Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345234 times)

Offline Aniland

Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #665 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39:50 AM »
Six times today. That's my limit. It will feel fresh tomorrow.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #666 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »
good song, and I like it more and more after every listen, but I really hope we get to hear more MM in the other songs!!! He's virtually nowhere to be found in this song.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline Addy

« Reply #667 on: June 29, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
Hi everyone, long time lurker here ;)

Well, I'm listening to the song for something like the 10th time now and to me it's great. It's not as riff-oriented as most of the songs on last couple of albums. And it really reminds me of PMU in terms of the structure. But I love the fact that progressive side of DT is back. It has so much 90s vibe to it. And keeping in mind that a single is always one of the weakest songs... Wow, I'm really looking forward to 13 September.

Oh, by the way, did anyone else notice that the song continues from where TCOT ended ? Really cool transition, especially when you cut the fade out in TCOT  ;D

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #668 on: June 29, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Sadly, this song is just as uninspired as much of the past three albums. The vocals and melodies are just there.

The lyrics are my least favorite type of DT lyrics: vaguely politicized and seemingly critical about society. Really, DT's lyrics have been a major MAJOR problem for me for a while now. Could somebody please explain what these lyrics are about, because I don't want an album full of more Sacrificed Sons, Prophets of War, In the Name of God, The Great Debate type stuff. Maybe I'm totally wrong about what this song's about, so I'd like to proven wrong so I can actually enjoy it more.

So far the only thing I like is the intro, the bass being upfront, and one of the riffs. I knew most people would like it, but I guess I'm not much of a fan of new DT anymore. This cements it. :sad:

I hear Justin Beiber is making good music these days....    just a suggestion.  :lol

I really can't understand how anyone that is a DT fan, especially of the earlier stuff couldnt absolutely love this single.

Hurr hurr...Bieber. ::)

This song doesn't sound much at all like earlier DT to me, so I don't really get your point.

The good news is that I thought AROP was the worst song from the last album, and that was the first single. So just because I don't like this new song much doesn't mean the whole album will be bad.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #669 on: June 29, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
That's one thing I'm not getting - the SFAM/I&W vibes others are talking about.  I hear a little PMU in it at times, but other than that, I don't see it.

If you listen for the big picture, it's pretty much the same structure as Pull Me Under. Not saying that in a negative way at all.

To me it's not the vibes of those albums, it's that it seems like the natural progression from that stuff. The overbearing metal aspects of the recent stuff seemed to lose the sort of glory days of those albums for me. But this seems natural. This seems like where DT should be. I love it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »

I really can't understand how anyone that is a DT fan, especially of the earlier stuff couldnt absolutely love this single.

Because it doesn't sound anywhere near the earlier stuff. Maybe a little of Pull Me Under but that's about it. I relate this more to SC than anything.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Sadly, this song is just as uninspired as much of the past three albums. The vocals and melodies are just there.

The lyrics are my least favorite type of DT lyrics: vaguely politicized and seemingly critical about society. Really, DT's lyrics have been a major MAJOR problem for me for a while now. Could somebody please explain what these lyrics are about, because I don't want an album full of more Sacrificed Sons, Prophets of War, In the Name of God, The Great Debate type stuff. Maybe I'm totally wrong about what this song's about, so I'd like to proven wrong so I can actually enjoy it more.

So far the only thing I like is the intro, the bass being upfront, and one of the riffs. I knew most people would like it, but I guess I'm not much of a fan of new DT anymore. This cements it. :sad:

I hear Justin Beiber is making good music these days....    just a suggestion.  :lol

This song doesn't sound much at all like earlier DT to me, so I don't really get your point.

The good news is that I thought AROP was the worst song from the last album, and that was the first single. So just because I don't like this new song much doesn't mean the whole album will be bad.

Honestly, if you don't like this song I can only think of three explanations:

1. You've moved on beyond being able to enjoy this type of things anymore
-
AND/OR
-
2. Your expectations are unreasonably high.
-
AND/OR
-
3. You're still just hard-up about Mike quitting or Dream Theater moving forward without him.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #672 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
I heard John Myung on the first listen! That's awesome. I wasn't even listening specifically for the bass, it just was there in the mix. Drums could be a bit louder, except for that this sounds far better than the last few albums.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #673 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »

Because it doesn't sound anywhere near the earlier stuff. Maybe a little of Pull Me Under but that's about it. I relate this more to SC than anything.

There's WDADU all over this.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #674 on: June 29, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Why does it matter if it sound like I&W or not? It's a great fucking song and it just absorbs every part of me (whatever that means).

Offline yesrushdt

« Reply #675 on: June 29, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »
Why does it matter if it sound like I&W or not? It's a great fucking song.

Agreed.  End of thread. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #676 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
Oh, by the way, did anyone else notice that the song continues from where TCOT ended ? Really cool transition, especially when you cut the fade out in TCOT  ;D

Funny, cuz i was gonna joke last night in a post predicting that the song would do that.  And it almost does (not quite though)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #677 on: June 29, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
Honestly, if you don't like this song I can only think of three explanations:

1. You've moved on beyond being able to enjoy this type of things anymore
-
AND/OR
-
2. Your expectations are unreasonably high.
-
AND/OR
-
3. You're still just hard-up about Mike quitting or Dream Theater moving forward without him.

1. The band's music has changed considerably over the past three albums. I find it harder to enjoy that style than their earlier stuff, but there are still some good songs here and there and I thought BC&SL was a step up from Octavarium and SC.

2. I had somewhat low expectations.

3. Way off. I'm actually glad he left.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #678 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
I heard John Myung on the first listen! That's awesome. I wasn't even listening specifically for the bass, it just was there in the mix. Drums could be a bit louder, except for that this sounds far better than the last few albums.

I sorta know what you mean.  I was listening for the bass just naturally, but not in a "how will John Myung sound on this album?" kind of way.  Then the music broke in and I was like WOWOMG BASS!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #679 on: June 29, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »
i think we just take petrucci for granted cause he does it all the time, but he is absolutely owning this track

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #680 on: June 29, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
The part just after 6:47 reminds me of I&W. So awesome!

Exactly this!!! AWESOME!!
And indeed I hear some Static Impulse too!

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #681 on: June 29, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »

There's WDADU all over this.

Completely agree, i find tons of WDADU and LTE all over the song.  I like the Light Fuse and Get Away reference @ 2:22, everytime i hear that part in lfaga i think.. why they don't do that more often (or at least once).

Offline Vajra

« Reply #682 on: June 29, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
This song is fucking amazing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #683 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:10 PM »
Man, what a difference a proper listen to the track makes. I was about to come in and say I didn't like it that much, but now that I did a "focused listening" of it, that is a solid tune, damnit. Has a lot of AROP elements in it I find.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #684 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »

Well one thing that jumps out is that you can hear each member of the band very distinctly with less of the newr JMx distortion (more clean fast riffing in the likeness of I&W, Awake and WDADU).  The transitions between prhasings are more in the vibe of the earlier stuff.  I am not trying to say that it is EXACTLY like thier earlier work however, it just kind of makes me put this song in line with the pre TOT era stuff
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #685 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
LTE and DT have become one. and i like it

i like uhh-lot

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »
1st listen = liked it; 2nd listen = loved it.

Great, great song. I'm very pleased.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #687 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
For me this song sounds like a mixture of old and new, not one or the other.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #688 on: June 29, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »

I would agree. They seem to have found a nice middle ground for me.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #689 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »
I wish they'd release a high quality download of it - Youtube downloads sound terrible.

Also, anyone curious as to what that woman is saying at the start of the track? It's as if its being played backwards, I wonder who it is as well....

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #690 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »

Yup, definitely. And a good mixture at that, I might add.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #691 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
One thing that bugs me a bit is JP's somewhat uninspired riffage during verses, which kinda muddles up whatever the underlying chords are supposed to be.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dongringo

« Reply #692 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
I wish they'd release a high quality download of it - Youtube downloads sound terrible.

Agreed. Some people are already mentioning the production, but it's really just the quality of the youtube clip. The album will most definitely sound much better.

Edit: I meant Mix, not Production.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #693 on: June 29, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
i think we just take petrucci for granted cause he does it all the time, but he is absolutely owning this track

I actually think Rudess is the MVP of this track.  The keyboards are so prominent and effective.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #694 on: June 29, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
I love how the octobans sound so DT-ish.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #695 on: June 29, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »
Some people have mentioned that the chorus (and overall melodies) seem a little lackluster... but after having given the song a second and third listen, I'm really starting to dig the chorus, especially the "Tears fall from the shameless"  :metal

The song's pretty easy to sing along to as well, so that's always fun  :D

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
I did a quick and terrible photoshop job to see how this labum cover would look without the clown and airplaen

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #697 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
Damn I can't wait for a CD version of this. The more I listen, the more I think the mix is far better than the usual. Not too trebly, enough bass, bass drum doesn't sound like a snare (the difference between the snare and bass drum on BC&SL was at times almost nothing)
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #698 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
One thing that bugs me a bit is JP's somewhat uninspired riffage during verses, which kinda muddles up whatever the underlying chords are supposed to be.

rumborak

True, a couple of progression related notes would've been welcome there.

I like how the focus here is almost solely on melody, proggy/symphonicness and energy. I love the new direction, and how awesome are the re-introduced old school elements. The heaviness is dosed pretty well, with the heavy ending being extremely theatral. Damn. It's just a great fookin' song I guess.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #699 on: June 29, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »
wait til its off youtube, the mix will sound better