Author Topic: Six Flags is such a ripoff  (Read 4962 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Six Flags is such a ripoff
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »
Went today with some friends.  The water park was a blast, and we couldn't have asked for better weather (85, sunny and not a cloud in the sky), but my goodness, what a ripoff the prices are now!  Unless you have a coupon or a deal or something, it is $45 to get in, and $15 to freaking park.  Thank goodness a friend has a season pass (she goes all of the time since she has two small children who love the water park), so we parked for free, my man oh man, what a ripoff that place is.  Even the cost of drinks and food is outrageous (like ball park outrageous), but we were smart and brought coolers of food and drinks. :biggrin:

But if nothing else, this ride is awesome:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rollerfan/1389975462/

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Six Flags is such a ripoff
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
I also hate the speed pass you need to pay or you'll wait in line forever.  Just another scam to make more money.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
It being a Tuesday, it wasn't too crowded, so the lines were relatively short (at least in the water park), and I was with a good group, so I can't complain about that too much, but on a busy day, yes, it would be a nightmare.  

But I was just blown away by how ridiculous their prices are now (I hadn't gone in years).  

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
Last time I hit a Six Flags (Magic Mountain), I purchased my ticket in advance off of eBay and got it for $16.50 shipped.  People get discounted tickets for all kinds of reasons and sell them off for cheap.  I got a ticket for the local one here from a retail ticket scalper outlet for about half price a few years ago. 

Of course, even with a $17 ticket I still spent a cool bill.  $20 to park.  $12 for a $4 tube of spf-35 (my own damn fault).  God knows how much for the Flash Pass (still worth it).  $15 for a light lunch.  I had a similar experience here when TWC sent me a free ticket for being a swell customer, I still spent close to $75. 

Nowadays, I'd probably not use a freebee here--our park really sucks.  And,  I'd still happily spend a C-note at Magic Mountain--awesome park.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
Disney is worth every penny El Barto.  There is an amusement park in my home town growing up that 35 minutes from where I live now that blows the Six Flags in Mass out of the water.  I'd rather go there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
Six Flags are hit and miss.  The one here, the original BTW, doesn't get many good rides.  Magic Mountain and [AIUI] Great America are excellent.  Part of the problem is that they rotate their rides from park to park, so only the marquee parks get new, purpose built coasters.  The best coaster out here is the Titan.  You'll wait 60-90 minutes to get on the thing.  There's an identical one at MM that's so extremely ordinary in comparison to the rest of the park that you'll walk right up to it and get on.  It might as well be a kiddy ride to them.

Never been to a Disney Park, but it always seemed like thrill rides weren't really what they were pushing. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
Disney is worth every penny El Barto.  There is an amusement park in my home town growing up that 35 minutes from where I live now that blows the Six Flags in Mass out of the water.  I'd rather go there.

I've been to the Six Flags in Mass. It wasn't anything special.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »
Six Flags are hit and miss.  The one here, the original BTW, doesn't get many good rides.  Magic Mountain and [AIUI] Great America are excellent.  Part of the problem is that they rotate their rides from park to park, so only the marquee parks get new, purpose built coasters.  The best coaster out here is the Titan.  You'll wait 60-90 minutes to get on the thing.  There's an identical one at MM that's so extremely ordinary in comparison to the rest of the park that you'll walk right up to it and get on.  It might as well be a kiddy ride to them.

Never been to a Disney Park, but it always seemed like thrill rides weren't really what they were pushing. 

Yea, Disney is more or less about the experience and atmosphere, and less about the rides.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline jlandrus23

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:47 PM »
Are all the Six Flags the same?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »
Are all the Six Flags the same?

Nope, they're actually all quite different.

The closest one near me (in NJ) has some of the best coasters I've ever been on, while the other Six Flags I've been to (the one I mentioned in my earlier post) is quite lame. :lol
space cadet, pull out.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
Magic mountain is awesome... I havent been to any other ones
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
Magic Mountain is the only Six Flags park worth talking about. Some of the best coasters in the world out there.

However, even though Ohio sucks, every coaster enthusiast needs to get out to Cedar Point, immediately.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
A thread about Six Flags' shitty prices and no one has mentioned the old coke can deal yet? :facepalm:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
However, even though Ohio sucks, every coaster enthusiast needs to get out to Cedar Point, immediately.
I'd certainly like to get out there. 

I'm not real crazy about the trend to make coasters taller and faster when all they do is go up one hill and back.  Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka at SF-NJ just don't look very interesting to me. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
I agree completely, EB. My favorite coasters are the ones that last longer than 10 seconds and bring you through a myriad of differing loops, twists, etc.

A great example is Medusa at SF-NJ, the ride lasts a good 90 seconds and you go through a ton of loops, cork screws and wicked turns.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:52:57 PM »
I agree completely, EB. My favorite coasters are the ones that last longer than 10 seconds and bring you through a myriad of differing loops, twists, etc.

A great example is Medusa at SF-NJ, the ride lasts a good 90 seconds and you go through a ton of loops, cork screws and wicked turns.

Medusa is my favorite ride of all time.  That coaster is so good.  I haven't been there in a while though.  I heard they changed medusa into something else.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
Medusa appears to be pretty much the same ride as Scream at MM, which I thought was the best coaster out there.  Nothing extraordinary, just a good, fun ride.  It also had the benefit of being [comparatively] old fashioned, so there was never more than a five minute wait to get on it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
Yea, the best thing about Medusa was going to the ride, waiting for less than 3 minutes and then going on the coaster like 3 times without having to get off the ride.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
Cedar Point is $48 admission and only $10 parking. It is also the greatest amusement park in the world.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:25 PM »
Cedar Point is $48 admission and only $10 parking. It is also the greatest amusement park in the world.

I love Cedar point - best all around, best value... but Six Flags NJ does give the coasters a run for the money at least.

Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro  (6Flags) is slightly > Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick and Millenium Force (CP) IMO.

But Cedar point has better staff than any park I've been to (outside of Disney - but that's a different animal)... so professional.  Whereas at Six Flags the dudes were racing to see who could finish their restraint safety check first.  I don't want people racing through a safety check   :tdwn.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
The one in NJ is okay. Some of the coasters are great but I hate that "wait in line for an hour for a 20-second ride" shit, even if it is a great rush.
I haven't been to the one in Denver yet (plan on going this summer) but they have a light rail stop so we wouldn't have to pay for parking :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »
Yeah, the Six Flags in MA is kinda lame.  Whenever my family goes, we usually drive down to NJ.

Cedar Point is great too, that was a lot of fun  :tup

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Six Flags Great America is awesome.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »
I go to Six Flags great adventure in NJ a couple times a year because it's 20 minutes from where i live. Best theme park i've ever been to. I went last week and bought the flash pass Gold for the first time. It was worth every cent. The park was packed and i had no problem riding as many rides as i wanted without waiting. WAS AWESOME.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
What's wrong with the Six Flags in Dallas (Arlington)?  The "new" Texas Giant has been reworked so it now has the steepest drop of any coaster (79 degrees), and 2 95-degree turns.  Then there's the Titan, which is almost the tallest structure at the park.

Granted, I haven't been there since I was a kid, though I drive by it every day to and from work.  Still, looks like it'd still be a lot of fun.  But yeah, I've heard the prices have gotten a bit out of hand.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
This is probably why the couple water parks that are nearby Houston advertising free parking and free use of the innertubes...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
What's wrong with the Six Flags in Dallas (Arlington)?  The "new" Texas Giant has been reworked so it now has the steepest drop of any coaster (79 degrees), and 2 95-degree turns.  Then there's the Titan, which is almost the tallest structure at the park.

Granted, I haven't been there since I was a kid, though I drive by it every day to and from work.  Still, looks like it'd still be a lot of fun.  But yeah, I've heard the prices have gotten a bit out of hand.
The new Texas giant is supposed to be excellent.  The Titan is a fine coaster.  The problem is that neither of them are spectacular and they're the two best rides out there, by far.  Batman and Mr Freeze aren't bad, but they're pretty generic in theme park terms.  Shockwave and JRS are both antiques (though Shockwave is still a lot of fun).  Flashback never works.  That's it.  7 coasters, only two of which are standouts and they're fairly average.   Compared to a real coaster park, like Magic Mountain, it's just disappointing.  To be fair, it's still worth it to ride what they have, and I'd certainly recommend it to someone who's never been.  At the same time,  I grew up here and going to Six Flags was a awesome thing to do, and once I went to a really good theme park, it made it clear how substandard ours is.  Like I said, of the 12 real coasters at SFMM,  Dallas's best ride by far would be in the bottom 6. 
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »
Last time I hit a Six Flags (Magic Mountain), I purchased my ticket in advance off of eBay and got it for $16.50 shipped.  People get discounted tickets for all kinds of reasons and sell them off for cheap.  I got a ticket for the local one here from a retail ticket scalper outlet for about half price a few years ago. 

That's really cool, but how do you know the tickets aren't fake?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »

That's really cool, but how do you know the tickets aren't fake?
For one, his detailed feedback was a long string of tickets were great A+++++++'s.  Plus, I corresponded with him a bit before purchasing.  The other thing is that if it had been fake, I'd have just bought a ticket at the gate and bit out a whopping $16.5, so I didn't worry too much about it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
I absolutely love roller coasters.

Six Flags Great America is awesome.
. That's my hometown park. It's definitely above average. The Eagle probably the best wooden coaster I've been on. (But on haven't been on any of the legendary ones). Also it's the best ride in the park. After going to Cedar Point, I've realized how boring Raging Bull is. It's practically forceless with no airtime.

Great Adventure is the best as far as Six Flags goes. But Cedar Point is my favorite park of all time. The roller coasters save for a few are top notch. The Maverick is my favorite coaster. The small ride packs a punch and proves that speed and height are no match to creative design and an amazing track layout.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
My favorites are el toro, kingda ka, and nitro.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »

The new Texas giant is supposed to be excellent.  The Titan is a fine coaster.  The problem is that neither of them are spectacular and they're the two best rides out there, by far.  Batman and Mr Freeze aren't bad, but they're pretty generic in theme park terms.  Shockwave and JRS are both antiques (though Shockwave is still a lot of fun).  Flashback never works.  That's it.  7 coasters, only two of which are standouts and they're fairly average.   Compared to a real coaster park, like Magic Mountain, it's just disappointing.  To be fair, it's still worth it to ride what they have, and I'd certainly recommend it to someone who's never been.  At the same time,  I grew up here and going to Six Flags was a awesome thing to do, and once I went to a really good theme park, it made it clear how substandard ours is.  Like I said, of the 12 real coasters at SFMM,  Dallas's best ride by far would be in the bottom 6. 

I grew up here too, Barto.  The Batman coaster looks very cool.  But it now makes sense why I never see Flashback working.  Most days I'm driving home just in time to wave at the people upside-down on the Shockwave. 

The old Texas Giant would've never seen me again after what happened.  What turned out to be the day Princess Diana died, my wife and I took an out-of-town niece to the park.  We rode the Giant, JRS, etc.  But at the end of the day, her niece wanted to ride the Giant one more time.  No problem.  So I thought.  When the coaster hit the bottom of the first dip, the bar holding my wife down... popped up. :eek  I grabbed the handle on the other side of her in the car and held her down with everything I had with one arm, while trying to push down and re-engage the bar with the other.  With the force of the coaster, centrifugal force swinging me around in the corners, I never could secure it.  We made it to the end of the ride, freaked out.  We told the kid manning the ride what happened.  He kinda shrugged his shoulders when we told him NOT to sit anyone in that car until it got fixed.  Of course he ignored us. :facepalm:  But it was enough to scare us pretty good.
Only been back once since then, and that was about 10 years ago.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
At MM I always loved the Ninja and Batman rides, those were so much fun.  The last time I went I remember they had a new ride involving a dragon design and we waited 2 hours to get on that thing and it was such a blast.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
At MM I always loved the Ninja and Batman rides, those were so much fun.  The last time I went I remember they had a new ride involving a dragon design and we waited 2 hours to get on that thing and it was such a blast.

The Mike Mangini theme park is amazing!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »

The Mike Mangini theme park is amazing!
Psh, I was talking about the Majora's Mask theme park thank you very much! :P