Author Topic: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!  (Read 27266 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
Awesome to see Ki on here, though I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't mention the title track in the favorites.  (My personal best-loved Devy song)  I also ought to mention how well beautifully written these updates are, to the point where it kind of makes me ashamed of how dry mine are.  Great update! 

Thanks bud!  Least I can do.  Plus its a good way for me to practice my writing skills, which are never as sharp as I want them to be.

I was going to include Ki, but I was up to a few too many "favorite songs" for that album, and "Ki" barely misses the cut.  I've never considered it one of the top 3 on the album like a lot of Devy fans do, but it is fucking good.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
MINDCRIME
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
Glad to see Houses on there. That album has been getting a lot of spins from me lately since it's summer

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »
Really good selections there, Matt. Mindcrime is the only QR album I can dig, Digital Ash is a beautiful record, and Blackfield II is really nice as well.

I also echo Seth's sentiments on your descriptions. They're very well-written, and you describe the sounds of the albums very well. The description for Ki made me very interested in the album.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
O:M is amazing, and great to see some love for Led Zeppelin, even if its not my favourite album. Fantastic band.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
Really good selections there, Matt. Mindcrime is the only QR album I can dig, Digital Ash is a beautiful record, and Blackfield II is really nice as well.

I also echo Seth's sentiments on your descriptions. They're very well-written, and you describe the sounds of the albums very well. The description for Ki made me very interested in the album.

THEN LISTEN TO IT RIGHT NOW YOU DUCK

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »
Ki is so good. SO GOOD.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
I would say HotH is the most under-rated of the Zeppelin catalogue.  The Rain Song is pure bliss.  The couple of duds unfortunately pull it down for me personally.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
matt

you

are

so

slow

at

this
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »
Were we all just Punk'd?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »
Sorry guys!  Been a bit busy this week.  I'll try another double-update tonight. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Okay, NOW its double-update time!

32. Mew-No More Stories
If there was an album that quintessentially embodied Mew's sound, it would be this one.  You have your poppy tunes like "Beach," "Hawaii," and "Tricks of the Trade," your ethereal dreamscapes like "Silas the Magic Car," progressive, rhythmic weirdness like "Introducing Palace Players," and epic anthems like "Sometimes Life Isn't Easy."  The album can take a while to warm up to, especially with the jarring opener "New Terrain," but when you finally do ease yourself into it, its a hell of an experience.  I love how atmospheric and "warm" the album feels as well, even during its more jarring movements.  If you haven't heard Mew, I urge you to do so, and this would probably be the best starting point, even if it isn't my favorite album by them.
Favorite songs: "Beach," "Tricks of the Trade," "Silas the Magic Car," "Introducing Palace Players," "Sometimes Life Isn't Easy"

31. Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse
SO BRUTAL SO POWAH!  :metal :metal :metal  Seriously, I turn into *that* metalhead guy who starts acting all obnoxious and rocks the fuck out when I crank this album as loud as I can.  ON SHINY BLUE VINYL.  *waits for the crowd to stand in awe of its majesticness*  Yeah, I hate to sound like a vinyl snob, but its the best way to listen to the album.  It feels a lot more...full...on vinyl, if that makes sense, and adds to the atmosphere of the album, like a bit of background ambient noise that doesn't actually make its presence audible...I dunno man, its hard to describe, but it only serves to make the heavy bits heavier and the acoustic parts creepier, which is appropriate given the subject matter of the story.  This is THE album that I really didn't see all that much to love in it until hearing it on vinyl.  Again, I know I sound like a snob or Quadrochosis, but the album made me appreciate Opeth at their most brutal, and I probably would have kept passing on it (save for "When") had I not picked up the vinyl on a whim.  Its just fucking GOOD.
Favorite songs: "April Ethereal," "When," "Credence," "Karma," "Epilogue"

30. Muse-Absolution
I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Muse album now.  Those crafty bastards had the stones to make three perfect albums between 2001 and 2006 and its hard to figure out which one I like most.  So yeah, this is a concept album (ANOTHER ONE!) about the end of the world, basically, and it fucking rocks.  "Apocalypse Please" sets the tone perfectly as a jarring call-to-arms that I wish they'd play live more often.  From there on its a lot of typical Museiness, a sort of "stand up and go for it" kind of mentality that applies to lots of young people and conspiracy theorists that inspire Matt Bellamy.  "Butterflies and Hurricanes" captures that mood perfectly, while the ballads are sort of anguished, lovesick cries whose characters want someone to hold during their last moments, and its all quite beautiful considering the grim subject matter.  There are also some more dark sides to the end of the world, but its the wide variety of styles and emotions that make this album succeed right now above the other two Muse masterpieces.
Favorite songs: "Hysteria," "Butterflies & Hurricanes," "Apocalypse Please," "Stockholm Syndrome," "Endlessly," "Falling Away With You"

29. Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Iron Maiden are, at least in my opinion, an odd band.  They are renowned the world over as one of the great metal bands, yet in looking at all their albums, there's usually at least one or two songs that are so bad they stop the album from really deserving the kind of praise Maiden regularly gets.  Well, there are two exceptions: A Matter of Life and Death and Powerslave.  I think my favorite aspect of this album, save "Rime," is that there are very few typical Maiden lyrics.  Sure you still have songs about wars and old literary legends, but it feels a lot more honest, thanks mostly to Bruce Dickinson's best performance on a "classic" Maiden album.  His voice is both operatic and snarly, and he's honestly great at pouring his soul into what he's singing.  I mean, tell me the part after the creepy interlude in "Rime" doesn't make your hair stand on end when he starts singing.  I also find the music the most interesting out of any Maiden album.  Plus, its got my favorite Maiden song and the one that really made me give them a chance: "Powerslave."  From the egyptian themed music and metaphorical lyrics (Maiden's best, in my opinion), to the amazing instrumental section that breaks away from the trading solo shred of most of their songs, its undoubtedly the highlight. 
Favorite songs: "Powerslave," "Aces High," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Flash of the Blade," "Two Minutes to Midnight"

28. Marillion-Clutching at Straws
MORE concept albums?  Jesus Christ Matthew don't you listen to anything else?  Well, the thing is, as I'm sure I've mentioned, I love good concept albums, and in high school I couldn't get enough of them.  So naturally, since Marillion and DT were my introductions into the world of modern music and prog, I found this album, and it really made me appreciate Fish.  I mean yeah, I had heard Misplaced Childhood and Script for a Jester's Tear but I never heard anything that could make me a staunch Fish-supporter.  This album actually made me think again.  Fish's lyrics are poetic and artsy, but never cross the line into pretentiousness or insincerity the way a lot of art rock/indie rock bands do.  And they're really sad.  Well, the concept's about a bunch of people at a bar sharing their stories as they wallow in self-pity because they know most of their problems are their own fault so yeah, its gonna be sad.  The only upbeat reprieve is "Incommunicado," which makes it even more depressing because it makes the narrator seem like a jerk when the song is sandwiched in the middle of a lot of depressing tales.  So its an emotional powerhouse, no doubt about that.  To add to the sadness, making this album tore Fish away from the band, but--silver linings and all that--it allowed Steve Hogarth to take the reins, which was a much better move for the band as far as I'm concerned.
Favorite songs: "Sugar Mice," "Warm Wet Circles," "White Russian," "The Last Straw," "Torch Song"

27. Eisley-Room Noises
Oh man look at all this heavy and/or depressing and/or deep music HERE HAVE SOME HAPPY!  CAN WE BE FRIENDS?  LETS GO PLAY IN THE WOODS I KNOW THIS REALLY COOL SPOT WHERE I THINK YOU CAN SEE A FAERIE IN THE KNOT OF THIS TREE!  That's kinda the attitude Room Noises has, and its downright infectious.  You can't help but heave a happy sigh after its done.  Its not my favorite Eisley album anymore, but it would deserve a place even if its better, The Valley was considered eligible for entry in this list, because of its power to put you in a happy mood almost instantly.
Favorite songs: "Memories," "Brightly Wound," "Trolley Wood," "One Day I Slowly Floated Away," "Telescope Eyes"

26. Yes-The Yes Album
Yes I like it better than Close to the Edge.  Yes "Starship Trooper" is my favorite Yes song.  Deal with it.
Favorite songs: "Starship Trooper," "Yours is No Disgrace," "I've Seen All Good People," "The Clap," "Perpetual Change"

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »
Really good stuff here, Matt. My Arms, Your Hearse has moved up a lot in my Opeth favorites recently. Not sure why, but its beauty and melancholy really speaks to me a lot more now than it did in the past. I love me some Mew and Muse on occasion. Both great albums.

I don't get the big deal about Eisley. I listened to The Valley all the way through several times and Room Noises twice, and they don't strike me as anything more than a very ordinary, mostly forgettable indie pop band (or whatever genre you wanna put them in). That's just me, though.

Looking forward to the rest. Excellent descriptions as always.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
I don't get the big deal about Eisley. I listened to The Valley all the way through several times and Room Noises twice, and they don't strike me as anything more than a very ordinary, mostly forgettable indie pop band (or whatever genre you wanna put them in). That's just me, though.

no u
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »

no u

Personal attack.

Reported.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
CLUTCHING AT STRAWS
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
You can't help but heave a happy sigh after its done.

Watch me. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
I played the cassette of Clutching at Straws for a summer straight.  Great pick Matt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »
Great choices! I agree about that part after the build up of Rime, one of my favourite moments in music.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »
Yay, Eisley! :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Although, you didn't include Lost At Sea in your favorite songs. WTF?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:02 AM »
Yay, Eisley! :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Although, you didn't include Lost At Sea in your favorite songs. WTF?

Yeah, but, like, almost every song on that album is my favorite song.  That would have been my sixth pick though.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 06:16:21 AM »
Fair enough. Every song on Room Noises is a perfect 10 except for Just Like We Do. Lost At Sea is just....more than a 10 for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:07 AM »
Fair enough. Every song on Room Noises is a perfect 10 except for Just Like We Do. Lost At Sea is just....more than a 10 for me.

Dude wtf.
Just Like We Do is the best song on the whole album, and quite possibly their best song.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2011, 06:26:14 AM »
I'm speechless. I honestly don't know how to respond to that. I think you must be trolling me. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2011, 06:35:31 AM »
I'm not actually, it is and has always been my favorite from Room Noises, by quite a bit actually. :P
I mean, I love the rest, but Just Like We Do is just.. special.  :heart

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2011, 06:40:28 AM »
Actually, now that you mention it, this all seems very familiar. I think we've had this conversation at some point in the past. :lol

But anyway, I do like the song. It's good. Just seems to be a slight dud amidst a group of winners.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2011, 04:54:24 AM »
You too... the earth isn't turning any slower.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
can we just go onto the next people and then these guys can do the writeups and just be put in place behind the next 2?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »
Hey guys.

I think...I think Matt must has a life or something.

What a fucking loser.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »
Nah, they're probably just lazy.  :neverusethis:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
I've been spending the past week getting ready to move in and haven't had the time to do the next writeups.  Sorry guys.  I'll get there!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
Don't worry :)