Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344534 times)

Offline j

Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1470 on: July 03, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
Confused by alot of what has been said in in this thread (and I know not everyone will be happy with everything) but this one song has everything that all of us have been wanting i.e. more acoustic guitar, more piano, less wankery, better lyrics, BASS, and better song structure and arranging. They have succeeded on all parts. THIS is DT and we should all be happy.  I know I am.

This is a great observation.  Not that I have no criticisms of the song, but DT really did--at least in a broad, general sense--everything we have been wishing they would for some time now.

-J

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #1471 on: July 03, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »
Oh and how this thread once again came back to KM, ?? I for one am the biggest KM fan but OMG can we all just give it a rest and move on and just appreciate his contributions and leave it at that.  There still is OSI.
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline unklejman

« Reply #1472 on: July 03, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
Confused by alot of what has been said in in this thread (and I know not everyone will be happy with everything) but this one song has everything that all of us have been wanting i.e. more acoustic guitar, more piano, less wankery, better lyrics, BASS, and better song structure and arranging. They have succeeded on all parts. THIS is DT and we should all be happy.  I know I am.

And not to mention... this is the "single". I mean A Rite of Passage and Constant Motion don't even begin to touch this song. I hope the rest of the album is as good or better, and I have a feeling it is from what I've heard from JR. I have been one of the most critical people when in comes to DT's latest output, but this song is just right on the money for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1473 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »
I remember something Portnoy said during the Budokan documentary... like that it bothered him when a band got known for a certain style and then did something completely different later in their career. That goes completly against artistic creation IMO. So bands like Opeth, Ulver, Radiohead are in the wrong? Anyway, I don't think it's just Portnoy, it's the vision of the entire band. "Let's do like classic DT!", "The fans won't like that so we shouldn't do that.." etc. I just don't get it... They have the potential to do much more than that...

Agreed.  Two other examples are Portnoy once saying that DT could never do a song like (LTE's) Liquid Dreams, and Petrucci saying that he didn't think the fans would accept growling on A Nightmare to Remember (which was scrapped anyway, thank goodness).  It is a bummer, as a band that calls itself progressive should be able to go wherever they want, but, hey, it is their band, so they can do what they want. ;)

Jordans keys on OTBOA are great all the way through, yes there are plenty of notes - which you will always get with him - but imho they are not over the top as maybe they have been in places before. Love KM's contribution to DT too but he left 17 years ago now.

Agreed about Kevin Moore.  He was my favorite DT keyboardist, but, like you said, he has been gone for 17 years.  If you are still listening to DT, you know what is coming more often than not from Rudess, so you either have to accept it or move on.  Certain aspects of his playing definitely aren't to my liking, but he still does a lot of great stuff, and the band itself is still more than good enough.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1474 on: July 03, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »

And not to mention... this is the "single". I mean A Rite of Passage and Constant Motion don't even begin to touch this song. I hope the rest of the album is as good or better, and I have a feeling it is from what I've heard from JR. I have been one of the most critical people when in comes to DT's latest output, but this song is just right on the money for me.
I would say that Constant Motion and A Rite Of Passage were a kind of different songs than On The Backs Of Angels, they were easier, more catchy. On The Backs Of Angels isn't, and I think that all album won't be catchy, will be proggy as hell.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1475 on: July 03, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
I would say that Constant Motion and A Rite Of Passage were a kind of different songs than On The Backs Of Angels, they were easier, more catchy. On The Backs Of Angels isn't, and I think that all album won't be catchy, will be proggy as hell.
Which would be a very, very good thing.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TL

« Reply #1476 on: July 03, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »
According to JR, if one likes the piano, they'll like this album. I take that as a very good sign.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1477 on: July 03, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
Which would be a very, very good thing.
This  :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1478 on: July 03, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »
According to JR, if one likes the piano, they'll like this album. I take that as a very good sign.
That sounds awesome. :)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1479 on: July 03, 2011, 11:22:24 PM »

Amen. And at what point does "jordan by numbers" become something original and great. His synth parts don't always gel with me but his piano parts usually do. His style is just the nature of his playing so even if his piano compositions get a bit flashy the fact that they're on the piano instead of a keyboard makes it more enjoyable to me.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1480 on: July 03, 2011, 11:25:58 PM »
I love JR parts in On The Backs Of Angels, I can understand why many people dislikes it... but his play is flawless right here :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1481 on: July 03, 2011, 11:58:18 PM »
His choir patch on the intro and chorus is so well done IMO. Really gives the song an atmosphere.

« Reply #1482 on: July 04, 2011, 12:00:25 AM »
His choir patch on the intro and chorus is so well done IMO. Really gives the song an atmosphere.
Yeah, I agree. I'm not usually a fan of 'fake' choir, played with keyboards... But I guess if anyone can make it sound even remotely organic and truly epic, it's JR. I loved it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1483 on: July 04, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »
It sounds good, and yeah, I feel like JR is finally being used to all his strengths and creativity.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1484 on: July 04, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »
I don't mind the piano solo that much, to be honest. Sure, there are some hints of JR's tendency to overdo piano parts, but it could have been worse. Generally, he creates a very fine atmosphere for the song, and I take it as a good thing.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1485 on: July 04, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »
i think every member is great on the track, including jordan.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1486 on: July 04, 2011, 02:22:51 AM »
Wow! RR changed the the clip to the cd mix. All of a sudden it sounds great.  :biggrin:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

« Reply #1487 on: July 04, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
Wow! RR changed the the clip to the cd mix. All of a sudden it sounds great.  :biggrin:
Wait, what do you mean?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1488 on: July 04, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
Wait, what do you mean?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1489 on: July 04, 2011, 02:28:34 AM »

ah, yea. Sounds much better!  :metal

« Reply #1490 on: July 04, 2011, 02:31:35 AM »
Since when? I re-ripped it... Yesterday I believe, and it sounds the same. They didn't change it since yesterday for sure. Same link?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1491 on: July 04, 2011, 02:32:38 AM »
I hope I'm not experiencing the "placebo" effect. I'm listening to it on headphones, and I feel like I hear the drums much clearer now; but...

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1492 on: July 04, 2011, 02:40:16 AM »
I will check in a minute  ;D

« Reply #1493 on: July 04, 2011, 02:45:30 AM »
I hope I'm not experiencing the "placebo" effect. I'm listening to it on headphones, and I feel like I hear the drums much clearer now; but...
It might be. Like I said, I'm comparing the MP3s right now, and they're identical, one I ripped from Youtube half an hour after the song came out, and another one I ripped from Youtube ten minutes ago. I listened to them side by side... I even compared the wave forms. It's the same. But I've experienced the Placebo effect as well, except now the 'old' same version sounds better too, hahah.

I guess it's just growing on people that significantly.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1494 on: July 04, 2011, 02:47:08 AM »
"Tears faaallll from the shameless..."  :tup :hefdaddy :tup :hefdaddy
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
edit: I just noticed - the beginning of JP's solo is so Helloween-ish  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline elmatto

« Reply #1495 on: July 04, 2011, 02:57:05 AM »
OH DEAR GOD

I dunno what everyone else thinks. I have yet to read the thread....but this is a welcome change of form.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:13:46 AM by elmatto »
plz read my webcomic<br /><br />https://www.drunkduck.com/Bally_Who/index.php

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1496 on: July 04, 2011, 02:59:49 AM »
It might be. Like I said, I'm comparing the MP3s right now, and they're identical, one I ripped from Youtube half an hour after the song came out, and another one I ripped from Youtube ten minutes ago. I listened to them side by side... I even compared the wave forms. It's the same. But I've experienced the Placebo effect as well, except now the 'old' same version sounds better too, hahah.

I guess it's just growing on people that significantly.

I think they've uploaded a HD version. I can definitely hear a difference from the mp3 i ripped off youtube two days ago, and the HD-version im listening to now.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: July 04, 2011, 03:01:22 AM »
Yeah I hear some difference too. Great! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

« Reply #1498 on: July 04, 2011, 03:04:06 AM »
I think they've uploaded a HD version. I can definitely hear a difference from the mp3 i ripped off youtube two days ago, and the HD-version im listening to now.

But the HD version was available right away, all you had to do was click the tab and switch it to 720p. What bit rate did you rip it at?

Offline LTE777

« Reply #1499 on: July 04, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
I started off listening to OTBOA and was really dissapointed in the song and didnt like it at all.  Wasn't memorable, didnt stand out, the riffs etc seemed a little like their newer stuff and didnt seem worked through enough.

After the first day or so, i had the same feeling and rated this song about a 6 or 7 and though it seemed like a good opener to what would be a decent album on par with BC&SL.

Wow, what a difference 30 odd listens to makes on great speakers and and a few extra days to let it age.  This is a brilliant song... the vibe, the subtle drum parts, the seamless writing which seems to flow and fit perfectly, the fact that after each riff i was waiting for them to throw in something that doesnt fit only to play something even better.  It gave me feeling of Awake meets Ovtavarium, Pull me under meets 6DOIT.

I agree with another poster that this song certainly seems like what they should have released from SFAM/6Degrees or even Falling Into Infinity.  Not that Id ever give back TOT->BC&SL anyday!

I dont see this as a stand a alone song, but a great song that definitly sets the mood for an album that i think will be regarded as the next I&W and SFAM.

Great work from the guys and am glad the 'balls to the wall mentalitly' has gone which i think wrecked parts of a number of newer fantastic songs.

Tonight i sit here and think, how come i like this song so much? Its because i can no longer say 'its not as good as I&W ->A Change of seasons, it has too many riffs that dont gel, there is rapping, there are growls, there is a solo section that is too long and has too many notes' and the list goes on...

If the rest of the album is as good as this, then i'd like to welcome my favourite band back to the top of the pile! Not that they honestly left :)

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1500 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:57 AM »

But the HD version was available right away, all you had to do was click the tab and switch it to 720p. What bit rate did you rip it at?

420p. As someone else mentioned a gazillion pages back, it seemed like the 420p and 720p didn't make any difference to the sound the first day, since it Roadrunner uploaded a low-quality version of the song itself. That may have been fixed before, but the HD-version i listened to a while ago was miles better than the 720p version i have on my computer.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1501 on: July 04, 2011, 04:10:51 AM »
Yeah HD was available this whole time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1502 on: July 04, 2011, 04:53:31 AM »
THAT'S WHY WE HATE IT.

I don't hate it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1503 on: July 04, 2011, 06:59:04 AM »
Yeah, giving us just about everything we wished for. Who the fuck do they think they are? >:(

Offline ehra

« Reply #1504 on: July 04, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »
There are like 3 people in this 43 page thread that didn't love it, who on earth are you guys yelling at?