The Dream Theater Tour Dates & Setlists Thread (UPDATED 04/23)

Started by cyberdrummer, December 07, 2010, 02:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tri.ad

You know, I wouldn't mind them using a lower tuning for some songs (particularly for those from I&W and maybe for some Awake songs); lots of band did and do it; the songs might sound a bit weird in comparison, but if you hear it in a live setting without the studio version to compare, the difference wouldn't be that obvious.

Jamesman42

Quote from: nikatapi on July 18, 2011, 05:16:37 AM
You can always use a lower standard tuning and not dropped.

Yeah that's true. Even a half step tuning lower would be a tremendous help to JLB.
\o\ lol /o/

Orbert

I hate it when bands change the key of a song.  It makes the whole song sound "wrong".  I'd rather they just play a different song than play a song I like in the wrong key.

nikatapi

Quote from: Orbert on July 18, 2011, 09:32:39 AM
I hate it when bands change the key of a song.  It makes the whole song sound "wrong".  I'd rather they just play a different song than play a song I like in the wrong key.

You know what? I used to have the same opinion.
My mind changed after a FW concert here in Greece when they played the entire Parallels album. I think it was at least one step down, but it sounded fantastic.
I guess they could do it, and actually i am surprised that James is able to sing the older songs in the original tuning and without changing the melodic lines of the vocals.
I bet if they downtuned (since most of the older songs are in E standard tuning, lets say they tune to Eb standard) James will definately sound much much better.

MetropolisxPt1

Orbert

Quote from: nikatapi on July 18, 2011, 10:10:48 AM

My mind changed after a FW concert here in Greece when they played the entire Parallels album. I think it was at least one step down, but it sounded fantastic.
I guess they could do it, and actually i am surprised that James is able to sing the older songs in the original tuning and without changing the melodic lines of the vocals.
I bet if they downtuned (since most of the older songs are in E standard tuning, lets say they tune to Eb standard) James will definately sound much much better.

It's probably different when doing an entire album.  By the second song or so, your ears have had a chance to "adjust" and you can just enjoy the performance.  I also know that it probably bothers me more than a lot of people.  I don't have perfect pitch, but I know what certain notes are supposed to sound like.  F# has a certain color to it; it's what makes songs in D sound so happy and songs in B sound so sweet.  Dropping it a half-step or more would totally change the color of the song.

ResultsMayVary

MetropolisxPt1

Quote from: Orbert on July 18, 2011, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: nikatapi on July 18, 2011, 10:10:48 AM

It's probably different when doing an entire album.  By the second song or so, your ears have had a chance to "adjust" and you can just enjoy the performance.  I also know that it probably bothers me more than a lot of people.  I don't have perfect pitch, but I know what certain notes are supposed to sound like.  F# has a certain color to it; it's what makes songs in D sound so happy and songs in B sound so sweet.  Dropping it a half-step or more would totally change the color of the song.
Dont you know D minor is the saddest of all keys. :biggrin:

EpicCookie

bosk1

If DT feel they can deliver a better performance of a given song by lowering it, then I'm not opposed to it in principle.  Sometimes, for most of us who don't have perfect pitch, you barely notice when a song is dropped.  Other times, it is a lot more obvious.  It just depends on the song.  For example, when Queensryche started tuning down The Lady Wore Black in 2000 or so, it was very apparent, but it made the overall feel of the song more dark and heavy.  On the other hand, I saw Tesla a couple of years ago, and they tuned down a couple of their songs (Edison's Medicine and, if I'm not mistaken, Hang Tough), and both of those just felt like all life was sucked out of them.

Ben_Jamin

@Bosk: That's how I feel about Rush doing 2112 now, it sounds weird to me and has less of an imoact for me.

ronrule

If it's a better vocal performance, I say at least try it one tour.

I'd also like to see JLB try doing less crowd work.  Just stand there and focus and see if that improves things?  This is prog, and I'd rather have a flawless performance and lose some of physical energy.  I say that because with JLB's pitch issues, it's not always the highest notes that are the problem.

Jamesman42

It can, I agree. I also agree with your assessment of F#....if it were dropped so that F# became F, it would probably feel a little more steady and resolved on its own (that's my silly impression of the note haha).
\o\ lol /o/

IdoSC

I really hate it. I'd rather have James doing stuff like Learning to Live in LSFNY. Everything sounds pretty easy to him at the moment, there are still a few years before we'll see songs being tuned down or something like that.

cyberdrummer

Forsaken has really gone up in my estimations after the last few days - such a great sing-along.

bosk1

Since you are recording confirmed U.S. dates, we also have 9/24/11 - Warfield Theater, San Francisco, CA

cyberdrummer

wasteland

Quote from: cyberdrummer on July 25, 2011, 12:57:43 PM
Forsaken has really gone up in my estimations after the last few days - such a great sing-along.

I agree! I have always kinda liked that song more than most of SC, but its reputation has increased in these last days. James seems to be having a good time singing the song as well, since he has started throwing some high notes in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyNdeJqE6Po&t=269

TAC

Obviously I'm looking forward to the next leg when the new material donimates the setlist, but this summer's tour's setlist is really incredible. People seeing this tour are very lucky.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ich bin besser

A friend of mine uploaded CoT from the Vienna gig on youtube, but soon got a copyright notice from youtube. What's up with this? I see many DT live vids here on this site. Should he take it down?

perfey

I think this setlist thread needs to be updated :P, only 1 night left of the 1st european leg.

dtnj

cyberdrummer

Sorry for the late update, was on holiday in the US for the past two weeks. Tidying things up now.

STFD

Quote from: cyberdrummer on August 11, 2011, 07:58:34 AM
Sorry for the late update, was on holiday in the US for the past two weeks. Tidying things up now.

Where do you get the setlists from?

wasteland

Quote from: STFD on August 12, 2011, 12:23:48 AM

Where do you get the setlists from?

Setlist.fm!

TAC

Where did you go?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cyberdrummer

Did a road trip around California with my family. We started in LA, then up to Santa Barbara, Monterey and San Francisco, on to Napa, across to Yosemite and back to SF to fly home (with a few other stops along the way). 

BFRedrocks

The suspense is killing me as to whether or not they're gonna make some dates in the Southwest US.  Hoping for for Phoenix somewhere in between Utah and Illinois.  We missed them on the last DT-only tour.

skydivingninja

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE 19TH IS A WEDNESDAY

Unless they feel like doing three gigs in a row and squeeze Asheville in there on the 18th I can't go see them this tour!  :'(

TheOutlawXanadu

DarkLord_Lalinc

IronEarthTheater

So... is there going to be a whole different US leg, or is this basically it?  Anyone know?

ResultsMayVary

Quote from: IronEarthTheater on August 14, 2011, 09:53:04 PM
So... is there going to be a whole different US leg, or is this basically it?  Anyone know?
JP mentioned after their first show for the year in Rome (on July 4th) that they would swing back through Europe and the US starting in the spring because they are hitting Australia, Asia, South America, etc. during the winter months.

Millais

https://www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.php#eurotourdates

Great selection of dates there. I think personally I'll try and go to the show at Wembley in February  :metal