Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345163 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1540 on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
Indeed, I never said that DT never wrote soft songs. I was pointing that MOST of their music is not remotely relaxing, and so that seems like a bizarre complaint to make.
Well, that is true. Especially since if you DO want relaxing, The Answer Lies Within is right there, and I'm sure Dramatic Turn of Events will have at least one soft song on it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #1541 on: July 04, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
Relaxing is maybe the wrong word.  What I meant was less notes, less operatic, less lead wankery...just like KM did it years ago! :lol

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #1542 on: July 04, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
Rudess said there would definitely be some songs that were more mellow on the new album.

« Reply #1543 on: July 04, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
Relaxing is maybe the wrong word.  What I meant was less notes, less operatic, less lead wankery...just like KM did it years ago! :lol
Yeah, but I don't know if you can break something like that down in technical terms though. Kevin Moore had a very, very distinctive style. And JR has a very distinctive style, that's his own but very different.

I'm sure that if Moore stayed in the band, people would be saying, "That's so Kevin Moore by numbers! I wish the piano was more intense, more operatic."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1544 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
I haven't been this happy with new music from DT since Train of Thought came out. That was the first DT album release since me being a fan. When 8VM came out I was underwhelmed but that was purely because it was more of a grower. SC was pretty neat in the beginning, but the enjoyment rapidly lowered. BC&SL is IMO a really good record, but it was maybe a bit too comfortable sounding.

This song keeps giving stuff to me after 10 listens, it's great. The fast little breaks are classic, and sometimes I still get caught off guard by the tricks they're pulling. The 'real' chorus in the second half of the song is pretty good. Even better is the piano solo and the guitar solo. that was really the moment in the song where I felt they reward the listener, and justify the epic opening of the song.

The ending is just.. wow. The intro, JR's big choir theme when the song gets heavy. The heavy riff that follows it.. They're still playing complicated stuff, but it's very tastefully done in this track, even the heaviness is tasteful.

I can only imagine this song will be appreciated a lot by (old school) DT fans. What's not to love?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:17:26 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1545 on: July 04, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
^ That was a very tasteful post, and was quite nice to read. Well done.

Also, I agree with your points.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1546 on: July 04, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
Aramatheis  :tup.

Also, the annoyance of being addicted to a song that you can only listen to in Youtube quality. Can't wait for the real deal, but I also can't imagine DT agreeing on such low quality standards. Why would they want to present their art in such way?

Now playing the OIALT version of 'Lines in the Sand' for the first time. Didn't know it was that good. Definately adds a lot of cool things to the original and the solo exceeded all expectations.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:04:08 PM by PixelDream »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1547 on: July 04, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
Because of 631,391 views
and 13408 likes. It also has a 720p option so the quality isn't that bad, tbh, pretty well represented if you ask me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1548 on: July 04, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »
Because of 631,391 views
and 13408 likes. It also has a 720p option so the quality isn't that bad, tbh, pretty well represented if you ask me.

I must admit I'm a bit of an audiophile but the lack of clarity is obvious. Well, it leaves people wanting more, that's one thing.

« Reply #1549 on: July 04, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
Still, it's pretty much as good as ripping a CD at 192kbps. I get that you're an audiophile, but still, "Why would they want to present their art in such way?" I really don't think they see a problem with it. I certainly don't. Would you expect them to release a flac file?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1550 on: July 04, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
Well, some bands do that (The Gathering), but this is to promote the band and the album  and for that purpose this quality is good enough, imo.

« Reply #1551 on: July 04, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Besides, if you're so unsatisfied with the quality, then it'll be that much more incentive to buy the album. Even though I'm sure most DT fans already would, regardless. Point is, you'll have it.
And yeah, I think the ripped version sounds pretty great on my MP3 player, and in my car.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1552 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:20 PM »
Yeah, but DT are definitely more about the exciting aspect of music. They throw in some atmospheric stuff for sure, but it's not their main thing.

Well, I'd say their main thing is to be diverse and dynamic. I mean, half the reason I like them so much is that regardless of what I'm in the mood for, DT has something for me.
So even if I'm feeling like listening to something softer and more atmospheric, I can still resort to DT to enjoy something of the sort.
Indeed, I never said that DT never wrote soft songs. I was pointing that MOST of their music is not remotely relaxing, and so that seems like a bizarre complaint to make.

Relaxing is relative. I've definitely walked in on my old roommate passed out with the lights on blasting Opeth.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1553 on: July 04, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
Yeah, but DT are definitely more about the exciting aspect of music. They throw in some atmospheric stuff for sure, but it's not their main thing.

Well, I'd say their main thing is to be diverse and dynamic. I mean, half the reason I like them so much is that regardless of what I'm in the mood for, DT has something for me.
So even if I'm feeling like listening to something softer and more atmospheric, I can still resort to DT to enjoy something of the sort.

Relaxing is relative. I've definitely walked in on my old roommate passed out with the lights on blasting Opeth.

Ironically, what if he was blasting a song like To Bid You Farewell  :o

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1554 on: July 05, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »
My brother listens to Opeth most nights to help him relax and get to sleep, so I know what you mean orc. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:56 AM »
Only Dream Theater fans could carry on a 1,500+ post conversation about one song.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

« Reply #1556 on: July 05, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »
Only Dream Theater fans could carry on a 1,500+ post conversation about one song.
That's why we're awesome.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1557 on: July 05, 2011, 03:54:53 AM »
Why is their not a Back of Angels video...?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1558 on: July 05, 2011, 04:00:16 AM »
Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAdcBUpl7o

Or did you mean an official music video like CM or Forsaken?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1559 on: July 05, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »
Why is their not a Back of Angels video...?
When did you expect them to shoot it?  They released it on youtube within a day or two of the album's mixing and mastering being completed.  They have been rehearsing for the tour, and now the tour has started.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #1560 on: July 05, 2011, 05:09:39 AM »
I hope they will bring out a full-length video of one of the songs on the album for once
made by c00kiE [aiw]

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1561 on: July 05, 2011, 06:17:19 AM »
I hope they will bring out a full-length video of one of the songs on the album for once

that would be cool. considering they go on youtube anyway (or maybe an on-demand video service) so no need for 'mtv-length'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1562 on: July 05, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »

Yeah. I would say that if you want the keys to sound like Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree, then you should listen to those bands. Jordan Rudess is in Dream Theater.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1563 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:08 AM »
I'd be cool if they didn't shoot a video for this album.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1564 on: July 05, 2011, 07:01:09 AM »

This. I don't want a different image of this song in my head. I already have the image.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1565 on: July 05, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »
I can them playing in a plane dressed as clowns. That'd made a cool video.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1566 on: July 05, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »
I can them playing in a plane dressed as clowns. That'd made a cool video.

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: July 05, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Actually, it is.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #1569 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

This. I don't want a different image of this song in my head. I already have the image.
That's why this video should be classic Heavy Metal. Meaning, for the most part, it should just be on-stage footage of them, or footage of them performing in like a dark studio. Without any necessarily associated images.

The bigger problem I'd have with the video is that it's an 8 minute song, and no doubt they'd have to shorten it to like 4 and a half minutes tops, which would just ruin the song, with abbreviated intro and outro and other cut backs, maybe even a shortened solo. And judging from Constant Motion music video, the editing would be so sloppy that it would feel like the music is just cutting to different parts.

Offline JLa

« Reply #1570 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »
All in all a good song. Not great, but certainly not bad either. I don't think it's the best album opener (although I haven't heard the rest of the album, heh), but it has a nice feeling to it. I wish LaBrie would take more chances though. I'm sure he's got more than this in him. Great playing by Mangini, thumbs up! He fits like the famous glove. Petrucci solid as always, nice to hear Myung again, and creds to Rudess as well.

Way to go, DT! Looking forward to the new album!

« Reply #1571 on: July 05, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
I don't think it's the best album opener (although I haven't heard the rest of the album, heh), but it has a nice feeling to it.
Don't forget, Pull Me Under was an album opener too, to arguably DT's best album. And this is better than PMU, imo.

Offline JLa

« Reply #1572 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
I don't think it's the best album opener (although I haven't heard the rest of the album, heh), but it has a nice feeling to it.
Don't forget, Pull Me Under was an album opener too, to arguably DT's best album. And this is better than PMU, imo.

True, but I think that PMU is more energetic, and PMU's chorus is more "catchy". At least that's how I feel. :)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1573 on: July 05, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
I don't think it's better than Pull Me Under by any stretch, but it's a cool song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #1574 on: July 05, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
True, but I think that PMU is more energetic, and PMU's chorus is more "catchy". At least that's how I feel. :)

Well, I really doubt they're aiming to become a mainstream hit again. Still, Pull Me Under was kinda moody, and I think the two are very similar in tone.