Author Topic: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)  (Read 393166 times)

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 01/16)
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
Hmm, not sure which other songs he uses the lap steel for. Fingers crossed it is Octavarium.

If my memory doesn't betray me, the lap steel has been used near the end of In The Name Of God (without much success, IMO) and at the beginning of Peruvian Jam. Both in 2005/06, and both of them were improvements or jam sessions that were later dropped. So, it is 99% Octavarium!  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
Unless it's used in the one new song they're going to play.  :lol

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »
Hey, don't burst my bubble of sudden joy like this  ;D
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
Trust me, I want to see 8V again just as much as you!

Offline Jise

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »
I'm calling it now: we'll see A Change Of Seasons sooner or later this tour. It is just too fitting the moment of the history of Dream Theater we're into. Plus, it is hands down their greatest song and a huge fan favourite. I am positive about it being played again.  :)

I really doubt about it... ACOS is a very personal lyric from Portnoy, they won't be playing it for sure

P.S.: First comment in this froum (?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:51 AM »
Well 13 days till the start of the tour. Really looking forward to seeing what they're gonna play and what new song they will.  Just saw the picture of the lap-steel and continuum.  Octavarium pleeeease!!!  :)

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »
I'm calling it now: we'll see A Change Of Seasons sooner or later this tour. It is just too fitting the moment of the history of Dream Theater we're into. Plus, it is hands down their greatest song and a huge fan favourite. I am positive about it being played again.  :)

I really doubt about it... ACOS is a very personal lyric from Portnoy, they won't be playing it for sure

Welcome here Jise :)

Anyway, I don't believe that band would cease playing their most amazing song to date beacause of its lyrical content. That would be overly stupid.
- Marco

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »

I don't understand why everyone thinks DT will dismiss songs because they're personal to Portnoy. It's like not putting a favourite film on with your partner because it means too much to your ex...

I doubt they'll dismiss epics such as TGP and ACOS because of Portnoy. I'll be very sad if they do :'(

Welcome to the forum! (Mind, I haven't been here long myself) :)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
While seeing A Change of Seasons would not suprise me, I honestly would not hold my breath. I can almost guarantee they'll still be playing Portnoy songs, songs like A Change of Seasons, The Best of Times, and the full 12-step saga are all Portnoy's brainchildren. DT will exercise extreme discretion when it comes to picking songs Portnoy was close to. So, it'll be a lenghty while before we see some of Portnoy's more personal songs.

I think for this tour they'll come up with some "safer" Portnoy songs to use for now.

Some examples:

Just Let Me Breathe
anything from Scenes from a Memory
Never Enough
Constant Motion
anything he wrote for Six Degrees (song)
maybe a 12-step song, but I think that's unlikely

I'm growing concerned that the setlist is going to be very safe, just to assure the fans that DT is not going off the rails. As absurd as this sounds, I do think that DT is going to do this. If they just play a set that's too similar to what we saw for the past 2 years, I'll be pretty disappointed.

On the other hand, with Mike gone, some members might see this as a chance to play songs that Mike was less keen on (aka: more slow songs). While that's not a drastic change, if it means we see more Vacants or Disappears, then I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:32:58 AM by setrataeso »
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
I expect them to play The Glass Prison at some point during the world tour for the new album. It's a popular song and hasn't been played since the Octavarium tour (that I know of), even though it is a 12-step song.

I think there is the opportunity for them to play any MP song besides The Best of Times. I would be really shocked if they played that song, but anything else MP-related wouldn't surprise me at all.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:21 AM »
While seeing A Change of Seasons would not suprise me, I honestly would not hold my breath. I can almost guarantee they'll still be playing Portnoy songs, songs like A Change of Seasons, The Best of Time, and the full 12-step saga are all Portnoy's brainchildren. DT will exercise extreme discretion when it comes to picking songs Portnoy was close to. So, it'll be a lenghty while before we see some of Portnoy's more personal songs.

I think for this tour they'll come up with some "safer" Portnoy songs to use for now.

Some examples:

Just Let Me Breathe
anything from Scenes from a Memory
Never Enough
Constant Motion
anything he wrote for Six Degrees (song)
maybe a 12-step song, but I think that's unlikely

I'm growing concerned that the setlist is going to be very safe, just to assure the fans that DT is not going off the rails. As absurd as this sounds, I do think that DT is going to do this. If they just play a set that's too similar to what we saw for the past 2 years, I'll be pretty disappointed.

On the other hand, with Mike gone, some members might see this as a chance to play songs that Mike was less keen on (aka: more slow songs). While that's not a drastic change, if it means we see more Vacants or Disappears, then I'll be happy.

I have to strongly disagree on that matter. Writing the lyrics of a song does not imply nor grant the intellectual "property" of it. There is just no evidence that ACOS or any other song you listed (except pheraps for TBOT) was prominently MP's work on the instrumental side more than any other DT song, and as such there is no real reason for the band to avoid those songs.

- Marco

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
Then why have they avoided Space-Dye Vest and Anna Lee for so long?
It's not Mike's song, true. But out of respect to his memory, I can't see DT playing it, or any of Mike's other personal songs in the near future.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »
Then why have they avoided Space-Dye Vest and Anna Lee for so long?
It's not Mike's song, true. But out of respect to his memory, I can't see DT playing it, or any of Mike's other personal songs in the near future.

Space Dye Vest was brought almost entirely complete by KM before he left the band. As MP stated, that song was always perceived as a very good song completely out of the contest of Awake and DT more in general, and as such has never been included in the band's live catalogue.

Anna Lee, on the other hand, was played many times live as long as Derek was in. Then it was probably put aside since, as clearly stated by MP on the liner notes of the FII Demos, it was mainly Derek's and James's both musically and lyrically.

Consider Afterlife. This song was written back in 86, and Chris Collins wrote the lyrics. Than, after the band kicked the man out, those lyrics were purposedly forgotten, and a new set was written by Charlie Dominici. The song has been played very often since CD's departure.
- Marco

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
Anna Lee, on the other hand, was played many times live as long as Derek was in. Then it was probably put aside since, as clearly stated by MP on the liner notes of the FII Demos, it was mainly Derek's and James's both musically and lyrically.

I don't know why you tried to rebut this, considering this totally proves my point. Anna Lee has always been considered Derek's song. Not because the lyrics were written by him, but that the song featured him heavily and, like you said, became "Derek's song". A Change of Seasons, musically, was a full-band effort, yes, but Portnoy penned very personal lyrics for it. What you are effectively trying to argue is that what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.  Why is it OK to put aside Anna Lee because it's Derek's song, while A Change of Seasons doesn't get the same treatment for Mike? I think you're letting your hopeful nature get in the way of looking at this realistically.
Don't get me wrong, seeing A Change of Seasons would indeed be awesome, but look at it from the band's perspective:

1)Mike left
2)They got a new drummer
3)Mike wanted back in and they said "no"
4)Mike got into somewhat of a war of words with James
5)Mike moved on to other projects
6)??
7)Profit

Does it really look good for the band, who is now currently on less-than-remarkable terms with Portnoy, to go and play one of his most personal songs?

And your Afterlife point makes no sense. The lyrics were never personal to Chris, nor Charlie. A Change of Seasons is a totally different story. IT'S A SONG ABOUT THE DEATH OF PORTNOY'S MOM for fuck's sake!

I can't see how you could possibly think that they will play A Change of Seasons so soon...

Oh wait...I forgot the main point of your argument. It's because...
That would be overly stupid.

Right. Good call dude.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
Anna Lee was "Derek's Song" because he basically wrote the entire song, minus lyrics. A Change of Seasons was a full band effort on the musical side of things. That's why he didn't treat them the same way, because it's not the same situation. :facepalm:

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
I think we will see ACOS at some point on the tour, simply because I think as part of their re-establishment as Dream Theater, the band will want to play songs which are widely regarded as "classics". It's not in the same league 'personally' as Space-Dye Vest, or even, I would argue, The Best of Times. Having been written nearly twenty years ago, I think any notion of it being omitted should be disregarded.

As has been mentioned, the music was collaborative (as opposed to SDV), and the events described in it are not only much further in the past, but less literally described in the lyrics.

Even if it isn't played this tour, I don't think that that would be because of MP.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
I'm not writing it off entirely at all. I am hopeful that they will play it. But, I am leaning more towards them not playing it this time around, and it's mostly because it's a song that's close to Mike.
Bearing in mind it's also a really long song, and they may not have room for it if they want to play other songs for their "re-establishment". If the lap-steel means we'll see a return of Octavarium, I would be downright shocked if they had that and ACOS on the same tour, even if they were using a rotating setlist.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
I'm not writing it off entirely at all. I am hopeful that they will play it. But, I am leaning more towards them not playing it this time around, and it's mostly because it's a song that's close to Mike.
Bearing in mind it's also a really long song, and they may not have room for it if they want to play other songs for their "re-establishment". If the lap-steel means we'll see a return of Octavarium, I would be downright shocked if they had that and ACOS on the same tour, even if they were using a rotating setlist.
A Classic epic encore for every show. ACOS or 8VM. That would be brilliant. :metal

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
The best shows are the ones that end in one of the classic 4: Metropolis, Learning to Live, Octavarium, or A Change of Seasons. My fingers are crossed that we'll get that back again. I'm done with seeing Pull Me Under close the show :\

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
The best shows are the ones that end in one of the classic 4: Metropolis, Learning to Live, Octavarium, or A Change of Seasons. My fingers are crossed that we'll get that back again. I'm done with seeing Pull Me Under close the show :\

I am more thrilled to see Metropolis as the opener, rather than a closer, since as such it has been quite abused in the last 7 years...
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
One thing I hope wholeheartedly

No medleys pls
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
One thing I hope wholeheartedly

No medleys pls

JP voiced his hate for medleys in the commentary of 5YiaLT. Hopefully there will be none from now on...
- Marco

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
I feel like I'm the only one who loved Schmedley Wilcox and Instrumedley...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
I feel like I'm the only one who loved Schmedley Wilcox and Instrumedley...
I love the medleys! I just prefer they play entire songs. haha.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
Instrumedley is great, Schmedley not so much.

Yeah, MP made Schmedley as "a big collage of DT classics" all merged in one and I don't have a big problem with it. But hey, I would have enjoyed any of those songs played in its entirety live.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »
I thought Schmedley was put together really well. The transition from Trial of Tears to Finally Free was particularly impressive.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:23:34 PM by setrataeso »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
I don't mind medleys.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
No medleys, and I don't see any problem with DT playing ACOS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
I really dig Instrumedley, but the other one wasn't so good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
JP has expressed dislike towards medleys, so I really don't think we'll be seeing one of those again. At least in some time.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »
I had a dream last night that DT did an Evening With tour but the entire second set was made up of medleys. I spend too much time on this forum.  :lol

1 WEEK TO GO!!

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »
I had a dream last night that DT did an Evening With tour but the entire second set was made up of medleys. I spend too much time on this forum.  :lol

1 WEEK TO GO!!

Falling Into A Change Of Awake
When Images And Words Unite
Pull MeTropolis
A Fortune In Lie
Learning To Live Forever
The Space-Dye Test That Stumped Them All

Encore:
The Ones Who Help To Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Crimson Sunrise
- Marco

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

Im a fan of this one. Well done

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »

Im a fan of this one. Well done
Pure insanity. lol.

I'm confident that they will be playing only full songs this tour cycle due to the fact that Mangini is the new guy and is still learning songs.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2011, 05:05:33 AM »
Live updates from the first gig in Rome will hopefully be posted in this thread on Monday night.