Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345187 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #1120 on: June 30, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
What is everybody's opinion about the overall "mood" of the song?

To me, it's very difficult to define, and probably more complex in that aspect than other DT songs. As it happens with PT por example, it's difficult to just qualify the song as "heavy", "happy", "sad", triumphant, etc. I'd say "hopeful" or something like that, but there are lots of diverging elements in the song. The tone set by the introduction is completely different from that of the outro, and the piano and guitar solos are kinda enigmatic and do not try to convey emotion just for the sake of it, for example. The guitar is heavy but not overly agressive, like they were at the brink of exploding but decided to restrain themselves. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into the song.

I forget if this is literally a line in the song or not, but the emotional idea is racing toward death.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1121 on: June 30, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Here's the irony of the title (considering that as a title it had me so excited) - it sucks.  By itself it sounds great.  As a lyric in the song it's okay.  As a title for this song it represents the wrong tone.  It's not really epic, there's no supernatural ideas, and it's not really mystical.  If you want to take a line from the song as a title, "Bleeding us to Death" would have been much more appropriate.  And I like the darkness of it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1122 on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »
That would help but they know the market. People use youtube, and are interested in DT where else are you gonna find new DT than Youtube. Look at how much views its gotten, that alone should show its a successful move, and a great one.

Bosk1 was just being sarcastic. Trust me.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline lodeus

« Reply #1123 on: June 30, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
I still think there is an edit at 5:23.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1124 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
But that is progressive music.  It usually doesn't hook you on first listen, because the elements aren't simplified enough to stick in your memory.

This hasn't been my experience at all, I've never had trouble finding "hooks" in prog in the first listen. All it takes for something to stick in my head is for it to be interesting enough to leave an impression, complexity rarely has anything to do with it and it's absolutely not the case with this song.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1125 on: June 30, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »
So I'm thinking they will be playing this song on the Euro tour.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1126 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »
I've always really liked SC.
Me too! ItPotE p.2 is just musically amazing!
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
So I'm thinking they will be playing this song on the Euro tour.

Considering they've said they'll be playing one new song, I'm pretty sure we all assumed that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1128 on: June 30, 2011, 09:41:53 PM »
The whole intro, especially the opening clean guitar, is stuck in my head. Not catchy my ass.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1129 on: June 30, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
The whole intro . . . my ass.

:omg:  Accidentally?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1130 on: June 30, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
The whole thing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1131 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
Yeah, the lyrics to Wither apply well right now.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1132 on: June 30, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
What on earth did that elephant do to you.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1133 on: June 30, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
Nothing really, he's just a blowhard :eyebrows:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1134 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1135 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
So, do You Guys think that this will be opener on tour? I think not, They should start with something old and classic for me ;)

Offline DeepBlueMajesty

« Reply #1136 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
So, do You Guys think that this will be opener on tour? I think not, They should start with something old and classic for me ;)
I disagree. I like it when tour openers are the first song of the promoted album, and is by far more common. It gives a fresh, newer start, in my opinion. After that... throw in the classics  :laugh:
Have you ever read the Daily Standard?
Reading all about a plane that landed upside down?

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #1137 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »

i do understand where you are coming from
it is a bit abrupt and could have had a better transition if this is indeed the final way, but if it is in fact an edit then well more song to enjoy :)

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1138 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »

i do understand where you are coming from
it is a bit abrupt and could have had a better transition if this is indeed the final way, but if it is in fact an edit then well more song to enjoy :)

If you listen to 3:53 it sounds a lot more cleaner. I am thinking this is an edit too. But it would be a weird spot for one. Why would they have an instrumental section there just to have the chorus then another instrumental section then the chorus again. So I doubt it would be an instrumental section and that pre-chorus guitar part would be an awkward transition into another verse considering it was the transition into the chorus before.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1139 on: July 01, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »
Here's the irony of the title (considering that as a title it had me so excited) - it sucks.  By itself it sounds great.  As a lyric in the song it's okay.  As a title for this song it represents the wrong tone.  It's not really epic, there's no supernatural ideas, and it's not really mystical.  If you want to take a line from the song as a title, "Bleeding us to Death" would have been much more appropriate.  And I like the darkness of it.
My initial interpretation is that standing on the backs of angels refers to the powerful crushing the powerless as if they were rungs on a ladder, while the greedy climb their way to the top.  The real heroes -- the innocent, the angels -- "carry the weight" of their oppressors.  And the ultimate cost of this "burden" is to be led "like a lamb to the slaughter," an allusion to Christ, the narrator dying not for his own sins but for the sins of others put upon him.  I think the title is perfect. 

Offline ironsam

« Reply #1140 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41:46 AM »
This song is like TCOT. Awesome intro, awesome outro but the rest of the song is meh.
I think all of TCOT is a better song in almost every regard except for the lyrics.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1141 on: July 01, 2011, 01:17:27 AM »
With a new drummer on board, I think the guys will want to open with a song that 4 members are more comfortable with before taking a stab at a song none of them have ever played before.  However, it will soon make its way to the front of the set.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #1142 on: July 01, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »
This song is like TCOT. Awesome intro, awesome outro but the rest of the song is meh.
I think all of TCOT is a better song in almost every regard except for the lyrics.

if you dont like TCOTs lyrics I dont think you understood the song.
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1143 on: July 01, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »
With a new drummer on board, I think the guys will want to open with a song that 4 members are more comfortable with before taking a stab at a song none of them have ever played before. 

I'm sure they'd rehearse

Kosmo

« Reply #1144 on: July 01, 2011, 02:58:11 AM »

Really? The story is pretty obvious, the lyrics are just pretty bad.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #1145 on: July 01, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »

I think they're just terrible, actually.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #1146 on: July 01, 2011, 03:23:27 AM »
Ok so, the moment you have been waiting for....my review/thoughts on this song. :hefdaddy :corn

I have gave it a couple of spins now, but didn't yet listen to it on headphones.

the first spin...it didn't do anything to me...i was like hmm.. ok again another TGP kind of riff/nu metal riff (despite the odd signature of it).
the vocals i found very lame, not the lyrics, but the vocals didn't seem to bring something extra, like there was no expression to ti at all.
the drums i found so so... the only thing which standed out for me was..JR. not using the patces he did on the last albums, but just normal,naturally sounding pathes, and the return of the piano (SFAM) feel. so than i gave it like 5/10 but any other DT would do better for me

now after 5/6 spins this monster has grown on me...i love it.
the only part which seems strange is going from the second instrumental section and than that very small break down back to the chrous...that some how seems cut/paste.... but the other stuff is amazing
JR- great sounds well played, not being a a notewanker for 8 minutes, but just suits the song, i love the tune of the prechorus that does sound oldskool DT to me.

drums are awsoe as s well, still dodint'hear all he did, but i love it when the end of JPS solo he just plays doulbe bass notes very freaking fast :-) great unison part.

JP wel great riff man, that's some odd time signature there, great tone ghreat solo...awesome

vocals..i think the weakst of the song, they are ok, but they still dont stand out to me... but they are not bad in any way at all!!

finally a bass sound and even a small BASS filll ..yeah!!!

i thikn the album will only get better and bete...and if the album contqains 9 liek these songs, than im'happy cause everytime i play the song i hear something new/different.....and it makes you come back..and that's what you need from a DT song/album....to go back and discover what they wrote....i really hope for a making of dvd on this one...cause only after this first song...damn... there are SO MANY tempo  changes it's ridicilous(ly great!)....
laos i like it when in the end they play i think the pre chorous and than play it in normal 4/44  DT doesn't do that much ...but it's a little headbaning moment there....everything falls in place there.... you know which part i mean right?

if not listen to it ..AGAIN!

H
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1147 on: July 01, 2011, 03:39:43 AM »
I'm almost sure that 8:46 is a edit version of OTBOA, last chorus comes to roughly, instrumental part is just too short, just MUST be longer, if I noticed that, DT for sure did that too and They don't let us to listen to full version of the song until the album comes out.

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #1148 on: July 01, 2011, 04:33:59 AM »
8:46 is the perfect length for this song, it flowed perfectly too, kinda reminding me of As I Am. I hope it isn't longer, thats one thing I dislike about DT, songs being dragged out by overly-lengthy instrumentals.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1149 on: July 01, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »

Well, in fact, it's the other way round for me : I  like it because I see it as a red herring.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1150 on: July 01, 2011, 04:54:35 AM »

Yes we do, and yes the lyrics are not good.  But it's still a cool song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Slain

« Reply #1151 on: July 01, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »
Love the song to death, I've listened to it way too many times already.

Glad there's no "DAY AFTER DAY, AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, STANDING ON BACKS OF ANGELS WAITING FOR THEIR FLIGHT"
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: July 01, 2011, 05:29:05 AM »
If you don't like On The Backs Of Angels we are not a match.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1153 on: July 01, 2011, 05:49:26 AM »
Love the song to death, I've listened to it way too many times already.

Glad there's no "DAY AFTER DAY, AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, STANDING ON BACKS OF ANGELS WAITING FOR THEIR FLIGHT"
FOCUS HERE FOCUS THERE
CANNOT SEE THE LIGHT
(falling down through the night)
WHO DELAYED MY GODDAMN FLIGHT?!

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #1154 on: July 01, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »
:lol
made by c00kiE [aiw]