Author Topic: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)  (Read 393095 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 02/01)
« Reply #1365 on: February 05, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »
Holy shit, Jordan Rudess action figurrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quk91cc0RUA
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1366 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
 Thereīs one for Petrucci and another for JLB in the intermission videos.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1367 on: February 05, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
Sadly, I'll bet they have blacklisted the Pageant here in St. Louis, which is why they haven't been here since that show here in '04 where that idiot fell out of the balcony going for one of the drumsticks Portnoy tossed into the crowd.  If so, that is completely unfair to blacklist an entire city basically because of one idiot, but there really is no other rational reason for them not having come here since (we went to their shows here in '94, '00 and '04, and all of them were packed to the max with energetic crowds)

Isn't it possible that they were blacklisted by the theater for said incident? They may have taken issue with the fact that the idiot fell because MP had thrown the drumstick in the air.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1368 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
Sadly, I'll bet they have blacklisted the Pageant here in St. Louis, which is why they haven't been here since that show here in '04 where that idiot fell out of the balcony going for one of the drumsticks Portnoy tossed into the crowd.  If so, that is completely unfair to blacklist an entire city basically because of one idiot, but there really is no other rational reason for them not having come here since (we went to their shows here in '94, '00 and '04, and all of them were packed to the max with energetic crowds)

Isn't it possible that they were blacklisted by the theater for said incident? They may have taken issue with the fact that the idiot fell because MP had thrown the drumstick in the air.

I'm not sure why the stupidity of some person should have any repercussions against the band.  He's like that dopey dog from European Vacation who jumps off the tower when Chevy Chase throws the hat. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1369 on: February 05, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Strange - didn't realize that they had been skipping over that city for so long. Honestly, I can't imagine that they'd blacklist that venue or even the city over what a fan did. But as Wasteland said, it could be that the venue could be the ones preventing them from playing there. Or it could be some sort of legal threat because of what happened. Hard to say. And they may feel that because St. Louis isn't that far away from Kansas City or Chicago, that you guys can travel there. Then again, it could be that they get better offers in KC so that they opt to play there for the region - I'm sure that's one of the reasons that they'll always do shows in Chicago.

It really would be interesting to know why some cities and regions (not just Texas, the south and Florida, but the northwest and even Indiana) get passed over on at least a semi-regular basis.

It would seem pretty strange that booking agencies wouldn't be familiar with the various options here.
Agreed, considering it's their job to be familiar with all the options, but who's to say they stay on top of this all the time, or maybe have assistants or employees who help book the shows that don't have that same knowledge. Without knowing all the ins and outs of booking concerts, all we can do is guess.

I know that Nextstage pretty much inherited the entire Bronco Bowl market by default when BB got bulldozed, which is how I suspect that DT wound up playing there. Most bands that played the Bronco Bowl now play out there, which is probably why Nextstage accommodates them with the half/quarter size configurations. Seems odd, though.
It may seem odd, but it must be cost effective, or else you wouldn't continue to see them doing it over and over.

Something that always puzzled me was why promoters would think that the sorts of bands that open for DT would actually boost attendance. Do they think that people who would normally blow off DT would drive all the way to Grand Prairie because Periphery is opening? Of course no sooner than I type that I remember that I drove to Austin largely because Crimson Projekt was opening.  :lol
LOL! It could be that this is just the rule of thumb that promoters always go by. After all, we can say that we are one of the most dedicated fanbases in the world, but I'd wager that the majority of hardcore fans of any band/artist would say the same thing about their respective fanbases. So my point is, while we see DT and it's fanbase as different, the promoters do not, and therefore assume that they'll always sell more tickets having more bands on the bill.

Maybe Mike Portnoy peed on The Alamo and no one told us.
He did, while he was drunk and wearing his wife's dress.   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1370 on: February 05, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
That would be something...   :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1371 on: February 05, 2014, 11:03:59 PM »

That is very possible.  In fact, I have wondered that before here, too.  But if that is the case, why not go to another venue in the area?  It's not like the Pageant is the only venue around here that is fitting for a band that draws like DT. 

Strange - didn't realize that they had been skipping over that city for so long. Honestly, I can't imagine that they'd blacklist that venue or even the city over what a fan did. But as Wasteland said, it could be that the venue could be the ones preventing them from playing there. Or it could be some sort of legal threat because of what happened. Hard to say. And they may feel that because St. Louis isn't that far away from Kansas City or Chicago, that you guys can travel there. Then again, it could be that they get better offers in KC so that they opt to play there for the region - I'm sure that's one of the reasons that they'll always do shows in Chicago.

It really would be interesting to know why some cities and regions (not just Texas, the south and Florida, but the northwest and even Indiana) get passed over on at least a semi-regular basis.

I would never have a beef with them playing in Chicago, which is clearly the biggest city in the Midwest and a natural city for any band to play.  But KC getting shows all the time, while we get ignored?  That just blows.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1372 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
Is there any indication additional US dates might be added?  I am in the southeast and will travel north if necessary but I need to buy tix now and book flight as far in advance as possible to get a decent fare.  Anyone have any news on that front??
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1373 on: February 06, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »
Is there any indication additional US dates might be added?  I am in the southeast and will travel north if necessary but I need to buy tix now and book flight as far in advance as possible to get a decent fare.  Anyone have any news on that front??
I don't have any inside information regarding their tour plans, but if I were you, I'd go ahead and plan on traveling to one of the shows in the north. While it's true that they usually do 2 legs through North America, there's no telling if they'll be Evening With shows or if they'll do a show close to where you live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1374 on: February 06, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »
Sidebar: I remember when the M:2000 tour dates were announced, and St. Louis wasn't on it.  Since we were nutty about Scenes, and word was that they were gonna play all of it, we bought tickets for the concert at the House of Blues in Orlando, and we made a weekend out of it.  Naturally, days after we bought our tickets and booked our plane tickets and hotel room, they added several more dates to the tour, St. Louis being one of them. :lol :lol  But that was okay; we just went to that concert, too, and had a blast in Orlando. :tup :tup

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1375 on: February 06, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

Certainly none to be added to the leg this Spring. Who knows what will happen later this year?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1376 on: February 06, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
Holy shit, Jordan Rudess action figurrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quk91cc0RUA
Oh boy, a BVD commercial break!
This is gonna be awesome.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline cyberdrummer

Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 03/05)
« Reply #1377 on: March 05, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
2014-07-06 - Sonisphere Festival - Knebworth, UK

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1378 on: March 05, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
2014-07-10 - Masters Of Rock Festival - Vizovice, CZE
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:23:11 PM by cyberdrummer »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1379 on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
Back in Europe for the Festivals? coolio.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1380 on: March 05, 2014, 12:54:32 PM »
What would be their average setlist times during these festivals anyway?  I wonder if they are going to bring out one of the other three songs from Self-Titled during those shows?

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:55 AM »
I wonder if they'll also be doing normal gigs on 2nd leg... Not worth how ever much i'd pay for a festival for 5-6 songs or so...

Offline cyberdrummer

Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 03/10)
« Reply #1382 on: March 10, 2014, 05:39:06 AM »
A few more dates added:

2014-07-06 - Sonisphere Festival - Knebworth, UK
2014-07-10 - Masters Of Rock Festival - Vizovice, CZE
2014-07-14 - Sports Arena - Gdynia, POL
2014-07-16 - 013 - Tilburg, NED
2014-07-21 - Piazza Loggia - Brescia, ITA

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1383 on: March 10, 2014, 05:44:35 AM »
013 yeah? Interesting... That's more club-size in comparison to their big venue gigs nowadays. Could be fun, going to check my financial status.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1384 on: March 10, 2014, 05:46:05 AM »
013 yeah? Interesting... That's more club-size in comparison to their big venue gigs nowadays. Could be fun, going to check my financial status.

Yeah, the venue describes it as an exclusive club show - could indeed be fun... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40981

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1386 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
Hmm do we think they might come back to the UK during the 2nd leg? And whats the possibility of a different setlist?  :-\

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1387 on: March 10, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
Hmm do we think they might come back to the UK during the 2nd leg? And whats the possibility of a different setlist?  :-\
I'd say most likely and high.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Yazman

« Reply #1388 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
Any chance they'll come to Australia again? They haven't been for a few years now  :-[

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1389 on: March 14, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
Will there be changes to the set list for the North American leg?
I want more new stuff!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1390 on: March 14, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
I want more new stuff!

Nah.  Next leg I'd expect the 3 remaining new songs, though.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1391 on: March 15, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
I want more new stuff!

Would that not be a change in the set list? Or do you think they will add more songs in addition?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: March 15, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
I want more new stuff!

Would that not be a change in the set list? Or do you think they will add more songs in addition?

I think he meant the next leg after this first NA leg of the tour which at the moment would be the new European dates.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 03/17)
« Reply #1394 on: March 17, 2014, 07:08:21 AM »
Now that they've started announcing the Asian leg, hopefully there will be some confirmation soon as to whether Australia will get shows this tour.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1395 on: March 17, 2014, 07:12:47 AM »
 If I may contribute: donīt get the meet & greet, guys. The band is either uncomfortable or detached from the fans, and this ruins the whole experience of seeing them in person. That was the case when I met them in January this year, and the majority of the people who went to the same meet & greet as me felt the same way - like the band was giving the cold shoulder to the fans and meeting them and taking pictures because they were held under contract to do so.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1396 on: March 17, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »
I want more new stuff!

I think he meant the next leg after this first NA leg of the tour which at the moment would be the new European dates.

Yeah, sorry for not being precise.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1397 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
The NA leg seems to end in April where the 2nd Europe leg starts in July... I wonder if they're taking a long break or if a leg somewhere else, perhaps Asia or SA or Australia is being announced for that empty space?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1398 on: March 17, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
The announcement of the show in Japan makes it obvious that the Asian leg will be in the fall. Maybe they'll just take a break and focus on rehearsing a new setlist after the NA leg is over...

BTW, some Loud Park shows get streamed every year - perhaps we could get some proshot material of DT's performance?

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #1399 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
The NA leg seems to end in April where the 2nd Europe leg starts in July... I wonder if they're taking a long break or if a leg somewhere else, perhaps Asia or SA or Australia is being announced for that empty space?

South America seems the most likely option to me.