Author Topic: Opinions on Mike Mangini on new single  (Read 10062 times)

Offline peruvianskynewhampshire

• I worship bacon,particularly black pepper bacon.Bow to the bacon gods
  • I saw a white light. Shining there before me
Opinions on Mike Mangini on new single
« on: June 29, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
I know its only the first song but I am very happy with the results. He fits in  and the band sound like they havent missed a beat. totally pumped for the sept release... Bring it on!! :metal
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline bss4life15

Re: Opinions on Mike Mangini on new single
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
I love the drumming on here.  The playing is perfect.  I can't judge him right though until he performs his own drumming arrangement in DT, which will probably not be for awhile.  For now he is really good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
I don't know why anyone would doubt that the drumming would be below par.  He's a world class drummer, just listen to JLB's first three solo albums. (first two under Mulmuzzler)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline peruvianskynewhampshire

• I worship bacon,particularly black pepper bacon.Bow to the bacon gods
  • I saw a white light. Shining there before me
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
I don't know why anyone would doubt that the drumming would be below par.  He's a world class drummer, just listen to JLB's first three solo albums. (first two under Mulmuzzler)

This
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »
I don't know why anyone would doubt that the drumming would be below par.  He's a world class drummer, just listen to JLB's first three solo albums. (first two under Mulmuzzler)

This

That

I do wish he was a little stronger in the mix but no point worry about youtube quality clip for now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:02:42 PM by Mr. Beale »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
Great drumming, he fits in perfectly. I'm sure that on CD he'll blown us away, on Youtube you cannot say more about the mix ;)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
His drumming is world class and fits perfectly with DT. They picked the right man for the job.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
Still getting used to it but I think I like it....
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Shumpun

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »
His playing is very tasteful- he is not trying to prove anything that is obvious from his musical choices. Some of the opening reminds me of Awake the way he plays the flams on the high toms. He sounds very polished and actually similar to Portnoy stylistically- the way he phrases the odd timings in particular.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
Mangini did a terrifc job.  He played within the song and didn't try to do too much.  Big thumbs up!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Shumpun

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
At around 5:45 to 5:52 the tom fills are amazing if you listen closely with headphones. They are a little buried in the compressed mix.

Offline Zorander

• DT.net Veteran
  • Rice-megatron expert
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 04:07:53 AM »
Im not a very drummer oriented listener. But I've listened to my share of DT through the years, and the whole thing felt pretty natural, he seems to fit right in :) Also, I read a comment on YouTube, that if you listen at 02.06 in the song, he is accentuating the guitar riffing with his feet, while at the same time accentuating the keyboards on the hihat (I think)... So I listened for it, and when you actually notice it, it's pretty cool :P I usually never actually notice stuff like that.

Vanity, my favourite sin.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 04:15:13 AM »
He's less bombastic and in your face than MP is but there is a LOT of subtle stuff in there which is sheer class. The way he locks in with more than one other band member at a time is great and his cymbal work? well there is quite simply no one better than him.

Offline Evo

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:10 AM »
I think it's phenomenal. I might be biased, I've been a Mangini fan for about 15 years, but yeah.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 05:12:21 AM »
I was thinking, that if they *did* open the album will a massive crazy drum fill, it might be a bit like saying

" Here's our new drummer - just listen to how much better he is than the old one. "

I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that Mangini's playing is so understated. It's everything the drums

should be. To the song and not showy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:24 AM »
^ having said that, last night at our local jam night - we played freebird and im not a fan of that song so when it came to the 2

hour guitar solo, I started soloing like a mad fool on the drums - massive Taylor Hawkins / Dave Grohl style fills and constant

double bass for the whole solo :P

Gosh it was ever so much fun !  :biggrin:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
Phenomenal player, so many great moments....youtube really doesn't do him much justice with the mix so really looking forward to getting a high quality single soon hopefully.  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »
His playing on OTBOA is incredible, but I think it will take me some time to get used to it. It sure is different from what Portnoy was playing...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
I liked it. Didn't blow my mind but his cymbal work is pretty good. I want to hear more before I give a full judgement.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
I can't judge him right though until he performs his own drumming arrangement in DT, which will probably not be for awhile.  For now he is really good.

I share the same sediment. Either way, he will shine as he has thus far. I base that more on the audition videos I was able to watch.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
It was really good.  Not to knock Portnoy, because he is incredible, but it was obvious that this track didn't contain anything from the Portnoy bag of tricks. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
MM is an awesome drummer.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
I don't know why anyone would doubt that the drumming would be below par.  He's a world class drummer, just listen to JLB's first three solo albums. (first two under Mulmuzzler)

This

That

I do wish he was a little stronger in the mix but no point worry about youtube quality clip for now.

Those
made by c00kiE [aiw]

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
I can't judge him right though until he performs his own drumming arrangement in DT, which will probably not be for awhile.  For now he is really good.

I share the same sediment. Either way, he will shine as he has thus far. I base that more on the audition videos I was able to watch.

Not sure if SRS... ???

Offline champbassist

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »
Im not a very drummer oriented listener. But I've listened to my share of DT through the years, and the whole thing felt pretty natural, he seems to fit right in :) Also, I read a comment on YouTube, that if you listen at 02.06 in the song, he is accentuating the guitar riffing with his feet, while at the same time accentuating the keyboards on the hihat (I think)... So I listened for it, and when you actually notice it, it's pretty cool :P I usually never actually notice stuff like that.

No wonder: he talked about 'playing' others' parts on the drums when talking about his audition (can't remember if that was in an interview or in the documentary itself). This guy is turning out to be seriously cool. Not that I expected otherwise :p

Offline darkshade

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
It was really good.  Not to knock Portnoy, because he is incredible, but it was obvious that this track didn't contain anything from the Portnoy bag of tricks. 

This is generally how I feel. I think the people who say "man, it's good, but I miss portnoy, or MP would have played that part with more power" etc... are the same people who; had MP not quit, would be saying "same ol' Portnoy  :yeahright"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
I think he did a great job but I would like him to be louder in the mix. I always liked that Mikes drums were so prominent.
Looking forward to hearing more.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »
Honestly, if Mangini stays with the band for the rest of its career, I'll be happy.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
I loved his playing. It felt very natural and the dynamics were there (instead of MP's full tilt playing all the time). Technically, the song is a bitch to play with all those syncopated kickdrum-follows rythmguitar-sort of beats but he did it perfect and didn't overdo it. Very tasteful - can't wait to hear the rest of his playing!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
A lot of people are saying, "He's not going all crazy and elaborate like MP used to," but you know, I don't even think anyone would notice, except for the fact that Mangini is new, so at this point, everyone is naturally sitting there going, "Oh, I wonder what the new drumming is gonna sound like!" So obviously, there's that much more attention on it, now.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
I really like his playing on this song, but i really wish the snare and toms were a little louder.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
I felt happy throughout the whole song listen to Mangini's drumming. It was just perfect for that song.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline purpleplanet10

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
I think it's phenomenal. I might be biased, I've been a Mangini fan for about 15 years, but yeah.

me too.. i have been a Mangini fan ever since his days in Extreme, i have followed him ever since.. i have his signature snare drum on my kit! I have always wondered what he might sound like in DT, it's so cool now to know what that is. I think the more we hear from the album the more people will really see and hear how underated Mike has been all these years.
The Ride cymbal at 3:28 is steller! until we see it live i wonder what hand that is playing it, if its his right or left hand, i'm gonna say left hand side of the kit. The fact that he can lead with any limb and switch back and forth is just mind blowing. Most drummers would be playing something that long with both hands, but the fact that he can play at that speed for a phrase that long one handed (left or right) just makes my jaw hit the floor. I said it yesterday... "Ladies and Gentalmen... MIKE MANGINI!"

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »
I liked it. Wish the drums were a little louder to be honest, but I get the feeling the youtube compression might have something to do with it. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album, I'm sure he has some crazy bits later on.