Author Topic: Bands that blew it  (Read 12250 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Bands that blew it
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »
Queensryche... Queensryche... Queensryche!!!  Nuff said!

GnR is definitely towards the top of the list in this subject.  It's amazing how one self-destructive @sshole could single-handedly ruin one of the most popular and successful rock bands in decades.  This band should go the route of L.A. Guns.  There should be Axl Rose's Guns N' Roses ('cause it really is a solo band) and there should be a Guns N' Roses with the other guys with a singer who'll actually show up on time to a gig.

Extreme's III Sides is definitely my favorite album from them.  "The Truth" is absolutely awesome!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Tesla's Bust A Nut.  There might be a few more commercial songs on this album than there were on previous.  But, it's still pretty solid.

And, what happened to Def Leppard in between Pyromania and Hysteria?!?  Seriously?!?  Let's see... Their drummer lost an arm and they decided to stick with him.  Their music definitely suffered as they adapted to Rick Allen's limitations.  But, you gotta hand it to them for not giving up on him.  It was after Steve Clark's death that they definitely lost it for me with Adrenalize.  To me, this is them trying trying to recreate the commercial accessibility of their previous album and create Hysteria 2 with a new guitarist who doesn't enjoy heavy music anymore.

GnR is a great choice for this thread. They were the biggest band on the planet in 1992.
Tesla's Bust A Nut kicks all sorts of ass!

Didn't Def Leppard waste a couple of years working with Jim Steinman? I would've loved to have heard his production, but at the end of the day, Hysteria had no balls left in it with a superglossed production.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
Queensryche... Queensryche... Queensryche!!!  Nuff said!

GnR is definitely towards the top of the list in this subject.  It's amazing how one self-destructive @sshole could single-handedly ruin one of the most popular and successful rock bands in decades.  This band should go the route of L.A. Guns.  There should be Axl Rose's Guns N' Roses ('cause it really is a solo band) and there should be a Guns N' Roses with the other guys with a singer who'll actually show up on time to a gig.

They tried that.  It was called Velvet Revolver and I don't think it turned out so well in the long run.  :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:48 AM »
Green Day

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 08:33:45 AM »
Agreed... III sides is good.  Already admitted my error.  It`s Punchline that killed them for me.

Bust a Nut kicks ass???  Really.  Maybe I need to revisit it, but as I recall (and I have spun it since 1994) it`s tolerable at best.  Compared to MR, TGRC and PS, ... well, there is no comparison IMO.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »

They tried that.  It was called Velvet Revolver and I don't think it turned out so well in the long run.  :lol
True.  I'm talking about ditching the VR 2nd guitarist and getting Izzy back and a dependable singer.  Weiland was hardly dependable or stable.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
I'd like to nominate Chicago to be added to this list.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
Uriah Heep after Firefly.  Or Wishbone Ash after Argus.

Holy crap, Uriah Heep AND Wishbone Ash in one post!!   I think I shot a load!   :o

I agree about Wishbone Ash.  Even though it's not a bad album, Wishbone Four was a definite letdown after the awesomeness of Argus.  It felt like the band was about to break through into something new and wonderful with the progressive-minded Argus, but after that, they kinda regressed.  I do enjoy a lot of their later output with Laurie Wisefield though.

I daresay that Uriah Heep kinda blew it after Sweet Freedom.   

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »
Def Leppard is another one for me. Hysteria/Adrenalize were their departure from kicking ass to a more commercial sound (Can't see why people praise Hysteria so much)... Slang was meh, and while I thought Euphoria was a step in the right direction, they kind of blew it again with X and Sparkly Sparkles Lounge.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »

Queensyrche are one of those bands for me. My resentment of Geoff Tate has grown so much in recent years that I can't stand listening to him, and am extremely reluctant now to even listen to records like Mindcrime and Empire. Is that fair to them, or the "real" QR? Maybe not. All I know is that thanks to the last couple of QR records, I'm unable to take the sound of his voice seriously.

Agree with the band choice, post-2003.

I am, and remain an unabashed diehard fan of the ORIGINAL LINEUP of Queensryche. That is the EP-HITNF, and all the songs on Tribe that Degarmo PLAYED ON (he didn't necessarily have to have a co-write, I'm just talking about his sound mixed in with the rest of the guys.

That said, I also support Q2k and the non-Degarmo Tribe songs. After that, Tate took command, and the last three studio records -- Mindcrime II, American Soldier and now Dedicated to Chaos -- have been creatively controlled through Geoff Tate, and they have all suffered greatly for it.

Those three records are essentially Tate solo albums. Tate guided the direction, employed outside songwriters to write the majority of all those albums, and dictated the style and creative aspect of everything. And while from a solo artist perspective, I respect Tate for following his inner muse, doing it within the boundaries of "Queensryche" was dead wrong, as this last vomit-inducing pop babble Dedicated to Chaos shows.

This "band" totally blew it. They blew it after Tribe. What they SHOULD have done was sat down, laid all their cards out on the table -- personal, musical, future goals, etc., and found out of they could achieve some sort of common ground between the four remaining original members. if not, they should have disbanded. If so, they should have focused on that common ground and worked at it.

Instead, they let the singer's wife manage the band in a short-term cash grab way with no look toward the long term except the Tates' private retirement fund, and let Geoff be "Queensryche."  STUPID! STUPID STUPID. The band didn't even realize the limitations of their own chemistry. Chris was the guy that understood where Ed, Scott and Whip were coming from, and where Geoff was coming from, and had the ability and power within the band to forget a cohesive sound and make everyone get where the other was coming from. the was the glue.

They didn't allow anyone else to come in and have that power and they should have. They should have found a permanent replacement for chris (kelly gray was to be that, but they got rid of him because of the really bad fan reaction), but instead, they just let Geoff take control, and make it a tate family affair. It's sickening.

Unlike PC, however, I can listen to the original lineup songs, including hearing Geoff's voice and still be an uber fan over it. It's probably because I've known how this was going for so long, I was able to let my disgust with how things ARE blow over enough so it now doesn't affect my love of what things once were. In fact, I appreciate Degarmo much more than I ever did, and the sound he and Wilton combined to make. It was really something special.

But my lord, yeah, Queensryche absolutely shit the bed in recent times. I enjoyed their 2009 release American Soldier, but again, with no one in the band writing songs, it's a solo record with musical performances from Queensryche, and I sorta view it as such.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
DT, The Killers, Jay-Z, and for a while Bob Dylan.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
The Killers
Oh God, Brandon Flowers' ego  :facepalm:

Offline Big Crouton

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »

Aw jingle.boy :-[  II Sides is their masterpiece!!!

Not sure if you meant that to be green or not.  You`re right to some degree... III wasn`t bad, but I`d hardly call it their masterpiece.  I actually had a brain fart (only 1 cup of joe so far) and meant to call out Waiting for the Punchline.  That was bad.
Disagreed. 

Strongly.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=19118.0

That said, it's pretty easy to understand how a big fan of their first three albums wouldn't care for WFTP.  But it is a fantastic album regardless.
I'm not sure how literal 'God created man in his own image' is, but it would be pretty crappy if there was a god but he died a while ago of appendicitus.

www.mercuryrecordings.ca

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
Incubus. The new album sucks and the last one wasn't that great either.

ans Oceansize because they broke up and they were awesome.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
Incubus. The new album sucks and the last one wasn't that great either.

ans Oceansize because they broke up and they were awesome.

And how would you know the new album sucks yet. ;) :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »
I didn't even realize it wasn't out yet. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »
I didn't even realize it wasn't out yet. :lol

HA!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
The Offspring blew it. Conspiracy of One had a few good moments, Splinter was both short and meh, and the new one sounded like they weren't trying and were even bored playing on it. Yet Smash and Ixnay On The Hombre are both fantastic albums.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
Porcupine Tree blew it.  When Steven Wilson died.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Nirvana blew it all over Kurt Cobains garage floor

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »
While it's an obvious choice, Celtic Frost. Never has a band blown it more than they did. Even Morbid Angel's recent faceplant doesn't rank with Cold Lake.

I agree with Queensryche; I remember back in 1994 when Promised Land came out and MTV had a listening party for it, and people kept saying "I just wish it was heavier." In retrospect, it was a pretty good album, but it was the last hurrah for the band, who is falling further and further into a well with every release.

Here's one I often think about: Iced Earth. Around the time Horror Show came out, I thought that Iced Earth was ready to break through big time. Then Barlow leaves and Owens joins, and I REALLY think they're going to break through huge...and it didn't happen. The two Something Wicked albums were bloated, overly long, and dull. Owens really didn't feel right on the first one, Barlow mailed it in on the second. Add to that a revolving door of musicians that never allows the band to gel musically, and I've just about reached the point that I don't care about them anymore. Their next release with Stu Block is the moment of truth for them for me.

One that will likely get a lot of people going "wait, what?": Manowar. Oh sure, you always had to deal with Joey's insane ego, but the first four Manowar albums are otherwise rock solid hard rock/metal. Then they get a major label deal and release a total hair metal album, and since then there's only been a handful of Manowar studio albums, culminating in the absolutely terrible Gods of War. When Manowar can't do cheesy metal right something's gone horribly wrong.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
I'm surprised there's been no mention of Disturbed.  The Sickness was a gift to nu-metal in its time.  Then came Believe which was *okay* despite the shift towards hard rock, if only because there were still individual songs in the mix that harkened back to the original; none of them captured the spirit of The Sickness though.  Ten Thousand Fists sorta tried to bring those two sounds together again, but even the supposedly Sickness-style songs still sounded way more hard rock than actual nu-metal (or even just plain metal, for that matter).  Every album since has sounded like shit.

And also David Draiman has gradually grown into the most overconfident, self-worshipping douche.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
I'm surprised there's been no mention of Disturbed. 

Well, you can't "blow it" if you never "had" it  :biggrin:

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
30 Seconds to Mars

Dream Theater (Well, lets see how this new album is first)

Pink Floyd

Linkin Park (Arguably, varies on weather or not they "had it" to begin with)
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
I dunno, personally I think LP is on the rise.  But hey, agree to disagree.

Another one: Eminem on Encore and onward.  I hate hate hate Love the Way You Lie.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
To all the guys saying DT and PF and stuff, I was looking for more bands that completely "blew" it. Not bands that just disappointed you again and again. I mean bands that got so bad you can't even think about listening to them anymore. 

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:12 PM »
Circus maximus.... one of my favorite bands but WHERE IS A NEW ALBUM
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »

What new album?  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
Def Leppard is the biggest that comes to mind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »

What new album?  :lol

exactly.... >:( >:( >:(
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
30 Seconds to Mars

Pink Floyd

Man, besides Linkin Park, which is still questionable, I've got to disagree with every one of your picks.

DT and Floyd blew it?!  Really?!  #0 Seconds To Mars is being shown on every music TV station every 3 seconds from This Is War and the album has sold well in this market.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say P.O.D. They lost that hard rap metal edge i absolutely loved about them. Then Sonny started to sing, the riffs just werent good, as was the songwriting. The Fundamental Elements of Southtown is one of my favorite albums, and they haven't made an album half as good as that after they released Satellite.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
Personally I thought they had it till Testify, but yeah, for sure them.  I still listen to Satellite, the self-titled and Testify, but I haven't bothered with a single release since.

Same with Sevendust actually, but that was a personal choice that was justified afterwards by a sudden drop in quality. :p

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
30 Seconds to Mars

Pink Floyd

Man, besides Linkin Park, which is still questionable, I've got to disagree with every one of your picks.

DT and Floyd blew it?!  Really?!  #0 Seconds To Mars is being shown on every music TV station every 3 seconds from This Is War and the album has sold well in this market.

I think I misunderstood the question to be honest. I listed the bands that I used to love (apart from Linkin Park) but then went on to become worse (IMO).

I know 30 Seconds' new album has skyrocketed them onto the main stage, but I don't think it has anything on the first two records.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
I'm surprised there's been no mention of Disturbed.  The Sickness was a gift to nu-metal in its time.  Then came Believe which was *okay* despite the shift towards hard rock, if only because there were still individual songs in the mix that harkened back to the original; none of them captured the spirit of The Sickness though.  Ten Thousand Fists sorta tried to bring those two sounds together again, but even the supposedly Sickness-style songs still sounded way more hard rock than actual nu-metal (or even just plain metal, for that matter).  Every album since has sounded like shit.

And also David Draiman has gradually grown into the most overconfident, self-worshipping douche.

Believe was a great album, and I liked the shift towards more Hard Rock rather than Nu Metal, but The Sickness is still a phenomenal album. Ten Thousand Fists was also great. Really only two songs that were just filler (Decadence and Forgiven). After that you're right, they turned to shit. Indestructible had a few gems though.

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Disturbed. 

Well, you can't "blow it" if you never "had" it  :biggrin:

:\ ::) :tdwn

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2011, 05:26:49 AM »
I mean I liked Believe and TTF, but neither can compare to The Sickness.  And actually when I was a depressed hormonal teenager I really liked Decadence. :lol

And even though I bought Indestructible and I somewhat liked Inside the Fire (operative word being somewhat, obviously), I still haven't even listened to the entire album; I've gotten only about halfway through before I can't stand how shit it is.  I can't bring myself to play another second of it.