspired by Richard Nixon?

;)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »
There's no denying, however, that a large part of the imagery associated with the Empire is more or less lifted straight from the Nazis.

I have no idea how Anakin is Richard Nixon.  Nixon was an asshole; he wasn't a whiny bitch.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
To that first part: true, what is more evil than a militaristic fascist government?  Honestly I think that's the point though; I feel like Star Wars is a reflection of the struggles of the 1960s, and the Empire is meant to represent how people started to feel like the compromise that once took place between people and their government was being replaced by coercion, and the fear that values of democracy were disappearing in America all the while the people were dividing in a way not seen since the Civil War.  I'll elaborate later because I'm exhausted, but think of it this way: Old Republic = The Grand Old Republic (of course another possibility I've weighed is that this also can be likened to the romanticized Old South, but given the connotations it would not have been "with" the times as much).

To that second statement: :rollin :metalol:

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
Except that virtually every documentary out there (and Lucas) has said that it's based on Greek and Roman mythology. Joseph Campbell, people, Hero With a Thousand Faces.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2010, 01:12:57 AM »
Just watched RotJ and man, they do has some pretty wooden parts. Didn't stop me from watching the ending 3 times though.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »
I think the people complaining about the "wooden" acting and solely blaming the actors don't realize that the director is just as much, if not more, to blame for this.  Every line is scrutinized and changed until the director is happy even so far as in the looping stage... even changing words altogether that were mouthed differently on screen and it's so obvious.  I would expect the actors themselves were probably not 100% happy with the final product but it's what George wanted in the end and that's who I'm most frustrated with.

I still love all of the movies but I know they could have been so much more than what they ended up being.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »
I think another issue is when Star Wars, the originals I mean, came out, Lucas was still somewhat of a n00b and the cast would argue with him and force him to read his own lines until they were changed. Is anyone going to argue with Lucas, who's now one of the biggest directors ever, at this stage in the game? Of course not.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2010, 05:15:46 AM »

I still love all of the movies but I know they could have been so much more than what they ended up being.
Lots of people say this, but then when Lucas tries to come out with a newer version to get it closer to his vision, they get pissed off. He can't change actors, no matter if it's 30 years or 10 years later. When the guy puts up a large part of the money (which he definitely did for ESB and ROTJ) he can do whatever he wants, but even then he was hugely limited because of time constraints... More on this later, I have to go to school.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »
Except that virtually every documentary out there (and Lucas) has said that it's based on Greek and Roman mythology. Joseph Campbell, people, Hero With a Thousand Faces.

That accounts for Luke's journey to be sure.  I fail to see any Greco-Roman mythology other than that though.

Although I think the point is that the classical myths that we've enjoyed since time was time could be seen also in the struggles of a dividing country.  I think that's what made this interpretation so powerful.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:27 PM »
New movie will be like this:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2010, 09:57:39 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »

That blew.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2010, 04:56:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOBZlMovZW4

Suck on that Photoshop.

That blew my mind.
I like how he put color strips on the side for later use with the dropper tool. Very clever.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-ixeq6M5A

Stormtrooper Dance Challenge: You download the video and add the music and sound effects. Humorous potential, this has.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #262 on: November 15, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-ixeq6M5A

Stormtrooper Dance Challenge: You download the video and add the music and sound effects. Humorous potential, this has.

Out of all the ones I've put to it so far, starting Bad Devil by Devin Townsend at 21 seconds into the song at the start of the video is by far the best :metalol:
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »

What is even the POINT of something like this?  :facepalm:

Offline ehra

« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105460-Internet-Rescues-Bullied-First-Grade-Girl

Katie is a first-grader in Chicago, Illinois. Her mother took her back-to-school shopping a few months ago, and lil' Katie picked out a bunch of Star Wars swag, including a matching backpack and water bottle. Last week, Katie came home and asked her mother for a different water bottle. Mom sensed something wasn't right, and pressed the issue. That's when Katie began to cry, saying "The first grade boys are teasing me at lunch because I have a Star Wars water bottle. They say it's only for boys. Every day they make fun of me for drinking out of it. I want them to stop, so I'll just bring a pink water bottle."

Mom Carrie blogged about the incident on November 15th, and by the 18th the internet had exploded with a resounding, "oh, HELL no." Twitter messages of support (#MayTheForceBeWithKatie) have been zipping around ever since. Goldman's blog has received over 1,200 comments, and she has updated the original post assuring readers that "Katie is reading all of them." In a coup de grace that is nearly to cute for words, Goldman's update also said, "today she wore a Star Wars shirt to school and said to me, 'Tell the people about it!!!!'"

Ultimately, Katie has been invited to the Chicago premiere of a Clone Wars film by its Yoda, Tom Kane. She also received a Star Wars sketch card of herself, holding a lightsaber, drawn by artist Scott Zirkel. Star Wars toys and paraphernalia have been offered up in droves; the Goldman family requests that these toys be instead sent to local children's hospitals.

:tup

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #265 on: November 19, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »
Awesome stuff. Screw You first grade boys!

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Online Adami

« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2010, 04:18:01 PM »

That...............I..................boner.................oh god.................thank you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »
I saw a version of that pic on dorkly.com and felt duty bound to share it over here.

I normally find tatoos repulsive, but that swimsuit and figure are great enough to cause an exception.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »

Okay guys, let's take bets: how many pages before this .gif is posted yet again?

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
BTW, here's a scene from an early draft of Return of the Jedi. There's an extra character in this version, Jerjerrod, who is assigned by the Emperor to keep Vader away while Luke is converted to the Dark Side. The dialog is clunky, but the line at the end shows Lucas has the ability to come up with quotable lines in him somewhere:

VADER'S PRIVATE CHAMER - STAR DESTROYER

The door to the private chamber slides open, and the Dark Lord of the Sith storms into the room.  His voice echoes through the chamber.

VADER
Jerjerrod!

JERJERROD
(V.O.)
it is not necessary to shout, my old friend.

VADER
What is the Emperor doing with my son...

JERJERROD
My lord Vader, the Emperor does not have to answer to you... besides, I don't believe he has your son.  Where did you come by this piece of erroneous information?

VADER
He's been seen at the palace... and that's where I'm going!

JERJERROD
The Emperor would prefer you didn't... you would go against his wishes.  The Rebel attack is about to begin.  You are truly fearless, my old friend.

Vader lifts the Grand Moff by the neck and begins to lift him off the ground with one hand; Jerjerrod gasps for air and struggles to free himself from the Dark Lord's iron grip.

VADER
You are not my friend, bureaucrat.  I will go to the palace, but you will not live to see it.  I no longer wish to be annoyed by your simpering ways.

JERJERROD
The Emperor will destroy you for this.

Vader snaps the man's neck, and he drops to the floor in a heap.

VADER
I think not... your importance has been greatly exaggerated.

Jerjerrod is in the movie, just not to the same extent.  He is only in the opening scene.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:45 PM »

<br />

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
moar plz

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2010, 07:55:10 AM »
Where are you getting these Timmy?
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »
Where are you getting these Timmy?
I just read dorkly.com regularly and those star wars swimsuit things have come up twice recently. They have both been so spectacular that I have posted them here!!
<br />

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #279 on: December 18, 2010, 07:20:12 AM »
I've made a lot of stupid mistakes in my life, but the dumbest thing I have ever done was buying the "Full Screen" editions of the Original Trilogy.... twice.