Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344494 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1610 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
Like I said, that wouldn't even make sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TL

« Reply #1611 on: July 06, 2011, 03:18:22 PM »
As ReaP pointed out, how does that not make sense? You'd really think MP would want to be careful about this sort of thing, since he seems to be well aware that any sort of comment he makes on anything remotely DT related is going to be over analyzed.
If he did in fact 'like' what was quoted there, he was either being careless (not clarifying that he was only liking the AM part), or malicious.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1612 on: July 06, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
People hit the like button when someone posts something like "My grandmother isn't doing well, hope she gets better soon." All the time, how is what MP posted any different? Does this mean they like that their grandma's sick and not doing well, or for her to get well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1613 on: July 06, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »
First MTV/VH1 reality TV show drama, and now Facebook drama? This is all very silly.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1614 on: July 06, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
It could go either way, honestly. I'm willing to bet he's more pumped someone can't wait for AM while maybe slightly appreciating them not liking Mangini as much as him. And that's not saying he was going "hell yeah, bro!" to that dig.

Considering past history I could be completely wrong, though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1615 on: July 06, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
As ReaP pointed out, how does that not make sense? You'd really think MP would want to be careful about this sort of thing, since he seems to be well aware that any sort of comment he makes on anything remotely DT related is going to be over analyzed.
If he did in fact 'like' what was quoted there, he was either being careless (not clarifying that he was only liking the AM part), or malicious.
Well, for a start Reap's explanation hinges on MP's recent actions being "bitter and spiteful" which I don't agree with at all. From everything I've seem him say on the matter, he's seemed more sulky and defensive than anything else.

But he still ignored the point I made. It wouldn't make sense because it would contradict (1) the fact that MP wasn't at the show, and (2) MP really likes MM as a drummer and has gone on record in the past as saying so.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1616 on: July 06, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
It could go either way, honestly. I'm willing to bet he's more pumped someone can't wait for AM while maybe slightly appreciating them not liking Mangini as much as him. And that's not saying he was going "hell yeah, bro!" to that dig.

Considering past history I could be completely wrong, though.
Oh for sure, I'm not saying he wasn't happy about the fact that someone preferred him to MM, that's only natural and I think completely ties in with everything we know about MP. But I can't see it being any more than that, for the reasons I already explained.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1617 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
But he still ignored the point I made. It wouldn't make sense because it would contradict (1) the fact that MP wasn't at the show, and (2) MP really likes MM as a drummer and has gone on record in the past as saying so.

What does Portnoy not being at the show have to do with anything? I honestly would be surprised if someone didn't appreciate when a fan said someone else can't play the material they wrote as well as them. If they came up to you and said "Man you run circles around the other guy. He can't play your stuff" who wouldn't be gassed? That's just human nature.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1618 on: July 06, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
(2) MP really likes MM as a drummer and has gone on record in the past as saying so.

So what? MP is still human. He can still feel resentment for not being a part of it. He's not gonna say, "MM can't play as good as me," but he can still be passive aggressive about it, by liking what OTHER people say.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1619 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »
OTBOA gets better with every listen to me. I feel like i'm discovering new drum parts or tid bits with each listen, especially for the drums. I think that is whats going to make this become a classic song from now on. The feeling that the song grows exponentially over time and that it always has a fresh feel. I hope the rest of the album is like this. If so, we may have a new album to reach the DT Top 3 (from the majority of the fans like how the majority agrees I&W and SFAM are their best).

On the MP drama, I think most of you shouldn't be surprised anymore with what MP likes or says. I've just come to accept that he is jealous and bitter about the whole ordeal and he will continue to take his shots at DT.

The best thing DT can do on that subject is go out every night, play flawlessly, and just show the world (and MP) that they feel like they've never missed a beat in this whole ordeal.

From my personal view, MM seems to be doing absolutely fantastic and I enjoy watching all the videos and seeing his touch on the DT songs.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1620 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
I agree with all this^

:tup

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1621 on: July 06, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »
On the MP drama, I think most of you shouldn't be surprised anymore with what MP likes or says. I've just come to accept that he is jealous and bitter about the whole ordeal and he will continue to take his shots at DT.

And if that's true, it only supports my theory that in spite of everything that MP has done this year, he's not truly happy with where he is right now.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1622 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
It takes awhile to adjust to a "new normal". Everyone goes through it an more often than not you're uncomfortable/unhappy in the beginning.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1623 on: July 06, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
(1) the fact that MP wasn't at the show, .

Easy enough to watch a bootleg. Hell, I know I'd be itching to watch a bootleg of it if I was in the band for 25 years and it was my baby. It's always interesting to walk away from something you had a big hand in and see what it's currently churning out without your input anymore.

(2) MP really likes MM as a drummer and has gone on record in the past as saying so.

While that may be true, emotions can get the best of anyone, and can trump such beliefs as his being cool with MM as a person.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1624 on: July 06, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
and just show the world (and MP) that they feel like they've never missed a beat in this whole ordeal.

:icy:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TL

« Reply #1625 on: July 06, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
I definitely think MP's action on this was careless, not spiteful, but again, you really would think that he'd be more careful about this sort of thing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1626 on: July 06, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »

What does Portnoy not being at the show have to do with anything? I honestly would be surprised if someone didn't appreciate when a fan said someone else can't play the material they wrote as well as them. If they came up to you and said "Man you run circles around the other guy. He can't play your stuff" who wouldn't be gassed? That's just human nature.
Indeed, completely agreed, I meant more with the specific remarks about the show, which was the basis of the dig at MM by that guy.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1627 on: July 06, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
I definitely think MP's action on this was careless, not spiteful, but again, you really would think that he'd be more careful about this sort of thing.

Agreed, I said that earlier in the thread...it would be much better if he just stick to posting updates on his current projects and only those things. He just can't seem to do anything else online in the public eye without it looking questionable.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1628 on: July 06, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »
Well, for a start Reap's explanation hinges on MP's recent actions being "bitter and spiteful" which I don't agree with at all. From everything I've seem him say on the matter, he's seemed more sulky and defensive than anything else.

If you don't think MP has been distastefully malicious toward DT every time he's spoken about them, then, I dunno man...

If one of your friends starts sleeping with your ex that you parted with on bitter terms, there's a near zero percent chance he's your friend anymore.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1629 on: July 06, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »

If you don't think MP has been distastefully malicious toward DT every time he's spoken about them, then, I dunno man...

It's really a big stretch to say he has been distastefully malicious toward DT every time he's spoken about them.  So, yeah, I dunno man...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1630 on: July 06, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
It's really a big stretch to say he has been distastefully malicious toward DT every time he's spoken about them.  So, yeah, I dunno man...

But why is that a stretch?  The day after he announced he was leaving he linked to an article suggesting that without him DT had lost its soul.  Everything he says is about how they wronged him and they're treating him terribly.  If all you knew about DT was what MP said about them, you'd think they're the biggest bunch of assholes to ever play rock music.
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1631 on: July 06, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
I don't know if he has been distastefully malicious toward DT every time he's spoken about them, but it goes beyond "sulky and defensive".

I guess the only thing I have left to say here is that up until now, I have felt sorry for Mike. Not anymore. I really think his liking of that tweet was a nasty, nasty thing to do. If I was Mangini, I would feel very hurt.

/soapbox
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1632 on: July 06, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »
I don't know if he has been distastefully malicious toward DT every time he's spoken about them, but it goes beyond "sulky and defensive".

I guess the only thing I have left to say here is that up until now, I have felt sorry for Mike. Not anymore. I really think his liking of that tweet was a nasty, nasty thing to do. If I was Mangini, I would feel very hurt.

/soapbox

I'm with you.

No, I mean I'm really with you (look behind you).

:heart
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline unklejman

« Reply #1633 on: July 06, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
Wait... this thread still has discussion about MP's tweets....  Guys, get a thread.

This song is really great. Massive grower.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1634 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
Wait... this thread still has discussion about MP's tweets....  Guys, get a thread.

This song is really great. Massive grower.
This, I'm working now, and it stucks in my head for 6 hours or something like that... the opening, chorus, weird measured first riff...great, still cannot wait for all album...like all we can't I suppose ;)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1635 on: July 06, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
Something I've noticed listening to OTBOA over and over and watching MM play the song on the youtube clips....This is the first drumming I've been drawn in by since I first heard PT with Gavin Harrison. Not talking drum solos, rather drumming within a band. Not being a drummer myself, I'm usually not automatically drawn to the drums even though I appreciate good drumming within a song. But every time I listen to this song it's the drumming that I keep listening to more than any other instrument. Only Gavin Harrison and Neil Peart have really done that to me while listening to PT and Rush. I absolutely can not wait for the whole album for (I can't believe I'm saying this) the drumming.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1636 on: July 06, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »

/soapbox

Meeehh mangini is busy having a blast with the rest if DT! He knows that the only one losing credibility is MP.

Knguro
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1637 on: July 06, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »
Hey, ariich, I want to move to England with you, where no one ever does anything from a negative point-of-view.   :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1638 on: July 06, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
and just show the world (and MP) that they feel like they've never missed a beat in this whole ordeal.

:icy:
Nice to see you caught that!  :biggrin:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1639 on: July 06, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
the outro is  :metal live, judging by the videos on youtube ive seen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1640 on: July 06, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
The song seems to sound incredibly huge live. I can't wait to see it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1641 on: July 06, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
Can we please not use the terminology "massive grower" about songs anymore?  It it far too gay a phrase to allow me to read anything else that you've written.

On the song:  first listen, it was ok.  second, got better; third, got better; fourth, decreased a bit.  Will give it a fifth listen later tonight.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1642 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »
Can we please not use the terminology "massive grower" about songs anymore?  It it far too gay a phrase to allow me to read anything else that you've written.

On the song:  first listen, it was ok.  second, got better; third, got better; fourth, decreased a bit.  Will give it a fifth listen later tonight.

I want you to come to my place so I can introduce you to another massive grower.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1643 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »
I just am really liking the new song all of a sudden.  It's really become a massive grower.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1644 on: July 06, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »
I just am really liking the new song all of a sudden.  It's really become a massive grower.

The song has some real lastability.  I was showing it to my brother in the car, and he said "I think I like Mangini better than Portnoy."  It's truly a massive grower on everyone.
Over and over again