Author Topic: Damn you Deadwing!!!  (Read 2863 times)

Offline perfectchaos180

Damn you Deadwing!!!
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
So I was listening to Deadwing for the 100th time... and when it finished I said "cool, great album, time to listen to On the Backs of Angels again"

So I did, and about half way through I started hearing really strange drum noises. It didn't make any sense to me until I opened up my media player and realized that the next PT song in my library came up. I never stopped it after Glass Arm Shattering finished and there is that 6 minutes or so of silence >_>

Cool story I know, but I hate when albums do that!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Damn you Deadwing!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
Agreed.  I think the whole idea of hidden tracks is a novelty that wore off really quickly.  I mean, who is gonna leave the CD or record on for several minutes of silence every time waiting for the hidden track?  And it is even more annoying when the hidden track is on the same CD track number is on the last song on the CD or something.  That is annoyingly obnoxious.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Good thing I have the "skip silence" DSP enabled in foobar.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
Agreed.  I think the whole idea of hidden tracks is a novelty that wore off really quickly.  I mean, who is gonna leave the CD or record on for several minutes of silence every time waiting for the hidden track?  And it is even more annoying when the hidden track is on the same CD track number is on the last song on the CD or something.  That is annoyingly obnoxious.
I never even liked them the first time I had an album with one.

...I also hate bonus tracks thrown onto the end of a disc.  Album finishes up and all of a sudden something that just doesn't fits starts playing.  Let me have the album and nothing else, that's what I'm purchasing this stupid disc for.  I think I pissed a store manager off once because he had numerous copies of the album I wanted but not the standard edition. ...stupid live tracks, I just walked out. :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »
I only have Deadwing via iTunes, I was not aware of any hidden track?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
It's the re-recorded version of "Shesmovedon" and yeah, the silence after "Glass Arm Shattering" is annoying, especially if you have the album playing while doing other things and suddenly realize "what happened to my music?" once you notice it's been silent for 5+ minutes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
I only have Deadwing via iTunes, I was not aware of any hidden track?

It's the re-recorded version of "Shesmovedon" and yeah, the silence after "Glass Arm Shattering" is annoying, especially if you have the album playing while doing other things and suddenly realize "what happened to my music?" once you notice it's been silent for 5+ minutes.

This.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »
I absolutely loathe gaps of silence on albums. It's so fucking annoying.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
I absolutely loathe gaps of silence on albums. It's so fucking annoying.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »
It's not a hidden track AFAIK, it's just a bonus on some versions.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »
it's hidden because it's not on the tracklist and because its tagged onto the last song after 10 minutes of silence.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
at least you get 6 minutes to hit stop!  :rollin

also, they could've lumped it all into one long track, so at least we get it separated. some albums go pretty overboard with the "long ending track featuring at least one bonus thing tucked into like 10 minutes of silence," like A Fine Day to Exit by Anathema. (stupidly, they actually kept all that shit on the vinyl release as well!)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
??? On the version I have it's a separate track and everything, dunno what you're talking about.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
??? On the version I have it's a separate track and everything, dunno what you're talking about.
Yeah, that's my version as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
Maybe it was a second print.  I got mine the day it came out from Best Buy and it's hidden. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
Yeah, it's a separate track, but there's still 6 minutes of silence after Glass Arm Shattering.  So let's say if you've got your media player on shuffle all to provide background music for a party or something, then Shesmovedon can come up on it's own, starting and ending like a normal song, but Glass Arm will still have 6 minutes of silence at the end before the next track comes up.  A minor annoyance, sure, but isn't bitching about minor annoyances part of what the interwebs is all about?

And it's (Shesmovedon) not listed on the tracklist on the back of the cd as far as I know.  Not sure if that qualifies it as hidden but whatever.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
I would never put my media player on total shuffle for a party, way too much risk of getting Cattle Decapitation or Merzbow or something else horrifically unsuitable for parties :lol

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »
 :lol  That's part of the fun man!  My friends know the risks they run by letting me handle the music at parties!  Plus I have an Ipod classic that has mine and my wife's full libraries, so Justin Timberlake has as much chance of coming up as Carcass.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
There are people who do it well, like Frost* with Wonderland and that drowning song and Alien Ant Farm with Universe and Orange Appeal, and then people who suck nuts at it like Linkin Park with Part of Me and what's called Interlude.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
Yeah, I don't care for the long silence before it starts. Also, the original version of Shesmovedon was better.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
Download Audacity
Remove silence

not that hard

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
Also, the original version of Shesmovedon was better.
:tup :tup

The silence doesn't bother me because I just skip to the next track, but I do prefer the original.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
Also, the original version of Shesmovedon was better.
:tup :tup

The silence doesn't bother me because I just skip to the next track, but I do prefer the original.

Yea but if you skip the track it doesn't scrobble on last.fm
space cadet, pull out.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »
I have no idea what that means.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11:30 AM »
Tracks only scrobble on my last.fm if you play the entire song. So if I skip the silence, I won't get credit for listening to Glass Arm Shattering, and thus my world would be shattered.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
Tracks only scrobble on my last.fm if you play the entire song. So if I skip the silence, I won't get credit for listening to Glass Arm Shattering, and thus my world would be shattered.

So your one of those who cares that everyone knows your length. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:08 AM »

That's pretty weird, for me it scrobbles when I've listened to like ~30-40% of a song.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »

That's pretty weird, for me it scrobbles when I've listened to like ~30-40% of a song.

That's how mine was, but I changed it in the options so I couldn't cheat.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
Ah.
Well, I've never really even thought about cheating with lastfm scrobbling after ~40% of a song.
Most of the time when I listen to music, it's full albums anyway, and I always listen all the way through.
If I would have been more of a 'individual songs'-person, I would understand the cheating-PoV more.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »
Ah.
Well, I've never really even thought about cheating with lastfm scrobbling after ~40% of a song.
Most of the time when I listen to music, it's full albums anyway, and I always listen all the way through.
If I would have been more of a 'individual songs'-person, I would understand the cheating-PoV more.

I'm totally an albums guys too, I am just a complete klutz with a keyboard sometimes and I accidently hit a hotkey or something that skips the song. Rather than have it already be scrobbled and have to go in and edit it, it's just peace of mind knowing it will just pick up where it left off
space cadet, pull out.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »
wtf is scrobble

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:55 PM »
scrobble to lastfm
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »
Lately this has been happening with Bridge Across Forever by Transatlantic. I've not gone to play any other music, but I forget that there's a hidden track (a continuation of the final section of Suite Charlotte Pike) about 90 seconds after Stranger in Your Soul ends.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:29 AM »
There's only one song that's allowed to get away with this in my books - Sole Survivor.

SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 05:14:51 AM »
I dunno, a lot of bands don't do the silence thing anymore.  I admit Glass Arm Shattering is kind of annoying with its deliberate silence, but I just skip it and don't really give a shit about last.fm anymore.  I think hidden tracks are kind of cool, but they have to be done right.  Like Coheed & Cambria put 13 tracks of minute-long silences called "A Whole Lot of Nothing I-XIII" before their song "21:13" plays.  With iTunes, you can just skip the silence songs when you import the CD.  So if bands do a hidden track nowadays they should do that for convenience.