Author Topic: Bands that blew it  (Read 12249 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Bands that blew it
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
30 Seconds to Mars

Dream Theater (Well, lets see how this new album is first)

Pink Floyd

Linkin Park (Arguably, varies on weather or not they "had it" to begin with)

Man, besides Linkin Park, which is still questionable, I've got to disagree with every one of your picks.

DT and Floyd blew it?!  Really?!  #0 Seconds To Mars is being shown on every music TV station every 3 seconds from This Is War and the album has sold well in this market.

I think I misunderstood the question to be honest. I listed the bands that I used to love (apart from Linkin Park) but then went on to become worse (IMO).

I know 30 Seconds' new album has skyrocketed them onto the main stage, but I don't think it has anything on the first two records.

I do agree I wasn't keen on the style of This Is War.  A Beautiful Lie was in a world of it's own.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2011, 07:50:11 AM »
It was a pretty mainstream album, but at the same time was really deep and varied, really a brilliant album. And Leto's voice is the shit, even on the new album.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
@Super Dude: Indestructible pretty much goes Sour after track 7, Enough, although I like the last song, Facade. Enough has that cool black metal bit.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2011, 08:07:41 AM »
Boston
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Mudvayne comes to mind. LD 50 is a god tier album that is just as awesome now as it was when it was released. But since then each release has gotten worse than the one before it. Sure theres a few gems here and there... but they could have done so much better.

Coheed has put themselves at risk with Bland Rainbow...

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »
Can we add pop stars like Britney and Lindsay? lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 09:08:54 AM »
I think Linkin Park is kinda a very unique example.
A lot of the older fans focus on the fact that they changed style, but even though I still like HT and Meteora for nostalgic reasons, they do have quite a silly formula that is featured in pretty much every song.
The majority of these fans mean that the change in sound made the band bad, but look at it from the other side. If PT after ~12 years or so as a band would still follow that silly "heavy intro-rap verses-chorus"-formula, their music would just be repetitive as hell.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
First name that popped into my mind: Children of Bodom. In Flames too...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
Boston

Really?  Which album?  Sure, everything went "downhill" after Boston, but when you start as strong as that album it's hard to improve upon that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
I don't really consider bands to fit what the OP is asking unless they have sold out in a very major way that thumbs their nose at the fanbase or have otherwise changed in a very blatant way that disrespects their legacy and/or their fanbase.  The only bands I can think of off the top of my head who fit that category are Queensryche and Van Halen.  QR has already been discussed to death (here as well as the QR thread).  For VH, III was a complete middle finger to pretty much all three of their previous singers.  Then they went out on tour and shoved Gary to the side of the stage.  Then they canned him for no good reason.  Then dissing Michael Anthony and bringing in Wolfie on the tour.  And lots of other drama for no good reason.  Ugh.  Every few years, I'll spin those 2 or 3 albums that still remotely interest me.  Otherwise, I'm pretty much done with this band.  Actually, after typing that out, I was thinking that GnR somewhat fits the mold too. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
Mudvayne comes to mind. LD 50 is a god tier album that is just as awesome now as it was when it was released. But since then each release has gotten worse than the one before it. Sure theres a few gems here and there... but they could have done so much better.

Coheed has put themselves at risk with Bland Rainbow...

Mudvayne is still good. I agree that nothing will ever top LD 50. But their new albums are decent.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »
  For VH, III was a complete middle finger to pretty much all three of their previous singers.  Then they went out on tour and shoved Gary to the side of the stage.  Then they canned him for no good reason.  Then dissing Michael Anthony and bringing in Wolfie on the tour.  And lots of other drama for no good reason.  Ugh.  Every few years, I'll spin those 2 or 3 albums that still remotely interest me.  Otherwise, I'm pretty much done with this band.    

I can't agree with the majority of that. While I think EVH has done irreparable damage to Van Halen's reputation over the last decade, I don't see how III was a middle finger to anyone.  The relationship with Hagar was in shambles, and Roth botched getting back in the band by acting like a douchnozzle at the MTV Awards show, so it was either break up or find a new singer.  Sadly for them, the fans probably weren't gonna accept anyone who wasn't Hagar or Roth at that point.  Also, while I like III more than most seem to, they didn't help Cherone's cause by making it an experimental album, rather than a straight forward kick ass VH record.

And I don't remember Cherone being shoved to the side of the stage when I saw them on that tour.  He was front and center at our show. 

So, while I agree that VH, or EVH more specifically, has completely blew it, I don't think III was the start of it. 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
What EVH giveth, EVH taketh away. I mean, playing bass on 3 tracks of VHIII when YOU HAVE A PRETTY GOOD BASSIST is one of the most arrogant dick moves I've seen in a band. Also suing Nike and not letting your now mediocre son/bassist play in the new album. That and the fact that DLR is a complete douche these days. What the fuck happened to Eddie?

Oh, and In Flames, how could I forget them? I'm sorry but how the fuck can a band still be playing if no original members are left? I understand Jesper had some problems of some sort but what about the rest? Sounds of a Playground fading had some good tunes, and it was A LOT better than A Sense of Purpose, but it has also made me bury any hope that they will return to their Whoracle-Colony-Clayman days, or AT LEAST their Come Clarity days.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »
I don't see how III was a middle finger to anyone.  The relationship with Hagar was in shambles, and Roth botched getting back in the band by acting like a douchnozzle at the MTV Awards show, so it was either break up or find a new singer.  Sadly for them, the fans probably weren't gonna accept anyone who wasn't Hagar or Roth at that point.  Also, while I like III more than most seem to, they didn't help Cherone's cause by making it an experimental album, rather than a straight forward kick ass VH record.

No, I know all that.  What I mean is that the name "III" when it is not the band's third album is an obvious reference to the fact that it's the third incarnation of the band, which is basically saying, "Yeah, you singers--you're just a number.  I, Eddie, am the star here--not you."  And then add what LCArenas mentioned, and the stuff on tour.  (they must not have had Gary to the side the whole time if they didn't do that at the show you saw, but several others who saw the tour have commented on the fact that Gary was off to the side with Eddie center stage)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2011, 12:47:12 PM »
I wonder if they did that over time because of the shabby treatment Cherone was getting from fans.  I remember hearing reports about him getting booed and stuff thrown at him in a lot of cities.  What morons fans can be.  Why go to the show only to make life miserable for the new lead singer who is already replacing two pairs of big shoes?  Stupid.

EVH's treatment of Michael Anthony has definitely been shameful.  I think EVH considered it an act of betrayal that Anthony stayed friends with Sammy after their split in the mid 90s, and he has held it against him ever since.  

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »
Is Wolfgang even a good bass player? I know it's pure nepotism that he's in the band at all, but I've always wondered if he's got his father's chops.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
Is Wolfgang even a good bass player? I know it's pure nepotism that he's in the band at all, but I've always wondered if he's got his father's chops.

If he had his father's chops he'd be playing guitar in his own band carving his own path I would think - pure speculation on my part.

Offline russellmania

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Can we count bands breaking up?  If so, I really really loved Sanctity's debut album and thought they had the potential to be the next big thing in metal but then their singer left and that was it for them.  Such a shame.  Nevermore breaking up is also a huge bummer for me.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
Evergrey - I can't believe no on has mentioned these guys yet!  I thought the Inner Circle was awesome, and Monday Morning Apocalypse was OK.  The last two sound very mediocre, and it actually makes me appreciate MMA much more now. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
Queensryche- absolutely.

Vinnie Vincent- great songwriter, flawed human being by all accounts. Shame. I liked his stuff. He saved KISS twice, had a great first album (VVI), a decent follow up, then nothing but lawsuits against KISS. And Gene's got better lawyers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
I wonder if they did that over time because of the shabby treatment Cherone was getting from fans.  I remember hearing reports about him getting booed and stuff thrown at him in a lot of cities.  What morons fans can be.  Why go to the show only to make life miserable for the new lead singer who is already replacing two pairs of big shoes?  Stupid.

EVH's treatment of Michael Anthony has definitely been shameful.  I think EVH considered it an act of betrayal that Anthony stayed friends with Sammy after their split in the mid 90s, and he has held it against him ever since.  

I saw that tour and Cherone was incredible.  Lots of energy and he sang both VH era's well.  The album suffered because of Eddie.  Bringing in his buddy Mike Post to produce. (known for TV theme songs, "Hill Street Blues ect... not rock albums)  It was too unfocused and needed a real producer to push them.  Never mind the fact that Mike Anthony barely played on the album.  yes it's Eddie on bass and was already screwing MA.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
No particular band comes to mind, to be honest. I haven't cared for much of anything DT have done in the past few years. They've become a mediocre band with the occasional good song or melody, but nothing more. There's worse out there, though.

I feel really embarrassed for the big QR fans on the board. Like I said in their thread, they've become a parody of themselves.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
Trivium for me.

Their debut (when you consider their age) was more than decent. Sophomore effort Ascendancy is on of the best metalcore albums ever released if not THE best. Their third effort The Crusade was utter gash (same thing as DT suffered with 8vm actually except Trivium thought it'd be cool to write the record Metallica should have written instead of St Anger whereas DT wrote muse/u2 songs + an epic). They never really recovered from that. Such a shame. They were on top of the world at the age of 20 in 2005.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
but Shogun is there best....
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
It's pretty damn close to it.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
  For VH, III was a complete middle finger to pretty much all three of their previous singers.  Then they went out on tour and shoved Gary to the side of the stage.  Then they canned him for no good reason.  Then dissing Michael Anthony and bringing in Wolfie on the tour.  And lots of other drama for no good reason.  Ugh.  Every few years, I'll spin those 2 or 3 albums that still remotely interest me.  Otherwise, I'm pretty much done with this band.    
And I don't remember Cherone being shoved to the side of the stage when I saw them on that tour.  He was front and center at our show. 

One of my memories of the Cherone-fronted VH show I saw was the fact that he was not front and center at all during the concert. The whole event was the EVH ego stroke. I firmly believe Cherone could have won the fans over if he was allowed to be the charismatic frontman he is. He had the range to effectively sing songs from both the Roth and Hagar eras. Unfortunately, he was relagated to the side so Eddie could stand in front of his adoring fans.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »

When I saw them in 2007 he played the songs...nothing memorable. Who really surprised me was DLR. Man, he can still sing. And Eddie, as much of an ass as he has been, seemed to be really enjoying sharing the stage again with DLR and vice versa. They put on a killer show, the tour was very successful and extended a couple times with no fall out, and rumor has it they are coming out with a new album soon. Don't know who will be playing bass though.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Radiohead. For some reason their style changes led them to a point where they started making ubber shit.

In B4 the Radioheadstorm.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
Radiohead. For some reason their style changes led them to a point where they started making ubber shit.

amen!!
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
I like to think I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, but I couldn't make it past the first track of King of Limbs without thinking "people actually listen to this shit?"

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2011, 03:22:07 AM »
but Shogun is there best....

Yeah but it's underrated by critics because The Crusade was a massive letdown after Ascendancy and that took a lot of wind out of their sales. I love Shogun, especially the more progressive stuff like Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis and Shogun but it's not the genre defining classic that Ascendancy was. They went from headlining Brixton Academy (cap just under 5k) in London to playing 2 nights at the KoKo which is 1000 cap. That's a bit of a fall from grace, no? Other bands (mostly dreadful ones like BFMV and A7X) from the same sort of era are headlining Wembley Arena (cap 12000) now. That's where Trivium should be, but they just aren't and a large amount of that comes down to The Crusade being a massive bust. If they'd have put Shogun out after Ascendancy they'd be megastars.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2011, 03:36:14 AM »
No Brainer for me....

Pearl Jam - As soon as they booted Dave Abruzzeze (sp) and Vedder started shooting off his mouth they went into the crapper.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »
I read this thread a little bit ago and while I was on the subway yesterday I had my iPod set on shuffle and I had a song come on from Collective Soul.

I remember when I was younger I really loved their stuff, the first three albums were great but every release thereafter just kept getting worse and worse, it was just terrible music. Ed took over the band and then they hit rock bottom, and I think they are going to die as a band at rock bottom.

The terrible music wasn't the worst part, there are many bands that have terrible streaks but it doesn't take away from the older material. Ed live is the worst performance ever, he barely sings and he does so much bitter ranting about not achieving superstar success, it really takes away from the show. It's hard to get out of my head when I'm trying to enjoy the older material.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »

amen!!
I like to think I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, but I couldn't make it past the first track of King of Limbs without thinking "people actually listen to this shit?"

WTF!?!?!? :censored

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »

amen!!

WTF!?!?!? :censored

Honestly, it's god awful.