Author Topic: What piece of music do you think is currently most well known across the globe?  (Read 5248 times)

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
The spongebob theme (or probably some other cartoon themes.)

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

I'm surprised about the lack of classical music in this thread.
Classical music isn't even well known across the Western world unless it's something used across many mediums like advertising or tv shows. 

All of the pieces I mentioned are frequently used across many mediums llike advertising and tv shows. I'm quite sure that most people know at least 75% of the pieces I posted.

Other parts of the world have their own traditional music to spend their time studying or listening to.  Why do you think European historical music is prominent across many cultures?

In Asia, especially China and Japan, their own traditional music is rarely performed. Western classical music is more well-known among the general population in China and Japan than it currently is in Europe. In fact, in Japan learning to play western classical music on an instrument is mandatory in many schools. Hence the reason why many classical musicians in the west are Asian.

In South America, European classical music is also very well-known. During the European conquest of South America classical music was introduced to the people there. In the centuries following South America started producing its own form of classical music, called Bolivian baroque, which has strong similarities with European classical music. This has caused European classical music to stay popular among the general population. Many children in Brazil for example are in orchestras playing western classical music.

So, in most cultures around the world European classical music is very well-known among the general population, at least more well-known then the traditional music of the region. Actually, I think you could say that European classical music is more well-known in other parts of the world than in the west itself, especially when compared to North America. This is not so strange when you think about it, because European classical music is the largest and most harmonically advanced form of music available today. There is no form of traditional music in any other region in the world that comes close to it.

and classical does not stick in the memory as easily.

I think some classical music is far more catchy than most pop songs. Many classical pieces have been stuck in my head for days after I listened to them only once, for example Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre, Mozart concertos K622, 467, and 495, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik etc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:41:56 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
In Asia, especially China and Japan, their own traditional music is rarely performed. Western classical music is more well-known among the general population in China and Japan than it currently is in Europe. In fact, in Japan learning to play western classical music on an instrument is mandatory in many schools. Hence the reason why many classical musicians in the west are Asian.
I would question that.  My wife doesn't recognize even the most common classical pieces yet recognizes Chinese classics easily enough.  I've seen quality Chinese groups rehearse and perform Western music, I understand they probably recognize all and more of what you listed.  That doesn't make them commonly recognized songs in those parts of the world.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

I would question that.  My wife doesn't recognize even the most common classical pieces yet recognizes Chinese classics easily enough.  I've seen quality Chinese groups rehearse and perform Western music, I understand they probably recognize all and more of what you listed.  That doesn't make them commonly recognized songs in those parts of the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/arts/music/03class1.htm

Offline yorost

• Inactive
So?  You posted a link about growth and direction of classical popularity in China, especially pointing to younger generations and the fact that it has been lacking.  The article clearly points out that older generations had classical music stamped out of their lives by the Communist Party.

I'm not trying to tell you classical isn't prominent,