Poll

Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?

Rainbow - Rising
23 (39%)
Rush - 2112
36 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: POLL: Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: POLL: Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2021, 08:04:56 AM »

He’s not generally as flashy as Blackmore although he does have some killer solos.  A lot of his stuff though is more about being innovative in creating these weird jagged guitar moments rather than a really flashy and melodic solo. 

You don't find his solos to be melodic? Really?

Funnily enough, now I’m trying to find an example of what I mean, I can’t find one but I’ve always felt he does quite a few weird solos (for want of a better word).  Not traditional melodic rock guitar solos like a Richie Sambora in Bon Jovi or the classically influenced stuff like Ritchie Blackmore.  More experimental sounding and unexpected.  There are some that are very melodic and beautiful sounding don’t get me wrong, he is a great melodic player both within the song and in solos.  There are many songs though where I’m like “where did this solo come from” it’s not what I was expecting.

I’m probably so used to them now though that they don’t sound weird anymore!

He’s one of the best guitarists I’ve ever seen live.

I dunno, how about these songs:

Closer to the Heart
Red Barchetta
Limelight
Available Light
The Garden

Maybe?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »
The Body Electric is an example of the type of solo I mean, Tom Sawyer as well to a degree.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2021, 01:39:01 PM »
The Body Electric is an example of the type of solo I mean, Tom Sawyer as well to a degree.

Then maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean. I thought you were saying that Alex was very melodic. Am I wrong about that?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2021, 05:32:36 PM »
What I was saying that, while he does do some really great melodic solos, he often chooses to do more weird slightly out there solos.