Author Topic: 2011-07-05 - Castello Scaligero - Verona, ITA  (Read 33673 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Well, is the setlist the exact same one?

Yes. Here's setlist.fm final setlist (including The Wrong Count mishap)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2011/castello-scaligero-villafranca-di-verona-italy-13d3612d.html
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
: / I'm almost dissapointed, still a great set none the less

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I'm glad they sticking to the one setlist, actually.

Offline krands85

Few short clips from tonight are up already:

Intro/Beginning of UaGM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZonB_b55M
Early part of OtBoA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89qPyPZyMCM
Last 5minutes of TCoT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSrf1axorA
Instrumental section to the end of Endless Sacrifice (sound quality isn't as good) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIN47U5vjE
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jmbeat

3. Forsaken

The audience is singing MM's name!
I would really like to see a video of this, he looks so happy to begin with I can't imagine his reaction to that
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:02:10 PM by jmbeat »
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
I'm glad they sticking to the one setlist, actually.

and why is that? Just wondering, I always enjoy that you never know what is to come in a DT setlist, kind of

Offline MirzekDT

OMG I'm so much happy that they are beginning the show with Dream Is Collapsing :biggrin: soundtrack to Inception is some of my favorite music ever

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
Few short clips from tonight are up already:

Intro/Beginning of UaGM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZonB_b55M
Early part of OtBoA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89qPyPZyMCM
Last 5minutes of TCoT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSrf1axorA
Instrumental section to the end of Endless Sacrifice (sound quality isn't as good) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIN47U5vjE

I just watched TCOT and JLB did a wonderful job.  Sounded great.  Good to hear DT better than ever

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, even if it's 2am here, and i'm soooooo tired, i'll give you a short review

First of all, i would spend two words for Anathema: what a great band, and what a disappointment that their guitarist had to do self promotion after their gig through the crowd...

Dream Theater: Did you remember James being on stage for less of 1/3 of the show?. Did you remember his detached attitude towards the other members?. Have you ever seen James laughing that hard with JP to quite stop singing?. As far as i know your answer, let me say that now is the opposite.
They've done mistakes. Pretending they won't is something that goes behind ridiculousness. Mangini had some troubles right before UAGM's solo, and here and there he've lost tempo, and JR helped him a lot by clapping his hand on thigh. Petrucci lost sound during OTBOA, and Rudess during The Great Debate, if i'm not wrong (but i bet i am). To me, as opposite of what some italians fan are saying in Fb pages, James sound amazing. I would like to re-watch right now LTL to know if i imagined what i've heard: to me, he sounded almost perfect. Far better from what i've heard from Rome. It seems like Rome and, but we knew that, this tour really serve to getting into shape for the world tour.
But if this is their shape now, i can't even think of what they could do in a couple of months. What an energetic show, Petrucci had a great sound, a JMX too: maybe someone told the band that in Rome MM was too loud and JR too low, 'cause they've clearly exchenged the situation, JR was too loud and MM too low. The Great Debate live is phenomenal, hope you'll have the chance to see it.

About Mike Magini: my father said "they've lost sound". As said by my father,who's a non-musician, i can really understand what he meant. Even if Portnoy in last tours used to do basically always the same things, his mix was loud and aggressive. His focus wasn't to have a sound, but to make noise, and hitting that kit hard. But he made it in the right spots, 'cause he knew perfectly the songs. If i think of things that made DT more popular in the last couple of years, despite IMHO less quality, i'll think about guitar sound and loud drumming.
To me, Magini drumming sounds incredible, but it goes more in a musical direction. And i like it, but i can understand why people may would noticed more than i've done MP absence. I think time will give MM enough confidence to give aggressivness to his sound instead of being scared to make mistaks.
Apart from that, when at the end of the show we screamd MANGINI MANGINI MANGINI he freaked out jumping and clapping and smiling as a happy little boy. I felt so happy for him that you can't even imagine.

About James laughing hard with JP, it happend during TCOT, when lines say "i want to say goodbye, this could be the last time you see me alive" and JP made an hello hand to him... It was hilarious!.

In the end, i really enjoyed the show, i think they're in a really great shape, and i can't wait to ADTOE to come out and to see them again ASAP.

p.s. we got the new camel....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:32:50 PM by DreamerTV »

Offline krands85

Full version of Under a Glass Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfqkHArxlQ
Forsaken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlzxZx-HzG8

Need to get myself a camera that deals with audio as well as some of these clips :D The one I have is pretty decent given the size of it and how much it cost, but still struggles a bit, mainly with bass.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline zipporaid

So, even if it's 2am here, and i'm soooooo tired, i'll give you a short review

First of all, i would spend two words for Anathema: what a great band, and what a disappointment that their guitarist had to do self promotion after their gig through the crowd...

Dream Theater: Did you remember James being on stage for less of 1/3 of the show?. Did you remember his detached attitude towards the other members?. Have you ever seen James laughing that hard with JP to quite stop singing?. As far as i know your answer, let me say that now is the opposite.
They've done mistakes. Pretending they won't is something that goes behind ridiculousness. Mangini had some troubles right before UAGM's solo, and here and there he've lost tempo, and JR helped him a lot by clapping his hand on thigh. Petrucci lost sound during OTBOA, and Rudess during The Great Debate, if i'm not wrong (but i bet i am). To me, as opposite of what some italians fan are saying in Fb pages, James sound amazing. I would like to re-watch right now LTL to know if i imagined what i've heard: to me, he sounded almost perfect. Far better from what i've heard from Rome. It seems like Rome and, but we knew that, this tour really serve to getting into shape for the world tour.
But if this is their shape now, i can't even think of what they could do in a couple of months. What an energetic show, Petrucci had a great sound, a JMX too: maybe someone told the band that in Rome MM was too loud and JR too low, 'cause they've clearly exchenged the situation, JR was too loud and MM too low. The Great Debate live is phenomenal, hope you'll have the chance to see it.

About Mike Magini: my father said "they've lost sound". As said by my father,who's a non-musician, i can really understand what he meant. Even if Portnoy in last tours used to do basically always the same things, his mix was loud and aggressive. His focus wasn't to have a sound, but to make noise, and hitting that kit hard. But he made it in the right spots, 'cause he knew perfectly the songs. If i think of things that made DT more popular in the last couple of years, despite IMHO less quality, i'll think about guitar sound and loud drumming.
To me, Magini drumming sounds incredible, but it goes more in a musical direction. And i like it, but i can understand why people may would noticed more than i've done MP absence. I think time will give MM enough confidence to give aggressivness to his sound instead of being scared to make mistaks.
Apart from that, when at the end of the show we screamd MANGINI MANGINI MANGINI he freaked out jumping and clapping and smiling as a happy little boy. I felt so happy for him that you can't even imagine.

About James laughing hard with JP, it happend during TCOT, when lines say "i want to say goodbye, this could be the last time you see me alive" and JP made an hello hand to him... It was hilarious!.

In the end, i really enjoyed the show, i think they're in a really great shape, and i can't wait to ADTOE to come out and to see them again ASAP.

p.s. we got the new camel....

great review, thanks for the insights!  And nice of you guys to scream for MM, he really seems to be so excited to be in the band :)

and very much agree with the bold

Offline lodeus

Full version of Under a Glass Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfqkHArxlQ
Forsaken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlzxZx-HzG8

Need to get myself a camera that deals with audio as well as some of these clips :D The one I have is pretty decent given the size of it and how much it cost, but still struggles a bit, mainly with bass.
Thats good stuff  :tup

Offline JaredWard

First Mangini flub @ 4:13 (Under A Glass Moon) Nice recovery though.

Offline tjanuranus

It must be insane to mm right now. He has to learn all these crazy songs and parts and his first gigs get put up on YouTube so everyone can point out the mistakes. People didn't have to deal with that shit before YouTube. Not a knock on anyone here just a realization of this day and age.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
First Mangini flub @ 4:13 (Under A Glass Moon) Nice recovery though.
Nice flub, but this is not the point ;) nice to see that DT are humans also, but MM and other Guys are in great shape, James voice in Verona sounds so much better then in Rome...

Offline hipodilski

So who's the new camel? :)

Offline dongringo

Nice review DreamerTV. Thanks for your insights.

Getting in on the thread for the updates.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Tunnel Vision

Wow, james does sound really good in these vids

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, james does sound really good in these vids

Yes! He seems to be heading towards a better vocal shape!  :yarr
- Marco

Offline JaredWard

I wasn't knocking Mike, just pointing out a funny flub... the guy is unbelievable. I can't imagine the pressure that's on him right now but everything that I've heard so far I'm happy with and on top of that he's incredibly humble. I hate to even compare him to MP but the main difference I hear is "pocket presence" ...in which MP never really had imo. he would often speed up songs in certain parts or slow them a bit. - so other than being a technical monster, Mangini can keep a solid groove & stay tightly in the pocket which I really admire.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
I wasn't knocking Mike, just pointing out a funny flub... the guy is unbelievable. I can't imagine the pressure that's on him right now but everything that I've heard so far I'm happy with and on top of that he's incredibly humble. I hate to even compare him to MP but the main difference I hear is "pocket presence" ...in which MP never really had imo. he would often speed up songs in certain parts or slow them a bit. - so other than being a technical monster, Mangini can keep a solid groove & stay tightly in the pocket which I really admire.
This, I totally agree. You just can feel the feeling of the songs that MM does. Listen to the beginning of Under The Glass Moon... No comments needed :tup

Offline IdoSC

Damn, James is kicking major asses, listen to the Endless Sacrifice video at ~3:45.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, James is kicking major asses, listen to the Endless Sacrifice video at ~3:45.

Good grace, that's a F5!!
- Marco

Offline IdoSC

Lol, he's doing like over 5 extreme notes a show now. The man is on fire :D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni

Especially since he did only one extreme note in the whole BCSL tour (a high F in As I Am)
- Marco

Offline IdoSC

Especially since he did only one extreme note in the whole BCSL tour (a high F in As I Am)
Also the one in Peruvian Skies when they played it in Peru @ 2009.

Offline Dreamer81

Anyone with some good pictures of this show?? Or maybe know where tO find something?

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
Get on Blabbermouth. There is a lot of pictures and YT videos from the show from Rome ;)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Yeah, but he wants pictures from the show in Verona, not in Rome...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Dreamer81

Yes because all that I have from Verona is low quality cellphone pictures. Maybe some shoot from hilarious Mangini's face. 

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
Yeah, but he wants pictures from the show in Verona, not in Rome...
Shit, sorry ;) I missed threads :) they are so close to each other  :P

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Caught in a Web

Audio is good, video is shocking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4P1ap3E6pA

James sounds great!  :metal

Wrong thread

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Caught in a Web

Wrong thread

Nice, but that's Rome, not Verona!

(and when you said shocking I though it was in a positive way. Is "shocking" only used to imply negativity?)
- Marco

Offline Dreamer81

Awesome when JLB was trying to tell something and all the crowd gone:Mangini!!! Mangini!!JLB looked a little pissed off and JP pointing at MM telling Look It's here!!! And MM with this big smile. Priceless.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Caught in a Web

Wrong thread

Nice, but that's Rome, not Verona!

That's why I put wrong thread, forgot to put edit ha  ;)

(and when you said shocking I though it was in a positive way. Is "shocking" only used to imply negativity?)

I say shocking when ever something is bad...maybe it's an English thing.  :)