Author Topic: What piece of music do you think is currently most well known across the globe?  (Read 5249 times)

Offline reo73

• Banned
I was thinking about this the other day.  Of all the music up to this point in history what do you think is currently the mostly widely recognized by people in the world?  My best guess is the Main Theme from Star Wars.  Michael Jackson's Thriller might be up there too.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Happy Birthday

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Probably Happy Birthday. Or a national anthem, American probably.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Lock thread?

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
I love how he actually tried post some legit songs, and we pretty much just wiped the floor with him.
Letters, you and I are working well together right now :tup

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Happy Birthday and Jingle Bells.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Happy birthday does seem like a good guess, but who knows.  It's likely something simple that has crossed from a prominent culture into many others.  Not sure to what extent happy birthday has permeated the world, but it does seem like a good candidate off hand.

Other good choices might come from commercials, particularly global brands that do massive advertising.  Coca Cola and McDonalds jingles might be up there if they use the same ones worldwide.

One of the Olympic themes could be there.

Michael Jackson's Thriller is the first 'artistic song that comes to mind.  You're probably not going to find a bigger global musician, and that's not only one of his huge hit but has the dance everyone loves.

Offline reo73

• Banned
I love how he actually tried post some legit songs, and we pretty much just wiped the floor with him.
Letters, you and I are working well together right now :tup

Yeah, you guys ought to take that act on the road.

Offline reo73

• Banned
I thought of Happy Birthday but I thought it might only be a American/European tune.  But, considering everyone there knows Happy Birthday maybe that is the right answer.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Do other countries actually sing the melody of happy birthday?  It might be the best known in 'Murikah, but I'd be curious in knowing whether the song is actually sung in, let's say, Russian.  I highly doubt they sing the English version everywhere.   

Offline reo73

• Banned
Happy birthday does seem like a good guess, but who knows.  It's likely something simple that has crossed from a prominent culture into many others.  Not sure to what extent happy birthday has permeated the world, but it does seem like a good candidate off hand.

Other good choices might come from commercials, particularly global brands that do massive advertising.  Coca Cola and McDonalds jingles might be up there if they use the same ones worldwide.

Michael Jackson's Thriller is the first 'artistic song that comes to mind.  You're probably not going to find a bigger global musician, and that's not only one of his huge hit but has the dance everyone loves.

Does Coke or McDonalds have a current Jingle?  I guess McD has the "I'm Loving It" thing but that fairly recent and may only be a English speaking thing.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Do other countries actually sing the melody of happy birthday?  It might be the best known in 'Murikah, but I'd be curious in knowing whether the song is actually sung in, let's say, Russian.  I highly doubt they sing the English version everywhere.   

Yes. The words are different, the tune is the same. At least it is in French, Spanish, and Hebrew.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...

Yes. The words are different, the tune is the same. At least it is in French, Spanish, and Hebrew.
German as well.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Happy birthday does seem like a good guess, but who knows.  It's likely something simple that has crossed from a prominent culture into many others.  Not sure to what extent happy birthday has permeated the world, but it does seem like a good candidate off hand.

Other good choices might come from commercials, particularly global brands that do massive advertising.  Coca Cola and McDonalds jingles might be up there if they use the same ones worldwide.

Michael Jackson's Thriller is the first 'artistic song that comes to mind.  You're probably not going to find a bigger global musician, and that's not only one of his huge hit but has the dance everyone loves.

Does Coke or McDonalds have a current Jingle?  I guess McD has the "I'm Loving It" thing but that fairly recent and may only be a English speaking thing.
The problem is figuring out how far any song has gone into other cultures.  Commercials are a great way of getting high penetration into many different markets, but without someone knowledgeable about that kind of thing I don't see how we could make any legitimate guess.  However, one jingle pushed heavy in China, India, and Indonesia is probably more well known than a song known by nearly everybody in North American and Europe.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
For my money, I think it's probably Billie Jean by Michael Jackson. I mean, Michael Jackson was as much of a sensation all around the world as he was in North America, and little kids still listen to his classics, so it transcends generations as well. And Billie Jean specifically is his most popular song.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
Personally, I know that I can't recall the main melody in that song.
I AM A GUY

But you WOULD recognize it if you heard it, right?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
I suppose I would. But the difference is 98% of people can recall the melody to Happy Birthday off the top of their head right?
I AM A GUY

I suppose I would. But the difference is 98% of people can recall the melody to Happy Birthday off the top of their head right?
Yeah, I guess so. I mean, I know at least in North America and in Russia they would... So I guess that's true.

But from actual songs by actual artists, I'd say it's Billie Jean.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
If any artist has a chance it very well might be Michael Jackson.  However, music for entertainment simply has a huge disadvantage in that it mostly requires some sort of volunteering to be heard.

I'd hardly be surprised if more people in the US recognize I'm Lovin' It over any single Michael Jackson song.  I don't really know the answer, but I'd love to find out.  Certainly Happy Birthday is more well known in the US.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
But you WOULD recognize it if you heard it, right?

*listens*

Nope, never heard it before.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

*listens*

Nope, never heard it before.

Well, I guarantee you're in a minority.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Oh I'm sure I am - I fully admit to being completely ignorant of pretty much everything Michael Jackson related.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Do other countries actually sing the melody of happy birthday?

I know in French its the same melody of
"bonne fete a toi
bonne fete a toi
bonne fete, bonne fete
bonne fete a toi"

Did you know that it actually took 2 people to write the Happy Birthday song?

Oh I'm sure I am - I fully admit to being completely ignorant of pretty much everything Michael Jackson related.

The other thing about MJ is, he transcended generations, too, unlike other artists. And it's not necessarily a good thing, it's pretty damn sad how many little kids wouldn't recognize a song by Elvis or The Beatles, or Deep Purple. But I know quite a few kids who only listen mostly to new crap like Bieber and Katy Perry, but they still know Michael Jackson.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
I dunno, I think The Beatles have transcended more than MJ has.
More parents will turn their kids onto The Beatles at a young age than they will with Michael Jackson.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I'm gonna go with Octavarium

I dunno, I think The Beatles have transcended more than MJ has.
More parents will turn their kids onto The Beatles at a young age than they will with Michael Jackson.

You'd be surprised how FEW parents actually turn their kids onto anything. That's why people like Bieber are popular in the first place. Even if those parents listened to the Beatles, they just sit there and let the modern day TV raise their kids.

I'm telling you, I work with kids, and none of them listen to the Beatles, but a lot of them like Michael Jackson. I honestly don't know who or what turned them onto MJ, but they're fans.

EDIT: Wait, no. ONE of my students knew who Paul McCartney was. So that's one Beatles fan for every.... 20 MJ fans, I'd say.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Well I could easily say that I know by memory DT songs which I play every day:

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Surrounded
Erotomania
The Mirror
Lie
You Not Me
Peruvian Skies
As I Am
The Root Of All Evil
The Answer Lies Within
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack
Never Enough
Sacrified Sons
Forsaken
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
A Nightmare To Remember
A Rite Of Passage
Wither
The Shattered Fortress
The Count Of Tuscany

I also know Perfect Strangers album very well, Helloween discography and of course DT discography... I know a lot of music by memory ;) so long to write  :D

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Hmm, I dunno man, they're kids. I don't have a problem with little kids listening to Bieber, that's what he's there for, and frankly I listened to some shitty stuff when I was young too. But, I also had The Beatles playing in my parents car all the time when I was young. While I couldn't fully appreciate it back then, because my head was so wrapped up in Big Fun Party Mix 3, when I grew older I could go back and love them all over again.

Plus, kids like what other kids like. Everyone is listening to Bieber right now, just like everyone was listening to The Jonas Brothers two years ago. But, no 8 year old is going to talk to his friends about The Beatles, he's going to talk about stuff he knows the other kids know about. But that doesn't mean no kids listen to it, it just means its safer for them to discuss popular modern music rather then music that maybe only they know about among their friends.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Well I could easily say that I know by memory DT songs which I play every day:

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Surrounded
Erotomania
The Mirror
Lie
You Not Me
Peruvian Skies
As I Am
The Root Of All Evil
The Answer Lies Within
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack
Never Enough
Sacrified Sons
Forsaken
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
A Nightmare To Remember
A Rite Of Passage
Wither
The Shattered Fortress
The Count Of Tuscany

I also know Perfect Strangers album very well, Helloween discography and of course DT discography... I know a lot of music by memory ;) so long to write  :D

Hmm...not sure if you understood the question...