Author Topic: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)  (Read 396604 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)
« Reply #1435 on: July 08, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »
I'm really confused that they are playing the same setlist. They must really be in love with this show. I'm shocked there are not changes for the second run through Europe. I cannot see them going through the US in the same cities with the same show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1436 on: July 08, 2014, 06:39:30 AM »
I bet they'll make changes at some point, because if they play a second North American leg in early 2015, there's no point in doing the anniversary sets anymore.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1437 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
I bet they'll make changes at some point, because if they play a second North American leg in early 2015, there's no point in doing the anniversary sets anymore.

Thats a very good point! I definitely supported the static set list idea through the tour but I really hope they make the right decision and switch the set up on future tour legs.  I'm kinda surprised they didn't switch it up yet...

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1438 on: July 08, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
2015 is the 20th of ACoS... Just throwing that out there.

It's also the thirtieth of the band as a whole unless you're JLB.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1439 on: July 08, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »
I can see them pulling it out for this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1440 on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
But it's also the tenth of Octavarium, so who knows.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1441 on: July 08, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
Cool. Double epics!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1442 on: July 08, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »
Dear Santa...

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1443 on: July 08, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »
Cool. Double epics!
How about IT, 8VM, AND ACoS?
TRIPLE THE EPICS.

Just imagine a set with 3 epics  :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1444 on: July 08, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
That would be the sickest night of my life if not for the fact that MM would be hospitalized, John Petrucci's arm would fall off, James Labrie would regress to his 1995 state, Jordan would grow hair so that it could turn white, and John Myung would comment on the difficulty of the show.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1445 on: July 08, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
That would be the sickest night of my life if not for the fact that MM would be hospitalized, John Petrucci's arm would fall off, James Labrie would regress to his 1995 state, Jordan would grow hair so that it could turn white, and John Myung would comment on the difficulty of the show.

:rollin :rollin

I died at the JM part.

Offline genome

« Reply #1446 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »

It's also the thirtieth of the band as a whole unless you're JLB.

I was wondering about this the other day, 30 year anniversary next year - they must be marking that with something special?

Thinking about it, it's the 1st anniversary of the 20th anniversary of the Awake album next year, I reckon they'll put something in the set to mark that.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1447 on: July 13, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41329.0

JLB on 1985: "For me personally, that's when the band formed at Berklee.  But as far as I'm concerned, the way I look at it... The first album came out in 1989, so as far as I'm concerned 2019 will be our 30th.  I always go by when the band released their first album.  I know it was established in 1985, because that's where Mike and John Petrucci and John Myung -- that's where they met.  So the nucleus of the band was formed there, and then it spread out from there.  So, to me, 2015 doesn't really commemorate 30 years for me.  It commemorates 25.  So how about we do something to commemorate our 25th...which would be now.  The 25 years would be now in 2014, if we wanted to do that.  We'll definitely, in 2019, still be going so I think at that point it would be really cool."

Offline genome

« Reply #1448 on: July 13, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
Ah, fair points. Thinking about it, they weren't even Dream Theater until 1986, right?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1449 on: July 13, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »
Yeah, well, regardless of the fact that JLB said that, it's a stupid stance considering that they celebrated the 20th in 2005/2006 and the 25th in 2010.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1450 on: July 13, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Agreed.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1451 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »
You know they COULD celebrate the 30 year of the original band forming and also the 30 year of their debut album without everyone questioning which one is the REAL most important anniversary  :rollin

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1452 on: July 13, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
I thought I said it before but I can't find it, so I'll say it again-

2015 setlist:

FAS intro tape
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
-
On The Backs of Angels
Surrender to Reason
Enigma Machine (With drum solo)
Take the Time
Along For the Ride
Learning to Live

----

A Change of Seasons (20 year anniversary)
-
Behind the Veil
Space Dye Vest
Illumination Theory

Octavarium (10 year anniversary)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:40:55 PM by TheAtliator »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1453 on: July 13, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
Could James handle singing that a hundred times?

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1454 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »
I don't get why everyone seems to talk about it as though playing one 25 minute song is so incredibly much harder than 6 5-minute songs in succession. They do all the Awake songs with a short break in between just Lie and Lifting Shadows (where James TALKS, so actually doesn't get a vocal rest), and then they do the four SFAM songs all without stopping. It really wouldn't be very different from what they have now if they were to do ACOS, IT, and 8VM all in the same setlist.

If you're referring to having both TTT and LTL, ok yea, but put whatever songs you want there. I'm just trying to make a set with the same format they have now but with ACOS and 8VM as the anniversaries.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1455 on: July 13, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
Short breaks between songs are still breaks.  Playing a 25-minute piece of music can be mentally exhausting because you have to keep up your concentration the entire time.  After a five-minute song, even if you only stop for 10 or 15 seconds, it's still a break.  You catch your breath, drink some water, then psyche yourself up for the next song.  It's not the amount of music, it's the non-stop concentration that's required.  Don't believe me?  Think about playing an eight-minute song.  Is it "not much harder" than playing two four-minute songs?  It's not twice as hard, but it definitely takes things up a notch.  Now notch it up four more times.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1456 on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
But they get 15 second breaks in their songs 20 minute songs all the time. There's tons of only one- or two-instrument parts. And sometimes they literally run one song into the next when they play several shorter songs anyway!

And actually, believe it or not, I have played 4 minute songs and 10 minute songs in the same set, and since theres breaks for only a few seconds here and there, they really aren't any tougher than 2 short songs together. Actually has the possibility to be easier if there are repeats.

I suppose it could very well be tough on the drummer since there are probably far fewer stops for them, though. I'll give you that much

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1457 on: July 15, 2014, 06:39:52 AM »
TTT is difficult and LtL/8VM/IT all require him to strain for a powerful note. Although he did two of those for half of the 2005/2006 shows.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1458 on: July 15, 2014, 07:17:21 AM »
Never Enough
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1459 on: July 15, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
Yea but I'd still say Octavarium is probably easier as a whole to sing than SDVu-Finally Free. And ACOS is probably a lot like singing all those Awake songs.

But you got me on TTT and LTL. Keep LTL and change TTT to some other ten minute song. Maybe Misunderstood or Blind Faith.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1460 on: July 15, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »

2015 setlist:

FAS intro tape
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
-
On The Backs of Angels
Surrender to Reason
Take the Time
Along For the Ride
Learning to Live

----

-
Behind the Veil
Space Dye Vest
Illumination Theory

Nothing from SFAM, yikes! Granted they are celebrating its anniversary now with 4 straight songs, but it's the essential album to include in every set lol

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1461 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »
Okay, then how about-
But you got me on TTT and LTL. Keep LTL and change TTT to some other ten minute song. Maybe Misunderstood or Blind Faith.

Beyond This Life or Home instead of TTT.

Then we'd have the perfect ACOS/8VM anniversary Along For the Ride set.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1462 on: July 15, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
Home or Fatal Tragedy, which I regret seeing without Ass and Balls.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1463 on: July 17, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »
https://ytsejam.com/2014/07/interview-dream-theater-keyboardist-jordan-rudess/
Quote from: Jordan Rudess
As for what’s in the future for Dream Theater, we have some dates here in the summer, some time off and some more dates later on. As for the new album, we have to get through with all of the touring and which will round up by the end of this year.
So, if I understood correctly, Jordan says the world tour will finish by the end of this year.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1464 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

2015 setlist:

FAS intro tape
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
-
On The Backs of Angels
Surrender to Reason
Take the Time
Along For the Ride
Learning to Live

----

-
Behind the Veil
Space Dye Vest
Illumination Theory

Nothing from SFAM, yikes! Granted they are celebrating its anniversary now with 4 straight songs, but it's the essential album to include in every set lol
One could say the same thing about IaW, and yet there's a complete lack of songs from that album in the current setlist (aside from a few festival shows). Nonetheless, I agree if you swap out Home for TtT, that (already great) setlist would be even better.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1465 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
So it's official  :lol

FAS intro tape
The Enemy Inside
This Dying Soul
-
On The Backs of Angels
Surrender to Reason
Home
Along For the Ride
Learning to Live

----

-
Behind the Veil
Space Dye Vest
Illumination Theory

...Now if only Jordan didn't just confirm that this tour isn't continuing into 2015...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: July 21, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Can someone confirm if this is true?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2014/piazza-della-loggia-brescia-italy-23c1103b.html

Seems they played the entire SFAM?

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1467 on: July 21, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
https://ytsejam.com/2014/07/interview-dream-theater-keyboardist-jordan-rudess/
Quote from: Jordan Rudess
As for what’s in the future for Dream Theater, we have some dates here in the summer, some time off and some more dates later on. As for the new album, we have to get through with all of the touring and which will round up by the end of this year.
So, if I understood correctly, Jordan says the world tour will finish by the end of this year.
That would basically confirm they're not changing the set at all for the entire tour, as if they're only going to play maybe 1 or 2 more legs for the entire tour, there'd be no point in changing it at this stage. I'd imagine an Asian/Pacific tour, and maybe (HOPEFULLY) a second US tour to cover all the spots they missed.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1468 on: July 21, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
Can someone confirm if this is true?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2014/piazza-della-loggia-brescia-italy-23c1103b.html

Seems they played the entire SFAM?

That would mean they'd all have to learn the other 5 songs they didn't play this tour or last, and create something visually and program a light show for them. The last bit shouldn't be too hard, honestly, and MM could probably learn BTL, Home and OLT real quick, but I'm not believing it until we get confirmation from people who were there. If they did, that's fucking awesome and needs to be brought to the states. Metropolis in it's entirety is something I'd love to see one day.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1469 on: July 21, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »
Clearly the setlist can't be true, else they'd still be playing, and I know they are not since I am waiting for them to come out and sign autograph.

Same setlist as always, people.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco