Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344523 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1925 on: July 25, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »
Well...

you smell like poo.
Personal attack, bant.

But yeah, Nick's first sentence is kinda my feeling as well. Sure you COULD define it that way, and conveniently it leads to results that support your argument, but there's no real logical reason to define it that way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1926 on: July 25, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »
What was wrong with the rest of my post muffin?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1927 on: July 25, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
The only trade off solo section I didn't like was in ANTR. JPs solo did nothing for me and JRs moreso because most of it was random noise rather than good shred melody. I wouldn't consider AROP to really be a trade off since they both just have 1 long solo spot. A trade off to me is JP, JR, JP, JR, and while in both Symphony X and DT it was getting old, at least the solos were still enjoyable. It wasn't until ANTR that I thought it was time to stop the trade offs. The Glass Prison has my favorite trade offs. The was before the crazy wackido JR stuff though.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1928 on: July 25, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
The Glass Prison has my favorite trade offs.

Definitely this. There is something really amazing about it, the way that guitar and synth seem to respond to and complement each other. Just great.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #1929 on: July 25, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
Oh, good. :lol

Well, um...

I'd have more to say except I don't get it.  I see tons of great melodies, an instrumental section that actually works, two of JP's best guitar solos, very good lyrics, and one of the most powerful final acts of any DT song.  Apparently a lot of people see boringness and a jarring instrumental section.  Which is weird to me.  One of the only DT instrumental sections I really like is one of the only ones that everyone else doesn't.  Meeehhh.
I think every part of the song is great except the solo section, it just feels so out of place.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1930 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
Nothing, it was just detail. I focussed on the key point being made. :heart

The only trade off solo section I didn't like was in ANTR. JPs solo did nothing for me and JRs moreso because most of it was random noise rather than good shred melody. I wouldn't consider AROP to really be a trade off since they both just have 1 long solo spot. A trade off to me is JP, JR, JP, JR, and while in both Symphony X and DT it was getting old, at least the solos were still enjoyable. It wasn't until ANTR that I thought it was time to stop the trade offs. The Glass Prison has my favorite trade offs. The was before the crazy wackido JR stuff though.
I've never felt that they have to stop because I think they're a part of DT's music and I enjoy them immensely, but yeah I definitely agree that the ANTR one isn't particularly good. Neither of them play very interesting solos in it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1931 on: July 25, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
Nothing, it was just detail. I focussed on the key point being made. :heart

I've never felt that they have to stop because I think they're a part of DT's music and I enjoy them immensely, but yeah I definitely agree that the ANTR one isn't particularly good. Neither of them play very interesting solos in it.

Well I only feel that they need to stop if they aren't even going to try. The solos in ANTR were totally out of place and unnecessary though (something I usually don't say about DT's instrumental sections) especially after the section before it, and considering that song is kind of a mess to begin with, maybe they just didn't know where to take it, and just thought, "hmm let's put some solos here". 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1932 on: July 25, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
Oh, good. :lol

Well, um...

I'd have more to say except I don't get it.  I see tons of great melodies, an instrumental section that actually works, two of JP's best guitar solos, very good lyrics, and one of the most powerful final acts of any DT song.

Lol no. Metropolis does pretty much all of what you said but it does it right and perfectly, my man.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1933 on: July 25, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
The solos in ANTR were totally out of place and unnecessary though (something I usually don't say about DT's instrumental sections) especially after the section before it, and considering that song is kind of a mess to begin with, maybe they just didn't know where to take it, and just thought, "hmm let's put some solos here". 

Huh?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1934 on: July 25, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »
I'd bet good money Zook is dead on with that assumption.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1935 on: July 25, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
The solos in ANTR were totally out of place and unnecessary though (something I usually don't say about DT's instrumental sections) especially after the section before it, and considering that song is kind of a mess to begin with, maybe they just didn't know where to take it, and just thought, "hmm let's put some solos here". 

Huh?

riveting tale, chap.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1936 on: July 25, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »
I actually listened to ANTR a couple of weeks ago for the first time in at least a year, and "mess" is a good word to describe it. It actually baffles me how people think so highly of that song, or even think it's a good song at all.

Then again, I am THE unseasoned fan, and I like the Spice Girls.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline JPX

« Reply #1937 on: July 25, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »

Huh?

riveting tale, chap.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #1938 on: July 26, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »
Well I only feel that they need to stop if they aren't even going to try. The solos in ANTR were totally out of place and unnecessary though (something I usually don't say about DT's instrumental sections) especially after the section before it, and considering that song is kind of a mess to begin with, maybe they just didn't know where to take it, and just thought, "hmm let's put some solos here". 

This. The transition to the instrumental section is one of the worst transitions in their whole discography IMO. It feels tacked on.

Bathing in beautiful agonyyyyyyyBAM GUITAR SOLO

Offline emtee

« Reply #1939 on: July 26, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »

We could put it over the 1 million mark today!

Let's GO....

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1940 on: July 26, 2011, 07:18:07 AM »
^Who cares?

I like ANTR, but I agree that the solo section is out of place, and there isn't any good solos either. But parts like Beautiful Agony and everything before is really good. It's one of the few songs where I can actually visually see what the narrator is trying to portray. The car accident, the hospital room, everything. But yea, after beautiful agony the song is a mess.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline emtee

« Reply #1941 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »
I guess I don't belong here. I get that "who cares" response too often.

See ya all around. Been fun.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1942 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:19 AM »
^Who cares?

I like ANTR, but I agree that the solo section is out of place, and there isn't any good solos either. But parts like Beautiful Agony and everything before is really good. It's one of the few songs where I can actually visually see what the narrator is trying to portray. The car accident, the hospital room, everything. But yea, after beautiful agony the song is a mess.

I agree, although I like the last few minutes quite a bit too. Its just that solo section that ruins it for me, even more so than MP's vocals, which I don't find that annoying.

Don't worry mate, nothing is personal around here. It can be a bit intimidating at first, but stick around and you'll find its a lot less serious than it looks :)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1943 on: July 26, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
^Who cares?

I agree, although I like the last few minutes quite a bit too. Its just that solo section that ruins it for me, even more so than MP's vocals, which I don't find that annoying.

I don't find them annoying either, but I listened to it yesterday, and they are just plain ridiculous.

It's nothing personal, I just think that views and thumbs up and the like aren't really important at at all.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1944 on: July 26, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »
^Who cares?

I don't find them annoying either, but I listened to it yesterday, and they are just plain ridiculous.

It's nothing personal, I just think that views and thumbs up and the like aren't really important at at all.

Your last sentence was much nicer than your "who cares". Maybe you could have put it that way and emtee wouldn't have felt it was a personal attack.IMHO, of course.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1945 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »

^---- Who cares?  Not joking.  Leave the teenage girl drama somewhere else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1946 on: July 26, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »

Better idea:  Leave posts like that somewhere else.  Consider this your warning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1947 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
I hope we can get that dude back.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emtee

« Reply #1948 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »

I'm a 49 year old male. So your off a bit.

Just seems like being optimistic and cheerleading for the band is met with many comments I wouldn't expect at a DT board.

I'll stick around a bit longer and see how things shake out.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1949 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »
Just seems like being optimistic and cheerleading for the band is met with many comments I wouldn't expect at a DT board.

its just an unfortunate part of this board. a fan forum that doesnt like fans to be too animated

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1950 on: July 26, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
Being a prick is not being animated, or constructive or anything that anyone needs or wants on a fan forum.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1951 on: July 26, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »
Being a prick is not being animated, or constructive or anything that anyone needs or wants on a fan forum.
?
i guess i missed something. i just saw that he said:

We could put it over the 1 million mark today!

Let's GO....

which was met with

^Who cares?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1952 on: July 26, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
And why was that necessary?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1953 on: July 26, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
And why was that necessary?

He's defending emtee, not the "Who cares?" bit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1954 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »
.... I knew that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1955 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
:lol

Anyway, I'm sure it's not just us. I've seen plenty of fan forums that made me seriously doubt that descriptor.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1956 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
Nope. The internet is a microcosm of the world. Mostly full of good people and then a few that aren't. No biggie.

Let's let the moment pass and guide this back to the music.

Peace

Offline wammabe

« Reply #1957 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »
I'm actually glad that On The Backs Of Angels is close to a million views. I don't really get why people would not care about that here.

Anyways, I actually like the solo section in A Nightmare To Remember, at least more than the solo section in A Rite of Passage. Though I think that On The Backs Of Angels is a big improvement, the super unrelated solo section thing has been getting a bit old for me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:38:42 AM by wammabe »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1958 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
Mostly full of good people? Oh boy, allow one of us to give you a beginner's guide to the internet...

(I'm on my phone now so I can't really)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1959 on: July 26, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
I'm actually glad that On The Backs Of Angels is close to a million views. I don't really get why people would not care about that here.
Nor me. Although I'm not too chuffed with whatshisface, trying to speak for all of us in a fairly brazen manner.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:15:41 PM by robwebster »