Author Topic: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!  (Read 27265 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: Skydivingninja's Top 50 Albums v. Not this crap again!
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
I've been spending the past week getting ready to move in and haven't had the time to do the next writeups.  Sorry guys.  I'll get there!
How the fuck is MOVING more important than a Top 50 List on the internet?!

Get your priorities straight, Mister!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2011, 08:41:14 AM »
Too bad I started following the thread this late.

A lot of great albums in there.  :metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

For once Hayden makes a worthwhile post.

25. Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory
Yeah yeah I know it hasn't been cool to like this band ever since Sonata and Zander came along with their Conor Oberst and their Emilie Autumns and their Sarah Fimms and their Casey James and the Staypuft Kids.  Unfortunately they also had to be cool dudes so everyone had to start listening exclusively to that kind of music and forsake prog rock/metal altogether, especially Dream Theater (j/k dudes u know i luv u).  Real point is, as much as my music listening habits have changed since high school, I can still put this album on and a big smile will come across my face and last for eighty minutes.  This album singlehandedly changed my thoughts towards music.  Everything that came out after the 80s was no longer trite trash or any other elitist term I would have used to describe it.  Suddenly music became more like a treasure hunt, and it eventually led me to DTF, which allowed me to discover all kinds of new amazing stuff that I would have never heard of otherwise.  But lets talk about the album a bit: its fucking good.  Everything flows together, there's an interesting concept, the instrumental sections are all varied and unique, much like the instrumental section of its predecessor: "Metropolis pt. 1."  Nothing here feels formulaic, and after being a bit disillusioned with Dream Theater after remembering train wrecks like Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos this is an album that gives me hope that DT can rediscover this melodic, unpredictable, rocking side again.
Favorite songs: "Home," "Overture 1928," "The Spirit Carries On," "Strange Deja Vu," "Fatal Tragedy," "Beyond This Life"

24. The Who-Quadrophenia
Yet another amazing concept album (have you figured out that I like them yet?).  This album, I learned, has a reputation of being the diehard Who fan's "best album" while all the critics are busy smileing over Who's Next.  For the longest time, I couldn't see what made it so much better than Tommy, but eventually I came around.  Its grand and cinematic like you'd expect a concept album to be, but everything just seems so neat and perfect and memorable.  The concept's pretty cool as well, and gets the best in-depth look at teenage angst.  Way better than all the Nirvana and All Time Low that angsty teenagers listen to(remember that bit of elitism I mentioned earlier? :P). 
Favorite songs: "The Real Me," "The Punk and the Godfather," "I've Had Enough," "I'm One," "Sea and Sand," "Doctor Jimmy"

23. Rush-Power Windows
First things first: Rush are objectively the greatest band ever.  Okay?  Moving on.  Power Windows is their best effort of the "synth rock" phase from '82 to '87.  Its got synths galore, which Geddy was all about, and they're utilized really well, even if the overall sound is a bit dated by modern standards.  But it still really rocks, which is something its two predecessors missed out on.  Those two albums are great, don't get me wrong, but this album showed Rush getting back to rocking a bit more with songs like "The Big Money," "Manhattan Project," and "Marathon."  The album's pretty uplifting as well.  Lots of themes of escape and rising above undesirable circumstances.  Its overfilling with emotion and its pretty much perfect.
Favorite songs: All of them

22. Peter Gabriel-Peter Gabriel III (aka Melt)
People who rant about how much better Genesis was with Peter Gabriel should stop it.  First, because they're old and they should just accept that it happened and enjoy the old records (and the Collins ones) for what they are.  Second, because Peter Gabriel going solo was the best decision for both bands.  Genesis put out their best album after he left, and Gabriel began a solo career that can put most musicians to shame.  The first two are a bit iffy and play around with a lot of different styles (I has a song in the style of barbershop quartet!) but III is where Gabriel takes his mad, inventive brain and began incorporating world music into dark-colored pop music.  It really is a killer combination, and it feels like the album's taking place in some kind of asylum.  Yet for the most part the music is very accessible.  Of course, special mention must be made of Gabriel's voice.  Its powerful, soulful, and has such a unique tone to it that its impossible to replicate.  One of the greatest pop artists ever, and this album started his streak of great albums.

21. Radiohead-Kid A
I didn't get this album for the longest time.  It literally took me years before I listened to it and it finally clicked.  Its wacky and a bit out there (and you might need some weed to REALLY appreciate it) but when its unique electronic soundscape clicks with you, it really clicks.  Another perfect album, but its something I can't listen to in pieces.  It demands to be listened to from start to finish, which as far as I'm concerned is one of the best qualities an album can have.  I wish I had more to say about what I liked musically but I really can't.  You just have to listen for yourself.  Just remember to be patient.

20. Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
Do I need to explain why I like this?  Its Dark Side of the Fucking Moon!  Overrated?  No.  Over-talked-about, yes.  Its not God's gift to rock music as its become known as, but its damn close, more like God's stocking stuffer for rock music.  There's a reason its met to such high acclaim, and that's because of the perfect combination of atmosphere, songwriting, and high concept associated with forward-thinking art. 
Favorite songs: Time, Us and Them, Great Gig in the Sky, Breathe, Brain Damage, Eclipse

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »
Nice seeing those Radiohead and Pink Floyd albums!! :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
gross dream theatre

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
Rush Power Windows.  I just came.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
Overrated?  No.  ...... Its not God's gift to rock music as its become known as

Doesn't that technically make it overrated?  :lol

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
 :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »
Do another update now

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

Shut up and go smoke some weed or whatever it is you do for fun.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
 :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »
Nice updates!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37:04 AM »

Shut up and go smoke some weed or whatever it is you do for fun.

Not to be a smartass, but...I'm pretty sure you got it right the first time.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »
Shut up and go to McDonalds while being wrong about things.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
Dark side, Kid A, Power windows and Scenes are incredible choices.  :tup

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
MOAR

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline Ħ

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:32 AM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2011, 01:11:37 AM »
Another one of these threads that will never get finished?
I am shocked.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
lol

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
-.-

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
Hey guys I managed to update on time!

19. Marillion-Marbles
One of the first albums that got me into prog/post-1990 music in general.  This album is the reason why H-era is better than Fish.  Actually, let me rephrase that, "Neverland" is the sole reason why H-era is better than Fish.  The rest is just gravy.  "Neverland," on the other hand, is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.  Listening to it is like drifting on a cloud, and the way Hogarth pours emotion into his vocals is tearjerking.  The fact that his wife divorced him after that album and before Somewhere Else makes it all even sadder.  I suppose I should talk about the rest of the album, which doesn't have a bad song on it.  They're all very atmospheric, keeping a sort of Pink Floyd/Porcupine Tree prog sense about them mixed with Radiohead stylings.  It also gets pretty dark in places for Marillion, such as songs like "Ocean Cloud," "Invisible Man," "Angelina," and "The Only Unforgivable Thing."  But its all incredibly beautiful, especially "Neverland," which is one of my top ten favorite songs ever.  Have I mentioned how much I love that song yet?
Favorite Songs: "Neverland," "The Invisible Man," "Ocean Cloud," "Don't Hurt Yourself," "Fantastic Place," "Genie"

18. Jethro Tull-Aqualung
Oh hello retro 70s folk-prog.  What are you doing so high on the list?  Yeah yeah, I've grown out of a lot of 70s prog, but this album won't let me stop listening to it.  Its just too perfect.  I can't really give any specific reasons WHY its perfect, though.  It could be the catchiness of the tunes, the super-cool flute solos, or how it perfectly marries classic rock, folk, and a bit of prog into an easily-digestible, enjoyable package.  Every song is great, and I can't wait to hear Steven Wilson's remix of it. 

And no, its not a freaking concept album.
Favorite songs: "Aqualung," "My God," "Hymn 43," "Cross-Eyed Mary," "Wind Up," "Wond'ring Aloud"

17. Peter Gabriel-Us
No one talks about this album enough.  When it comes to Peter Gabriel, all his diehard fans point to III as his best.  All the pop fans love So, and the prog fans are still bitching about him leaving Genesis to make better music.  But no one talks about this one.  It kinda picks up where So left off.  Its very much a pop album, filled with tasteful, infectious grooves, Peter's soulful vocals and...melancholy.  Lots of it.  Most of this album deals with Peter feeling disconnected from his children and family, and the songs convey those feelings wonderfully.  Songs like "Steam" and "Kiss That Frog" stick out like sore thumbs at first, but they're kind of needed to pick things up a bit.  So its not a perfect album, but the highs far outweigh the low of "Kiss That Frog."  One of my favorites is "Come Talk to Me," which is a gutwrenching cry, begging to break free of some kind of self-imposed isolation.  Or at least that's how I interpret it.  And considering "These Walls" is a favorite DT song of mine, it should be clear that I strongly relate to those themes.  Anyways, any fan of music should give Peter's solo stuff a listen.  And this album is, in my opinion, his best work.
Favorite songs: "Secret World," "Come Talk to Me," "Washing of the Water," "Only Us," "Blood of Eden," "Digging in the Dirt," "Love to be Loved," "Steam"

16. Dream Theater-Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
This is a mixed blessing king of album.  On one hand, we got some of the best songs the band has ever written, and they all broke new ground for them.  On the other hand, "The Glass Prison" and "Blind Faith" are singlehandedly responsible for predictable song structures and attempts to be more and more METUHL ever since (though BC&SL and ADTOE were steps in the right direction).  Be that as it may, this is one of DT's finest works.  As to be expected at this point in the list, every song is absolutely perfect, and I applaud the band's decision to step away from their comfort zone, which sort of defines SFAM (not that its a bad thing!  Scenes is a great album!).  My guess is that you all know why this album is so good.  Plus I can't think of anything else.  I don't listen to DT as much as I used to, but when I get the urge, this album usually gets picked first.
Favorite songs: All of them.  Yes, I've even warmed up to Misunderstood's outro.

15. Porcupine Tree-In Absentia
FINALLY some Porcupine Tree.  I thought we'd never see any!  I'm only following this list to see what Matt thinks of my favorite PT albums anyways.

That's what I imagine has been going through your heads.  It probably isn't accurate, but I thought I'd include it.  ANYWAYS, this was my first PT album.  If you haven't heard it, do so.  It takes a while to grow on you, but once it does, oh man will your life be changed.  PT doesn't have a single bad album, but on this particular one, all of the songs shine perfectly on their own.  Not a single boring one in the mix.  Even shorter songs like "Lips of Ashes" have something to admire in their atmosphere and simplicity.  Speaking of which, Richard Barbieri owns this album.  He's often the unsung hero of PT while everyone drools over SW and Gavin Harrison, but without him, all those lovely textures would cease to be.  "Lips of Ashes," "Gravity Eyelids," "Collapse the Light Into Earth," "Strip the Soul," ".3," and "The Sound of Muzak," and "Blackest Eyes" wouldn't be what they are if not for his touch.
Favorite songs: all of them

14. Rush-A Farewell to Kings
Oh hey more Rush!  To be perfectly honest, I don't have a personal connection with any of the songs on this album.  So you won't hear any in-depth analysis of lyrics or anecdotes from me.  Instead, you'll hear about how much FUN this album is to listen to.  You'll hear about how the sound is so perfectly 70s, and yet the music is unlike anything else from the period.  Which I guess you just did.  It also benefits from being so short and sweet.  One more song and it might have fallen in the Grace Under Pressure or Signals camp.  One of those Rush albums that comes so close to perfection but has one song that kinda brings it down.
Favorite songs: all of them.

13. Coheed & Cambria-Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
So I got this album after hearing "Welcome Home" on Rock Band and loving it.  The singer was like a new Geddy Lee, and the song was just so heavy and so powah that I had to hear what else these guys had to offer.  Well, the first listen was...iffy.  The only other songs I liked were "Ten Speed" and "Apollo II."  But I started listening to it more, and slowly, the poppy emo songs were growing on me, and the violent lyrics weren't bothering me anymore, and I found out there was a story behind the thing, and you know how much I love concept albums.  Eventually I was playing this album once a day, singing along with every song, and the rest of Coheed grew on me to the point of absolute love for the band.  This is one of their masterpieces.  All those songs in between "The Willing Well" suite and "Ten Speed" seemed like filler at first, but each one is well-written and necessary for the album.  I can't imagine it without those songs.  For a 70 minute album, it seems to go by in 30 minutes, which is great as far as I'm concerned.  If you realize how long an album is that's probably a good sign that its boring you, and Coheed is anything but boring.

Oh, and GAWD'S BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
Good Apollo One!

Kickass.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
Good Apollo One!

Kickass.

Oh shit looks like you agree with me.  Brb changing that entry to Black Eyed Peas or something.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
IA should be 14 spots higher.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
IA should be 14 spots higher.

Just for that I'm not updating till Christmas.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Just don't update at all so that I won't be the only asshole who backed out on his list. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
Just don't update at all so that I won't be the only asshole who backed out on his list. 
You're a douche. I was looking forward to the top of your list.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2011, 11:41:08 PM »
You're a douche. I was looking forward to the top of your list.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2011, 01:46:55 AM »
GAAWWWWWWWD'S BLAWWWWWWWWWWD