6 (3.1%)
i will first read the reviews before listening to it
0 (0%)
Devin Townsend
12 (6.3%)
I will listen to it when I feel like listening to it
12 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: Will you listen to the Single tomorrow or will you wait for the whole album?  (Read 9678 times)

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
I'll never listen to it. Never.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Also, it destroys the Christmas morning vibe of release day.
I've believed this for so, so many years, but never been able to put it into words. That's such an eloquent little phrase. So simple and so tidy. Do you mind if I borrow it and repeatedly use it until I've bludgeonned it into the ground?

By all means go ahead. You're one of my 5 favorite posters so I'm sincerely honored if you wanna jock my style :coolio
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline krands85

I don't have the willpower to do anything other than listen to it about 4000 times before September  ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline peruvianskynewhampshire

• I worship bacon,particularly black pepper bacon.Bow to the bacon gods
  • I saw a white light. Shining there before me
Well duhhhhhh,after all the waiting and anticipation about the drummer and what the new cd will sound like,to not listen to it would be a insult. Of course its your choice to insult them but an insult it would be  :biggrin:
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline yorost

• Inactive
I don't follow how it would be an insult to them if someone waits for the whole album before listening.

Offline TheCor

I'll definitely listen to it a few times right away tomorrow, how much I listen to it after that depends on how much I like it.  

I don't follow how it would be an insult to them if someone waits for the whole album before listening.

Its called being sarcastic,  :facepalm:
life goes by to fast,if you dont stop and take a look around it will pass you by

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
I will definately listen to it.  I wont play headgames with myself like some of you  :loser:

just listen to it already.  Thats what singles are meant to be.  Its foreplay.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I will listen to over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
I will listen to it, but if it sucks, not over and over again.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Its called being sarcastic,  :facepalm:
Not my fault I'm dense.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
I'll have a listen tomorrow. I'll try not to listen many times until the album release though, but once I've heard it I will know the song well anyway.

maybe we hear a bass!
I'm not so sure. If JM dropped that HORRIBLE distortion from BC&SL and play mostly clean, then we may hear quite some bass. Distortion on = drowning in the guitars. If they haven't made the bass sound better this time Petrucci sure lacks understanding for bass as a producer, the producer should know what works.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not my fault I'm dense.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't realize he was being sarcastic either.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Not my fault I'm dense.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't realize he was being sarcastic either.

sorry guys, im a  :loser:    was trying to be funny and failed miserably. please take this :flame: and set me ablaze so I never have a chance to defame the hallow DT forums...  Now thats sarcasm :biggrin:

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
I will most definitely be listening to the single tomorrow.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'll have a listen tomorrow. I'll try not to listen many times until the album release though, but once I've heard it I will know the song well anyway.

maybe we hear a bass!
I'm not so sure. If JM dropped that HORRIBLE distortion from BC&SL and play mostly clean, then we may hear quite some bass. Distortion on = drowning in the guitars. If they haven't made the bass sound better this time Petrucci sure lacks understanding for bass as a producer, the producer should know what works.

I'm sure that was not a "production" issue, but more of a "mixing" issue. Sure, JM put the "distortion lol" effect in his pedalboard and MP said "lol heavy, balls cool! we're staying with that", but with proper mixing bass (Distorted or not) can compliment guitars quite nicely, like Train of Thought for example.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I'm sure that was not a "production" issue, but more of a "mixing" issue. Sure, JM put the "distortion lol" effect in his pedalboard and MP said "lol heavy, balls cool! we're staying with that", but with proper mixing bass (Distorted or not) can compliment guitars quite nicely, like Train of Thought for example.

Unless I'm remembering the making of Train of Thought videos completely incorrectly, I don't think the bass on ToT is actually very distorted, if it's distorted at all.

Having a lot of distortion on bass can work (Trujillo's bass on Death Magnetic is super distorted but sounds great on the Guitar Hero mixes), but on BCSL it didn't.  It's not really a mixing issue either.  On the unmixed Wither and TBOT demos you can't hear the bass worth a damn.  Maybe it could have been saved in the mix, but my inability to achieve any results with the stems is highly discouraging.

Yeah, JM shouldn't have thrown that tone on his bass, but it is kinda a producer issue.  JP and/or MP should have said "hey, wait a second, I can't really hear the bass.  We need to do something with the tone."  But JR said before the album was released that the bass sounded better than ever, so that should say quite a lot of things about how DT approached their sound at the time.  Hopefully now it's different.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Remember the three ending scenarios in Wayne's World?

The really happy one will be that this single is going to be a major hit; bigger than Pull Me Under.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Unless I'm remembering the making of Train of Thought videos completely incorrectly, I don't think the bass on ToT is actually very distorted, if it's distorted at all.

Having a lot of distortion on bass can work (Trujillo's bass on Death Magnetic is super distorted but sounds great on the Guitar Hero mixes), but on BCSL it didn't.  It's not really a mixing issue either.  On the unmixed Wither and TBOT demos you can't hear the bass worth a damn.  Maybe it could have been saved in the mix, but my inability to achieve any results with the stems is highly discouraging.

Yeah, JM shouldn't have thrown that tone on his bass, but it is kinda a producer issue.  JP and/or MP should have said "hey, wait a second, I can't really hear the bass.  We need to do something with the tone."  But JR said before the album was released that the bass sounded better than ever, so that should say quite a lot of things about how DT approached their sound at the time.  Hopefully now it's different.

I'm guessing the dist. pedal was used at the beginning of As I am with the bass harmonics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

I'm guessing the dist. pedal was used at the beginning of As I am with the bass harmonics.

I've always thought Petrucci was playing along with Myung there.  I'm not actually 100% sure.
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I will listen to it all night long tomorrow. I don't burn out on music, I take it in and form opinions, but I've never burned out on music. Tomorrow night will be repeated listening, then I'll go back to listening to the plethora of music I have, with some OtBoA mixed in probably every day for good measure.

Regarding the bass in Wither: I can hear it great, and I thought it sounded great on that song.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I will listen to it all night long tomorrow. I don't burn out on music, I take it in and form opinions, but I've never burned out on music. Tomorrow night will be repeated listening, then I'll go back to listening to the plethora of music I have, with some OtBoA mixed in probably every day for good measure.

Regarding the bass in Wither: I can hear it great, and I thought it sounded great on that song.

It's fine in the verses, but totally disappears when it flips to distorted mode in the choruses and bridge sections.
Over and over again

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
I'm gonna wait, I like hearing albums without having heard material from them before :)

Offline N4Player

So excited to hear the song a million times over.  I just hope it's not a radio edit and that we can download it from iTunes soon.

Offline bss4life15

I will try to wait for the album to come out but it will probably last for about 5 seconds then i'm probably going to listen to the song about 3 times before i run out of pairs of pants then just give up on wearing them when trying to listen to it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

I've always thought Petrucci was playing along with Myung there.  I'm not actually 100% sure.

Reap, do you have the Live at Budokan DVD?  You'll see that Myung plays it by himself.

Also I will listen to it tomorrow one time less than JayOctavarium.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jlandrus23

I'll listen to it about 4 times, then another 4 times. It's been a long time waiting for some DT.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

It's fine in the verses, but totally disappears when it flips to distorted mode in the choruses and bridge sections.

Hmm, funny you mention that because that is what I was basing my comment on. Let me go listen again, will edit post when I get through.

Edit: I wouldn't say "totally disappears." It's just that, he blends right in to the point that his presence is there, but that's it. Just there. And that is thanks to the distortion he used. I do wish he would go to how it was on ToT, the bass on that album is great. Same with FII.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:21:47 PM by Jamesman »

Offline Beautiful Agony

• My hovercraft is full of eels
I will listen to it tomorrow and then everyday until the album comes out.

:metal

Offline ThatGuitarGuy

*cough* an example of distorted bass that sounds eargasmic *cough*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3Yhs8q7oM

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

Well, I don't think I said TOT bass had distortion  :lol What I meant was that a well mixed bass will shine with or without distortion. I, for one, love the bass mix in TOT for many reasons you have explained  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
First one. Devin Townsend as well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Of course I'll listen to it! But not too many times: it loses its strength compared to the other songs if I listen to it almost every day for 2 months.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Of course I'll listen to it! But not too many times: it loses its strength compared to the other songs if I listen to it almost every day for 2 months.
absolutely that. I ruined my BC&SL experience by overplaying the first two tracks :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Nodoby wants to read the reviews before listening to it... Very well, because when The Spirit Carries On documentary pt.3 was out on youtube, I turned on to Roadrunner channel and the first commentary below the screen was" So, now when we know that Mangini is a new drummer can we get a movie with all auditions?"  :censored