Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345220 times)

Offline dongringo

Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #770 on: June 29, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »

People saying that the mix is off because of youtube... I don't think your right about that. Yes, there is some compression involved, but never in my time as handling new media professionally, has compression actually changed the relative volume to instruments in music. I've uploaded my own work to youtube, and the audio is never changed all that much. Maybe when the compression is really heavy, the cymbals might get a little gurgley, and the snare a little fluffy, but never changed the volume level in relation to everything else.

I ran it through my stand alone CD recorder, and it sounded great in my car. I put it on my iPod and it sounds fine.

You need a revealing system to detect a bad sound mix. I'm listening through a V-Dac / Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ HD headphone amp / Grado RS1 or Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones. If this is the cd quality then it's bad and I'm in trouble on my system. It has to be the youtube clip quality. Just has to. Better be. Yeah.

Edit: It would make sense that Roadrunner would release a lesser quality clip, so that piraters can't steal the youtube clip and create single cds of good quality and sell them, something common in poorer countries and big cities worldwide.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #771 on: June 29, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
Youtube quality doesn't simply compress it, it takes out a HUGE amount of the bass mix, which will make certain things seem lower in the mix.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #772 on: June 29, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
I think the drums should be louder, but i think i should wait for a proper release to judge.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #773 on: June 29, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Love how so many people are like "this sounds like Awake" "this sounds like SFAM" "this sounds like Images and Words" "this sounds too bright"  :lol

:metal great song

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #774 on: June 29, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
I think the drums should be louder, but i think i should wait for a proper release to judge.

Exactly. I remember hearing Praise the Lowered by Devin on youtube before it came out and thinking "wow this mix is awful, there's no drums at all pretty much". Then I got the cd and was like "Damn this is a great mix".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: June 29, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
After one listen, I like it, a lot, and it will grow more I'm sure.  I think the chorus is fantastic, lots of melody.  The whole thing reminds me strongly of Octavarium in sound and feel, which is a good thing.  Also, no extended wanking sessions which makes the song sound more focused and fresh.

Also, you can hear all five guys equally in the mix, they sound like they are playing like a band.  I will say the entire thing sounds a little subdued, but I don't think anyone has a reason to be disappointed with this.  Also, the intro has that PMU feel, good stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #776 on: June 29, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Come back to it after a few hours and I've found I can't remember a single vocal hook from the song. Not one. Damn shame as the song stands up so well instrumentally. Say what you like about CM and AROP their choruses stay in your head. Nothing from this apart from maybe the first line is memorable. Loads of memorable instrumentation though.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #777 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Come back to it after a few hours and I've found I can't remember a single vocal hook from the song. Not one. Damn shame as the song stands up so well instrumentally. Say what you like about CM and AROP their choruses stay in your head. Nothing from this apart from maybe the first line is memorable. Loads of memorable instrumentation though.
Constant Motion memorable? Not in my lifetime. IMO it's DT's weakest song to ever make an album, it has no memorable parts (vocal melody especially so). AROP is quite catchy though. OTBOA is more proggy than catchy, but it sounded pretty good to me.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #778 on: June 29, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
I don't think the vocal melodies are that bad. The song mainly lets the music and vibe do the talking; that's cool. I'm not into DT for catchy vocals, though they had some very good ones on mainly FII and 8VM. These Walls in particular is a very good, tight chorus, with a 'tail end' that leads the listener to the next verse (I'm trying to find my way out, tear down..).

I do like it if DT write 'shout along' choruses, but only if it's a good one. I couldn't stand CM's and AROP's really.

One thing though, on this new track they're really sounding like a band. Now on 5th listen and I'm getting more and more enthoused about the new record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #779 on: June 29, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
Just listened to the tune with a good pair of headphones.

Even though it's a youtube mix, the drums sound fine to me. Some of these "technical" arguments just seem to be for the sake of having something to complain about.  :lol

THIS.  Although I do feel the CD mix will be more vibrant

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #780 on: June 29, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
I agree that they sound truly like a band. Everything sounds fresh and rejuvenated, definitely.

And I can remember the vocal melodies very well. I like them. They're not overdone nor subdued too much. I'm sure there will be some shining vocal moments on the album, though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #781 on: June 29, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
Love the song, and for those saying it could be shorter, I think this is the short version.  I could imagine that the DT of the past few albums would have added a several minute instrumental section as opposed to a succinct section for JP and JR. 

Also, does anyone else see the similarity between the intros of this song and "The Lady Wore Black" by Queensryche?

I thought the same thing about the intro, I immediately thought Queensryche this is gonna be cool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline adameastment

« Reply #782 on: June 29, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
I love it.

It's not a departure like people said it would be, LaBrie's vocals are shweeeeeeeet. I love it all!

:heart

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #783 on: June 29, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
Hearsay here.  This is from progressive ears. User name progmeister.

I like this track very much and agree with posters who talk about the mix being better. You do know Myung is in the building now. This is the first time they've worked with mixer extraordinaire Andy Wallace. Andy is most famous for mixing Nirvana's "Teen Spirit". The other night at the Adrenaline Mob show I spoke with one of the senior executives at Roadrunner, DT's record company who told me the first cut they were putting up was most like the DT we've all know to come AND LOVE but that the album was gonna surprise us in alot of places. When I pressed him harder for some adjectives he said the album was very "technical"

I wonder what this means.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #784 on: June 29, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »
Hearsay here.  This is from progressive ears. User name progmeister.

I like this track very much and agree with posters who talk about the mix being better. You do know Myung is in the building now. This is the first time they've worked with mixer extraordinaire Andy Wallace. Andy is most famous for mixing Nirvana's "Teen Spirit". The other night at the Adrenaline Mob show I spoke with one of the senior executives at Roadrunner, DT's record company who told me the first cut they were putting up was most like the DT we've all know to come AND LOVE but that the album was gonna surprise us in alot of places. When I pressed him harder for some adjectives he said the album was very "technical"

I wonder what this means.

It means, behold the power of Mangini

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #785 on: June 29, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
Not to be picky, but I would be so happy if they simply offered a full FLAC version.

The song is awesome. I can't wait to hear my friends' reactions.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: June 29, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Holy SHIT!! That song IS AWESOME!!!!  This is exactly what I was hoping for!  Rudess was used to full potential, some nice myung moments.  Great arrangement, nothing felt superflous.  Sounded FII ish.  Loved it!  Can't wait for the new album.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #787 on: June 29, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
Total love for this song, Portnoy who? Looks like he was the cancer in the band forcing them to be a metal band the last couple. Not saying those albums are bad but they will be more Dream Theaterish again and that is fantastic!  :tup
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Pling

• Pling
« Reply #788 on: June 29, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
i don't like the song, and that has also something to do with the production/mix. LaBrie's vocals have so many layers that alot of it just gets buried in this wall of vocals, drums are too low in the mix, alot of stitching parts together that would make sense compositionwise, but not with the actual music being played. I mean, none of the solo's are refined to what a solo should be for, building up to something but not giving it a climax or anything memorable beforehand...
i do like the difference from the last (past ToT) albums, but still this is a very lazy effort and i'm hoping the rest of the album holds some gems to keep me on the DT board, i hoped MP leaving would help DT make actual music, but this is still very mediocre. Yeah it's all technical very difficult to play and stuff, but musically there's not much to be found.

Maybe the next album with MM's input will correct this "error" ......??
Pling

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #789 on: June 29, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »
Giving it a second listen, and they are right, falling in love IS better the second time around.  When I checked DTF this morning on my crap phone, and saw the news, I had to wait four hours before giving it a listen, the first on a friends I-phone.  Now that I have a puter and a proper pair of headphones,  all I can say is HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT!!!!

Thank you DT, thank you.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: June 29, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
This song is like TCOT. Awesome intro, awesome outro but the rest of the song is meh.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #791 on: June 29, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
Portnoy who? Looks like he was the cancer in the band forcing them to be a metal band the last couple.

That will be quite enough of that.  The next time you insult a current or former band member will be your last time posting on this forum.  This is your warning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #792 on: June 29, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
Wow, 100,000 visits in youtube so far. That's quite a number.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #793 on: June 29, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »
i don't like the song, and that has also something to do with the production/mix. LaBrie's vocals have so many layers that alot of it just gets buried in this wall of vocals, drums are too low in the mix, alot of stitching parts together that would make sense compositionwise, but not with the actual music being played. I mean, none of the solo's are refined to what a solo should be for, building up to something but not giving it a climax or anything memorable beforehand...
i do like the difference from the last (past ToT) albums, but still this is a very lazy effort and i'm hoping the rest of the album holds some gems to keep me on the DT board, i hoped MP leaving would help DT make actual music, but this is still very mediocre. Yeah it's all technical very difficult to play and stuff, but musically there's not much to be found.

i will simply say that I completely disagree with your opinion lol!

absolute magic song.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #794 on: June 29, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
Just a quick observation - lots of people were suggesting that maybe the single might open with a drum solo, or some kind of platform for Mangini to really show his chops?

First taste of the new Mike turned out to be... his mad tambourine skills.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #795 on: June 29, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »

I disagree. I think there are many memorable moments in this track

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #796 on: June 29, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
I just have to add that I love the closing, really adds a majestic touch for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: June 29, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
I love how people can complain about the sound on the single.  It's Youtube folks!!  As many other have said.  Compressed and why would Roadrunner release a crystal clear, digital released song when there is money to be had.  settle down and wait to the album comes out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: June 29, 2011, 04:53:59 PM »
On a funny note.  I've left the Youtube page open since I got home at 1pm. :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
I've seen a lot of people mentioning that the drums are low in the mix.  Does anyone else think maybe that was an intentional thing?  

Everyone was expecting some hugely crazy drum work from MM to show off how good he is.  I was expecting it, too.  But I, for one, am pleasantly surprised - rather than this song just being about introducing Mangini, it's actually about the whole band.  
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #800 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
I really like the part at 2:09 where Mike plays on the hihat in accordance to what JR plays, and on the bass drums following JP.
That was a "holy shit" moment for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #801 on: June 29, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
After one listen, I really dig it. Some of the vocal melodies didn't hugely grab me, but it's only been one listen, takes time to settle in. But the intro is amazing and the outro is absolutely fantastic!

And yeah, it amuses me that people are complaining about the sound. I'm looking forward to a proper high quality version, maybe in the form of a single release through iTunes/amazon/whatever.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #802 on: June 29, 2011, 05:01:01 PM »
This is were I started laughing. Nice troll.

Myazaki isn't a troll. Looking at his post history, he's just one of those guys who thought the "Mike Portnoy presents..." version of Dream Theater (i.e., SFAM-BC&SL) was the shit, and thought the sky was falling when Portnoy quit the band. 

Well I didn't think the sky was falling, I wasn't going out of my mind or anything, :lol  but I was dissapointed that my favorite drummer was no longer in my favorite band.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: June 29, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
I gotta say, when I clicked play this morning and I heard the first 30 seconds or so of the song, I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Part of me was kinda worried that DT might not kick ass without MP.  I figured everything would fine, but I was still a little worried.  And as the opening seconds played and I could tell the song was awesome, I smiled and felt really happy.  DT is still alive and kicking ass as much as ever.  Great job, guys!  Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #804 on: June 29, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
On a funny note.  I've left the Youtube page open since I got home at 1pm. :lol
Even funnier, I'm stuck away from home between meetings, so I borrowed headphones from a friend I had lunch with, went to the local library, logged in, and listened to it four straight times.  Fanboy much.