Author Topic: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!  (Read 27267 times)

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Re: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
Nice list so far. DON'T RUIN IT!!!!!!!
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
I think that makes Springsteen more appealing to me then, full solo acoustic music by him. Haven't heard that kind of him yet. Just stuff with The E-Street Band, while it's all ok, it's just not his defining side.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »
Moar plz.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
Nebaska is awesome and the songs you mentioned are the best songs on the album. Good on you, sir.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 02:40:33 AM »
  It took me awhile before I gave this album a proper listen, mostly because my parents cite it as the moment Springsteen got "weird and depressing."  Well a year or so ago I realized that hey, I like weird and depressing music, and my parents and I don't agree a lot about music anyways, let's give it a real chance. 
This is interesting to me. While I haven't listened to nearly enough of Springsteen's music to have a solid opinion, I always thought his songs were fairly dark when it came to lyrics.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »
Well a lot of his songs before then could fairly dark, lyrically (Meeting Across the River, Jungleland, and Badlands, for example), but the music of Nebraska fits the mood even more.  Remember, Springsteen's career was built around singing songs to appeal to the lower class and those who know what a hell-hole New Jersey is.  :)

Offline jag66

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
Well a lot of his songs before then could fairly dark, lyrically (Meeting Across the River, Jungleland, and Badlands, for example), but the music of Nebraska fits the mood even more.  Remember, Springsteen's career was built around singing songs to appeal to the lower class and those who know what a hell-hole New Jersey is.  :)

I love the boss, but never got into this album: Don't think the music is bad by any stretch, i'm just rarely ever in the mood to appreciate it.

Some good albums so far, but as a hipster, you are wrong about the Arcade Fire  :smiley:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
Jeez, I went away to Sonisphere for 4 days, and there was only one update in that time?

I am disappoint.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »
K, Listening to Nebraska right now. Holy shit.

Up to Mansion On The Hill.
edit: Man over album, man over. Great album!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:41:36 PM by SPNKr »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »
Matt, I've waited all I can stands and I can't stands no more!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
Ask and ye shall never receive.

41. Yes-Close to the Edge

Though I don't really associate myself with being a "prog fan" anymore since I'm not searching the Internet for every new prog album I can get my hands on, its still a big part of my listening diet.  Even classic prog, which I've mostly fallen out of love with, can still grab me.  This album is one of the few that still do.  It was Yes' most ambitious work at the time of its recording: 3 songs of completely different styles, all at the same excellent level of quality.  I think my favorite part of the album is Steve Howe.  Three songs are enough for me to respect him as one of my favorite guitarists.  He has the perfect tone for this sort of stuff.  The really wonderful thing about this album is that it sounds like a product of the 70s prog scene, but it doesn't sound "dated" the way an album like Foxtrot does. 
Favorite songs: All of them.  Not like you have a lot to choose from :P

40. The Dear Hunter-Act III: Life and Death

The Dear Hunter, I've always felt, excels at taking the mood and style of 70s prog and turn-of-the-century "carnie music" (for lack of a better descriptor) and making it sound modern, catchy, and good.  This album is the best of their efforts so far because of how they take the sound from their first two albums, made everything more concise, a bit heavier, and Casey's voice grew more powerful and emotional.  The change in tone is fitting, as the album is meant to be taking place during World War I, so naturally the tone of the album is darker than its predecessor was for the most part.  There aren't any songs like "the Lake and the River" or "The Oracles on the Delphi Express."  There are some "lighter" songs like "Saved," "Father," and "Life and Death," which really let the band's chops for writing excellent ballads shine through.  The first time I heard this album I was singing all these little melodies from it for the rest of the day.  It was just the best possible introduction to the band and it remains my favorite.
Favorite Songs: He Said He Had a Story, Mustard Gas, Life and Death, Saved, The Poison Woman, In Cauda Venenum

39. Alex Mauer-Dead Mother Goose

Thank Sonatafanica for this one.  I followed his top 15 chiptune artists thread, and checked out almost every artist he recommended sooner or later.  One of the "sooners" was Alex Mauer (whose album Antarctica I already had and never listened to).  Chris gave me Dead Mother Goose to start me off.  What I liked most, besides recognizing most of the songs from episodes of Penny Arcade TV, was how light and whimsical the album was, and how the album sounded like it belonged in the menus of an NES game.  Plus they're catchy as hell.  Mauer is somewhat of an odd chiptune bird compared to contemporaries like Nullsleep, Animal Style or Anamanaguchi, but he's definitely my favorite for reasons this album will make clear. 
Favorite songs: Fairy Dawn, Princess, Death, Something Orange, Moonstar

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
Great to see CTTE honored on your list. 

It's one of those albums that
A. never fails to impress me, and
B. is so enveloping/well orchestrated, that I can't really be doing anything else while listening; just can't divert my attention away. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
I totally agree with you that CttE doesn't sound dated. Every time I listen to it, I can't believe how fresh it sounds, over 30 years after it was released.

Also...He Said He Had a Story is the greatest song ever.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
don't know 39 but the other 2 albums are fucking phenomenal
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »
HELL YEAH ACT III

Although it's 39 places too low.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
Predictable comment from Rich is predictable :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »
snide remark from drew is snide
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »
post from zack is post

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
CTTE and Act III are cool albums. I can't get into chiptune music no matter how hard I try.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »
CTTE is great.   I can't get into chiptune music no matter how hard I try.

I'd totally agree with you, except I have not found a band that's gotten me into indie.  Your recommendations, in terms that genre that would suit a prog nut/wannabe jazz snob?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »
CTTE is great.   I can't get into chiptune music no matter how hard I try.

I'd totally agree with you, except I have not found a band that's gotten me into indie.  Your recommendations, in terms that genre that would suit a prog nut/wannabe jazz snob?
I don't listen to very much indie, to be honest  :lol But I enthusiastically recommend Bright Eyes and Florence + the Machine. :)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
Close to the Edge is a great album :)

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
I don't listen to very much indie, to be honest
Should we start calling you the Giant Goth?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:33 PM »
I don't listen to very much indie, to be honest
Should we start calling you the Giant Goth?
I'd suggest LuvinBobbySmith.

(Though I do enjoy The Cure.  Or the music videos of them I saw on the You Tube.)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »
The Giant Goth? That's acceptable, I guess. OH YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR LABELS.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 11:23:39 PM »
The Giant Goth? That's acceptable, I guess. OH YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR LABELS.

But without labels, how are we to make boorish presumptions about other people based on a couple visible characteristics? 

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 11:25:28 PM »
Well, you've got me there.

Carry on.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »

Carry on.

Um, well, since there isn't another update until tomorrow, do you intend joining the top 50 albums wait-list?  It would be of interest to see what are yours. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2011, 11:35:17 PM »

Carry on.

Um, well, since there isn't another update until tomorrow, do you intend joining the top 50 albums wait-list?  It would be of interest to see what are yours. 
As if we'd have heard of any of them.  And now that he's a Giant Goth, too, the list would be TOO FUCKING SCARY to even glimpse!

But I'd like to see your list too, that's so Raven!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
I've thought about making a list, but if I do compile one, it won't be for awhile.

I'm sure you'd all follow it with baited breath.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Act III is t3h awesome.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
lol @ u gais 4 not lisnin 2 alx maur

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
UPDATE-O-RAMARAMABANANANANAWOOOOOOOOCOCACOBANA

38. Blackfield-Blackfield II
The best word to describe this album is "sad."  Other good words would be "despair," "hopelessness," "melancholy," "nostalgic," and "beautiful."  Pop songwriting has been a great strength of Steven Wilson's, and his is the name most associate with Blackfield, but Aviv Geffen is not to be outdone here.  Both styles of songwriting complement each other surprisingly well on this album, unlike Welcome to My DNA, where "Waiting" was obviously a Steven Wilson song.  On BFII, you can't really identify them without consulting the liner notes, which kind of gives it more of a "band" feel, if that makes sense, while DNA in comparison is like an Aviv solo album with Steven Wilson as a guest musician.  Rambling aside, the two make a great team, and the songs on this release stand up to the best Porcupine Tree songs (can't comment on Aviv's other work.  I've never been the biggest fan of his voice).  Every song is great, and the album flows nicely.  Its just perfect, which can be said for almost every album on this list.  :P
Favorite songs: "My Gift of Silence," "1000 People," "Once," "End of the World," "Miss U," aw heck listen to 'em all!

37. Queensryche-Operation: Mindcrime
In b4 all the "indie kids" saying "lolqueensryche."  I know its cool to hate on them, and with the release of their most recent material I can understand why (especially with the horrid sequel to this album).  First of all, I've always had a soft spot for concept albums and rock operas.  The artform seemed kind of dead in the 80s, with Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden delivering subpar examples.  But for some reason, Queensryche was able to refine the mediocre songwriting on their earlier albums, making them sound more like songs, while still keeping a lot of the prog-rock tendencies from those same albums.  The result is a fun, rocking, and sympathetic journey.  This album is one of the few where the artist really lets the listener connect with the protagonist of the story.  In this case, Nicky.  He's suffering from addiction, he's disillusioned with the way the world is, he's in love, and he's become captivated with bold new ideas.  All are themes that can connect with young people.  But its in the way that these traits are subverted and manipulated by the villainous Dr. X that make the heroes' fall that comes with rock operas really resonate with the listener.  It feels more like a filmable story than almost any other rock opera to date, excluding the two by the Who that were made into movies.  This is the band's highest moment, and a high point for progressive rock and metal in general.
Favorite songs: "Suite Sister Mary," "Speak," "Spreading the Disease," "Eyes of a Stranger," "Revolution Calling"

36. Anamanaguchi-Power Supply
w00t, m04r ch1p7un35!!!!1  50 r0ck1n6 n 3xc171n6!  u c4n7 b 54d 4b0u7 n37h1n6 4f73r h34r1n6 7h15 4lbum!!!!!!1
*ahem* Anyways, this is my favorite chiptune album.  I use the word "album" loosely since its only 20 minutes, but its billed as an album, not an EP, so that's what it is, dangit!  This album is guaranteed to put you in a good mood no matter what.  Its the best reason why I like this album.  In a sea of depressing, or thought-provoking, or challenging, or heavy music, sometimes you just want to listen to something cheerful, and Anamanaguchi is one of the bands that I look to first.
Favorite songs: "Helix Nebula," "Fast Turtle," "Power Supply," "Airbase"

35. Bright Eyes-Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
Another submission you can thank Sonatafanica for.  This was my first Bright Eyes album and, honestly, probably the weirdest starting album for a band, considering they're known for folky, indie stuff with liberal usage of the word "goddamn."  Still, it took a while to really grow on me, but I've listened to this album enough to the point where I really feel its a masterpiece.  The sound is a combination of Oberst's great folky songwriting capabilities, but supercharged with electronic sounds and instruments, grooves, and more death and melancholy than the typical Bright Eyes album.  I think my favorite part is the attention placed on Oberst's vocals.  He's not the best vocalist in the world, but if someone were to hold a "greatest popular music lyricist," he would certainly be up there.  His vocals are the clearest in the mix, never suffering from the problem of "what's he saying there?" that you get with a lot of rock artists.  Conor makes it pretty clear that the lyrics are important enough that he makes them as clear to the listener as he can.  And what lyrics they are!  It would be a shame to ignore all the care he puts into them and making sure they stand out.  Any Bright Eyes album is really essential if you like good lyrics, but obviously, I'm recommending this one because the music is the best and most unique out of all of them.
Favorite Songs: "Take it Easy (Love Nothing)," "Hit the Switch," "Easy/Lucky/Free," "Ship in a Bottle," "Down In a Rabbit Hole," "Gold Mine Gutted"

34. Led Zeppelin-Houses of the Holy
Oh classic rock, how I've grown mostly sick of thee since middle school.  Thank God Zeppelin paid so much attention to their albums and never pushed singles, and Houses is the best.  Yeah yeah, I know everyone will say Physical Graffiti or IV, but those people, like those who say Funeral is the best Arcade Fire album, are dead wrong.  Its bluesy, its folksy, its fun, its got a fair bit of experimental stuff, and it simply rocks.  Yes, I know the two that are usually considered fan favorites have those qualities as well, but those always felt like there was filler in there.  Houses, on the other hand, doesn't.  All fantastic songs from start to finish.  Plus, it has their best song: "The Ocean."  So I consider it the definitive Zeppelin album, as well as one of the definitive "listening to in the car on a hot summer day" albums.
Favorite Songs: "The Ocean," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "The Song Remains the Same," "No Quarter"

33. The Devin Townsend Project-Ki
I can understand why lots of people didn't like this album when it was released.  There are very few standout hooks, it was mostly clean and acoustic, and there were no roaring, out-of-control metal moments.  Devin had never released anything like it, and for this to be the album following his post-Ziltoid hiatus was probably a bit of a shock to his fans.  But I love, particularly because of that last point I mentioned: no roaring, out-of-control metal moments.  Oh sure, he turns the distortion on for "Disruptr," "Gato," and "Heaven Send," but even those moments still feel like he's exerting control over it, and what we hear is just the tiniest drop of a whole ocean of anger beneath the music.  The whole album gives off this vibe of uncomfortable restraint.  It makes you feel uneasy, and for an album to really capture such a distinct mood like Ki does is a great artistic achievement.  Only with the euphoric, cathartic release of "Ki" is where some kind of contentment comes through, only to be crushed and subdued again with the last two haunting songs.  Its just chilling, but the whole sound of the album is strangely warm and bare.  There's just nothing else like it.
Favorite songs: "Terminal," "Heaven Send," "Disruptr," "Trainfire," "Demon League," "Coast"

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
Pretty awesome update right there!! :tup

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Awesome to see Ki on here, though I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't mention the title track in the favorites.  (My personal best-loved Devy song)  I also ought to mention how well beautifully written these updates are, to the point where it kind of makes me ashamed of how dry mine are.  Great update!