6 (3.1%)
i will first read the reviews before listening to it
0 (0%)
Devin Townsend
12 (6.3%)
I will listen to it when I feel like listening to it
12 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: Will you listen to the Single tomorrow or will you wait for the whole album?  (Read 9716 times)

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
So...well i do not have to think about it.. i will play/repeat it until the album comes out.
heck i'll even put it on my phone so i can listen to it whereever i can (not the shower or toilet though).

tomorrow,
new guitar (riffs / solo)
new melodies (vocals)
new lyrics
new drums!!!!
new synth sounds.......and even
maybe we hear a bass!
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline blackngold29

Every new album I say I'm gonna wait until release day to listen, but then I get too excited when the single comes out that I always break down and listen.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Of course I'll listen. I'm not going to blindly buy the album when it comes out.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
I will happily enjoy a taste of what's to come.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline nikatapi

I will certainly listen to it for about a week non-stop :hat

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
indeed, i will.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
definitely, but ill try my best not to wear it out

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll listen to it many times.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Fo' shizzle! 

I mean, I'll certainly be listening.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline yorost

• Inactive
I'll listen once or twice and then wait for the album.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I'll listen to it enough to be familiar before seeing them live next month.

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
i have to agree with a few posts back...singles can be overkill..

you know that's hte only thing you will hear till sept 13...so you play it over and over again...and than when the albums comes out ..that's the track you will skip because you already heard it till death....
so yes a week full on and than totally forget about the song..
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Needs option for "I'll listen to it if I feel like it"
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
I'll definitely listen to it. Maybe not over and over, but two or three listens are likely.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ElliottTamer

I'll certainly listen to it. If I like it (which I'm hoping I will), I will probably listen to it a whole lot, specially until the album is released.
Seriously, I don't think you can wear a good DT song out so easily... When driving (which I do quite a bit) I listen to very little other than DT and I haven't gotten tired of a single song I like (even started liking some I didn't...)

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
Needs option for "I'll listen to it if I feel like it"

Fixed.

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
definitely, but ill try my best not to wear it out
This. I wanted to only listen a couple times, but I know I won't be able to resist listening to it more  :biggrin:. Besides, since they're revealing the first song, I feel a little less guilty, since it'll feel less like listening to a single in the middle of an album.

Offline robwebster

I'll listen to it once, and then go, "Alright. That was brilliant, so let's leave this in its box so I don't get sick of it."

Then about half an hour later, I'll convince myself that one listen isn't enough to absorb a song, so I'll listen to it again, as I try to absorb all its details.

Two hours later, once more. "Three times ain't too bad, let's make this the last."

Until eventually, admitting defeat, I stick it on loop and listen to it five times in a row.

It's an endurance test. I know I'm going to give in and play it to death before the album's even released, it's just a matter of how long I can stretch that process out for before I stop at "Ohhhh fuck this for a game of soldiers." Considering bypassing steps one to three, because let's face it - it's going to happen.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
Of course i wil...

Tin

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
I will most defitnely listen to the single. There is no way I will be able to resist the temptation. :laugh:
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline John94

Of course I will listen to it...

but what if its an instrumental....

Offline Lowdz

Shame there wasn't an option for Abso-frakkin-lutely.

It's new DT. Thewre's no way I could not listen to it. Over and over again. Must say it came out of the blue a bit.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I'll listen to it once, and then go, "Alright. That was brilliant, so let's leave this in its box so I don't get sick of it."

Then about half an hour later, I'll convince myself that one listen isn't enough to absorb a song, so I'll listen to it again, as I try to absorb all its details.

Two hours later, once more. "Three times ain't too bad, let's make this the last."

Until eventually, admitting defeat, I stick it on loop and listen to it five times in a row.

It's an endurance test. I know I'm going to give in and play it to death before the album's even released, it's just a matter of how long I can stretch that process out for before I stop at "Ohhhh fuck this for a game of soldiers." Considering bypassing steps one to three, because let's face it - it's going to happen.

Pfffft.  Why bother playing this kind of game with yourself?  My ears will be hearing approximately one thing for the next hour or two after 11AM.  And I'm not sure how much other music I'll be listening to the rest of the day.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
If my track record for new albums coming out holds true, this is what will happen: I will debate with myself all day about whether to listen to it.  Come 11:00, I'll decide, absolutely and without question, not to listen to it until the album comes out.  Come 12:00, I'll listen to it anyway.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
It's inevitable that I will play the song to death, resurrect it, and play it some more.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline robwebster

Pfffft.  Why bother playing this kind of game with yourself?  My ears will be hearing approximately one thing for the next hour or two after 11AM.  And I'm not sure how much other music I'll be listening to the rest of the day.
Aye - hence considering bypassing steps one to three.

It stems from a genuine desire, though - part of me genuinely does want to keep it pristine. As soon as I hear it, I'll go "I do not want to ruin you. I just want to cuddle you and kiss you and let you sleep." It's a very real battle - two parts of my mind duking it out between each other, and I won't want to let the lovely sensible part admit defeat that easily.

The only thing is - I wonder if "novelty value" is time-related or play-related. I've got albums I've only listened to twice that have lost their novelty value a while back. So... maybe it's best to churn all of the rose-tinted goodness out of that song before it becomes ordinary?

For all I know, the sensible part of my mind is fighting from a flawed position. In which case... psssh!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

It stems from a genuine desire, though - part of me genuinely does want to keep it pristine. As soon as I hear it, I'll go "I do not want to ruin you. I just want to cuddle you and kiss you and let you sleep." It's a very real battle - two parts of my mind duking it out between each other, and I won't want to let the lovely sensible part admit defeat that easily.

The only thing is - I wonder if "novelty value" is time-related or play-related. I've got albums I've only listened to twice that have lost their novelty value a while back. So... maybe it's best to churn all of the rose-tinted goodness out of that song before it becomes ordinary?

For all I know, the sensible part of my mind is fighting from a flawed position. In which case... psssh!

In fairness, I do understand why not listening to the song a lot is a good idea.  It feels like a chore to hear it with the rest of the album when it comes out.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

In fairness, I do understand why not listening to the song a lot is a good idea.  It feels like a chore to hear it with the rest of the album when it comes out.
This really hampered Systematic Chaos for me - seeing as they'd released Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night and Forsaken. I only listened to Forsaken once before the album, but there was still this twenty-minute deluge of "heard it..." The first track doesn't have that so much. You don't have to wade through it, it's more of a prelude.

I did refuse to listen to A Nightmare to Remember the day before BCSL came out. They were playing it on the actual real life radio, and I didn't want to spoil too many surprises. I'm certainly gonna spoil the hell out of this single, though.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
I will definitely listen to it right away, and probably listen to it a lot. I'm really looking forward to it.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Fran521

I will definitely listen to it right away, and probably listen to it a lot. I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Blazinarps

Will it be streaming just once, or is it going to stay up there to stream at will?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I'll wait. I really wanna hear it but then after it's over I'm gonna really wanna hear more from the album so I think it's easier to just resist temptation altogether.

I realize they'll probably release another song before September or at least make it available for listening in some form but I guess I don't like feeling like the album is "that one song" plus "all the others" since I figure I'd end up listening to the pre-release track(s) a hell of a lot in order to satiate my anticipation.

The only remaining option is to go the way of the leak. I'm not against that altogether but I have a few issues. First, there can be numerous differences from the leak to the final copy(production value, arrangements, track titles, track order, flute solos.) Also, it destroys the Christmas morning vibe of release day(with Octavarium, simply making it through the first four tracks accomplished the same even though I bought it.)

Fwiw I won't be doing the leak and will just hold off till the release.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline robwebster

Also, it destroys the Christmas morning vibe of release day.
I've believed this for so, so many years, but never been able to put it into words. That's such an eloquent little phrase. So simple and so tidy. Do you mind if I borrow it and repeatedly use it until I've bludgeonned it into the ground?

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
I will listen to it of course :) If I would find something unofficial I would not then. But if it's announced like this, nothing stands in my way ;)