Author Topic: Bands that blew it  (Read 12251 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Bands that blew it
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
I'm not that keen on The King of Limbs myself, I think it's good, but one of the bigger let downs I've experienced.
However, calling stuff like Kid A and Amnesiac bad...  :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
Radiohead is one of the most artistically diverse bands of the past 20 years, and they have managed to increase their fanbase over the years despite constantly reinventing themselves.  Yeah, they really blew it. :lol

Was The King of Limbs somewhat of a disappointment?  Sure, and I think a lot of fans would also say so, but you can't knock it out of the park every time.  It's still a good CD; just not as good as most of their others.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
WTF The King of Limbs is awesome!! You guys are weirdos...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »
Radiohead is one of the most artistically diverse bands of the past 20 years, and they have managed to increase their fanbase over the years despite constantly reinventing themselves.  Yeah, they really blew it. :lol

This, and TKoL is one of those albums that requires patience and growing to fully enjoy it. On my first listen I hated it, but now I'd say it's a top 5 release of 2011.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »

This, and TKoL is one of those albums that requires patience and growing to fully enjoy it. On my first listen I hated it, but now I'd say it's a top 5 release of 2011.

This!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
  TKoL is one of those albums that requires patience and growing to fully enjoy it. On my first listen I hated it, but now I'd say it's a top 5 release of 2011.

I agree with the first thing, about it being a grower, but I can't agree about it being a top 5 2011 release.  This year has been too great for music for a CD I would merely call "good" to be top 5.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2011, 11:56:33 AM »
TKoL is a top 4 Radiohead album. Behind the obvious 3 albums though.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »

I agree with the first thing, about it being a grower, but I can't agree about it being a top 5 2011 release.  This year has been too great for music for a CD I would merely call "good" to be top 5.

This.  It was a good album, but far from being amazing, and it's sort of been left behind in my ranking after all the other fantastic releases this year.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:50 PM »
TKOL doesn't really have any bad songs, but very few moments on the whole album reaches the brilliant-level of the band's other albums.
Codex and Lotus Flower are the only songs that would make it to my top30 Radiohead-songs.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2011, 12:02:34 PM »
I like to think I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, but I couldn't make it past the first track of King of Limbs without thinking "people actually listen to this shit?"
You act like TKoL is some weird, absurd, nonsensical record. It really isn't.

It's a solid album, though it would probably won't break into my all-time favorites by Radiohead, which I don't think is shameful at all.

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
I don't know if one can say that Genesis blew it, but as far as I'm concerned, their earlier work I will listen to anyday while their later stuff doesn't interest me. But you can hardly accuse a band of their stature and wealth of blowing it just because they had a change of taste, especially when that change is what made them rich and famous... I wish they'd stuck to prog, but that's just me.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »
I like Radiohead. I don't love them, but they're alot like Thrice for me in that I respect them and I understand why they have such a strong fanbase.

That being said...I watched the video for Lotus Flower when it came out, and thought to myself "what the hell is this shit."
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
I watched the video for Lotus Flower when it came out, and thought to myself "what the hell is this shit."

The birth of a pretty funny meme is what it was. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7RI4Ka_CQ

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
Trivium for me.

Their debut (when you consider their age) was more than decent. Sophomore effort Ascendancy is on of the best metalcore albums ever released if not THE best. Their third effort The Crusade was utter gash (same thing as DT suffered with 8vm actually except Trivium thought it'd be cool to write the record Metallica should have written instead of St Anger whereas DT wrote muse/u2 songs + an epic). They never really recovered from that. Such a shame. They were on top of the world at the age of 20 in 2005.
See, I completly disagree. Then again, I hate their first couple albums. I feel like they really learned how to write legitimately good metal around the time they wrote The Crusade. Following that, they truly refined themselves by combining everything they've done to this day and released Shogun.

They have only gotten stronger if you ask me.

Also lol @ u for calling Octavarium shitty.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
But it is shitty.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
Holy fuck.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
i s'pose radiohead is another band i could list off here...i was a pretty big fan a decade back, but i couldnt get into hail the thief at all (okay, there was one track i liked)...i just stopped with them after that. it didnt exactly ruin their older material for me, but it can be said that i hardly ever spin them anymore.

but ya, to the best of my knowledge, i haven't heard a single note from the past two albums. i think i've heard/read good things bout in rainbows, maybe i should give it a try.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
Guys, not liking one or even a string of records by a band isn't "blowing it". I'm talking about bands who have, like, a decade of utter shit with few or any redeemable qualities, where many fans (rather than just you) felt completely isolated. Bands like DT or Radiohead might have disappointed, but they're far from having blown it. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2011, 07:09:35 PM »
Guys, not liking one or even a string of records by a band isn't "blowing it". I'm talking about bands who have, like, a decade of utter shit with few or any redeemable qualities, where many fans (rather than just you) felt completely isolated. Bands like DT or Radiohead might have disappointed, but they're far from having blown it. 

In that case, Metallica is the only logical answer.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
i thought you simply meant bands that one really liked, only to stop liking to the point of even no longer listening to the earlier material that one really, really liked. {of which 90% of the posts didnt seem to take into account}

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »

In that case, Metallica is the only logical answer.

How so?  I am pretty sure they could announce a tour tomorrow, with no new album or anything, and still sell out most or all of the shows.