Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 342541 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

The only accurate response upon hearing this news.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Fran521

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
HYPEEEEEEEEE!!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
Whoops, just made a thread about this before I saw the sticky. Luckily it was locked WITHIN SECONDS!  :lol :lol

Damn Nick you're quick

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2011, 01:49:54 PM »
Damn Nick you're quick

If I had a quarter for every time I've heard that...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
Tomorrow will be awesome.

I'll be ready with my F5...

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
Damn Nick you're quick

If I had a quarter for every time I've heard that...

as long as the wrife/girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't tell you so :lol
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline robwebster

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
Don't know if anyone else picked this up... but according to DT.net, it's gonna be streaming on the roadrunnerrecords YouTube.

Ew.

Ah well, least I've got a full AudioHijack licence.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
Stupid youtube. I can't listen at work!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
Stupid youtube. I can't listen at work!

yep, im in the same boat. gonna be a longgggggg day tomorrow

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 02:15:13 PM »
Don't know if anyone else picked this up... but according to DT.net, it's gonna be streaming on the roadrunnerrecords YouTube.

Ew.

isn't that agaisnst the forum rules? i'm sorry i'm somehow /sometimes lost with that. and i dont want to drag about it, or start the discussion which has been done a zillion times before ending up in flame wars and bans....

it's on youtube so it's official...ok?
if i use audicity and record the stream and make an mp3 out of it and talk about it...than that's against rule 2? or....?
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline robwebster

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »

Ew.

isn't that agaisnst the forum rules? i'm sorry i'm somehow /sometimes lost with that. and i dont want to drag about it, or start the discussion which has been done a zillion times before ending up in flame wars and bans....

it's on youtube so it's official...ok?
if i use audicity and record the stream and make an mp3 out of it and talk about it...than that's against rule 2? or....?
I think distribution would be against the rules. Recording for private use isn't much of a crime, seeing as it's material that I have access to anyway.

But if I'm wrong, then heck! It's been seven years, I'm probably well overdue a ban.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »
Not to take anything away from the band or RoadRunner, but I'm fairly sure that they knew what the single was going to be and that they mixed/mastered it first in order to get ready for its release as a single.

I don't see why they would do that.  It would actually make releasing the single more expensive.  If everything was mixed mastered together and is done today, all you have to do is get an mp3 file from the mastering engineer and upload it to Youtube tomorrow.  If you mix/master it in a separate session you have to pay more money both for Andy Wallace (not a cheap mixer) and especially for the mastering engineer (a cheap mastering engineer costs almost $100 an hour, and I doubt DT used a cheap engineer).

It's not like before where if you want to release a single you need the final song done weeks in advance.  If RR wanted to release the single after it was done this morning, they could have.

I wasn't insisting it was done in a separate session, just that when it came time to mix they did that song first, and then when it came time to master they once again did it first.
Except that JP confirmed that mixing and mastering finished today.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ubit

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
I love the look and feel of the artwork so far.  It is very refreshing and bright.  Not as cool as the fan artwork on that one thread, but we all knew that would be that case.  :-)
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »

Ew.

So does it mean it will be available only at 11:00am and will be played once, like live stream and will not be available later??

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »
i think it will be on youtube for a long time. robably forever. some labels put whole albums up there

Offline robwebster

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »

Ew.

So does it mean it will be available only at 11:00am and will be played once, like live stream and will not be available later??
I think that's just the time it goes live. It'd be very mean to stream it only the once - plus, loads of people would miss the start.

I hope so, anyway.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
Yeah I hope that I could hear it when I'll be back... word stream misleads me...

Offline Setebos

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »
:caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine:

But Youtube, eh? Crap. I'm almost certain to see a "Sorry - video not available in your country" (Same thing already happened with the TSCO documentary).
Well, gonna have to wait for alternative links then...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
I wonder when it will be released on iTunes
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
i think it will be on youtube for a long time. robably forever. some labels put whole albums up there
I'm reasonably certain that they don't. You're probably thinking of people who rip the album and illegally upload all the songs.

But you're right about this song, I imagine it will stay up for good.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Cool!  :tup...

Tin

Offline John94

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »
Well..."Locust" by Machine Head has been on youtube for a few weeks.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Oh piss lips, I'm starting work when the stream starts.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »
I'm reasonably certain that they don't. You're probably thinking of people who rip the album and illegally upload all the songs.

May I introduce to you sumerian records?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
Not to take anything away from the band or RoadRunner, but I'm fairly sure that they knew what the single was going to be and that they mixed/mastered it first in order to get ready for its release as a single.

I don't see why they would do that.  It would actually make releasing the single more expensive.  If everything was mixed mastered together and is done today, all you have to do is get an mp3 file from the mastering engineer and upload it to Youtube tomorrow.  If you mix/master it in a separate session you have to pay more money both for Andy Wallace (not a cheap mixer) and especially for the mastering engineer (a cheap mastering engineer costs almost $100 an hour, and I doubt DT used a cheap engineer).

It's not like before where if you want to release a single you need the final song done weeks in advance.  If RR wanted to release the single after it was done this morning, they could have.

I wasn't insisting it was done in a separate session, just that when it came time to mix they did that song first, and then when it came time to master they once again did it first.
Except that JP confirmed that mixing and mastering finished today.

What's your point? The mastering of the ALBUM finished today. That doesn't mean the song wasn't mastered a week ago.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline krands85

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »
Damn, I'm going to visit a friend tomorrow and planned to leave home at EXACTLY the time this is being released! Might have to risk missing my train :D

Great news anyway  :hefdaddy
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
yeeehaaaaa!

Woodrow!

too bad I work until 5.........grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I wont check this thread until I hear it. 

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »

But you're right about this song, I imagine it will stay up for good.

yes full albums are uploaded by certain record labels. though not as big as RR, but it does happen

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
Oh ok, maybe smaller independent labels, fair enough. Haven't seen it before but it's a cool idea.

What's your point? The mastering of the ALBUM finished today. That doesn't mean the song wasn't mastered a week ago.
My point was that your point is irrelevant. It may well have been finished a week ago. But the song isn't being released until tomorrow, and the whole album is finished, so when it was finished makes no difference. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
It does make a difference because people are all like, "OMGZ, mastering just finished today and tomorrow RoadRunner is releasing a single". It's more likely they've had the finished version of a track for the last week, have been preparing for the release of it, and the fact that the rest of the album was finished today is what's irrelevant.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
The song could have been mastered today and released today.  It's not very hard to upload something to youtube.  Doesn't really take much effort.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »
Shame it's a single. Those usually aren't as good as the other tracks, but I'm still excited. I feel confident about this album.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »
The song could have been mastered today and released today.  It's not very hard to upload something to youtube.  Doesn't really take much effort.

Yes, if Dream Theater was an unknown band on some random tiny label that might be how it's done. But they're not and this is RoadRunner, things are done with a little more preparation, or at least I'd hope they are.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
It does make a difference because people are all like, "OMGZ, mastering just finished today and tomorrow RoadRunner is releasing a single". It's more likely they've had the finished version of a track for the last week, have been preparing for the release of it, and the fact that the rest of the album was finished today is what's irrelevant.

Nick is correct.  Labels plan way ahead with the band on what they want to release and so forth but who cares. We get to hear new DT tomorrow!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC