Author Topic: Bravewords Top 30 Canadian Hard Rock/Metal Albums Countdown  (Read 7720 times)

Offline jsem

Re: Bravewords Top 30 Canadian Hard Rock/Metal Albums Countdown
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
Alice in Hell is amazing, but Never, Neverland is better.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »
Haram Scarem- Mood Swings was their best disc imo...interested to see if it makes the list

Offline Pinga

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
Nice to see such a stylistically varied list.  :tup

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »
ARGHHHHH >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
#12) PILEDRIVER - Metal Inquisition (Cobra - 1985)

Complicated history to this dirty thrash conundrum, PILEDRIVER being something of an assembled ruse that produced, hilarious, half tongue-in-cheek insane metal gold, led by the irrepressible persona of one Gord Kirchin. The magic of this two record band of rascals (second album was ‘86’s Stay Ugly) was in its grit and groove, although quality metal riffs and very cool yet scowly vocals made sure attention was kept and a sore neck was had by every headbanger. The business side of it was, predictably, a bitter war of words between management and band, all the more impassioned because it is thought that the two records wound up selling half a million copies combined. Kirchin to this day is deservedly pissed, but we've heard plenty of similar stories in rock n' roll! Musically speaking the likes of 'Alien Rape', 'Sex With Satan', 'Witch Hunt' and the fist-pumping title track are still quite venomous and relevant in 20011! Kirchin recently resurrected the band as THE EXALTED PILEDRIVER (Metal Manifesto was released in 2008) and continues to get his angst out on stage!

Never heard of these guys.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
piledriver is a terrible choice........nothing special whatsoever

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
I'd like to see some Martyr make this list.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 02:00:16 AM »
There better be some Harem Scarem on this list. Awesome band.
Also there was a great album by a band called Big House- I'm sure they were Canadian.

Used to have a Killer Dwarfs album, can't remember a thing about it.
Anvil will be number 1.

I think Big House was Canadian (I remember their s/t album with All She Wrote, and Dollar in my Pocket).
Harem is awesome... my wife was friends with the band - Harry in particular.

However, I would be seriously disappointed if anyone considered those albums > AFtK.

There's only a handful of albums from anywhere better than AFTK and none of them are Canadian!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »
There's only a handful of albums from anywhere better than AFTK and none of them are Canadian!

You got that right!  AFTK is top 3 for me. Period.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
April Wine anyone?

and we should all concede that Nickelback will be number 1. :lol
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
#11) RUSH – Hemispheres (Anthem – 1978)

RUSH calls Hemispheres the album that nearly broke the camel’s back. Recording in England again, the band found themselves assembling a record (their sixth) that was often difficult to play and even more often, difficult to sing. Furthermore, the guys had created their second side-long epic, and concepts throughout were lofty and deeply prog-steeped. Side one we are greeted with the near 20-minute monster, 'Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres', whereas the flip-side features the instrumental masterwork 'La Villa Strangiato', ‘Circumstances’ and the addictive tale called 'The Trees' - the latter pair released as singles. Hemispheres in all its sci-fi/fantasy glory peaked at #47 on the Billboard's Pop Albums chart and was the precursor to the trio's bubble bursting worldwide and with major success stories of Permanent Waves (1980) and Moving Pictures (1981).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
great Rush disc!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:22 AM »
great Rush disc!!

For me Hemispheres wasn't a patch on it's predecessor. Side One was boring- and no suitable follow up to the awesome Cygnus X1 let alone the  whole of AFTK, and it was only saved by that excellent trio on side two. I know that's not the "popular" view, but never mind. I don't like Signals much either!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2011, 02:23:51 AM »
I much prefer AFTK over Hemispheres, but it's a good album nonetheless. Circumstances is probably my favourite on it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
#10) MAX WEBSTER - Universal Juveniles (Anthem - 1980)
MAX WEBSTER throw it all against the wall for what would be their last – and heaviest – album, much of it guitar-driven, still proggy but kept to nugget-sized chunks. The album’s tour de force is ‘Battle Scar’, on which the band play with all of RUSH in an epic battle of virtuosos. ‘Check’ was a minor hit, unsurprisingly, given its quick party rock slam, whereas lead-off track 'In The World Of Giants' set the tone for a rousing affair.. And all of this was achieved with the band’s celebrated attention to hi-fi production, organic yet powerful, meticulous yet passionately the product of a ‘70s player’s ethic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
I'm surprised at Max Webster getting this high; decent rock band though

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »
#9) RAZOR - Evil Invaders (Attic - 1985)

Evil Invaders (second full-length and remarkably the second in ’85) is one of those landmark albums of a certain type of Canuck thrash, namely the near spontaneous, loose, fast, not to complicated form that gets pits swirling and heads-cracked open. Leader of the band and guitarist Dave Carlo is celebrated for the above vision, holding it all together with razor wire and speedy riff-mastery on such semi-classics as ‘Cross Me Fool’, ‘Cut Throat’, 'Instant Death' and the title track (check out the classic video below), songs that seem to make the statement that everything about thrash should be laid down with less sleep and more beer. Evil Invaders ranks with the best METALLICA, SLAYER and MEGADETH had on offer at the time. And let's not forget about the throat, Stace "Sheepdog" McLaren who spit venom … pure extreme genius.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2011, 06:10:52 AM »
#10) MAX WEBSTER - Universal Juveniles (Anthem - 1980)
MAX WEBSTER throw it all against the wall for what would be their last – and heaviest – album, much of it guitar-driven, still proggy but kept to nugget-sized chunks. The album’s tour de force is ‘Battle Scar’, on which the band play with all of RUSH in an epic battle of virtuosos. ‘Check’ was a minor hit, unsurprisingly, given its quick party rock slam, whereas lead-off track 'In The World Of Giants' set the tone for a rousing affair.. And all of this was achieved with the band’s celebrated attention to hi-fi production, organic yet powerful, meticulous yet passionately the product of a ‘70s player’s ethic.

Ah Battlescar.  I think I'll play this today!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2011, 06:32:33 AM »
#8) RUSH – Signals (Anthem – 1982)
#7) STRAPPING YOUNG LAD – City (Century Media – 1997)
#6) ANVIL - Forged In Fire (Attic - 1983)

Hmm...Anvil higher than Signals and City, can't really agree with that.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:38 AM »
Anvil? That's just wrong

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
Anvil? That's just wrong

Absolutely nothing wrong with Anvil being top 10 ( I expect Metal on Metal to be in the top 5)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »
Anvil is terrible and didn't deserve that movie that made everyone pretend to like them.  And they certainly don't deserve to be above any Rush albums or Strapping.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
I agree, they shouldn't be above Signals.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
If it were an honest list, it would be 1/3 Rush, so I don't mind.

Actually, I really don't care about these lists - I'm just curious what makes it.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Anvil is terrible and didn't deserve that movie that made everyone pretend to like them.  And they certainly don't deserve to be above any Rush albums or Strapping.

thats all about musical tastes Rush while be a huge fan of the most of the board members here does nothing for me...same with Devin and anyone of his other projects

Anvil on the other hand was a band I grew up listening too. I love their tongue in cheek lyrics, Lips wites some awesome riffs and Rob Reiner is an absolute monster on the drums

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »
#5) RUSH – 2112 (Anthem – 1976)

After the commercial disaster that was Caress Of Steel and its subsequent tour of low attendance, RUSH was ready to either pack it in or get dropped. Deciding on departing in a blaze of glory, they proceeded to make a potentially even less commercial record, emerging with prog metal opus 2112, half a concept album, all flash and panache. Some of the band’s heaviest metals would emerge from the record, namely ‘The Temples Of Syrinx', ‘A Passage To Bangkok’ and the passion-filled 'Overture' that kicks off the treasured vision. The band’s legendary status was assured as the album hit #61 on the Billboard charts and it currently sits at an impressive triple platinum stateside.

The Audio-Visual Preservation Trust of Canada, a non-profit Canadian charitable organization dedicated to promoting the preservation of Canada's audio-visual heritage, has sponsored MasterWorks, which annually recognizes 12 culturally significant Canadian classics from the film, radio, TV and music industries. In 2006, 2112 was one of the albums chosen to be preserved.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
Anvil? That's just wrong

Absolutely nothing wrong with Anvil being top 10 ( I expect Metal on Metal to be in the top 5)
March Of The Crabs!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:24 AM »
Anvil? That's just wrong

March Of The Crabs!! :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx7WyvumZCU

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2011, 07:31:50 AM »
I love 2112, but I think its "legendary" status only comes from the 20-minute title track and the fact it was Rush's first breakthrough album.  They've had plenty of better albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
#4) EXCITER - Violence & Force (Megaforce - 1984)

EXCITER took a second record to really anchor themselves and demonstrate dimension, Violence & Force featuring thicker, more brutal production than the scampered debut, as well as a slower metal classic in ‘Pounding Metal’, the band’s lethal chemistry on display, their pioneering thrash legacy established. And talk about an album cover creating the right creepy vibe… no one listening to this damn thing can get that image out of their mind, said trumped up scene of criminality portraying a predator with a painted black hand metaphysically dangling a knife. First off we are met with John Ricci's blasting feedback on 'Oblivion' which lunges straight into the title track,, drum-throat Dan Beehler on his game juggling two weapons with ease. The epic 'War Is Hell' and galloping 'Scream In The Night' also shine on this opus which opened many doors for the band and ultimately led to the finale of their speedy triumvirate, Long Live The Loud. Sadly Ricci and Beehler don't see eye-to-eye, so a classic line-up reunion ain't in the cards.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
I give up. :(

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
I am loving this...Thrash...Thrash and more thrash  this genre gets sorely overlooked outside of the big 4

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
#3) VOIVOD – Dimension Hatröss (BMG - 1988)

Dimension Hatröss is viewed within the sprawling, twisting VOIVOD catalogue as the apex of the first phase, the vortex into which all of Away's (Michel Langevin; drums) intriguing sci-fi ideas swirl and shine and shimmer. Truly the Quebecers were one of a kind in the late '80s with an envious vision, breathtakingly powerful on 'Psychic Vacuum' and of course the top of the heap, 'Tribal Convictions' which may be the finest metal outro in extreme metal history from these vast lands. The cover art is also one of Away's arcane best, and speaking of arcane, Piggy (Denis D'Amour; guitars) is really flying his freak flag here, firing off obscure chords and melodies relentlessly, making Dimension Hatröss both near impermeable and certainly intellectually substantial. Noise did their best to spread the word of the band at this particular juncture and the underground were enthralled. But even to this day, Voivod have been laying out brilliant hands with only mediocre payback from the dealer.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
They are really giving thrash the spotlight on the list