Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344508 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1505 on: July 04, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »
There are like 3 people in this 43 page thread that didn't love it, who on earth are you guys yelling at?
I was just making a joke about this community.  I'm not yelling at anyone, I don't care if some people don't like it.  That doesn't faze me one bit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1506 on: July 04, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
Yeah, I figured what you said was a joke. Looking back, I guess less people than I remembered were commenting on jmbeat's post.

Offline Millais

« Reply #1507 on: July 04, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
According to JR, if one likes the piano, they'll like this album. I take that as a very good sign.

this sounds good, very good.
as long as it isn't filled with morphwiz/samplewiz i'll be happy. i don't actually have a problem with either of these apps - in fact, i think they're incredible applications when used in the right context but i just really don't think they'd gel that well on a DT album. we'll have to wait and see.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #1508 on: July 04, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
"Tears faaallll from the shameless..."  :tup :hefdaddy :tup :hefdaddy
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
edit: I just noticed - the beginning of JP's solo is so Helloween-ish  :metal :metal :metal :metal

THIS THIS THIS

WOODROW WOODROW WOODROW WILSON

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1509 on: July 04, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
Confused by alot of what has been said in in this thread (and I know not everyone will be happy with everything) but this one song has everything that all of us have been wanting i.e. more acoustic guitar, more piano, less wankery, better lyrics, BASS, and better song structure and arranging. They have succeeded on all parts. THIS is DT and we should all be happy.  I know I am.
My opinion is that this song is boring as hell. Ok, it has piano and acoustic guitar, but if the song is not interesting, it is worthless. I wanted to hear the bass, but because I wanted to hear something interesting. But there's nothing, not a single cool bass part. Put it on the front of the mix as much as you can but again, it's boring.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #1510 on: July 04, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
I like how some people have been complaining about Jordan's piano solo part, and seems to forget that he carries the music through the whole song when it comes to subtle prog parts, atmosphere and feeling, both in heavy and less heavy sections, in a way that Kevin Moore would probably never be able to achieve. Yes, Jordan tends to go over the top with grand piano soloing, but jeez, it's only a fairly small part of the song. You can't judge him on that alone.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1511 on: July 04, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
Agreed. And JR has been doing some great atmospheric stuff for a long time, but he never gets praised for that. Actually, his soft stuff in SC and BC&SL is excellent.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1512 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
I have always criticised JR's contributions to the DT sound, and many times i think he overplays.
His performance in OTBOA is flawless i believe, and i really like his piano solo, the way it builds up to the guitar solo is amazing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1513 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
I wasn't aware MP wrote a tweet response to the single?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1514 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
If he did I never seen it. Have you Guys got it somewhere?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1515 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »

He didn't. He retweeted Eddie Trunk's "good but not great" comment.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1516 on: July 04, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
Being Eddie Trunk a *the more MP moments = the better the song is* DT fan.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1517 on: July 04, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
Eddie Trunk has just about the worst music taste I've ever seen in a human.

But I agree with him.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1518 on: July 04, 2011, 11:45:31 AM »

But I agree with him.

I don't.  His whole thing was basically that it just sounded like DT.  To me the sound was fundamentally different in a few important ways.  While the song itself didn't blow my mind, the character of it clearly reflects the changes in the band.

I'm stealing this from RobWebster, but basically what it comes down to is that JLB, JP, and JR all sound more like they do on their solo albums.  While I think this makes the sound a little less focused, I also think it means each musician is expressing himself more genuinely and thus creating a better product.  The best example is with JLB's vocals.  I'm not super into the melodies JP wrote, but the delivery is perfect.  The intonation and timbre of every word is so well done, which is something I haven't felt about a DT JLB performance in some time.  Also, there's a real sense of writing for the song that's been rare in modern DT.

Is it as good as Wither?  No.  But is it better than AROP?  Oh god yes.  Better than Constant Motion?  Not even worth debating.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline taboune

• "We are Dream Theater, We Cant Stop." JLB
  • What U Doin' Tonight?
« Reply #1519 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
First Post

I loved On the backs of angels, im pumped for this album!

:metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1520 on: July 04, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »

But I agree with him.

I don't.  His whole thing was basically that it just sounded like DT.  To me the sound was fundamentally different in a few important ways.  While the song itself didn't blow my mind, the character of it clearly reflects the changes in the band.

I'm stealing this from RobWebster, but basically what it comes down to is that JLB, JP, and JR all sound more like they do on their solo albums.  While I think this makes the sound a little less focused, I also think it means each musician is expressing himself more genuinely and thus creating a better product.  The best example is with JLB's vocals.  I'm not super into the melodies JP wrote, but the delivery is perfect.  The intonation and timbre of every word is so well done, which is something I haven't felt about a DT JLB performance in some time.  Also, there's a real sense of writing for the song that's been rare in modern DT.

Is it as good as Wither?  No.  But is it better than AROP?  Oh god yes.  Better than Constant Motion?  Not even worth debating.

I was more just going with Orcus's thing that it's good not great.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1521 on: July 04, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
I don't know. Wither is aging incredibly terribly for me.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1522 on: July 04, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
Wither is different, Wither is a typical song, with no instrumental crazy and that stuff. OTBOA we have some melody, we have some power, he have some instrumental crazyness, it's very well mixed. I think that we shouldn't compare this two.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #1523 on: July 04, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
I like how some people have been complaining about Jordan's piano solo part, and seems to forget that he carries the music through the whole song when it comes to subtle prog parts, atmosphere and feeling, both in heavy and less heavy sections, in a way that Kevin Moore would probably never be able to achieve. Yes, Jordan tends to go over the top with grand piano soloing, but jeez, it's only a fairly small part of the song. You can't judge him on that alone.

I think people have the right to judge his playing however they like.  The piano solo is cringe worthy to me and though I like the song a lot overall I hate that there is part in it that makes me cringe and for that I solely blame JR.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1524 on: July 04, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »
It might be nothing special but cringeworthy? That adjective should only be used to describe his in song tech demo type solos.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1525 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1526 on: July 04, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »
Another complaint I hear people say about On The Backs of Angels is that the vocals aren't very dynamic. But don't worry guys, once James LaBrie grows his hair out to its previous length again, he'll have his full vocal range back.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1527 on: July 04, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
Another complaint I hear people say about On The Backs of Angels is that the vocals aren't very dynamic. But don't worry guys, once James LaBrie grows his hair out to its previous length again, he'll have his full vocal range back.
Hey there are 8 songs left on the album that we haven't heard, I bet that we will gonna find somewhere there very dynamic vocals ;)

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #1528 on: July 04, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
It might be nothing special but cringeworthy? That adjective should only be used to describe his in song tech demo type solos.

Maybe cringe is a bit dramatic, but I will confess that I have never really taken to Jordan's lead playing so much and the piano solo just seems out of place with the amount of notes he plays.  I tend to like my keys to be a bit more relaxing ala Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #1529 on: July 04, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »

But I agree with him.

I don't.  His whole thing was basically that it just sounded like DT.  To me the sound was fundamentally different in a few important ways.  While the song itself didn't blow my mind, the character of it clearly reflects the changes in the band.

To be honest, Wither doesn't do absolutely anything for me. It's a nice breather if you're listening to BC&SL from the start, but aside from that its just a song made for commercial use. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it, but I certainly don't think DT put their heart and soul into it. That's just my opinion though  :laugh:.

Aside from that, I agree with you with everything. I'm not exited about ITBOA because its epic and awesome, I'm exited about it because its truer to DT than the other recent singles they have released. I'm never fond of DT's singles.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1530 on: July 04, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

Maybe cringe is a bit dramatic, but I will confess that I have never really taken to Jordan's lead playing so much and the piano solo just seems out of place with the amount of notes he plays.  I tend to like my keys to be a bit more relaxing ala Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree.

Agreed, though I'm at the point with Jordan where I know his style isn't going to change so I might as well start finding the positive parts of his playing.

« Reply #1531 on: July 04, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
Hey there are 8 songs left on the album that we haven't heard, I bet that we will gonna find somewhere there very dynamic vocals ;)
It was more a joke at the fact that he cut his hair. Like when JP cut his hair back in the early 2000s, and he said, "I cut my hair, now I can only write three minute pop songs. I can't play long epics anymore." Paraphrasing. But it's a joke.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1532 on: July 04, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »

If you want relaxing music, why would you listen to DT? ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

« Reply #1533 on: July 04, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
To Live Forever, Surrounded, Anna Lee, Through Her Eyes, The Answer Lies Within, to name a few. Nothing wrong with relaxing to some melancholy ballads from DT.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1534 on: July 04, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
To Live Forever, Surrounded, Anna Lee, Through Her Eyes, The Answer Lies Within, to name a few. Nothing wrong with relaxing to some melancholy ballads from DT.

Yeah, but DT are definitely more about the exciting aspect of music. They throw in some atmospheric stuff for sure, but it's not their main thing.

« Reply #1535 on: July 04, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »
Yeah, but DT are definitely more about the exciting aspect of music. They throw in some atmospheric stuff for sure, but it's not their main thing.

Well, I'd say their main thing is to be diverse and dynamic. I mean, half the reason I like them so much is that regardless of what I'm in the mood for, DT has something for me.
So even if I'm feeling like listening to something softer and more atmospheric, I can still resort to DT to enjoy something of the sort.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1536 on: July 04, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »
Wow, this song sure is a grower, i didn't like it at first, but now it's amazing.  The whole band sounds really tight right now.  Noone is just playing for themselves, they are all playing for the music.  Only complaint is that James isn't really doing anything that good really, he is just there.  I really love the new direction they appear to be taking.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1537 on: July 04, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
To Live Forever

I must be odd, because I get fuckin pumped when I hear To Live Forever  :metal :metal :metal

« Reply #1538 on: July 04, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
I must be odd, because I get fuckin pumped when I hear To Live Forever  :metal :metal :metal
Well, yeah, I guess it does build toward the end, same with Surrounded. But still, the point is that DT has a lot of variety, and a lot of its songs are soft and melancholy. And quite relaxing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1539 on: July 04, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »

Well, I'd say their main thing is to be diverse and dynamic. I mean, half the reason I like them so much is that regardless of what I'm in the mood for, DT has something for me.
So even if I'm feeling like listening to something softer and more atmospheric, I can still resort to DT to enjoy something of the sort.
Indeed, I never said that DT never wrote soft songs. I was pointing that MOST of their music is not remotely relaxing, and so that seems like a bizarre complaint to make.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.